Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning/Gruden

dudley dawson

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, tikyle said:

Why Gruden?  I don't mind giving Manning a shot at GM but why would you want Gruden as HC?  He hasn't won a playoff game since the SB in what 2002 (with Dungy's guys).  I'd rather try a new guy.  Any new guy over a (super) old retread like Gruden.  This retread culture in pro sports coaching needs to stop.  In what other profession do people continually hire people who were fired doing that same exact job recently?  Not contract not renewed but flat out fired.  Yet gets a new job the next year.  Only in pro sports.

Gruden is proof of the fact that player talent hides a lot of deficiencies of the coach (pagano). 

15 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

At the end of the day, Gruden won the Super Bowl with the Bucs and Dungy didn't.  Dungy wasn't able to beat Philly, but Gruden beat them en route to a championship.

True.  And Callahan was able to take the Raiders to the Superbowl and Gruden didn't.  All of that means very little, because when you look at his entire career, Gruden was a 54% winning coach (barely over 50% with the Bucs).  Like I said, he's a good coach and if he has all the pieces in place the teams win will some games.  But if he's lacking in an area or areas his teams will struggle.  The Colts already have a coach like that in Pagano.  If the Colts are going to make a coaching change, I want them to get a great coach not replace an average coach with another average coach.

I never paid attention to gruden other than his scouting reports and evaluation of players...was he a more offensive or defensive kind of coach? Becuase  if he can simply make this offense stop playing 1 qtr or a half a game I'm all for it..and just build the defense that's better than what pagano does 

22 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

True.  And Callahan was able to take the Raiders to the Superbowl and Gruden didn't.  All of that means very little, because when you look at his entire career, Gruden was a 54% winning coach (barely over 50% with the Bucs).  Like I said, he's a good coach and if he has all the pieces in place the teams win will some games.  But if he's lacking in an area or areas his teams will struggle.  The Colts already have a coach like that in Pagano.  If the Colts are going to make a coaching change, I want them to get a great coach not replace an average coach with another average coach.

From what I read about his time in Tampa, the collapse of that team wasn't all his fault.  The GMs didn't do much to help him out with the roster.  I think he can stabilize the offense.  My question would be who he picks as a defensive coordinator.  If we do fire Pagano and hire Gruden, I'd fully expect him to just focus on the offense and let the defensive coordinator control all things on that side of the ball

14 minutes ago, will426 said:

I never paid attention to gruden other than his scouting reports and evaluation of players...was he a more offensive or defensive kind of coach? Becuase  if he can simply make this offense stop playing 1 qtr or a half a game I'm all for it..and just build the defense that's better than what pagano does 

He's an offensive coach.  If you're curious for some footage, watch his QB Camps on YouTube.  There's even an episode with Luck.

I'm actually concerned with a possible reunion of the Jags and coach Coughlin. Even at his age, I think he could make them yearly contenders. Maybe kick the tires on him, and potentially get over the cycle we're in right now. Would rather he have the coaching reigns here, than Pagano or many other names dropped here in the forum. 

26 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

PREACH!  Fire a two quarter coach (61.3% W/L in Pagano) to hire a fifty cent piece coach (54% W/L in Gruden).  I want a silver dollar coach!!

3 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

I'm actually concerned with a possible reunion of the Jags and coach Coughlin. Even at his age, I think he could make them yearly contenders. Maybe kick the tires on him, and potentially get over the cycle we're in right now. Would rather he have the coaching reigns here, than Pagano or many other names dropped here in the forum. 

Unless Blake Bortles has the perpetual horse show up his keester as Eli had then I wouldn't worry about Coughlin too much.  His teams (or at least his QB) seemed to under achieve a lot.  And then out of the blue they would over achieve.  When more than half the years he was in NY he didn't make the playoffs is the standard, I wouldn't be worried with him much.  The real guy to worry about is currently in Houston.  Dude is winning w/o his best player AND w/o a QB.  That's Belichick territory honestly.  He may be the Belichick tree guy who actually lives up to the hype.

6 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Dude is winning w/o his best player AND w/o a QB.  That's Belichick territory honestly.  He may be the Belichick tree guy who actually lives up to the hype.

He definitely has that team playing better. Outside of injuries of their own, I think Houston is good enough to play with the league "heavies". 

1 minute ago, GoColtsWin said:

He definitely has that team playing better. Outside of injuries of their own, I think Houston is good enough to play with the league "heavies". 

They got thumped 27-0 in New England vs Jacoby Brissett. While good enough to win the South, I wouldn't say they're ready for much more than that.

2 hours ago, tikyle said:

Why Gruden?  I don't mind giving Manning a shot at GM but why would you want Gruden as HC?  He hasn't won a playoff game since the SB in what 2002 (with Dungy's guys).  I'd rather try a new guy.  Any new guy over a (super) old retread like Gruden.  This retread culture in pro sports coaching needs to stop.  In what other profession do people continually hire people who were fired doing that same exact job recently?  Not contract not renewed but flat out fired.  Yet gets a new job the next year.  Only in pro sports.

Yeah I don't get the Gruden love either.  He never impressed me much as a coach.  He knows offense but very little about defense.  He eroded the great Tampa Bay defense over the course of his tenure there.  Keep that smiling joker as far away from the Colts as possible. 

As far as Peyton as GM.  I am onboard only if we surround him with lots of people in the know to help him get acclimated to things.  I'd personally prefer to create a positon for him and hire a real GM that he can work closely with as he learns the finer nuances of things.

I don't expect the Colts to bring in any of these guys though.  I think Irsay stands pat and the Colts continue to regress.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They got thumped 27-0 in New England vs Jacoby Brissett. While good enough to win the South, I wouldn't say they're ready for much more than that.

I remember the 06' Colts get handled by a Jags team that had no chance of the playoffs. Just to turn it on for their championship run. Falls into the "Any Given Sunday" bracket for me personally. 

33 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah I don't get the Gruden love either.  He never impressed me much as a coach.  He knows offense but very little about defense.  He eroded the great Tampa Bay defense over the course of his tenure there.  Keep that smiling joker as far away from the Colts as possible. 

As far as Peyton as GM.  I am onboard only if we surround him with lots of people in the know to help him get acclimated to things.  I'd personally prefer to create a positon for him and hire a real GM that he can work closely with as he learns the finer nuances of things.

I don't expect the Colts to bring in any of these guys though.  I think Irsay stands pat and the Colts continue to regress.

The defense eroded because the players got old and they had to be replaced.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

From what I read about his time in Tampa, the collapse of that team wasn't all his fault.  The GMs didn't do much to help him out with the roster.  I think he can stabilize the offense.  My question would be who he picks as a defensive coordinator.  If we do fire Pagano and hire Gruden, I'd fully expect him to just focus on the offense and let the defensive coordinator control all things on that side of the ball

He's an offensive coach.  If you're curious for some footage, watch his QB Camps on YouTube.  There's even an episode with Luck.

Is that the one with hm discussing spider 2 y banana haha we could use some of that in this offense for sure 

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Because Dungy couldn't build up the offense well enough.  Why do you think it was a condition of him coming to Indy was that the offense was to remain as it was, same OC, same oline coach.

My word you're a smarter football fan than that.

Polian may have wanted Tom Moore and the offense to stay in place when Dungy was hired but it's also important to note that Dungy and Moore had a relationship already. Dungy played QB in college and Moore was his OC for a year or two. After Dungy was done playing in the NFL he joined the Stealers coaching staff and worked with Tom Moore on that staff. I think a lot of people just think of Dungy as a defensive coach but he also knew offense too. Just wanted to note that as it often goes unnoticed.

4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Pretty much everyone should want to keep who we have rather than hand the keys over to a guy with zero experience and another who's been out of the league as a coach for 8 years.  I get people want change - but let's not get silly with it.

I'll take silly

On 1/3/2017 at 4:16 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

You just described like every coach in the NFL. Not sure what you meant by this statement...

23 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You just described like every coach in the NFL. Not sure what you meant by this statement...

No, there are a quite a few coaches that can take teams that are lacking in certain areas and cover up the weaknesses, adjust game plans, etc.  Pagano tries but he's not good at it.  From what I remember, Gruden was more of a square peg in a round hole type coach.

13 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No, there are a quite a few coaches that can take teams that are lacking in certain areas and cover up the weaknesses, adjust game plans, etc.  Pagano tries but he's not good at it.  From what I remember, Gruden was more of a square peg in a round hole type coach.

Cover up weaknesses? Like having a below average QB and offense? Because Gruden did that 

23 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Cover up weaknesses? Like having a below average QB and offense? Because Gruden did that 

Actually Dungy did that.  He got a team with a below average QB and offense to the playoffs in Tampa, Gruden added 7 FAs (6 on the offensive side) and got them to the SB, but then the more he put his stamp on the team the worse they got.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Actually Dungy did that.  He got a team with a below average QB and offense to the playoffs in Tampa, Gruden added 7 FAs (6 on the offensive side) and got them to the SB, but then the more he put his stamp on the team the worse they got.

You say it as if he he had GM power but he didn't. You want to guess what happened when they fired the GM that was there when Gruden got there?

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

You say it as if he he had GM power but he didn't. You want to guess what happened when they fired the GM that was there when Gruden got there?

No doubt that had a some to do with it (McKay was/is a good GM and VP... they didn't fire him though he wanted to leave and they did not renew his contract)

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

No doubt that had a some to do with it (McKay was/is a good GM and VP... they didn't fire him though he wanted to leave and they did not renew his contract)

It's the same difference. Gruden said the GM didn't draft players that fit his scheme. Plus a lot of Dungy's guys had the team cash strapped and were on their way out. Once they got a new GM it wasn't long after until they were in the playoffs again. Mind you, he still never got a franchise QB which is also why Saban struggled in the NFL.

Im surprised no one is ever intrigued as to what would happen if you gave Gruden a legit QB and a competent GM.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Im surprised no one is ever intrigued as to what would happen if you gave Gruden a legit QB and a competent GM.

hes been out of the league too long. 

honestly i dont think the market has a whole lot of appealing candidates right now.  i doubt irasy is going to eat paganos and/or grigsons contract so that we can promote a first time head coach from a coordinator position.  i could be wrong about that, but it seems unlikely  

it must be down to Saban or Mcdaniels or else we would know something by now

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, tikyle said:

Yeah I don't get it either. If I was going to go all in to bring back a coach out of retirement then why not go after Bill Cower....or even bring back a Dungy. I'm fine if Peyton comes in and gives it a shot but he would likely want his own guys he trusts and I'm not sure who that would be with Gase in Miami looking like he has things under control....maybe Jim Bob? The Gruden thing baffles me.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I don't get it either. If I was going to go all in to bring back a coach out of retirement then why not go after Bill Cower....or even bring back a Dungy. I'm fine if Peyton comes in and gives it a shot but he would likely want his own guys he trusts and I'm not sure who that would be with Gase in Miami looking like he has things under control....maybe Jim Bob? The Gruden thing baffles me.

What the hell did Cowher do?   9 yrs between championships or something?  And his second one should have been ours had it not been for that stupid fumble return gone bad

12 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

What the hell did Cowher do?   9 yrs between championships or something?  And his second one should have been ours had it not been for that stupid fumble return gone bad

Cowher began his coaching career in 1985 at age 28 under Marty Schottenheimer with the Cleveland Browns. He was the Browns' special teams coach in 1985–86 and secondary coach in 1987–88 before following Schottenheimer to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1989 as defensive coordinator.

He became the 15th head coach in Steelers history when he succeeded Chuck Noll on January 21, 1992 – but only the second head coach since the NFL merger in 1970. Under Cowher, the Steelers showed an immediate improvement from the disappointing 7–9 season the year before, going 11–5 and earning home field advantage in the AFC after the Steelers had missed the playoffs six times out of the previous seven years. In 1995, at age 38, he became the youngest coach to lead his team to a Super Bowl. Cowher is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, joining Pro Football Hall of Fame member Paul Brown.

In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned 10 postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. At the conclusion of the 2005 season, the Steelers had the best record of any team in the NFL since Cowher was hired as head coach.

On February 5, 2006, Cowher's Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl XL by defeating the Seattle Seahawks 21–10, giving Cowher his first Super Bowl ring. Through the Super Bowl, Cowher's team had compiled a record of 108–1–1 in games in which they built a lead of at least 11 points.[2]

During the following season, there was talk about Cowher leaving the Steelers, ostensibly to spend more time with his family. On January 5, 2007, Cowher stepped down after 15 years at the helm of the franchise. The Steelers hired former Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin as Cowher's successor.

Cowher's record as a head coach is 149–90–1 (161–99–1 including playoff games). quoted from wiki...I think his resume speaks for itself. During his tenure he was one of the best coaches in the NFL. Certainly more accomplished than anyone not named Bill Bellicheck. I know it would never happen but man...if people are shooting for the moon and making up all these coaching changes why not go out and get a quality coach. I mean you never hear anyone suggest to go get a Jimmy Johnson or a Bill Cower or bring back a Tony Dungy and they are much better options than say Gruden. I just figured I'd throw out some retreads no one else is talking about. Honestly if I could have a coach of any I'd take John Harbaugh..I think he is a quality coach and the better Harbaugh of the two. Anyways I don't know what anyone could possibly say negative about Cower...he is a passionate coach that always motivated his players and seemed to get the most out of his talent.

Oh and no the second one should have been Seattles....they got ripped off in that game big time by the officials....that said he earned that win against us. They whipped our OL ALL GAME LONG. We blew them out in the regular season and they came back with a MUCH better defensive game plan. We shouldn't have even been that close...remember that Peyton INT he threw to Palamalou that got over turned...horrible call. We were the best team by far I felt that year...but Pittsburg beat the pants off us and earned that win.

45 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Cowher began his coaching career in 1985 at age 28 under Marty Schottenheimer with the Cleveland Browns. He was the Browns' special teams coach in 1985–86 and secondary coach in 1987–88 before following Schottenheimer to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1989 as defensive coordinator.

He became the 15th head coach in Steelers history when he succeeded Chuck Noll on January 21, 1992 – but only the second head coach since the NFL merger in 1970. Under Cowher, the Steelers showed an immediate improvement from the disappointing 7–9 season the year before, going 11–5 and earning home field advantage in the AFC after the Steelers had missed the playoffs six times out of the previous seven years. In 1995, at age 38, he became the youngest coach to lead his team to a Super Bowl. Cowher is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, joining Pro Football Hall of Fame member Paul Brown.

In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned 10 postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. At the conclusion of the 2005 season, the Steelers had the best record of any team in the NFL since Cowher was hired as head coach.

On February 5, 2006, Cowher's Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl XL by defeating the Seattle Seahawks 21–10, giving Cowher his first Super Bowl ring. Through the Super Bowl, Cowher's team had compiled a record of 108–1–1 in games in which they built a lead of at least 11 points.[2]

During the following season, there was talk about Cowher leaving the Steelers, ostensibly to spend more time with his family. On January 5, 2007, Cowher stepped down after 15 years at the helm of the franchise. The Steelers hired former Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin as Cowher's successor.

Cowher's record as a head coach is 149–90–1 (161–99–1 including playoff games). quoted from wiki...I think his resume speaks for itself. During his tenure he was one of the best coaches in the NFL. Certainly more accomplished than anyone not named Bill Bellicheck. I know it would never happen but man...if people are shooting for the moon and making up all these coaching changes why not go out and get a quality coach. I mean you never hear anyone suggest to go get a Jimmy Johnson or a Bill Cower or bring back a Tony Dungy and they are much better options than say Gruden. I just figured I'd throw out some retreads no one else is talking about. Honestly if I could have a coach of any I'd take John Harbaugh..I think he is a quality coach and the better Harbaugh of the two. Anyways I don't know what anyone could possibly say negative about Cower...he is a passionate coach that always motivated his players and seemed to get the most out of his talent.

Oh and no the second one should have been Seattles....they got ripped off in that game big time by the officials....that said he earned that win against us. They whipped our OL ALL GAME LONG. We blew them out in the regular season and they came back with a MUCH better defensive game plan. We shouldn't have even been that close...remember that Peyton INT he threw to Palamalou that got over turned...horrible call. We were the best team by far I felt that year...but Pittsburg beat the pants off us and earned that win.

I would rather have the guy who was coaching the Seahawks 

Can't have someone, when upset with a player or play or ref, looks like Chucky.  Nope, oh and there are a few other cons:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/apr/26/jon-gruden-nfl-draft-johnny-manziel-tim-tebow-espn

ALSO, No one will question his work ethic (Gruden).... like Robert Mathis said about Grigson, when pressed as to what his opinion is about him, paraphrase, "Well he's always in the office, he works a lot, lots of hours, then rinse and repeat."  HMMMMM, that should tell you all you need to know about what he truly thinks about what went on over the last couple years....yea, i'm reading a lot out of that, but c'mon.....we've all heard these types of question dodging tactics before.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Again 2 SB in how many years?   They beat us because we had an off game 

We were way better and the best team in the NFL that yr.

so I am completely correct when I said it should have been the Colts 

Cowher Was not that good 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, buccolts said:

Both of their contracts were extended last off season.

I'm certain that, if justified, Jim wouldn't hesitate to can either, or both.

HOWEVER, since the extentions:

- Has Grigson done a worse job?

- Has Pagano done a worse job?

I can't see where Grigson has done a worse job than prior to the extension.

I could make a case where Pagano has done a worse job, or at least the same job. However, they also brought in a number of new coaches, and it takes time to make those adjustments. The OL got better. Luck had a good season, but I saw no improvement on the defense. Play calling is suspect.

My guess is Grigson stays.

Pagano may keep his job, but there may be a little bit of shuffling of the coaching staff (new OC, WR coach, etc?).

That's my logic, but it could be all blown out of the water if there's stuff going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of.

Pagano hasn't done a good job coaching this team but Grigson is way worst.

On 1/3/2017 at 5:00 PM, GoColtsWin said:

The Texans have consistently rated as one of the worst playoff teams in recent history. They should be handled by most good teams.