Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

why do you think the Pats are in it every year???

bleed blue4life

On 1/3/2017 at 11:20 PM, ar7 said:

There are several reasons why I think the Pats are always good.

1. They adapt and evolve. I don't feel they get stuck on specific systems year after year. They evolve what they do and adapt to what their players who are playing each week do best. 

2. They are not relying on the same talented players. Tom Brady has been the only constant for them. Most teams who have successful runs, granted most runs are not as long as what the Pats have, rely on the same guys. They don't get attached to keeping the same guys.

3. They bring in some talented players without using major resources. I think Corey Dillon was one, Randy Moss, Aqib Talib, and Darrelle Revis are a few others that come to mind. This allows them to have some really talented veterans without using a high draft pick or a lot of their cap space on them.

4. They maintain an edge and a focus. I don't know exactly how Belichick does it but it's my impression.

I think it is the adapt and evolve that I really like from this post, but I would add something to it. They evolve for each game to each team's weaknesses and strengths. No coach is better at gameplans than Belichick. I hate the Patriots but he is the best coach by a mile in my opinion. Even when he has not had talent, he puts them in position to win, and it is due to gameplans and adjustments. He must work tirelessly during the season.

Also the club has continuity running through it. He has one rule for everyone, and if you don't do it, you are gone, no matter how good you are. And if you are good and hit a certain age and he can still get value, he will. Brady's suspension was a godsend in the fact it allowed him to showcase Garropolo, and he will get a 2nd and 3rd probably for him after the season is over. Just watch. He has Briskett, and although I don't know when Brady will finally succumb to age, I think he has another 2-3 yrs. in him. Even if he does not, his gameplans allow QB's to step in and win! Everyone hates the Patriots because of Envy. I love my Colts but I wish Bill would retire.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Hey JJ, 

Nice to see a post from you again. That's the thing with Bill. He throws so many situations at players in practice that by the time the game rolls around it feels easy, or at least much; much simpler. And all his SBs rings as a DC & HC, give his instructions/teachings gospel like acceptance yr after yr where nothing gets questioned or defied as a player on offense, defense, or special teams. 

Very few coaches have Bill's clout, cache, & universal credibility. He's earned that rare air status. 

Hey bud. Yeah I don't post as much as I used to. I'll try and improve on that :)

One other thing BB once said that also struck me.

You play 60 minutes for the right to those 2 or 3 plays that will make the difference, usually late in the 4th qtr. All the other plays leading up to that are expected, some good passes, a sack, a good run, etc.

So by preparing his players for every type of play whether they come up or not he puts them in position to make that critical play late in the game that can turn the tide. The extreme example would be Butler's INT to win the Seattle SB. They had actually practiced that play and while Butler failed it in practice he did make the play in the real game which of course was pivotal.  

All- let's keep on topic and leave the cheating arguments behind so others can enjoy the good conversation. Thanks.

8 hours ago, -JJ- said:

Hey bud. Yeah I don't post as much as I used to. I'll try and improve on that :)

One other thing BB once said that also struck me.

You play 60 minutes for the right to those 2 or 3 plays that will make the difference, usually late in the 4th qtr. All the other plays leading up to that are expected, some good passes, a sack, a good run, etc.

So by preparing his players for every type of play whether they come up or not he puts them in position to make that critical play late in the game that can turn the tide. The extreme example would be Butler's INT to win the Seattle SB. They had actually practiced that play and while Butler failed it in practice he did make the play in the real game which of course was pivotal.  

All- let's keep on topic and leave the cheating arguments behind so others can enjoy the good conversation. Thanks.

Yeah, it was pretty remarkable that the SB was decided by that fatal turnover in the 4th Qtr. No one can accuse Bill of not having his team prepared for a myriad of circumstances on the fly. I realize that all NFL coaches practice the 2 minute drill, punch the ball out drill, wet ball drills, & short yardage defensive stops on 3rd down. So, it's not like Bill is doing anything different then most other NFL coaches. It just seems like they never commit mental lapses at crucial points in a game. They never beat themselves. 

You're right JJ. The alleged "shadiness' that some fans believe NE engaged in in the past doesn't automatically guarantee Championships plural. It all comes down to flawless execution in the playoffs when the lights are brightest &, in most cases, the Patriots win rings because they don't make mistakes or they don't panic or fold under pressure. 

It's cool JJ. I understand when some individuals just feel like reading comments as opposed to responding to them. I get it. Believe me man. I've been there many times myself. 

The culture, whatever that means. I have viewed a couple of his pre-game meetings with the team and he does not pull any punches. My guess is he has his players demanding the best of themselves especially when you consider we never knew who most of his players were be fore they got to NE. It is like they view winning differently than all other teams and losing is not in their vocabulary. Contrary to this is the video of him talking to Brady on the sideline saying "I jut can't get there guys to win on the road". I think they ere losing to the Ravens in that video. Certainly the connection between Brady and Belichick rubs off on to the other players and coaches. Bottom line is I am jealous.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

The culture, whatever that means. I have viewed a couple of his pre-game meetings with the team and he does not pull any punches. My guess is he has his players demanding the best of themselves especially when you consider we never knew who most of his players were be fore they got to NE. It is like they view winning differently than all other teams and losing is not in their vocabulary. Contrary to this is the video of him talking to Brady on the sideline saying "I jut can't get there guys to win on the road". I think they ere losing to the Ravens in that video. Certainly the connection between Brady and Belichick rubs off on to the other players and coaches. Bottom line is I am jealous.

Wow- that's some kind of memory you have. I do remember him saying something "I can't get this <blank> to win.

oh,please. They are in it every year because the nfl makes it so. You cant win that often unless they want it to happen. Kraft obviously has his hand in major business dealings and this is his reward. Just like when Turner bought the Braves.

think about it for a minute at least. Is it really that hard to defend against constant short passes? thats genius game planning? Bill has all these coaches work for him and then they go to other jobs knowing his system but all of them cant beat him? Its just completely stupid. Its a copy cat league but he's a step ahead for 15 years with less talent? its just stupid.No human is that intellectually superior to others in something as stupid as football coaching. Why isnt he working for nasa if he's so damn smart?

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:26 AM, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

Let's also be very clear, just like EVERY team in the league, rosters change EVERY year.  The genius of Bill Bellichik is that he knows what he needs, he knows and vets the available players that fit  those needs and he has the absolute trust and faith of Kraft.  The same can be said of his coaching staff. The perfect storm!!!

That & They Are Cheaters....

We had a guy who helped us win 12 games 7 years in a row, Peyton that is, and they have their own in Tom Brady. Combine him with the best coach of our generation in Belichick, it is not difficult to see why they are in the mix every year. It is not just Belichick but the combination of the two that makes them tick. You remove one of them, they may do fine for a brief stretch but over a long stretch of a few seasons, just 1 of them by themselves would be able to do only so much without the other, IMO.

Watch a bit of their coaching preparation praised by Steve Smith Sr.

34 minutes ago, themacs@feathersnfins.net said:

They Are Cheaters.... Been Cought A Bunch.

Thank your team for motivating them with that silly "deflategate" conspiracy theory. The Pats play even better when they're motivated and out for blood. 

Maybe cause they're the Patriots and they're just that good every year? They're good on a consistent basis in a way that the 49ers used to be back in the 80's and 90's. The Pats are just what we used to deal with from the 49ers a long time ago, but maybe even better by the time it's all over.