Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

why do you think the Pats are in it every year???

bleed blue4life

10 hours ago, IndyTrav said:

1 Well Coached. Both off and def and know the weaknesses and strengths of themselves and the teams the are playing. 

2 they have an excellent qb who limits mistakes and punishes you if you make one 

3 dysfunctional division 

You sir are on point!

10 hours ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

but you can take away any coaches he has and he still wins , because he holds people accountable and if they don't produce they are gone ,, He doesn't put up with mediocre play, he would trade Brady for the right deal

I don't think it's as much that as it he puts people in the best position to succeed.  When he didn't have the personnel to run the 3-4 that won him three rings he abruptly switched to the 4-3.  When he didn't have the running game to run the pro style that won him three rings he quickly switched to the spread shotgun.  Then switched back to power running when he got a big back and some blocking TEs.

BB doesn't have a SYSTEM.  He does whats best for what he has.  If he has LBs who can't man cover, guess what he doesn't run press man every play (i.e. Pagano).  When he didn't have physical man corners (Asante Samuel) he ran zone.  When he got them (Revis, Talib, etc.) he ran press man. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pats are a clear example of where coaching maximizes talent way better than any team in the league. 

Their O - no first round draft picks, their OL is very well coached by Dante Scarnecchia, the best OL coach around, IMO. Then their D is put in good position for what they can do best by the coaches. Josh McDaniels is the best at scheming guys open and exploiting match ups for his O. Tom Brady is the best at execution.

10 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

For one they wouldn't CELEBRATE like they just won a SB TWO seasons in a row by winning late in the game at home against a 3 win team (Titans last year, Jags this year) to finish the season at 8-8 after ENTERING the game BELOW .500 :facepalm:

Would you like some cheese with that wine?

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Pats are a clear example of where coaching maximizes talent way better than any team in the league. 

Their O - no first round draft picks, their OL is very well coached by Dante Scarnecchia, the best OL coach around, IMO. Then their D is put in good position for what they can do best by the coaches. Josh McDaniels is the best at scheming guys open and exploiting match ups for his O. Tom Brady is the best at execution.

I still stand by the fact that he is their MVP....remember when he retired last year? Brady got killed....now he's back and the great wall of Brady has returned.

11 hours ago, FACE REALITY said:

because the coach is also the gm therefore he can get the players who suit his scheme

This is it right here.  Granted, easier said than done, it takes a very talented person to pull off both jobs successfully. 

You guys know I hate the Patriots , second only to the Steelers. That being said , when I saw Belichick outcoach Harbaugh like a drum this year, I have to admit the guy is a genius. The Colonel Kurtz moment , like a diamond being shot through your forehead, was when the Patriots timed the field goal  block , hurdling the Raven's center on Justin Tucker's field goal attempt. It must have been practiced ad naseum , to make that play. It is that level of preparation and attention to detail that make Belichick great. The other thing is Brady being ageless when Unitas and Manning we clearly slowing down at the same age. 

I feel deflated and plowed over that I had to write this ! 

6 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

The other thing is Brady being ageless when Unitas and Manning we clearly slowing down at the same age. 

I think Manning would still be playing at a 2014 level had he not had the neck injury.  If he could play in that Kubiak adapted all shotgun offense he was in he'd be fine right now barring injuries.  Even in the SB run last season he had the mind just not the arm.

10 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

They're masterfully disciplined, organized, masterfully coached and have a masterful QB.  They will make you absolutely pay for your mistakes and teams don't seem to capitalize when the Pats rarely do make them.  One thing the Patriots do well is game plan well, they often take away opposing teams abilities & best players.  Even things bounce their way in close games.  The whole Patriots philosophy is built on winning every single game,  BB doesn't accept nor take losing.  

True M432. The central point you are really inferring to me, even though you didn't really state it directly, is this: 

BB doesn't get enough credit for being an incredible GM since 2000. He really doesn't. Sure, Aaron Hernandez & Chad Johnson were epic failures longterm, but other than those 2 selections, BB keeps reloading every single yr & winning. It's astonishing actually & even trades like Randy Moss or picking up veterans like DE Chris Long pay dividends at some point during the regular season. 

Every yr, the Grey Hoodie accumulates draft picks, drafts unknown commodities like QB Jimmy G., & you watch in the offseason some franchise will throw a ridiculous offer at NE simply because Jimmy G went 3-1 in Brady's absence. BB revitalized RB Corey Dillon's NFL career. He really did. 

40 minutes ago, tikyle said:

I think Manning would still be playing at a 2014 level had he not had the neck injury.  If he could play in that Kubiak adapted all shotgun offense he was in he'd be fine right now barring injuries.  Even in the SB run last season he had the mind just not the arm.

Johnny was getting arthritic , as the tremendous beating he took back in the days when they didn't protect quarterbacks. Good point on Peyton. 

53 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

You guys know I hate the Patriots , second only to the Steelers. That being said , when I saw Belichick outcoach Harbaugh like a drum this year, I have to admit the guy is a genius. The Colonel Kurtz moment , like a diamond being shot through your forehead, was when the Patriots timed the field goal  block , hurdling the Raven's center on Justin Tucker's field goal attempt. It must have been practiced ad naseum , to make that play. It is that level of preparation and attention to detail that make Belichick great. The other thing is Brady being ageless when Unitas and Manning we clearly slowing down at the same age. 

Yeah, I know. It stings like hades to frequently get schooled by BB's team. But, take some solace in the notion that Baltimore has given NE some  memorable confrontations. Both Brady & BB respect your organization immensely. They truly do. 

Besides, after awhile, being defeated by NE feels like a support group of disgruntled franchises that keeps growing. I take nothing away from Bill & his staff who find new ways to neutral squads every week. It's 1 thing to say it. It's another thing to achieve for 16 weeks like clockwork for over a decade. 

12 hours ago, Robert Johnson said:

Belichick sold his soul to the devil.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

BB sold his soul at the crossroads

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

My father is also of the belief that Bill sold his soul to the devil.  

I just want the Satan to derail the hopes, dreams, & bragging rights of the Dallas Cowboys players & fans. Another story for another thread I know.

However, it's easy to see how Foxbourgh's success on the mountain top can get under other organization's skin & build resentment after awhile. 

Usually, a fiddle is involved in some capacity right? [A Charlie Daniels "Devil Went Down To Georgia" country song anecdote.] 

Before you even say it, I'm leaving; I'm leaving. Quit while you're ahead & still retain a modicum of dignity left. Touche. 

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

level of preparation

this is the key phrase that you can summarize the whole thread down to. There is no team I have ever seen in any sport that appears to be as prepared for virtually any situation as this team...and that goes for 'in-game' preparation as well out-of-game. Bill has an unmatched ability, for example, to see where even small tweaks to the rules (which happen every year) can suddenly render a particular position or scheme less valuable than it was prior to the rule tweak, and he will adjust his roster and depth positions accordingly. I can't even cite a ton of specific situations, because to be honest I don't tend to appreciate it until I watch other games and see the things that go on. It seems like almost every other game I watch I find myself watching some coach mismanage a situation and think "this is just something you never see here".

I feel bad for the person that has to follow Bill when he eventually retires.

It's because of Bill Belichik. Everybody outside of the few remaining Brady homers here can agree with that.

I don't agree with it down to the exact philosophy that the OP says is Bill's. If it were that, players would have tuned him out a long time ago. Players do that pretty often. See all those ex49ers, Vikings, etc who didn't care what the coach did with them after so much of that I'm the coach boss crap. They know that soon either they will be gone and will land on their feet somewhere or the coach will be. Bill somehow keeps them spiritually the same way those other coaches tried to. I don't know how...he just does.

Most points made here are spot on.

Preparation is a big deal with BB. He will prepare players for plays that may not even happen during a season but if they do then they are ready.

Also this struck me. When the Pats were on hard knocks a few years back I saw BB coaching the defense at the 1 FT yard goal line defense. He asked the players what is half the distance to the goal line. They looked perplexed. 6" he told them so if you get a good jump the worst that can happen is off sides and your backed up 6".  If its not called you get the good jump.

Also he is obsessed with plug and play. That is putting players in different positions knowing injuries are a fact of life.

He doesn't spend on high priced corners, safeties, WRs  knowing injuries will happen and to tie that all up on one player is not a good thing, He'd rather spend on good players that can fill in.

And as many have said about his retooling.. last year's success is just that- last year. He focuses on the current year as if they didn't have success before hence the re-tooling.

15 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

They also have the most talented scouting and personnel department in the league. They're also at the forefront of player development. Finally, they're an organization who likes to buck the trend. For example, teams value height, but NE favors shorter agile players. Teams favor opening games by running the ball, but NE throws it with regularity. Teams are too paranoid to go for it on 4th down, but NE realizes what the math is on 4th down and goes for it. Teams favor heavy WR sets, but NE favors TE sets. Teams love 1st round picks and trading up, but NE hates them and trades down.

They do seem to be trend setters more than not.  They have success with Hernandez and Gronk, so teams try to utilize two TEs more.  They have success with short agile guys like Welker and Woodhead and those guys are quickly scooped up by other teams in free agency.  It seems like they set the trend and others follow it.

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

True M432. The central point you are really inferring to me, even though you didn't really state it directly, is this: 

BB doesn't get enough credit for being an incredible GM since 2000. He really doesn't. Sure, Aaron Hernandez & Chad Johnson were epic failures longterm, but other than those 2 selections, BB keeps reloading every single yr & winning. It's astonishing actually & even trades like Randy Moss or picking up veterans like DE Chris Long pay dividends at some point during the regular season. 

Every yr, the Grey Hoodie accumulates draft picks, drafts unknown commodities like QB Jimmy G., & you watch in the offseason some franchise will throw a ridiculous offer at NE simply because Jimmy G went 3-1 in Brady's absence. BB revitalized RB Corey Dillon's NFL career. He really did. 

I agree I wouldn't really call AH a failure overall he was pretty good from what I can recall.  He was just.......a murderer :Yikes:

18 hours ago, IndyTrav said:

Let's be fair here. Brady threw over 400 passes and had 28tds 2int and the 2nd best completion % of his career.....maybe, just maybe, that story line was over blown and he's a really really really good qb? 

Actually, he's really really great.  But that has nothing to do with what I said. You brought up his "punishing" of players.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Actually, he's really really great.  But that has nothing to do with what I said. You brought up his "punishing" of players.

Oh ok I see the confusion. I was implying he punishes the other team if they make a mistake. Not his own team. That's Bill nonsense job 

20 hours ago, IndyTrav said:

Let's be fair here. Brady threw over 400 passes and had 28tds 2int and the 2nd best completion % of his career.....maybe, just maybe, that story line was over blown and he's a really really really good qb? 

I don't think any reasonable person would say Brady isn't a great qb.  That begs the question??  Why cheat??

5 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

I personally don't think he cheated so I don't know the answer to your question. 

The NFL says he did.  They don't let us see the drug test results either.   We just take their word for it.   The fact is he was suspended and the court upheld the ruling

47 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think any reasonable person would say Brady isn't a great qb.  That begs the question??  Why cheat??

it really does beg that question, doesn't it? Why WOULD an unquestionably great QB who has clearly proven over a lengthy career that he doesn't need the help risk his well established reputation to "engage in a scheme" that even if you believe it happened would have provided him with a negligible "advantage" given that we now all understand that balls deflate in the cold weather anyway? It defies logic.

2 minutes ago, Bad Morty said:

it really does beg that question, doesn't it? Why WOULD an unquestionably great QB who has clearly proven over a lengthy career that he doesn't need the help risk his well established reputation to "engage in a scheme" that even if you believe it happened would have provided him with a negligible "advantage" given that we now all understand that balls deflate in the cold weather anyway? It defies logic.

I agree,  Why would they do it?  It doesn't make sense.  Sometimes a culture of cheating just bleeds over to everyone

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The NFL says he did.  They don't let us see the drug test results either.   We just take their word for it.   The fact is he was suspended and the court upheld the ruling

That's all well and good. Don't care. 

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Well,  it's the same kind of proof that puts people in prison everyday.    Didn't really matter if anyone cared or not.  He is a cheater.

Uh no it's not.

You clearly have your opinion and won't be swayed so there is no need for further discussion. 

4 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I agree I wouldn't really call AH a failure overall he was pretty good from what I can recall.  He was just.......a murderer :Yikes:

BB would just say Aaron Hernandez was just thorough, meticulous, & he attacked the ball like a bullet from a gun right? I kid; I kid. 

Aaron was a solid TE too like you say who threw a promising future away in the NFL away. No doubt about it. 

I defended Hernandez initially. Not homicide naturally. Just waiting for more evidence to sort the situation out. I didn't wanna believe a player beloved by the owner who signed a big new contract with NE would be so stupid. You know, walk away from life changing money to retreat back to a gangster/packing lifestyle. Beyond foolish. 

51 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I agree,  Why would they do it?  It doesn't make sense.  Sometimes a culture of cheating just bleeds over to everyone

Maybe...I've loved each one of the 17 cheatin' seasons so whatever. I'm actually looking forward to what this year's accusation will be.

6 hours ago, -JJ- said:

Most points made here are spot on.

Preparation is a big deal with BB. He will prepare players for plays that may not even happen during a season but if they do then they are ready.

Also this struck me. When the Pats were on hard knocks a few years back I saw BB coaching the defense at the 1 FT yard goal line defense. He asked the players what is half the distance to the goal line. They looked perplexed. 6" he told them so if you get a good jump the worst that can happen is off sides and your backed up 6".  If its not called you get the good jump.

Also he is obsessed with plug and play. That is putting players in different positions knowing injuries are a fact of life.

He doesn't spend on high priced corners, safeties, WRs  knowing injuries will happen and to tie that all up on one player is not a good thing, He'd rather spend on good players that can fill in.

And as many have said about his retooling.. last year's success is just that- last year. He focuses on the current year as if they didn't have success before hence the re-tooling.

Hey JJ, 

Nice to see a post from you again. That's the thing with Bill. He throws so many situations at players in practice that by the time the game rolls around it feels easy, or at least much; much simpler. And all his SBs rings as a DC & HC, give his instructions/teachings gospel like acceptance yr after yr where nothing gets questioned or defied as a player on offense, defense, or special teams. 

Very few coaches have Bill's clout, cache, & universal credibility. He's earned that rare air status. 

1 minute ago, Bad Morty said:

Maybe...I've loved each one of the 17 cheatin' seasons so whatever. I'm actually looking forward to what this year's accusation will be.

Just like Bonds fans were looking forward to him psssing Hank Aaron.  Or Lance Armstrong fans rooting for him.   I get it.   Integrity means little.   I would probably feel the same way,  but I guess I'll never know