Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keith Butler Steelers Linebacker Coach New Dc./butler Stays In Pitts (Merge)

Balzer40

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this are really starting to take shape.I am really liking the way this staff is looking, we have been too soft for to long. I only can wish that Peyton could have been we guys like this for the last 5 or 6 years. Maybe by some divine intervention Manning will get a couple of years with this system. Bruce A. is going to a lot better than some people on here think he will. Pittsburghs o-line has been horrible, and they still are in the top in offense, without what a lot would say is a lack of receiving talent. July can't get here soon enough in my opinion.GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Too many people going off their reputations rather than their play this year. Those are some very good LBers you mentioned, their play this year was not worthy of their reputations.

Harrison only played in maybe 9 games this year, and woodley played injured anytime he was only the field, not to mention that Farrior is 35+ years old at middle linebacker.

Sounds like we are building toward a good coaching staff. I do have another addition in Rod Woodsen, Secondary coach of the Raiders. IMO would help bring the secondary around faster

That's a pretty good idea if we can get him away from the Raiders. Hard to lure good coaches away on a lateral move though. But, he's from Fort Wayne and went to Purdue.

Well you all know what they say, "Just like the pied piper, led rats through the street. We danced like marionettes, swaying to the symphony, of destruction."

Theres even a party going on right now in INDY!!!!!............... oh.... wait, thats just a super bowl

I'm excited about the hires so far. Can't wait to see what these guys are able to do with our defense. I think that Freeney, Brayton and probably Eric Foster are the odd guys out. I'm thinking Freeney could get traded to bring in an additional draft pick or 2. IMO, Anderson (if he's re-signed), Moala, and Nevis could play DE in a 3-4 and AJ could be a NT though I think we'd be better off if he were the backup and not the starter. A couple guys to look at in the draft imo would be Dontari Poe (Memphis), Josh Chapman (Alabama) or Kawann Short (Purdue). Another name that might be mentioned is Alameda Ta'amu (Washington) though personally I don't think he plays like a NT. He's a big guy at 340 lbs but in the games I saw I really don't think he played as strong as you'd think given his size. He got pushed around quite a bit even in one on one blocks and a NT is going to get double teamed pretty much all the time. Guess it depends on wether it's a tecnique thing or simply lack of strength. All of the "experts" say he's a natural fit at NT but this is just one more "expert" opinion I disagree with.

Another guy I thing could get trade consideration is Dallas Clark. I love the guy but he had a really off year (and it wasn't all due to poor QB play) and has had some injury issues the past couple years. If Irsay really wants to get younger fast then trading a couple of aging guys like Clark and Freeney for whatever draft picks we can get could really help.

I'm excited about the hires so far. Can't wait to see what these guys are able to do with our defense. I think that Freeney, Brayton and probably Eric Foster are the odd guys out. I'm thinking Freeney could get traded to bring in an additional draft pick or 2. IMO, Anderson (if he's re-signed), Moala, and Nevis could play DE in a 3-4 and AJ could be a NT though I think we'd be better off if he were the backup and not the starter. A couple guys to look at in the draft imo would be Dontari Poe (Memphis), Josh Chapman (Alabama) or Kawann Short (Purdue). Another name that might be mentioned is Alameda Ta'amu (Washington) though personally I don't think he plays like a NT. He's a big guy at 340 lbs but in the games I saw I really don't think he played as strong as you'd think given his size. He got pushed around quite a bit even in one on one blocks and a NT is going to get double teamed pretty much all the time. Guess it depends on wether it's a tecnique thing or simply lack of strength. All of the "experts" say he's a natural fit at NT but this is just one more "expert" opinion I disagree with.

Another guy I thing could get trade consideration is Dallas Clark. I love the guy but he had a really off year (and it wasn't all due to poor QB play) and has had some injury issues the past couple years. If Irsay really wants to get younger fast then trading a couple of aging guys like Clark and Freeney for whatever draft picks we can get could really help.

If we traded Freeney or Clark we could probably get at least an extra 2nd rounder which we could use to move back into the 1st round and get the best NT in Dontari Poe. AJ will not cut if as a starter at NT. Poe is a big guy who is surprisingly athletic for his size.

I agree with most of this, not too sure about the Dfree stuff though. He is simply too explosive of an athlete to just cut loose or trade. Clark on the other hand was not the same player last season and he is set to make 9 large. He would have to take a major reduction on a two year to remain a Colt next season.

So we hired a Ravens DC and he's raiding the Steeler's coaching staff...

Hunh didn't see that one coming...

Im just glad our defensive philosophy has changed, i like all of these hires so far, these guys all come from top defensive organizations and these are the guys that do all the coaching that never really get recognized. :rock: . Very pleased with what Pagano has done thus far.

I agree with most of this, not too sure about the Dfree stuff though. He is simply too explosive of an athlete to just cut loose or trade. Clark on the other hand was not the same player last season and he is set to make 9 large. He would have to take a major reduction on a two year to remain a Colt next season.

As far as Freeney goes it could depend on a couple of things. For one, is he willing to renegotiate his contract to lower the cap hit for 2012? Second, is Irsay even concerned about the cap hit? And third, how would he feel about having to learn a new position at OLB at this point in his career because I really don't see how he could be a DE in a 3-4. Granted, the majority of the time he'd likely still be rushing the passer but he would probably be requried to drop in to coverage some. Is this something he'd be willing to do? Is this something he's capable of doing? Or do Pagano and Butler plan to use both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts? The same questions would go for Mathis too but imo I think it would be an easier transition for Mathis. I'm simply going on gut instinct for that though and have nothing really to base it on so take that for what it's worth. :)

I agree that Freeney is an explosive player, but if they're trying to get an influx of young talent on the team and they're not willing to trade the #1 pick then trading a couple of the aging vets who really aren't going to be a part of the team long-term anyway is about the only other way to get additional draft picks to bring in additional young talent. On the other hand, Irsay and Grigson may be perfectly content with bringing in the players we can with the 7 draft picks we have (plus any potential compensatory picks we might get) and try to fill other holes via FA. So many questions...this is definitely going to be a fun and interesting offseason (as it has been already) :D

As far as Freeney goes it could depend on a couple of things. For one, is he willing to renegotiate his contract to lower the cap hit for 2012? Second, is Irsay even concerned about the cap hit? And third, how would he feel about having to learn a new position at OLB at this point in his career because I really don't see how he could be a DE in a 3-4. Granted, the majority of the time he'd likely still be rushing the passer but he would probably be requried to drop in to coverage some. Is this something he'd be willing to do? Is this something he's capable of doing? Or do Pagano and Butler plan to use both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts? The same questions would go for Mathis too but imo I think it would be an easier transition for Mathis. I'm simply going on gut instinct for that though and have nothing really to base it on so take that for what it's worth. :)

I agree that Freeney is an explosive player, but if they're trying to get an influx of young talent on the team and they're not willing to trade the #1 pick then trading a couple of the aging vets who really aren't going to be a part of the team long-term anyway is about the only other way to get additional draft picks to bring in additional young talent. On the other hand, Irsay and Grigson may be perfectly content with bringing in the players we can with the 7 draft picks we have (plus any potential compensatory picks we might get) and try to fill other holes via FA. So many questions...this is definitely going to be a fun and interesting offseason (as it has been already) :D

It is exciting. I agree that Mathis is probably more the type to convert and stand up, and can drop into shallow coverage. DFree will likely want one more payday and would get a large one from a 4/3 team that is a pass rusher away from taking the final step. I wonder who............

Correct. I believe I saw in Phil B's twitter that he hasn't interviewed yet either.

Not only has he not interviewed yet, his contract with the Steelers doesnt expire until Feb. 15th. I have heard that Steelers are trying to talk him into staying.

I agree with this. In a 3-4 D, I could see Freeney playing a similar role that McGinist did for the Pats during their 3-4 heydey years (faking leg injuries not included).

Rarely in a 3-4 D does the D only rush 3, they typically bring 4 and sometimes 5 across the line. With Freeney's straightline speed and knowledge of offenses, let him pick his spot and run towards the ball carrier or the QB could be exciting. We might even see one of these for real

What about Del Rio? He does have the advantage of being very familiar with the other teams in the division.

Yeah sure, all we need to do now is rewind time a couple of days and get in before he signed for Broncos ;)