Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

why do you think the Pats are in it every year???

bleed blue4life

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

1 Well Coached. Both off and def and know the weaknesses and strengths of themselves and the teams the are playing. 

2 they have an excellent qb who limits mistakes and punishes you if you make one 

3 dysfunctional division 

If  Brady's punishment worked why does Edelman seemingly drop a pass every game?

There are several reasons why I think the Pats are always good.

1. They adapt and evolve. I don't feel they get stuck on specific systems year after year. They evolve what they do and adapt to what their players who are playing each week do best. 

2. They are not relying on the same talented players. Tom Brady has been the only constant for them. Most teams who have successful runs, granted most runs are not as long as what the Pats have, rely on the same guys. They don't get attached to keeping the same guys.

3. They bring in some talented players without using major resources. I think Corey Dillon was one, Randy Moss, Aqib Talib, and Darrelle Revis are a few others that come to mind. This allows them to have some really talented veterans without using a high draft pick or a lot of their cap space on them.

4. They maintain an edge and a focus. I don't know exactly how Belichick does it but it's my impression.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

If  Brady's punishment worked why does Edelman seemingly drop a pass every game?

Let's be fair here. Brady threw over 400 passes and had 28tds 2int and the 2nd best completion % of his career.....maybe, just maybe, that story line was over blown and he's a really really really good qb? 

They also have the most talented scouting and personnel department in the league. They're also at the forefront of player development. Finally, they're an organization who likes to buck the trend. For example, teams value height, but NE favors shorter agile players. Teams favor opening games by running the ball, but NE throws it with regularity. Teams are too paranoid to go for it on 4th down, but NE realizes what the math is on 4th down and goes for it. Teams favor heavy WR sets, but NE favors TE sets. Teams love 1st round picks and trading up, but NE hates them and trades down.

11 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

They game plan very well.  Work on execution... and they actually do cheat.  

They fill in the gaps and missing holes on their team with a little cheating. 50% is execution, 25% is talent and 25% is rule breaking/bending.

14 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

For one they wouldn't CELEBRATE like they just won a SB TWO seasons in a row by winning late in the game at home against a 3 win team (Titans last year, Jags this year) to finish the season at 8-8 after ENTERING the game BELOW .500 :facepalm:

Bill Belichick would be thrilled to go 8-8 since he would tell the media, "We beat the Jets this final week with an epic game winning drive by Tom Brady who never quits. We didn't finish with a losing record, 8-8 is not a losing record. Now we are heading into our offseason and hope that next year we can win the brutally competitive AFC East with such rising talents like the Miami Dolphins. Beating the Jets though to not finish with a losing record just further proves the New England Patriots organization has what it needs to compete with strong heart and grit to avoid finishing with a losing record. Earlier Bob Kraft texted to tell me that jobs were in danger until he saw the win over the Jets and he realized the sort of guys we have here."

18 minutes ago, Jules said:

Bill Belichick would be thrilled to go 8-8 since he would tell the media, "We beat the Jets this final week with an epic game winning drive by Tom Brady who never quits. We didn't finish with a losing record, 8-8 is not a losing record. Now we are heading into our offseason and hope that next year we can win the brutally competitive AFC East with such rising talents like the Miami Dolphins. Beating the Jets though to not finish with a losing record just further proves the New England Patriots organization has what it needs to compete with strong heart and grit to avoid finishing with a losing record. Earlier Bob Kraft texted to tell me that jobs were in danger until he saw the win over the Jets and he realized the sort of guys we have here."

This really cracked me up. Imagining Belichick saying this really highlights how ridiculous this is. Lol

24 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

This really cracked me up. Imagining Belichick saying this really highlights how ridiculous this is. Lol

I think if you put Colts lingo and logic into pretending the Pats say it then you realize the different worlds we are stuck in.

2 hours ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

Because no one  is safe , you either produce or he will get rid of you, Look at the top players he has let go for draft pics , we need a hard nose coach who makes people accountable , I hate the Pats but will tell ya no player feels safe on that team , maybe we need some of that here .

Been saying this for a while now. But looks like he is our coach next year, so we got to do our best to support him or we will be unhappy colts fans. No need to sit in dwell over this long, never-ending offseason.

They're masterfully disciplined, organized, masterfully coached and have a masterful QB.  They will make you absolutely pay for your mistakes and teams don't seem to capitalize when the Pats rarely do make them.  One thing the Patriots do well is game plan well, they often take away opposing teams abilities & best players.  Even things bounce their way in close games.  The whole Patriots philosophy is built on winning every single game,  BB doesn't accept nor take losing.  

Colts probably could've beat them in 2015, stat wise it was very close also.  I'm not sure if the years dumbest play with regards to that special teams muff led to any points or not but I'm sure it didn't help the field advantage portion of the game even if the Patriots didn't capitalize on it.

6 hours ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

Because no one  is safe , you either produce or he will get rid of you, Look at the top players he has let go for draft pics , we need a hard nose coach who makes people accountable , I hate the Pats but will tell ya no player feels safe on that team , maybe we need some of that here .

If you listen to Rick Venturi much, you will occasionally hear him talk about while working for BB, he always had a gnawing feeling in his stomach knowing that he was being held accountable every single day.

So, you make a good point.

Re: NE: First, there is a culture of high expectations, then there is accountability throughout the team. Finally, NE (at least probably Belichick) sees important things in the game that others just can't (don't) see. This last point is the most important, and seems missing in the Colts.

5 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Re: NE: First, there is a culture of high expectations, then there is accountability throughout the team. Finally, NE (at least probably Belichick) sees important things in the game that others just can't (don't) see. This last point is the most important, and seems missing in the Colts.

I like this post. It's the Anti-Colts right now. 

There's supposed to be a culture of high expectations here, but that's getting destroyed.  

There's no accountability on the Colts. Players don't get yelled at when they screw up, or sat on the bench or anything. Pagano is over there clapping after the players just gave up 30 yards on a 3rd and 4. 

To your last point, most of see important things from our couch that Pagano can't even see from the sideline. 

Simple.  They have a WR in Edelman, and before that Welker, who can get open on short routes and a QB who can consistently throw him the ball on the shoulder it needs to be thrown too.

And OCs who recognize that getting a consistent 8 yard gain is a huge threat for a defense.

Let's also be very clear, just like EVERY team in the league, rosters change EVERY year.  The genius of Bill Bellichik is that he knows what he needs, he knows and vets the available players that fit  those needs and he has the absolute trust and faith of Kraft.  The same can be said of his coaching staff. The perfect storm!!!

1. Coach/GM so no clashes in philosophy.

2. No nonsense style. Produce or you're gone.

3. Top 3 all time QB who doesn't turn the ball over and punishes you through the air if you screw up.

4. Strong running game. UFA RBs get 100yd games routinely.

5. Perfect game planning.