Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Fisher

dudley dawson

6 minutes ago, IinD said:

I doubt Fisher is on Irsay's list if he had one, but man has this guy lucked out being a HC this long without doing much but being a .500 type coach.

This got him many extra years he might not otherwise been given...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000455007/Super-Bowl-XXXIV-Dyson-tackled-at-the-one-yard-line

36 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Does anyone besides me fear Irsay doing something dumb and hiring Fisher as the next coach?  I wouldn't put it past him...

Gut feeling tells me Gruden will be coach/GM.  And I love that potential outcome.

we're not making a coaching or GM change. Dont worry.

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

This got him many extra years he might not otherwise been given...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000455007/Super-Bowl-XXXIV-Dyson-tackled-at-the-one-yard-line

Can't disagree there. He really has been so overrated in the NFL community for years it seems.

Any other coach with his career coaching record would have been relegated to some type of career coordinator or position coach years ago.

15 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

we're not making a coaching or GM change. Dont worry.

I agree.

I think something extraordinary would need to take place for them to be let go this year.

I think next season will the make or break year for either/both of them.

42 minutes ago, IinD said:

Can't disagree there. He really has been so overrated in the NFL community for years it seems.

Any other coach with his career coaching record would have been relegated to some type of career coordinator or position coach years ago.

Jeff Fisher is literally like pagano. You take a team to the AFCCG and all of a sudden you're a competent competitor. 

49 minutes ago, IinD said:

Do not forget he was a top member of the NFL  competition committee for many years, too.

1 hour ago, dudley dawson said:

Does anyone besides me fear Irsay doing something dumb and hiring Fisher as the next coach?  I wouldn't put it past him...

Gut feeling tells me Gruden will be coach/GM.  And I love that potential outcome.

I don't know why guys love gruden he is washed up bin out the game for 10 years, irsay would be crazy to hire a guy who is a proven loser. And I truly like the staff we just need more play makers 

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

I don't know why guys love gruden he is washed up bin out the game for 10 years, irsay would be crazy to hire a guy who is a proven loser. And I truly like the staff we just need more play makers 

1) Gruden is 53.  That's hardly washed up for a coach, especially when you consider that coaches don't have the same age limit as players do.  Pete Carroll, Bruce Arians, Bill Belichick are all over 60. 

2) Gruden continues to watch plenty of game film.  He hasn't been coaching for the last 10 years, but that doesn't mean he's completely forgotten about football. 

3) Proven loser?  He has a Super Bowl ring and a career winning percentage of .540 in the regular season and .556 in the playoffs.  Those aren't Bill Belichick type numbers, but to suggest he's a proven loser is simply inaccurate

33 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

1) Gruden is 53.  That's hardly washed up for a coach, especially when you consider that coaches don't have the same age limit as players do.  Pete Carroll, Bruce Arians, Bill Belichick are all over 60. 

2) Gruden continues to watch plenty of game film.  He hasn't been coaching for the last 10 years, but that doesn't mean he's completely forgotten about football. 

3) Proven loser?  He has a Super Bowl ring and a career winning percentage of .540 in the regular season and .556 in the playoffs.  Those aren't Bill Belichick type numbers, but to suggest he's a proven loser is simply inaccurate

You made a valid point on number 2 but number 1 went you bin away that long I don't think you can step in like you was never gone . And number 3 I was talking about Jeff Fisher not gruden. So I agree with 2 but would like your feedback on my other responses 

59 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

You made a valid point on number 2 but number 1 went you bin away that long I don't think you can step in like you was never gone . And number 3 I was talking about Jeff Fisher not gruden. So I agree with 2 but would like your feedback on my other responses 

I thought you were talking about Gruden when you said he's a perennial loser.  I agree with you on Fisher.  He's mediocre at best.

I don't think it would be a situation like he was never gone, but that's why you have OTAs and training camp.  Get used to the grind, get used to the meetings, get used to game planning, etc.  There's a lot that goes into coaching.  But this isn't the case where he stepped away from the game and had nothing to do with football.  He continues to get up at insanely early hours (I think 4 AM?) so he can get to work and watch film.  He's kept up with strategies and trends in football, so he's kept up with the Xs and Os of the game.  There is a lot that goes into it, but he's done it before, so he knows how to go about it.

5 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

No.

I'd put the chances of Irsay hiring Fisher as the next coach right around ZERO.      Lower if possible.    

Gruen just turned down the Rams job.     He's paid NFL head coaching money to do Monday Night Football.    Odds are he's not coming back to football.     At least,  not in the near future.

And given that the Colts are the 2nd winningest team in the last 20 years,  your dig on Irsay shows more about you than it does on him.      He's given you a great team for two decades and you have no clue......

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.

I'd put the chances of Irsay hiring Fisher as the next coach right around ZERO.      Lower if possible.    

Gruen just turned down the Rams job.     He's paid NFL head coaching money to do Monday Night Football.    Odds are he's not coming back to football.     At least,  not in the near future.

And given that the Colts are the 2nd winningest team in the last 20 years,  your dig on Irsay shows more about you than it does on him.      He's given you a great team for two decades and you have no clue......

I would agree, no reason for him to go back to coaching UNLESS he gets to coach the team he wants and has control as the GM.  I don't see Tiger Jim giving one guy that much control but then again if he really likes and wants Gruden, who knows?  I think it would have to be the ideal situation for Gruden to walk off his current gig, which is pretty sweet.  But the ONE guy Gruden has said he would even think about coming out of retirement to coach plays in Indy, so there's that.

Gruden loves his current gig.  It's low stress, high exposure, and he's swimming in cash. 

Even if Gruden was interested in making a comeback, I don't understand the appeal of Gruden, at all.  He won a Super Bowl on the back of Tony Dungy's defense.  He did modernize/retool the Tampa Bay offense, to an extent, but the defense was far and away the team's strength.

Dungy (with the help of Monte Kiffin) constructed, or should I say, perfected, the Tampa 2 defense prior to Gruden's arrival.  In 2002, the defense that Dungy and Kiffin left behind led the league in the following categories: 1) total defense; 2) points allowed; and 3) interceptions. 

That had not been done since the '85 Bears.

8 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Jim Irsay would never hire Fisher in a million yrs since the last time Jeff sniffed a Championship ring was 1999, the only thing he could win is middle aged Magnum PI mustache TV contest from the mid 80's, & irritating a HOF running back named Eric Dickerson in Los Angeles is a boneheaded move in the 21st Century. 

I have no idea why the league kisses his caboose so much for his lack of playoff production for yrs either. He always sits on the competition committee & lands lucrative team vacancy interviews which always perplexes & baffles me. What the hades for? His abysmal post season record? When did the NFL become a Red Cross charity case to keep Fisher employed for not winning a SB? 

5 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Irsay is keeping Pagano and Grigson. Get ready for at least one more year of mediocrity. 

I wish you were wrong my friend, but I know you speak the truth. Darn it! 

You are right on the money man & that's what kills me. Not you, but the accuracy of your prediction. Sigh...

58 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Gruden loves his current gig.  It's low stress, high exposure, and he's swimming in cash. 

Even if Gruden was interested in making a comeback, I don't understand the appeal of Gruden, at all.  He won a Super Bowl on the back of Tony Dungy's defense.  He did modernize/retool the Tampa Bay offense, to an extent, but the defense was far and away the team's strength.

Dungy (with the help of Monte Kiffin) constructed, or should I say, perfected, the Tampa 2 defense prior to Gruden's arrival.  In 2002, the defense that Dungy and Kiffin left behind led the league in the following categories: 1) total defense; 2) points allowed; and 3) interceptions. 

Nicely written post z-43. I think Gruden is overrated too. At the time of the head coaching trade from Oakland to Tampa Bay, John also benefited from knowing QB Rich Gannon's exact tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses as in direct, 1st hand knowledge which cheapens his dominant SB victory in 2002 in my estimation. 

Yes, I know. Players still have to execute formations correctly, but when chucky knows Gannon better than he knows himself that gave the Bucs a huge competitive edge & unfair advantage. The fact the the league no longer allows coaching swaps of this arrangement anymore proves that the NFL knew how this result could give fans pause to question the legitimacy of professional football as a level playing field moving forward if a similar transaction was ever allowed to unfold again. 

Gruden does know his football & I do like the guy personally. I just don't think he won his ring totally above board without some controversy attached to it that's all. 

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Do ya'll know what he did with the raiders???? Nobody brings that up 

6 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

To the bolded, Dick Vermeil says hello.

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

I do miss the SB Shuffle, Buddy Ryan's aggressive 46 defense, & Mike Ditka shouting at Jim McMahon on the sidelines. The Fridge made me laugh too. 

I get nostalgic for old school headbands too. Not bandanas; headbands. 

Got an early Christmas present in the post this morning. A new game called 'Coacheroo'. You put 310 names in a hat, take a random dip, then you have to create a post on the Indianapolis Colts' Forum to discuss if we should have that person as our new coach, even although our incumbent is going nowhere....great fun.

For everyone who keep telling that I don't know what I'm talking about when I say gruden is highly over rated, don't just comment I don't know what I'm talking about drop some facts, one Superbowl win back in 2002 doesn't make you great ton of mediocre teams after, bin out the  league for almost a decade. Trust me we bring this guy in and you will be calling for his job. We need to get more talent, run the ball more ,and play def and that is gonna take us to the Superbowl not gruden. 

13 hours ago, buccolts said:

I agree.

I think something extraordinary would need to take place for them to be let go this year.

I think next season will the make or break year for either/both of them.

Ya, If I were Irsay I'd let Grigson have another year of failed FA signings and crappy to mediocre draft before I'd let him go. I mean we can always use another 1st round WR who doesnt pan out.

That was sarcasm of course. I know what you're saying, they both just got new contracts so it would be tough to let em go at this point. I'm ready for a change.

So many people in here no nothing about Gruden. Just repeating the same tired narrative they heard from someone else. You guys need to stop saying he won a Super Bowl with Dungy's team so lightly. If it was that easy then Dungy would/should have done it, but he didn't.

After reviving the Raiders, this guy came in and did exactly what he was asked to do which was win the big one. However before you guys go and hit me with the old "but he ran the Bucs into the ground!!" rhetoric, remember that he walked into a terrible situation. A lot of expiring contracts, overpaid players, and guys at the end of their careers. He also had a GM who he said didn't draft players for his scheme and didn't have a franchise QB. They changed GMs and the Bucs showed marked improvement. Plus it's not like they never made the playoffs again under him. They actually did.

But Dungy's team was long gone by then but instead of focusing on letting him rebuild he became the fall guy for a team that was coming apart before he got there. Too many people in love with the Tampa team of old and wanted someone to blame. Plus like Saban, he never got a franchise QB.

29 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Ya, If I were Irsay I'd let Grigson have another year of failed FA signings and crappy to mediocre draft before I'd let him go. I mean we can always use another 1st round WR who doesnt pan out.

That was sarcasm of course. I know what you're saying, they both just got new contracts so it would be tough to let em go at this point. I'm ready for a change.

I wouldn't be surprised, or upset, either way. Well, depending on who the replacement would be, or course.

I understand the arguments both ways, and none of us know what's really going on on 56th st. Who made what decisions, etc.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

So many people in here no nothing about Gruden. Just repeating the same tired narrative they heard from someone else. You guys need to stop saying he won a Super Bowl with Dungy's team so lightly. If it was that easy then Dungy would/should have done it, but he didn't.

Truth.  Gruden played a significant role in helping the Bucs get to and win the Super Bowl.  Dungy's Bucs had trouble beating Philly.  Gruden's Bucs beat Philly in their Super Bowl season

59 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I wouldn't be surprised, or upset, either way. Well, depending on who the replacement would be, or course.

I understand the arguments both ways, and none of us know what's really going on on 56th st. Who made what decisions, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? Grigson is the GM. He has complete control over the personnel decisions. He MAY get input from Pagano but Grigson is the guy pulling the strings 99% of the time. I can't see Irsay meddling in personnel matters unless its a rare occasion. Pagano certainly doesn't tell Grigson how to set up his draft board. He may throw in his opinion on some guys and probably on some free agents he may have experience with but Grigson's the guy making the decisions.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Truth.  Gruden played a significant role in helping the Bucs get to and win the Super Bowl.  Dungy's Bucs had trouble beating Philly.  Gruden's Bucs beat Philly in their Super Bowl season

I don't think Gruden is going to coach again. I know you guys are talking about the Bucs but Gruden put together a few really good seasons in Oakland before going to Tampa as well. He has experience going deep into the playoffs. Having said that, I still dont think he'll coach again.

16 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Anything is fine with me, if it keeps us from having to listen to his pointless commentary during televised games.

17 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that? Grigson is the GM. He has complete control over the personnel decisions. He MAY get input from Pagano but Grigson is the guy pulling the strings 99% of the time. I can't see Irsay meddling in personnel matters unless its a rare occasion. Pagano certainly doesn't tell Grigson how to set up his draft board. He may throw in his opinion on some guys and probably on some free agents he may have experience with but Grigson's the guy making the decisions.

My thought is that Pagano, and Irsay may have more input into the process than you're describing. I don't think Grigson is ignorant to what either of the others feel. They should all have input on where they're going and how to get there. I even believe the coordinators will have some input, as well. I'd also have to believe that, though Irsay isn't a meddler, Grigson, being a new(ish) GM may have parameters where he'd at least need to run his thoughts by Irsay. 

Now, in my mind that's logical. However, I'd have to believe that all teams are set up a bit differently, and none of us have knowledge of exactly how things flow with the Colts right now. Heck, I'd bet that my above scenario wasn't the case when Polian was here.