Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think Irsay will make changes?

RockThatBlue

I think they both get another year. Pagano and staff will get another year to try and develop the young guys on the offensive line and defense to see what we have. Grigson will get another year to add more talent and will be judged on how the rookies on the team this year look in year 2.

We don't want to look like the Browns or Raiders and just fire everyone every year. Continuity is important. Luck has already had 3 OCs in 5 years.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One change I wish he would make is to replace that garbage field.  Every time we play on it I swear we incur more injuries.  I really fear for our players when we play at home.  It's not if but when the first one occurs.  Today a lot of injuries again. Last week not so much.  I really hope he looks into it in the off season. 

You can't blame the field.  The opponents don't incur that much injury as we do.  Need to look into the condition program the Colts have in place and evaluate it.  There need's to be a changed in the coaching ranks if you''re going to be competitive.  Sorry Bunch, also GM sucks...

There are a few issues here, IMO:

1)  Irsay doesn't seem to care about football that much compared to other things, like Rock and Roll collectibles. He seems detached from the leadership.  I'm not arguing that he becomes Jerry Jones II, though.

2) He brags on paying people too much.   "Biggest contract ever"  or "best paid ____ in the league.  How about paying a guy well but not breaking the bank so that you can pay other good players?

3) The team seems reluctant to change.  Take the Satele vs Shipley issue, for example.

That said, I don't foresee any changes. 

3 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

You can't blame the field.  The opponents don't incur that much injury as we do.  Need to look into the condition program the Colts have in place and evaluate it.  There need's to be a changed in the coaching ranks if you''re going to be competitive.  Sorry Bunch, also GM sucks...

I am not blaming the field for the loss. I think there have been many complaints from visiting teams as well.  It is considered one of the worst fields in the league.  I just think it might be time for an analysis and probably an upgrade.  Can't hurt.  

2 hours ago, IinD said:

I can't see why he gave them multi year extensions if he had any intention of only giving them a year to fix things.

I'm just hoping he doesn't see this as a Tampa (Dungy) situation where we get rid of the coach on the cusp of good things happening. Meaning he thinks they're close they just need another year or two.

Honestly, we have no idea what he's thinking, he could be totally drugged out and doesn't really care anymore. I'm not saying it's the case, simply commenting on his recent problems.

No cause he is brain dead.

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

Irsay must make the changes at GM and HC or the team will continue to slide downhill.

We still have a Head Scout trying to be a GM and a DBs coach trying to be a Head Coach...neither one of them has grown into their positions to a level of good NFL competence. How long does it take?

That's the question!!!

11 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I think at least at coach, only if an obvious upgrade is available  I think he would bring in Jim Harbaugh if he could get him.  But to get someone else's assistant is just a roll of the dice.

Almost every week, I find myself becoming more of a Josh McDaniels fan.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Almost every week, I find myself becoming more of a Josh McDaniels fan.

I would add that you'd have about a 1000% more chance of getting McDaniels than you would Harbaugh right now.  Listen to me people:  Harbaugh is NOT leaving Michigan, not this year or in 2017.

1 minute ago, Coltfreak said:

They need to fire whoever made the decision to let Chud be OC.   Fire Chud tonight, then fire the ^ that hired him tomorrow morning.  Chud's stupid play calling and game plan again cost the colts a game

At this point, it's obvious that Pagano is partial toward the Coryell offense. It's probably the worst offense to run when you struggle to protect.

This is a fundamental failure at multiple levels. That we struggle to protect is both a personnel issue and a coaching issue, and that we continue to run an offense that doesn't work if you can't protect is obviously a coaching issue.

They should have run the Denver 2015 gameplan today. Instead, they ran the Denver 2016 gameplan again. The result is predictable.

Just now, AZColt11 said:

After the 2-year deal they just gave Fisher?  Man, who makes this stuff up!  LOL

Fisher's extension happened before the season. Understandable, he would have been a lame duck, and with the move they felt he was the right guy. 

After the way this season has developed, it would be a major shocker if he stays. Way more shocking than Irsay keeping Pagano last year.

I don't buy the Harbaugh rumor; I think he's staying in Michigan until they win a title, or until his contract runs out, whichever happens first.

Something has to change to keep pace with the improving Titans and Texans. If Irsay truly wants to win in the postseason, he'll make the tough decision and change the leadership of this organization. He should really look into seeing if Peyton would accept some sort of President role with this team the way Elway did with Denver. 

16 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

He should really look into seeing if Peyton would accept some sort of President role with this team the way Elway did with Denver. 

Maybe after Manning spends a decade-plus running teams and businesses and learning about being executive, like Elway did...

We all knew we were VERY weak at LB, we have no real consistent pass rush to speak of. We all knew this.  We have a very young OL that, imo, progressed nicely, but injuries left no roof m for consistency.

Add in the injuries at cb, ol, wr, safety and lb, and this is what you get.  It should really be no surprise.  We are still an offseason a ay from filling the holes.  We all knew this.

unfortunately, we really are what our record says we are.

this organization needs to look at itself from the top down.  From Jim to literally the guys parking cars.  Ee aren't that far off, imo.  The organization just got a little sloppy with attention to details.  Peyton just walking the halls kept everyone on edge.  It may be time to bring back the "eggshells" and have more accountability from top to bottom.

this season is a bummer but we kind of saw this coming.  If we werent in a mediocre division, it would have been over weeks ago really.

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

Understandable. I have major reservations about McDaniels. But I'm convinced the offense would be dramatically better if he were running it.

That's not saying much.  

This offense would be better with Caldwell too.  

I don't want Caldwell as the HC either.

1 hour ago, GwinnettColt said:

There are a few issues here, IMO:

1)  Irsay doesn't seem to care about football that much compared to other things, like Rock and Roll collectibles. He seems detached from the leadership.  I'm not arguing that he becomes Jerry Jones II, though.

2) He brags on paying people too much.   "Biggest contract ever"  or "best paid ____ in the league.  How about paying a guy well but not breaking the bank so that you can pay other good players?

3) The team seems reluctant to change.  Take the Satele vs Shipley issue, for example.

That said, I don't foresee any changes. 

I get where you're coming from, and I'm very critical of Irsay (among others), but I have to disagree with what you're saying.  I think Irsay cares a lot about football.  If anything, one could argue he's too loyal and cares too much about his team and his people.  He was never afraid to break the bank to give a player a big contract.  I think Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney, and Peyton Manning were all the highest paid at their positions at one time.  Irsay cares very deeply about this team.  And I don't think he's one to brag about having the highest paid ___ in the league.  When it comes to guys like Luck or Peyton, it was a no-brainer that those guys would be the highest paid players in league history at the time of their contracts.  Given their position and abilities, there was no room for discussion there.  You can also make a good case that Clark, Sanders, and Freeney were among the top 5 players at their positions (arguably even #1 in their primes), so it makes sense to pay those guys handsomely too.  He isn't one to brag about having lots of money and being able to hand out big contracts.

No not at all. We basically have a completely new coaching staff this year so players learning a new system, you change again another new system be two or three years till we see growth. People will be quick to kick out the next coach staff again. With all the changes this off-season I do want to give the coaches one more year if there is no improvement then it should br on the table.

The owner needs to do something if wants to build a winner in this football team.  Pags/Grigs are just circus acts that run around, doing a lot of rah, rah, rah but ain't going anywhere....Terminate these two incompetent, worthless duo.....Just saw the Giants/Cowboys game and Giants defense answered to the call of what a defense is supposed to be.  They shut down a Cowboy team that have won 11 straight and that's impressive....And the Giants were one of the worst defense last year.. Can't say much about the Colts.

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

We all knew we were VERY weak at LB, we have no real consistent pass rush to speak of. We all knew this.  We have a very young OL that, imo, progressed nicely, but injuries left no roof m for consistency.

Add in the injuries at cb, ol, wr, safety and lb, and this is what you get.  It should really be no surprise.  We are still an offseason a ay from filling the holes.  We all knew this.

unfortunately, we really are what our record says we are.

this organization needs to look at itself from the top down.  From Jim to literally the guys parking cars.  Ee aren't that far off, imo.  The organization just got a little sloppy with attention to details.  Peyton just walking the halls kept everyone on edge.  It may be time to bring back the "eggshells" and have more accountability from top to bottom.

this season is a bummer but we kind of saw this coming.  If we werent in a mediocre division, it would have been over weeks ago really.

As an IU fan this whole, PEYTON kept everything on point crap, sounds a lot like people still pining for Bobby knight......  romanticizing the past...... 

7 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

As an IU fan this whole, PEYTON kept everything on point crap, sounds a lot like people still pining for Bobby knight......  romanticizing the past...... 

No.  it was widely known Peyton voiced his opinion when things weren't "right."  And everyone seemed to jump including the owner.  I just ron't see that presence.  I didn't mean Leyton himself really.  But rather that there was someone seemingly monitoring EVERYTHING and had a BIG effect on holding prople accountable, imo.

our staff is a little too buddy-buddy for my taste.  Thats all.  It just seems like the team is not as prepared or disciplined as past regimes. I think it can be fixed, but HAS to be addressed.

we got sloppy, imo.  From the play on the tield (drops and penalties), to coaching (game management and play calling).  Add to that the holes in the roster and injuries equals a mediocre year.  

Maybe the main reason is the division.  Add one or two wins  for houston and one for jax and we're 8-5 or 9-4 like the past decade in control of a weak division.  Now we aren't guaranteed 5 or 6 divisional wins per year.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

No.  it was widely known Peyton voiced his opinion when things weren't "right."  And everyone seemed to jump including the owner.  I just ron't see that presence.  I didn't mean Leyton himself really.  But rather that there was someone seemingly monitoring EVERYTHING and had a BIG effect on holding prople accountable, imo.

our staff is a little too buddy-buddy for my taste.  Thats all.  It just seems like the team is not as prepared or disciplined as past regimes. I think it can be fixed, but HAS to be addressed.

we got sloppy, imo.  From the play on the tield (drops and penalties), to coaching (game management and play calling).  Add to that the holes in the roster and injuries equals a mediocre year.  

Maybe the main reason is the division.  Add one or two wins  for houston and one for jax and we're 8-5 or 9-4 like the past decade in control of a weak division.  Now we aren't guaranteed 5 or 6 divisional wins per year.

Peyton was part of it, Tony was part of it, and they had a NO Nonsense badass qualified halll of famer in waiting GM, as well as an amazing OC, and hall of fame possible OL coaches...... team had so much structure it wasn't funny, this team........ is a ragtag group of save-my-*-please-last-minute-bargain-bin-crap-picks

Colts lost 3 (maybe 4) games because of coaching, but Houston actually has better talent.  I think Irsay gives them another chance, and Colts probably win next year against what looks like a 3rd place schedule.  Lose next year, and all bets are off!

9 hours ago, MTC said:

No. Irsay has too big of an ego to make a move.

Not ego, but I think he gets too emotionally attached to situations instead of looking at it from a business standpoint. That's the price you have when you have an eccentric GM like Irsay. He cares too much to let them go. I think Irsay lost any type of spine years ago.

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not ego, but I think he gets too emotionally attached to situations instead of looking at it from a business standpoint. That's the price you have when you have an eccentric GM like Irsay. He cares too much to let them go. I think Irsay lost any type of spine years ago.

If that was so Peyton would have never played a snap in Denver and he would not have went public multiple times about having words about losses over the recent years with this current regime. Irsay has made a few bad decisions over the last 4-5 years but none of them have been do to him not having a spine