Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Divisional chances?

Chucklez

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely now on the fire Pagano wagon asI have steered clear of that for a while, but the result from Sunday night has clinched it for me. If we still somehow won the AFC South, I would still want Pagano gone, he has shown his ineptness as a head coach time and time again.

But.....

If we beat the Titans and the Texans lose to the Bronco's (both achievable), we are only a game behind the Texans. Yes they have the tie-breaker over us at the moment, but we still have to play them at home this season. Anything can happen from there.... I mean, no team from the AFC South is going to make any noise at all in the playoffs, but it would be nice to at least take the Division back this year.

Welp, that touches on a whole other subject about wins in a year when you have no legitimate shot at the Superbowl and picking again in the 20's vs. high draft picks that this team desperately needs to make up for the pitiful 2013 and 2014 drafts.  And THAT debate could go well into next month!

The Titans will not be a cakewalk for us. Mariota has arguably a better run game supporting cast than the Texans. If we can't contain Murray this week, the game is over. 

They are only one game back from the Texans, they will be motivated to take advantage of the situation. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The Titans will not be a cakewalk for us. Mariota has arguably a better run game supporting cast than the Texans. If we can't contain Murray this week, the game is over. 

They are only one game back from the Texans, they will be motivated to take advantage of the situation. 

I never said it was guaranteed, just achievable. 

10 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Welp, that touches on a whole other subject about wins in a year when you have no legitimate shot at the Superbowl and picking again in the 20's vs. high draft picks that this team desperately needs to make up for the pitiful 2013 and 2014 drafts.  And THAT debate could go well into next month!

I am never a proponent of tanking for better draft picks (and neither are teams). No one is going to say "Sure I'll tank the season and in the process almost certainly lose my job".

Sure in terms of quality of draft picks it is better, but in terms of me being a fan and wanting to see my team win, I would never want my team to lose just so they can get better draft picks.

18 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I never said it was guaranteed, just achievable. 

I am never a proponent of tanking for better draft picks (and neither are teams). No one is going to say "Sure I'll tank the season and in the process almost certainly lose my job".

Sure in terms of quality of draft picks it is better, but in terms of me being a fan and wanting to see my team win, I would never want my team to lose just so they can get better draft picks.

Hey that's fine and I respect that.  But one question, how's that strategy of drafting in the 20's workin out for us?  The last time we had a top 10 pick was Luck.  The time before that was Freeney (OK, so he was 11th, but I'm not splitting hairs).  The time before that was Edge.  The time before that was Manning.  You have to go back to 1994 to find a Colts high pick who was a bust (Trev Alberts at #5).  Of course that same year we also had the 1st pick and took Faulk.  Yes, I know there is no guarantee of success with high picks.  But you have to admit, the chances go up significantly.  I think if you have no real shot at anything you may as well get as high in the draft as you can.  Just one good year could turn this whole thing around, provided of course you have the right guys leading it.  And I would take one bad year for a shot at 10 seasons of goodness.

Just my .02 but I'm wrong a lot.

55 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm more about worried about Derrick Henry. I think he may have a monster game against us for some reason. He has similarities to LeGarrette Blount and you all know what he has done against us. 

I just want to take it one game at a time at this point.  I believe Tennessee is a winnable game.  More winnable than Houston.   Let's see if we can get a W.  If we can get the problems solved on this defense.  I thought we were playing with good discipline in the Houston game most of the way until we started screwing up the run fits and the tackling.  If we can get that stuff fixed we have an opportunity to get a win against Tennessee.  That's all I got to say!

8 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

it's surely possible.

There's still 10 games left and Houston has a history of choking the division away and TN is unproven.

So if the Colts can detach their heads from their rears in crunch time, anything is possible.

Definitely. Until we are mathematically written off, I am still gonna hold out hope of winning the division.

I mean, the most infuriating and frustrating thing to me is this could easily be a 4 - 2 team if there were some better coaching. We had no business losing to the Lions with 37s left on the clock and the game on Sunday was just a disaster in the final 5 minutes. Make better coaching decisions and we are easily 4 - 2 and in the driver seat for the division.

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely now on the fire Pagano wagon asI have steered clear of that for a while, but the result from Sunday night has clinched it for me. If we still somehow won the AFC South, I would still want Pagano gone, he has shown his ineptness as a head coach time and time again.

But.....

If we beat the Titans and the Texans lose to the Bronco's (both achievable), we are only a game behind the Texans. Yes they have the tie-breaker over us at the moment, but we still have to play them at home this season. Anything can happen from there.... I mean, no team from the AFC South is going to make any noise at all in the playoffs, but it would be nice to at least take the Division back this year.

Assuming it takes only 9 - 7 as a record to win the division, that means Colts have to go 7 - 3 for the rest of the year.  look at our schedule coming up.... Pittsburgh, Vikings, Packers, Oakland...  where do we get 7 wins?  Where do they get 3 wins let alone 7..... time to start working on players and more for next year.  We really need to win 10 since we are already 0 - 2 in the AFC South......

8 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Assuming it takes only 9 - 7 as a record to win the division, that means Colts have to go 7 - 3 for the rest of the year.  look at our schedule coming up.... Pittsburgh, Vikings, Packers, Oakland...  where do we get 7 wins?  Where do they get 3 wins let alone 7..... time to start working on players and more for next year.  We really need to win 10 since we are already 0 - 2 in the AFC South......

Still got to play those teams again at home, Oakland arent as good as they were hyped up to be. The Packers arent the super power they have previously been. Pittsburgh just got beaten down by the Dolphins, the Vikings is the only one of those id mark down as a definite loss.... Not saying our chances are great against the Steelers, Packers and Raiders, but they are winnable.

3 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Still got to play those teams again at home, Oakland arent as good as they were hyped up to be. The Packers arent the super power they have previously been. Pittsburgh just got beaten down by the Dolphins, the Vikings is the only one of those id mark down as a definite loss.... Not saying our chances are great against the Steelers, Packers and Raiders, but they are winnable.

Agree

53 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Hey that's fine and I respect that.  But one question, how's that strategy of drafting in the 20's workin out for us?  The last time we had a top 10 pick was Luck.  The time before that was Freeney (OK, so he was 11th, but I'm not splitting hairs).  The time before that was Edge.  The time before that was Manning.  You have to go back to 1994 to find a Colts high pick who was a bust (Trev Alberts at #5).  Of course that same year we also had the 1st pick and took Faulk.  Yes, I know there is no guarantee of success with high picks.  But you have to admit, the chances go up significantly.  I think if you have no real shot at anything you may as well get as high in the draft as you can.  Just one good year could turn this whole thing around, provided of course you have the right guys leading it.  And I would take one bad year for a shot at 10 seasons of goodness.

Just my .02 but I'm wrong a lot.

I'm with you.   I'm right at the verge of rooting against the Colts to secure a better draft pick.   

I've never liked the NFL's way of drafting.   Reward the crappy run teams and punish the well run teams.   Ultimately I would like it done where the Superbowl winner has 1 ball in and work your way down to the worst team having 32.   

The Pacers have suffered from the NBA's way as well.   A small market team putting a playoff team on the floor every season.   They don't get the draft position to get a top tier player or 2.   Punished for being well run.  

We never beat the steelers, they have our number! They will score in bunches if Ben is back. We can not beat a team with a running game that also has great QB play as well. Been proven throughout the Pagano years!  Raiders, also good QB play and running game and also very talented wideouts. Packers may be winnable since they seem to be struggling. Titans to me may be best in division right now in my opinion. Solid QB play and can also run, good running game that we seem to stop no one! Wideouts not special but defense is playing solid. Hope I am wrong, but not optimistic about those games mentioned. 

Colts are going 12 - 4 I don't know what you guys are talking about ;). I don't actually think they will go 12 and 4 but looking at their remaining schedule there really isn't one game that I don't think we can win now the Roethlisberger is out. This team has been quite disappointing this year but at least all their games have been close this year a few plays go differently and Colts could be 5 - 1 they just don't have any luck these days like they did in Luck's rookie year when they won all those close games. 

To the people who aren't for tanking, it's just like making the decision to go to college after high school. You can get a job at a gas station or a fast food restaurant and make $10 an hour for the rest of your life, or you can forgo making money for 4-8 years (depending on the career and degree), and make $100+ dollars an hour for the rest of your life. Just like we can win the division, lose in the playoffs and get a pick in the 20s every round with a bit of short term success and lower our chance of winning the SB in the future, or get a higher pick in the top 5-10, and get that elite player and better player in each round after to increase your chances of winning a SB in the future and improve your team longterm.

The decision isn't hard, . Our future is bleak.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Can we beat the Tennessee Titans?  Yes or No?  I do believe we can.  That's all I care about right now. I don't care about the rest of this stuff.

That should tell you all you need to know about this team. We are questioning if we can beat the Titans. Basically every game we have a good chance of losing right now. This team isn't right. What's going to happen against real teams? We had a good matchup against Denver, and even that fell apart. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Can we beat the Tennessee Titans?  Yes or No?  I do believe we can.  That's all I care about right now. I don't care about the rest of this stuff.

I really hope we can. I want to see a complete game from this team. I thought we were going to get one last weekend... Almost...

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That should tell you all you need to know about this team. We are questioning if we can beat the Titans. Basically every game we have a good chance of losing right now. This team isn't right. What's going to happen against real teams? We had a good matchup against Denver, and even that fell apart. 

Aren't you the guy who doesn't believe in hypotheticals? If indeed that is for real then there is no sense in talking about tanking and all that other stuff.    Let's get this W against Tennessee.   I do believe we can and somewhere in your head I'm sure you do too. I'm not even focused on talking about divisions and all that other stuff right now.  I'm well aware of the kind of ball we are playing right now and it's not good enough. Let's just see if we can improve upon Houston and get a W.  If this team is as bad as you and some of the others feel then we'll end up with a top tiered draft pick any way.  Let's just focus on improving from our last outing.  It's about all we can do right now.  

Just now, krunk said:

Aren't you the guy who doesn't believe in hypotheticals? If indeed that is for real then there is no sense in talking about tanking and all that other stuff.    Let's get this W against Tennessee.   I do believe we can and somewhere in your head I'm sure you do too. 

Of course i do, this is a winnable game, probably 60-40 our way. However it's a 60-40% against a bottom 3 team in the nfl. So if we beat them, we'll probably go 6-10 for the season based on winning a couple games we shouldn't of, and it'll be just enough to miss out on an elite pass rusher. If we go 8-8 and make the playoffs (best case scenario), we pick 22nd and miss out on all kinds of talent. I'm thinking for the future. I want to win a SB in 3 years. That will take a few extra drafts mixed with the last two drafts getting used to the NFL and becoming staples for this team. We need elite pass rushers, and possibly 3 elite defensive players. We aren't getting anything special on defense by drafting late except Henry Anderson.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Of course i do, this is a winnable game, probably 60-40 our way. However it's a 60-40% against a bottom 3 team in the nfl. So if we beat them, we'll probably go 6-10 for the season based on winning a couple games we shouldn't of, and it'll be just enough to miss out on an elite pass rusher. If we go 8-8 and make the playoffs (best case scenario), we pick 22nd and miss out on all kinds of talent. I'm thinking for the future. I want to win a SB in 3 years. That will take a few extra drafts mixed with the last two drafts getting used to the NFL and becoming staples for this team. We need elite pass rushers, and possibly 3 elite defensive players. We aren't getting anything special on defense by drafting late except Henry Anderson.

It's all hypothetical.  Let's say we tank, get some good draft picks and then end up with a coach who is worse than Pagano and then another GM who is worse than Grigson?  It can certainly happen.    I just want to focus on Tennessee because the hypotheticals are in the millions right now.

4 hours ago, Chucklez said:

But.....

I want the colts to lose out, and it's not because I want the first draft choice. It's because when it's all on the line (oh and it was all on the line Sunday night), you can count on this team to choke. The reason I want the colts to lose out, is because it's about the only way we get rid of this staff. How do the colts start worse than last year? Beyond me. D gets its starters back and we are worse than ever. 

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's all hypothetical.  Let's say we tank, get some good draft picks and then end up with a coach who is worse than Pagano and then another GM who is worse than Grigson?  It can certainly happen.    I just want to focus on Tennessee because the hypotheticals are in the millions right now.

I'm willing to take the chance on a new coach, as far as Grigson goes, it's harder as I don't know a lot in detail about 1/2 the GM's in the league and especially unhired ones. So I'd have to do some research. However, we know our weaknesses, and they need to be filled. If we continue along this path, we'll either lose Luck when his next contract comes around, or he'll retire without a ring, and this organization will have lost a huge opportunity with a once in a generation qb at the helm.

I'll sacrifice a season or two to win a SB with Luck in the future. It's a marathon, not a sprint. There's only one winner every year. As Colts fans, we should know all those divisional titles don't mean a thing if you go one and done in the playoffs. That's our ceiling this year, and it would be a curse more than a blessing. Time to regroup, refocus, and rebuild this team through the draft into a powerhouse that can win the SB in 3 years.

54 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

To the people who aren't for tanking, it's just like making the decision to go to college after high school. You can get a job at a gas station or a fast food restaurant and make $10 an hour for the rest of your life, or you can forgo making money for 4-8 years (depending on the career and degree), and make $100+ dollars an hour for the rest of your life. Just like we can win the division, lose in the playoffs and get a pick in the 20s every round with a bit of short term success and lower our chance of winning the SB in the future, or get a higher pick in the top 5-10, and get that elite player and better player in each round after to increase your chances of winning a SB in the future and improve your team longterm.

The decision isn't hard, we are the high school dropout/high school diploma team without a college degree. Our future is bleak.

lol. I know you will get a lot of flak for that analogy but it is both true and false. You can still screw up drafting even with a lower pick. But if you have a great GM, you wouldn't miss that low or you can still grab awesome players in higher rounds like the Broncos did. With Grigson and our scouts.... that is a bleak outcome.

52 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Someone who settles for a bit of short term success (a possible trip to the playoffs and a first round loss with no long term benefit) rather than sacrificing for the future, I'd say my college example describes you perfectly.

No it still doesn't.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The decision isn't hard,Our future is bleak.

Or you can go to school and get a university degree, then continue to go for various professional development and still end up working an industry that requires no education. Welcome to the 2000s.

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

There are no cakewalks concerning the Colts

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That should tell you all you need to know about this team. We are questioning if we can beat the Titans.

As we should be.  Not only should we have lost last year in Tennessee, we should have been blown out.  Of all the comebacks in Luck's first four years, that game is near the top of the list of:  how the hell did we win this game?

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

All games are winnable if this team plays a full 60 minutes and the coach quits calling stupid plays and wasting timeouts. JMO of course.

10 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Well said, and I agree. The AFC South has been masking the team's deficits for too long. In any other division, they'd have had multiple high draft-pick years. 

10 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Definitely. Until we are mathematically written off, I am still gonna hold out hope of winning the division.

I mean, the most infuriating and frustrating thing to me is this could easily be a 4 - 2 team if there were some better coaching. We had no business losing to the Lions with 37s left on the clock and the game on Sunday was just a disaster in the final 5 minutes. Make better coaching decisions and we are easily 4 - 2 and in the driver seat for the division.

Funny how you don`t remember how we never should have been able to have our QB run it for 20+
 on 3rd and 20 to save our ____ for a Chance to regain the lead. chuckle

9 hours ago, Susie Q said:

All games are winnable if this team plays a full 60 minutes and the coach quits calling stupid plays and wasting timeouts. JMO of course.

Exactly.

Nothing about this team has equated to that so the 'I think they'll win' statements are just fans hoping we get it together.

The tv has told us otherwise.

They don't get the benefit of the doubt from me until they start winning.

They're a last place team in the worst division in football at the end of the day.

even we could sneak into the playoff,it's a one and done team to me right now unless they can work out some magic immediately. we lost both divisional games so far,which is a huge blow to this team,especially mentally considering they dominated the division before. hope we can get through with positive mindset