Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Running Backs

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't view Samuel as a future every down back and in this draft,  I want to come away with a solid future #1.  

I view Samuel as a great complimentary back.    Your change of pace back.   

This draft offers a large number of both....    everyday backs,  and complimentary backs.

I think the Colts will be looking for the next Frank Gore and take his eventual replacement.

I love Turbin.     Glad we signed him and want to bring hm back.    But I don't see him getting that many touches. He's a specialty back.

He could easily put on 10-15 pounds and be an everydown back, but just my opinion..He isn't tiny at all just a little light..I would much rather have him than Kamara..He is a 4.36 forty guy..I just think he would make our offense scary. ..

6 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I overhype my guys like you overhype Pagano...McKinley has zero cover ability Watt is gonna be waaaay better. ...

Somebodies mad!  Problem is I ain't the only one telling you this my brother.        You're probably the only guy on this entire forum talking about Watt.  Takk has plenty of athleticism and he's a Pass Rusher.  Nobody cares about his cover ability.  He's a good athlete so I see no problem whatsoever if we tried to use him that way.  I'm okay with Watt but not at 15.  I never overhype Pagano, I state facts instead of saying silly stuff about Jimbo Fisher and Dabo Sweeney coming in to do better than him.  Or stuff like Turbin being a 1500 yard back when Pete Caroll who loves to run didn't even see that kind of ability in him.    I never state someone can't do better than Pagano, in fact I've named names of people I'd be cool with having other than him.  Just not the guys you've talked about like Gruden who was with the Bucs for 6 years after his Super Bowl and didn't do much there after.   

24 minutes ago, krunk said:

Somebodies mad!  Problem is I ain't the only one telling you this my brother.        You're probably the only guy on this entire forum talking about Watt.  Takk has plenty of athleticism and he's a Pass Rusher.  Nobody cares about his cover ability.  He's a good athlete so I see no problem whatsoever if we tried to use him that way.  I'm okay with Watt but not at 15.  I never overhype Pagano, I state facts instead of saying silly stuff about Jimbo Fisher and Dabo Sweeney coming in to do better than him.  Or stuff like Turbin being a 1500 yard back when Pete Caroll who loves to run didn't even see that kind of ability in him.    I never state someone can't do better than Pagano, in fact I've named names of people I'd be cool with having other than him.  Just not the guys you've talked about like Gruden who was with the Bucs for 6 years after his Super Bowl and didn't do much there after.   

Lol...I never said nothing about Jimbo, i do think Swinney could be a good coach..I said Shanahan could make Turbin a 1500 yd back, but didn't mean for it to be taken Literally...smh..I don't know about Turbin Id have to see him get 20 carries to see, I like the way he runs though..You said you like McCafferey correct?  Samuel is basically the same size runs a 4.36 while McCafferey runs a 4.5, and Samuel is just as good if not a better receiver. ..If Barnett is gone at 15 I have Watt as my 2nd best OLB Colts could get "IF" we insist on edge in 1st..I would take Hooker, Fournette, Cook, Adams, Thomas, Foster, and Cunningham over him though...I doubt Watt is gonna be there in 2nd, but McKinley will especially with the shoulder..

6 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Lol...I never said nothing about Jimbo, i do think Swinney could be a good coach..I said Shanahan could make Turbin a 1500 yd back, but didn't mean for it to be taken Literally...smh..I don't know about Turbin Id have to see him get 20 carries to see, I like the way he runs though..You said you like McCafferey correct?  Samuel is basically the same size runs a 4.36 while McCafferey runs a 4.5, and Samuel is just as good if not a better receiver. ..If Barnett is gone at 15 I have Watt as my 2nd best OLB Colts could get "IF" we insist on edge in 1st..I would take Hooker, Fournette, Cook, Adams, Thomas, Foster, and Cunningham over him though...I doubt Watt is gonna be there in 2nd, but McKinley will especially with the shoulder..

Where's the Mcaffrey like production?   Mcaffrey produces and he's a little bit bigger than Samuel.   I do agree Samuel can gain weight.  Plenty of people come out of school 198 and bulk up to 210-215.   I don't think he's the same as Mcaffrey.  And even plenty of people are saying Mcaffrey himself isn't a 30 carry guy.  Not that I necessarily buy in 100 percent to those arguments.  I think it's easy for a 205lb back to put on 10 lbs, although I think Mcaffrey is maybe more suited for a RBBC.  I don't put it out of the realm of reality that he couldn't do at least 15-20 carries though. 

45 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

He could easily put on 10-15 pounds and be an everydown back, but just my opinion..He isn't tiny at all just a little light..I would much rather have him than Kamara..He is a 4.36 forty guy..I just think he would make our offense scary. ..

I'd much rather have Kamara,  but I think both are complimentary backs, and not primary backs.

Both are GREAT.     No doubt about it.    But I want the primary guy.

And I don't think someone like Samuel should gain 10-15 pounds.....    I don't want him to lose what makes him special....      he's got freakish speed and quickness.     He might not with extra baggage....

Just now, krunk said:

Where's the Mcaffrey like production?   Mcaffrey produces and he's a little bit bigger than Samuel.   I do agree Samuel can gain weight.  Plenty of people come out of school 198 and bulk up to 210-215.   I don't think he's the same as Mcaffrey.  And even plenty of people are saying Mcaffrey himself isn't a 30 carry guy.  Not that I necessarily buy in 100 percent to those arguments.  I think it's easy for a 205lb back to put on 10 lbs, although I think Mcaffrey is maybe more suited for a RBBC.  I don't put it out of the realm of reality that he couldn't do at least 15-20 carries though. 

McCaffery is a round 1 guy though because of that production..I see Samuel with a very similar skillset available in 3rd so we can go defense rd 1 and 2..The reason Samuel doesn't have the production is Barrett carries it a ton so not enough balls to go around..McCaffery gets many more opportunities,  I think Samuel could have similar production in McCafferey's role at Stanford..

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd much rather have Kamara,  but I think both are complimentary backs, and not primary backs.

And I don't think someone like Samuel should gain 10-15 pounds.....    I don't want him to lose what makes him special....      he's got freakish speed and quickness.     He might not with extra baggage....

I agree Id use him for what he is like Hill in KC..But for value in the 3rd I like him, and he could make our offense much more dynamic..Id be fine with him splitting carries with Turbin or Gore...I like the thought of us going 4 wide with Samuel in the slot too much speed to cover..The only 3 down guys who have potential to be special in my opinion are Fournette, Cook, and Foreman...

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

He is a BEAST too..This class is freakin loaded..

He'd probably be okay in a Trio with Gore and Turbin.  Or just Perine and Gore taking most of the carries and Turbin in his usual role.  Perine getting most of the carries probably. 

Just now, krunk said:

He'd probably be okay in a Trio with Gore and Turbin.  Or just Perine and Gore taking most of the carries and Turbin in his usual role. 

The deeper I look into this class the more I'm ok with finding a potential stud in the 3rd...If we take one, I think Gore needs to go..I doubt he'll settle being a #2 guy and it could cause problems..

Just now, jshipp23 said:

The deeper I look into this class the more I'm ok with finding a potential stud in the 3rd...If we take one, I think Gore needs to go..I doubt he'll settle being a #2 guy and it could cause problems..

I don't think a guy who is 34-35 yrs old will put up too much fight about being 2nd as long as the young guy actually is better than him. I think Gore would be okay.

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm going to eat crow and give you credit for saying this RB class is extremely deep,  and we can find a very good back in round 3 or 4 NCF..You were right I was wrong..Not an easy thing for me to say either..

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I don't think a guy who is 34-35 yrs old will put up too much fight about being 2nd as long as the young guy actually is better than him. I think Gore would be okay.

He is a pretty proud guy, if he is ok with it i'm ok with it..I like Turbin better, but haven't seen a big enough sample size to know for sure if he could handle it..

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

The other back from Oklahoma seems pretty good too.  Samaje Perine

I like Perine too....   but my reading of him says he's got one big flaw....

Oklahoma used him a ton.....   my memory says well over 600 touches.....    and the worry is he won't have a long career.      I'll try and go double check that to be sure....      but he had a very heavy workload.    Even with Dixon as his back-up...

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

We pick them because they are the best player available in a position of need.  We have more than one need you know.  Even if you rank a defensive need ahead of RB need you don't pass up the higher rated player.  But if we do take a RB I guess we will know they were rated higher.  

Higher rated players get passed up for players with more positional value all the time.

Hello, I've been frequenting the forum for some time but only just made an account. This is my first post so what's up everyone!

I personally believe that we should go defense with the first pick as clearly our defense leaves much to be desired, especially in the pass rushing department. However if we do go running back I prefer Cook to Fournette. Fournette's style I'm not so sure is a good fit in our offense, as constructed. Cook is a much better receiver and the better fit imo. My favorite back in this draft however is Joe Mixon (though I am biased as I've known him growing up through high school). Watching him throughout high school, as well as being an Oklahoma fan my whole life (family is from there) I've gotten to see quite a bit of him. I believe he is a perfect fit in this offense and adds the big play ability we have been lacking at the position, as well as an exceptional receiving threat. I know I'm going to be paying attention to where he goes, hopefully to Indy somewhere in this draft.

I just saw him in the american vs national collegiate bowl. Check out taquan mizzell, not a big name hadn't heard of him till this all star game...but maaaan. I'm all for getting a RB in any round but the 2nd, isn't one worth it but McCaffery who won't be there anyways, but if we wait go D heavy for 4 straight rounds and take this guy in the 5th! Oooo, needs to put on weight, but reminds me of shady McCoy if im being honest. Went to Virginia, but was not the main back which is kind of concerning, or maybe his coaches where just dumb but insane agility and cutting ability, patient and very good and setting up blocks, and catches the ball as good as any back in the draft

Spending a 1st or 2nd on a RB would be foolish no matter who is available. However, this is the year to get a RB because of the loaded class. I like Kamara or Jamaal Williams in the 3rd. Williams averaged 6 ypc against some elite defensive talent with a below average O-line. Also with 700+ carries on his career he only had 2 lost fumbles. At 6'2 220 he's one of the bigger backs in the draft. 

What are the chances of us using both 4s to move back up into the third to take jamal willams, kareem hunt, Joe mixon maybe, Wayne gallaman? I think the 3rd round is full of 2nd round talent at RB and CB so why not double dip? By the 4th things will be pretty dried up, I'd rather have an impact player then two average players.

On 1/23/2017 at 1:53 AM, Luck 4 president said:

Spending a 1st or 2nd on a RB would be foolish no matter who is available. However, this is the year to get a RB because of the loaded class. I like Kamara or Jamaal Williams in the 3rd. Williams averaged 6 ypc against some elite defensive talent with a below average O-line. Also with 700+ carries on his career he only had 2 lost fumbles. At 6'2 220 he's one of the bigger backs in the draft. 

Actually measured in at 6'0" at the Senior Bowl which is perfect height.

On 1/21/2017 at 1:44 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Just give me mixon in the 3rd or 4th round 

Because Mixon believed at one point that he had the right to defend himself when a female was assaulting him from what I've read he might not even be drafted.  

If that is the case we could take him in the 7th.  

9 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Because Mixon believed at one point that he had the right to defend himself when a female was assaulting him from what I've read he might not even be drafted.  

If that is the case we could take him in the 7th.  

I don't see that happening I'd take it tho lol

1. Fournette RB (If Reuben Foster ILB is unavailable...)

2. DE, ILB (If Fournette, then McMillan ILB)

3. DT, DE, CB, LB

No RBs until the fourth round (Unless Fournette in the first) at the earliest...to many holes on Defense.

4. Mixon RB

4. S, CB

5/6. LB, RB, OT, CB...

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Actually measured in at 6'0" at the Senior Bowl which is perfect height.

Only drawback I have on Williams is he was looking to retire from College Football at one point.  He's playing now though, but maybe a small concern about long term commitment.   Who knows?

On 1/21/2017 at 2:23 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I like Perine too....   but my reading of him says he's got one big flaw....

Oklahoma used him a ton.....   my memory says well over 600 touches.....    and the worry is he won't have a long career.      I'll try and go double check that to be sure....      but he had a very heavy workload.    Even with Dixon as his back-up...

Would depend on how we use him.  If we are splitting carries like we'd probably do that would preserve him some.