Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning/Gruden

dudley dawson

On 1/3/2017 at 4:44 PM, GoColtsWin said:

I'm actually concerned with a possible reunion of the Jags and coach Coughlin. Even at his age, I think he could make them yearly contenders. Maybe kick the tires on him, and potentially get over the cycle we're in right now. Would rather he have the coaching reigns here, than Pagano or many other names dropped here in the forum. 

Our fan base is struggling with patience with Pagano. I would be surprised if we could embrace Coughlin.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure Manning would be a good GM.  Its tuff to win with an empty locker room and no one would meet his expectations .

i can see him at the draft telling the next team to "go ahead and pick, none of these kids will work hard enough to warrant the pick."

10 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

The Texans have consistently rated as one of the worst playoff teams in recent history. They should be handled by most good teams. 

I get that the Texans have struggled in the playoffs recently, but 1. They have been making the playoffs, at our exspence now mind you. 2. Texans are a good QB from being a regular team in the playoffs. 3. Watt + Clowny(Healthy) are very hard to contain. I remember all of the struggles Manning and Co. had w/embarrassing 1st round beat downs when we were coming up as a threat also. Not a Texan fan at all, but I recognize the threat they pose to the Colts as division foes, and they as a team have allot of good talent on their roster. 

1 minute ago, GoColtsWin said:

I get that the Texans have struggled in the playoffs recently, but 1. They have been making the playoffs, at our exspence now mind you. 2. Texans are a good QB from being a regular team in the playoffs. 3. Watt + Clowny(Healthy) are very hard to contain. I remember all of the struggles Manning and Co. had w/embarrassing 1st round beat downs when we were coming up as a threat also. Not a Texan fan at all, but I recognize the threat they pose to the Colts as division foes, and they as a team have allot of good talent on their roster. 

Maybe you misunderstood me, I was saying that they were a terrible team this year going in to the playoffs. Obviously they have performed very poorly but still.

I don't necessarily buy that the Texans are one good QB away from being a very good team. Their two key defensive players (Watt and Clowney) both have pretty serious injury histories now. No one has any idea how well Watt will perform, back injuries are pretty scary for d-linemen (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j-j-watt-reveals-the-scariest-injury-of-his-career-has-contemplated-retirement/).

Other than that they are a team with a very good defensive line that plays well against the pass but drops off against the run. Their skill position players are okay, Hopkins is great but not a lot else to speak of. 

I see your point about Manning's early years but I just don't see the Texans as a team on the rise as much as a team that has pieces missing and two players that could have shortened careers (unfortunately). I still have more confidence in our future, as long as we don't have a bad offseason.

10 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

Our fan base is struggling with patience with Pagano. I would be surprised if we could embrace Coughlin.

Coughlin has 2 Super Bowl wins in the recent past, how could you even compare the 2? And when he coached the Jags back in the Brunell days, they were making the playoffs, with a very good team. Coughlin may be getting old, but he could out coach Pagono any day. And our fans made it through the mid 80's and early nineties as a fan base, so we could most definately handle Coughlin. JMO of course :)

1 minute ago, GoColtsWin said:

Coughlin has 2 Super Bowl wins in the recent past, how could you even compare the 2? And when he coached the Jags back in the Brunell days, they were making the playoffs, with a very good team. Coughlin may be getting old, but he could out coach Pagono any day. And our fans made it through the mid 80's and early nineties as a fan base, so we could most definately handle Coughlin. JMO of course :)

I respect Coughlin a lot, don't get me wrong and in terms of struggling in the past I get it. I just meant in terms of Coughlin's Giants teams being very inconsistent and turning in poor regular seasons/missing the playoffs with regularity. He had two very good (yet very surprising) Super Bowl runs but still was let go due to how average the team seemed to perform. I think he is a very good coach, it just seems like the perception is that Pagano's record has made people frustrated with "mediocre results" from him. Not so much comparing them as coaches as comparing their records/how people have perceived their teams. Take away two Super Bowls and Coughlin is a 170-150 coach with 4 playoff wins in 20 years, just not sure if people have tolerance for coaches like this anymore. Would be worth it just to have the anti-Belichick in our team though.

As of now, both are gonna be back. No sense in continuing to speculate about it. Until Irsay opens his mouth and says a change is coming, we look like spoil brats that didn't get what we want for Christmas. Be patient and wait for the decision. 

4 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

I respect Coughlin a lot, don't get me wrong and in terms of struggling in the past I get it. I just meant in terms of Coughlin's Giants teams being very inconsistent and turning in poor regular seasons/missing the playoffs with regularity. He had two very good (yet very surprising) Super Bowl runs but still was let go due to how average the team seemed to perform. I think he is a very good coach, it just seems like the perception is that Pagano's record has made people frustrated with "mediocre results" from him. Not so much comparing them as coaches as comparing their records/how people have perceived their teams. Take away two Super Bowls and Coughlin is a 170-150 coach with 4 playoff wins in 20 years, just not sure if people have tolerance for coaches like this anymore. Would be worth it just to have the anti-Belichick in our team though.

Gotcha. Great points that can't be ignored for sure. But what stands out the most to me about Coughlin, is he seems to turn it on when it matters most. 

Just now, GoColtsWin said:

Gotcha. Great points that can't be ignored for sure. But what stands out the most to me about Coughlin, is he seems to turn it on when it matters most. 

For sure, maybe his style would be great for us. Hard to predict how that would play out.

12 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Again 2 SB in how many years?   They beat us because we had an off game 

We were way better and the best team in the NFL that yr.

so I am completely correct when I said it should have been the Colts 

Cowher Was not that good 

I'm not going to argue with you. Clearly you have made up your mind but the winningst coach in the NFL during his tenure....I don't know what more he could do...other than win some more SBs...which are very difficult to do obviously during a time when the NFC dominated with the Cowboys and 49ers. and the Bills in the AFC were juggernauts and the Broncos were dang good with Elway. It isn't like he had a great qb...he was rolling with Mike Tomzack, Neil O'donnel, Cordell Stewart and some other pretty meh qbs. Even Ben was like a rookie or equivilant of a rookie when he won it so I think Cowher did a pretty good job running his teams. I think he was a good coach for my money. But I'm not sure your going to find many with a better resume (alive at least). To each there own.