Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What are your thoughts on Grigsons latest draft class?

RockThatBlue

Do you think Grigson did a good job with this draft, as far as you can tell? 

I know you can't really evaluate a draft fully for a couple years, but I just want to see what everyone thinks so far.

I think this will turn out to be one of Grigsons best drafts based off of what we have seen. 

The o linemen Grigson drafted look to be solid, with potential stars in Kelly and Haeg. Clark, while still not fully there, has potential. I think Ridgeway can end up a nice player, he made a few nice plays almost every game. Green and Morrison are up and down, but both have potential IMO.

What do you all think?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kelly and Haeg we're absolute finds. Clark has a chance to really mold into something. Ridgeway has the talent but the motor is the issue, hopefully the light comes on. I think you could have gotten much better players than Green and Morrison where you drafted them. I thought that at the time they were drafted and I still think that now. Overall, just very solid because you did what you set out to do, get more talent on the OL.

6 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Too early to tell. I think he was forced by Irsay to draft that way. I don't think Kelly was the best player available but he was definitely a need. Hopefully they all work out. 

At least in the first round, BPA didn't work for us in 2015, drafting for need did work for us in 2016.

23 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

I think it was a decent draft. We'll see how Clark and Green look next year.. not too excited our 2nd and 3rd picks were projects. 

I thought Clark was decent when he played here at the end of the season and besides a few mistakes did a good job Green has a lot to learn he started the season ok but after that he stunk so I don't know if he is going to work out or not.

9 minutes ago, bababooey said:

At least in the first round, BPA didn't work for us in 2015, drafting for need did work for us in 2016.

Who besides Grig's thought Dorsett was the BPA?

This class if you are going on need like we did in the 1st we should have went OLB in the 2nd. Clark isn't as bad too me.

Morrison was another wasted pick with 2 CB's and 3 RB's sitting there. Morrison is in the same mold as Herrera and Jackson very slow box backers without much future 

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I thought Clark was decent when he played here at the end of the season and besides a few mistakes did a good job Green has a lot to learn he started the season ok but after that he stunk so I don't know if he is going to work out or not.

Maybe Irsay wasn't looking when he picked Green. 

I liked the Clark and Kelly picks, but I was against the Green pick from the start.  I think he was the lowest ranked safety in pass coverage in college, but I feel like Grigson fell in love with his physical attributes and had pipe dreams of turning him into Kam Chancellor 2.0.  Ridgeway has shown promise too

3 minutes ago, akcolt said:

This class if you are going on need like we did in the 1st we should have went OLB in the 2nd. Clark isn't as bad too me.

Morrison was another wasted pick with 2 CB's and 3 RB's sitting there. Morrison is in the same mold as Herrera and Jackson very slow box backers without much future 

Maybe the Texans ? Word was that they were trying to trade into NE's spot to take him before we took him.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/5/1/8532031/report-texans-tried-to-trade-back-into-first-round-to-get-phillip

45 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Do you think Grigson did a good job with this draft, as far as you can tell? 

I know you can't really evaluate a draft fully for a couple years, but I just want to see what everyone thinks so far.

I think this will turn out to be one of Grigsons best drafts based off of what we have seen. 

The o linemen Grigson drafted look to be solid, with potential stars in Kelly and Haeg. Clark, while still not fully there, has potential. I think Ridgeway can end up a nice player, he made a few nice plays almost every game. Green and Morrison are up and down, but both have potential IMO.

What do you all think?

Ryan Kelly - he's an above average center. More talented players available, but I guess it's better than having Harrison at center. 

TJ Green - he had an awful rookie season. Not sold on him whatsoever. Bad Grigson pick.

Le'Raven Clark - showed small promise towards the end, so there's that.

Ridgeway - showed decent play this season. Not sure if he will ever be a full time starter.

Antonio Morrison - liked him out of college, but he isn't a starting ILB. Needs to develop more.

Joe Haeg - meh. Average guard that has potential. 

Blythe - Doesn't look to be a starter anytime soon. More for depth.

10 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Just about everybody.  The criticism then was that the forum said the WR position was stacked and that taking another WR was a luxury pick.  BPA or need?  The criticism was that he didn't draft for need, like a S in Collins or a DT in Brown.  So he must have drafted BPA.

If people are going to blindly criticize no matter what, they should at least try to keep their arguments straight from one season to the next.

Here's how I look at it: 

Do I see any potential pro bowl players from this class? No. 

Do I see any starters from our class? Yes - I see Kelly, Haeg, and Clark starting next season. Not sure about Ridgeway.

Do I see any depth players that will be here for the long term? I can see Morrison, Ridgeway, and Blythe being here for the full four-five years as role players. Nothing more.

TJ Green? I don't know. Maybe he should convert to nickel/slot CB because he did not work out at S.

It seems to me like we got 3 Day 1 2017 starters (Kelly, Haeg, Clark) in this draft so I can't complain too much. There's potential for that to be 4 (Ridgeway). As with any somewhat successful rookie class, the long-term success of the draft will be determined by how the staff develops these guys. We haven't really seen that happen much yet.

Still not a fan of the Green pick. I don't like projects very often though.

Happy with Kelly. Green just needs awareness that will come with experience. Clark looked good towards the end of the year. Haeg made strides too, looked better at OG than OT. Morrison looks like a 2 down player to me but that's not a huge surprise. 

Overall pretty decent. I just wish we could have the Trent Richardson, Werner and Dorsett picks back. 

I think it's a really good one.

Kelly was a good center this year let a lone a good rookie center.

Haeg played like a rookie ups and downs but I think showed if he develops he will be a starter for a long time.

Clark got action late in the season and you didn't hear his name much which is a good sign for a rookie lineman.  If they came out of this draft with three starters on the oline that's a huge step forward.

Ridgeway showed promise for a rookie on the line and seemed to have a nose for the QB.  If he's not a starter I think he will be a solid contributor going forward.  

Morrison can lay the wood but looked slow and lost when he wasn't going after someone straight on a line.  He needs some solid coaching but there is talent there,

Green was a bit disappointing.  He got flagged for dumb things way too often and looked very lost in the secondary, he needs a lot of coaching,

Blythe is what he what he is a backup linemen who can play in a pinch but won't give you much beyond that but that's okay for a 7th round pick.

they let their other 7th rounder walk but he's a 7th rounder that's not unexpected.  

55 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I liked the Clark and Kelly picks, but I was against the Green pick from the start.  I think he was the lowest ranked safety in pass coverage in college, but I feel like Grigson fell in love with his physical attributes and had pipe dreams of turning him into Kam Chancellor 2.0.  Ridgeway has shown promise too

Green was a Pagano pick.  

45 minutes ago, MTC said:

Ryan Kelly - he's an above average center. More talented players available, but I guess it's better than having Harrison at center. 

TJ Green - he had an awful rookie season. Not sold on him whatsoever. Bad Grigson pick.

Le'Raven Clark - showed small promise towards the end, so there's that.

Ridgeway - showed decent play this season. Not sure if he will ever be a full time starter.

Antonio Morrison - liked him out of college, but he isn't a starting ILB. Needs to develop more.

Joe Haeg - meh. Average guard that has potential. 

Blythe - Doesn't look to be a starter anytime soon. More for depth.

Again. Green was the player that Pagano pounded on the table saying he HAD TO HAVE HIM

so that's not on Grigson 

1 minute ago, Coltfreak said:

Again. Green was the player that Pagano pounded on the table saying he HAD TO HAVE HIM

so that's not on Grigson 

I've heard this a handful of times throughout the year. I'm not saying you're wrong, but where did this come from? 

If true, then you could say Grigson batted 1.000 on the picks he was realistically capable of adding solid players. 5th round and later is such a toss-up anything you get out of those guys is a bonus.

24 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

so that's not on Grigson 

Yep, I know it's a Pagano favorite, but at the end of the day, it's Grigson picking the players.

Green will be garbage if he doesn't learn how to stop head hunting and flying in with s shoulder..man it was annoying seeing him fly like a middle at people like Landry and miss the damn tackle when he could've wrapped someone up..and i refuse to discuss his coverage lmao that was just amusing to see him left covering Anyone..everyone else besides Morison and Blythe I sorta like and think they have potential 

Kelly was a good pick for sure. I think Ridgeway and Haeg were fine.

Green did not look good in the regular season. Part of that is on Grigson but Pagano deserves some blame too, imo. I think it's safe to assume that Pagano is ok with the defensive players drafted. Plus, he hinted that he was not in favor of moving back in the second round and taking the chance of missing out on Green. Green can certainly bounce back and improve but so far that doesn't look like a good pick.

To me, Le'Raven Clark is the x factor in the group. He has the potential to end up being a starting left tackle this league or he can still be a bust or somewhere in between. I feel there was reason to be optimistic about his progress so hopefully he just keeps improving.

My goodness this forum (not all posters) kills me with their superb ability to second guess after a season. 

kelly is exactly what we needed and he has delivered at a high level this season. If we hadn't picked this guy and taken (X) player instead, this forum would have melted down and the oline may still look like last year. Anyone who complains about picking Kelly or how he performed just will never be satisfied with who we pick unless they win the rookie offensive/defensive MVP of the year awards all in one. 

TJ Green at least has legit merit of not worthy of that 2nd round pick. However, we needed one and supposedly mr CB whisperer himself wanted him and felt with his attributes, he could coach him up. Too early to say bust. 

Clark. The kid was out to learn all season and then handled his job well enough as a raw talent at the RT spot. Several people already think with a bit more time, he will be the future LT in a year or two. Time will tell but I liked what we seen. 

Ridgeway has shown enough from a 4th rounder on a defense that was void of talent and a defensive coordinator who is trying to figure out what it means to be a D.C.  

Morrison hits like a truck and I like his play in that regards. Gets lost in plays at times but hey, he is a 5th round choice who played a lot of snaps. Probably shouldn't be an expectation for a 5th round lb'er who many knew needed work. 

Haeg. Anyone who criticizes this kid is just unhappy in general. Near the end of the draft kid who played 3 spots on the oline when everyone again knew he was a project who needed to add weight and strength yet he went out and played better than many of the seasoned lineman we've had on our line in years past and you want to say he is meh. Come on!! 

Guys stepped up and perhaps over their levels as rookies and one of rhe bunch (tj green) didn't quite live up to a 2nd round pick. Look at the whole rather than the single player. Hmmmm

Didn't like the Green pick and still don't.  Morrison is what we thought he was, an energetic run thumper with some usefulness.  That's okay, he was a 4th rounder (or 5th).  All other picks were rock solid considering position and value.

As far as Green.  I assume Pagano's opinion was sought, since he was a former secondary coach.  So the Green selection I put about 50% on Pagano.

These coaches don't seem to develop young players very well so that'll be something to consider in a couple years when you can truly grade the picks.

There may be someone who becomes a good/great player, but simply from watching this year there weren't any undeniable studs, the types who come in and are good/great right of the bat.

Hope for the best.

55 minutes ago, BCoop said:

I've heard this a handful of times throughout the year. I'm not saying you're wrong, but where did this come from? 

If true, then you could say Grigson batted 1.000 on the picks he was realistically capable of adding solid players. 5th round and later is such a toss-up anything you get out of those guys is a bonus.

Pagano said it 

Clark and Kelly are good. I think Morrison is another none athletic LBer that sucks in coverage only starter here. Blythe isn't much of any impotence at all. Haeg is decent for where he was picked but prolly not a starter on any other NFL team. Green was the worst coverage saftey in the draft who in the hell thinks a player that is the worst in coverage at a position like safety is worthy of a 2nd pick.

Kelly will be either a pro-bowl center or all-pro center in a couple of years so he was a good pick.

Green, I don't know yet.  At times he looked like the athletic safety that can hit which is needed in today's NFL and at other times he looked like a clueless version of Doering.

Clark:  I dd not have a lot of hope for him after the preseason game in Philly.  Although I did state, he was usually in position he just didn't slow down any defender.  But in the last few weeks of the season he looked pretty good.

Ridgway - Good rotational player

Morrison - I think between he and Poundcake they can man the ILB spot for 2017 but an not a long term starter.

Haeg - Most people that have never been a lineman do not know how difficult it is to change sides on an offensive line... not only did Haeg change sides but he played 3 or 4 positions... unreal for a rookie great pick and will be an excellent guard.  Basically the Colts found their replacement for Jake Scott.

Blythe:  I think he makes a better center than guard but I just he does not seem to have the technical skills to compensate totally for his lack of NFL size and strength.  Could be a good back-up for a couple, three years.

17 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Green was the worst coverage saftey in the draft who in the hell thinks a player that is the worst in coverage at a position like safety is worthy of a 2nd pick.

A lot of people.   Ever heard of Gil Brandt??

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000652753/article/hot-100-40-laremy-tunsil-is-top-prospect-in-2016-nfl-draft

Dorsett is an outside receiver just like Hilton so he hasn't had a lot of opportunity,  but you can see his talent he is not a bust...We took him because Hilton was a free agent and they didn't have a guarantee he would be resigned..Last 2 drafts have been very solid...We need to do better in free agency...Still think coaching and developing players is playing a major part..

Dorsett is an outside receiver just like Hilton so he hasn't had a lot of opportunity,  but you can see his talent he is not a bust...We took him because Hilton was a free agent and they didn't have a guarantee he would be resigned..Last 2 drafts have been very solid...We need to do better in free agency...Still think coaching and developing players is playing a major part..