Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Long?

AZColt11

For those that say the HC and/or GM should be fired.  Let's say that happens at the end of the season.  Let's say the Colts hire the right guys to lead this team.  How many years do you think it will take for them to be a LEGIT threat to make the Superbowl?  I have an answer in mind but wanted to see what others thought first.

3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

For those that say the HC and/or GM should be fired.  Let's say that happens at the end of the season.  Let's say the Colts hire the right guys to lead this team.  How many years do you think it will take for them to be a LEGIT threat to make the Superbowl?  I have an answer in mind but wanted to see what others thought first.

I think if we can manage to get legitimate playmakers on the D side of things, and a legitimate running back to spell Gore and take over for him when he's no longer a Colt, and get qualified coaches, we could possibly be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in 2-3 seasons. JMO

3 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

I think if we can manage to get legitimate playmakers on the D side of things, and a legitimate running back to spell Gore and take over for him when he's no longer a Colt, and get qualified coaches, we could possibly be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in 2-3 seasons. JMO

And by playmakers I mean contributing rookies(future draft picks)

2 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

Exactly, talk about squandered time!

I think what hurts is that people outside of the Colts organization are laughing at our franchise right now.  They see the owner have his troubles, they see him re-sign rather than fire the GM and HC when EVERYONE, including themselves, expected to be gone, they see things turning out EXACTLY as they thought they would....a disaster, the colossal failures in Foxboro, they see the numerous misses on FA's, on draft picks, they see a roster so devoid of talent that if their star QB doesn't have a fantastic game they have no shot.....and even then (see Detroit game) it's no guarantee.  Now this game.  People are laughing at the Colts, think they're a joke.  And I have to admit, they sort of are right now.  And as a fan, it hurts man.  It definitely hurts.

First of all we need to find the right GM. 

Not a rookie like Grigson, but one who knows how to build a strong roster on both sides of the Ball and one who have spotted talent in the past and knows how to make the right draft decisions. 

Who then will become our Head Coach, I honestly dont know, but we need a strong coach who can unleash the potential in this team.

Colts won't make the playoff this year or next year if we keep pagano and grigson, and I hope Irsay will realize that after this season.

People mention Harbaugh... dont know if he's the right guy, but he could be. 

I would love to see David Shaw as our next head coach. 

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I think what hurts is that people outside of the Colts organization are laughing at our franchise right now.  They see the owner have his troubles, they see him re-sign rather than fire the GM and HC when EVERYONE, including themselves, expected to be gone, they see things turning out EXACTLY as they thought they would....a disaster, the colossal failures in Foxboro, they see the numerous misses on FA's, on draft picks, they see a roster so devoid of talent that if their star QB doesn't have a fantastic game they have no shot.....and even then (see Detroit game) it's no guarantee.  Now this game.  People are laughing at the Colts, think they're a joke.  And I have to admit, they sort of are right now.  And as a fan, it hurts man.  It definitely hurts.

Yea, we're getting a lot of that lately. People are laughing at our owner for being a drug addict. They're laughing at us for being the whistle-blowers of Deflate-Gate. They're making "Suck with Luck" jokes. We get a lot of that, and I wish we could move on from it.

3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Spot on. I feel safe saying that we all as Colts nation are feeling it. Dark times that we'll weather and move forward. Have faith it's bound to get better, it's happened before(better times after a bad stretch). 

4 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Yea, we're getting a lot of that lately. People are laughing at our owner for being a drug addict. They're laughing at us for being the whistle-blowers of Deflate-Gate. They're making "Suck with Luck" jokes. We get a lot of that, and I wish we could move on from it.

Sad thing is it will only get worse the longer we keep Pagano and Grigson.... :facepalm:

30 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Longer than Lucks career

14 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

There us no sorta about it. They ARE right.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

Probably three years.      We need three years of attention to the defense. 

What we're seeing is a defense that will likely end up ranked somewhere between 25-32 at the end of the year.   That's the bottom quarter of the NFL.

It takes a long time to build a good defense....

There are no short cuts......   you need talent and we don't have much on that side of the ball....

3 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I think this team has been buried so deep under ground by the current management that it would certainly take time before we make our way out of that hole. 2 years, maybe 3 until we start looking like a good team after what Grigson has done to this roster and maybe a year or two more before we are legit contenders. And that's assuming the new management is relatively good at their job.

If you hire the right HC and GM, things can turn around very quickly. With better coaching alone, this team could already have 2-3 more wins.  With slightly better talent - an occasional pass rush and average O-line play - this team could already have 2-3 more wins. 

Super Bowl contenders?  Things can happen pretty damn quickly in the NFL.  If you get better coaching, if you protect Luck, find a pass rush and several playmakers on D, you could make a playoff run next year.  You already have the hardest part to find - the QB. 

4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I don't see any dynastic franchises out there. I think we can hang with any team in the league as we've shown this year already. Get the right coaches and GM if you want and add a couple studs on defense and we'll be contending next year. 

You are joking, right? New England could hang 100 points on this team. They beat this same Houston team 27-0 with their third string QB making his first NFL start in only his 4th game in the NFL.

Luck is not the type of quarterback to carry a bad team like Manning did, especially without a smart OC. Turnovers and regular poorly thrown passes should be rarities at this point in Luck's career. They are all too common.

5 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I think you would see dramatic improvement year 1 and so on.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Probably three years.      We need three years of attention to the defense. 

What we're seeing is a defense that will likely end up ranked somewhere between 25-32 at the end of the year.   That's the bottom quarter of the NFL.

It takes a long time to build a good defense....

There are no short cuts......   you need talent and we don't have much on that side of the ball....

Yeah there is no playmakers no difference makers on our defense. 

Thanks folks, great replies.  I'm not sure this is gonna happen but IF Irsay finally had enough and brought in a PROVEN HC and GM and IF they had a really good defensive draft, signed a couple of good FA's, I think in 18 months or so this team could be a legit contender.  I think the offense has some good pieces around it.  I think another year of seasoning for our young OL's would be good too.  Perhaps one FA vet for the OL, maybe a guard to settle them down.  Draft the hell out of the defense, have them just be able to hold a lead at the end of a game.  I think Luck is good enough to do the rest.  I believe this team could be a wild-card team in the first season, and then be ready to make a legit run the following season.

If everything falls into place nicely, I think we're about 2 years away from being Super Bowl contenders.  But that's if everything falls into place well (eg. finding a GM who can get good talent, finding a good defensive coordinator, finding a good head coach, having good drafts, etc.).  Realistically, I think it's more like 3 years

9 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I know we love the team but other organizations have waited way longer than us for a super bowl and are still waiting. No need to be spoiled. When it happens it happens.

We had luck on a rookie deal and did the worst job possible of putting a team around him. No talent at all. Not many teams have that chance.

7 hours ago, Wes Heilman said:

You are joking, right? New England could hang 100 points on this team. They beat this same Houston team 27-0 with their third string QB making his first NFL start in only his 4th game in the NFL.

Luck is not the type of quarterback to carry a bad team like Manning did, especially without a smart OC. Turnovers and regular poorly thrown passes should be rarities at this point in Luck's career. They are all too common.

Stats for 5th year

Manning: 66.3%, 4,200 yards, 7.1 yards/attempt, 27 TD's (4.6% of attempts), 19 Ints (3.2% of attempts), Passer rating of 88.8

Luck on pace for:

64.1%, 4,589 yards, 7.3 Yards/attempt, 29 TD's (4.6% of attempts), 11 Ints (1.7% of attempts), Passer rating of 94.2

On every statistic except completion percentage (where he is only 2.2% lower) Luck this year is Manning's equal or superior.

10 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Stats for 5th year

Manning: 66.3%, 4,200 yards, 7.1 yards/attempt, 27 TD's (4.6% of attempts), 19 Ints (3.2% of attempts), Passer rating of 88.8

Luck on pace for:

64.1%, 4,589 yards, 7.3 Yards/attempt, 29 TD's (4.6% of attempts), 11 Ints (1.7% of attempts), Passer rating of 94.2

On every statistic except completion percentage (where he is only 2.2% lower) Luck this year is Manning's equal or superior.

The game is more like flag football now so the number comparison is a bit of a joke. lol

Definitely more probable into the 3 year. That if most all our guys taken in the last 2 drafts get Much better.

How about that Chester Rogers. > than Grigs boy Dorsett who is < than Belicheks boy M Brown? lol

13 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I should think it could be done in 2 years.  

If we let go of Grigson and Pagano at the end of this year, there are a lot of resources for them to come in and start rebuilding the team.  We're going to have a pretty good amount of cap space and there are several players that could be cut for more cap space.  On top of that we don't have a lot of talent in their contract years this year.  

I would also expect that we would be picking in the top half of the draft as well.  Plus we would likely get a compensatory selection in the draft.  

So if the new GM selects good FA's and drafts well then the turn around could be swift.  

It's also worth noting that we are seeing a lot of positives from some players who are in their first or second years in the NFL and likely to improve.  Green, Geathers, Kelly, Haeg, Good to name a few.  

43 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The game is more like flag football now so the number comparison is a bit of a joke. lol

But if Manning had this amazing ability to win games all by himself in 2002, one would think he would have better stats.

Also I don't know how true that statement really is.  PI was always a part of the game and you can get away with a lot of contact as long as you are making a play on the ball.  You can't hold their arm or hook their body (which was always considered PI), but if you are looking to make a play on the ball, most of the contact is overlooked.

43 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

But if Manning had this amazing ability to win games all by himself in 2002, one would think he would have better stats.

Also I don't know how true that statement really is.  PI was always a part of the game and you can get away with a lot of contact as long as you are making a play on the ball.  You can't hold their arm or hook their body (which was always considered PI), but if you are looking to make a play on the ball, most of the contact is overlooked.

2 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Yes your not reading me wrong. We can still win the division. We need a new defensive game plan though. 

We have very little chance of winning our division and even if by some freak circumstances we did we are not a SB caliber team.  We would be embarrassed in the playoffs before we ever made it to the SB. 

Look at what the Patriots did to the Texans (who we just lost to) without Brady.  Imagine what they would do to us, we would be wishing we only got embarrassed as bad as the last time we played them in the playoffs. 

We need to concentrate on getting our house in order and not worry about the playoffs. Try thinking 2018. 

I see Pagano getting the axe, and Grigson being retained for at least one more season. The main reason being that head coach will be a much easier position to fill than GM, and since Irsay is on the hook for both of their contracts either way, I just don't see him firing both. That's a lot of money to just eat, even for a billionaire. And considering Irsay really likes Grigson, I think we're stuck with him, for better or worse. That's the bad news. The good news is that the weaknesses for the Colts at this point are so painfully obvious, and the '17 draft class is stacked with talent in those exact areas, that even Grigson should be able to nail this next draft blindfolded.

As for how long we can expect the rebuild to be complete and this team be a SB contender, it's tough to say, but I wouldn't expect it to take as long as others seem to think. If they get rid of the dead weight, both roster and cap-wise, there should be some decent cap space to bring in a legit playmaker, or 2, on defense. Combine that with a potential top-10 draft pick on the defensive side of the ball, we could be in business pretty quick.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Why would they fire Chud? A new head coach that can actually game plan would solve a lot of issues on that side of the ball, without having to replace the OC.

Because HC's want to bring in their guy, just like GM's want their coach.

Besides Chud sucks....  he is not getting out of this offense what he should be.  Very bad game plans (it took complaints from fans and media to start using up tempo on a regular basis)  7 step drops with a young inexperienced line make the QB get hit a lot.

He needs to go.  

16 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

3 years at the very least. The entire defense needs a makeover, offensive line will take a long time before it gets to a high level and the leadership will need to step it up. 

Like many have said, our team is a mix of very young inexperienced players, a handful of high-level veteran stars (Luck, TY, Vinny, Davis, Pat), and then a lot of washed up players that would barely make the practice squad for most other teams. There is no leadership from any long-term veterans since they don't exist for us. 

It's a very bad combination and situation to be in.