Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

44 Can Play

BlueShoe

Watching Pagano's Press Conference today, and can't get Pagano's grin out of my mind when he said "44 can play!"

"Seems like he has been here 4, or, 5, or 6 years." - Pagano is glowing over #44.

I believe Morrison is starting this week folks.

52 and 44 inside. :)

I hope he starts, back when we drafted him I compared him to one of my all time favorite Colts(another linebacker from Florida in the '99 draft-Mike Peterson). Still don't understand why Polian let Mike walk after his 4th year. If Morrison is even half the player Peterson was we will have the steal of this years draft. He looked good in the preseason. Let's get him out there in week one!

Polian didn't pay top dollar to retain OLB'ers back then, and it was hard to argue against him, he lost guys like Mike Peterson every year or two, and replaced them with guys who were just as effective, but for pennies on the dollar...... at least for a while, he found Marcus Washinton, Cato June ( both went on to make pro bowls), David Thornton was let go and replaced..... it worked well for about 5 years.....  Then we had Rob Morris, Freddy Keiaho, etc....

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Who goes out for the nickel, McNary/Morris or DJ?  In other words, who's the best in coverage?

Right now I would have to say McNary is our best cover ILB, but I have a feeling we might do more with our safeties this year than we have in the past. It wouldn't surprise me to see #29, #32, and #26 all on the field at the same time (bigger nickle package). We need to get Geathers healthy again though. 

I have anticipated us using three safeties on the field at the same time for a while now. All three of them can cover and hit. I believe this is our countermeasure to the TE phenomenon spreading in the NFL. 

I do believe #44 can grow into an outstanding MIKE. Not sure about the WILL part yet though. But if #44 starts then we will see, because DQ is not a WILL. :)

14 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I hope you are right about Morrison starting but...

In reply to Brandon Mathe

. Nope, no Sio Moore. Josh McNary is a real possibility to start next to D'Qwell Jackson, but we'll see.

First rule of twitter... Un-follow Stephen Holder, he's useless.

5 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I think Holder is off on this one.

After watching Pagano's latest press conference, it is pretty obvious to me that #44 will either Start or see A LOT of reps against Detroit. And I don't think Chuck was trying to hide it either. In fact, he could have let the question go, but he just couldn't help himself. He was grinning from ear-to-ear.

Start at 4:13 and let is roll. :)

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Coach-Pagano-Full-Press-Conference-9-5-2016/7d3f5143-1f37-49ed-9daa-0356102a58e1

26 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I hope you are right about Morrison starting but...

In reply to Brandon Mathe

. Nope, no Sio Moore. Josh McNary is a real possibility to start next to D'Qwell Jackson, but we'll see.

Even if Morrison doesn't start Pagano and Monachino will get him out there for sure. Maybe they will alternate McNary and Morrison.

6 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I sure hope he starts. I would much rather see Morrison going through the growing pains as our future then McNary who is horrible anyway! 

Yeah it sure goes from... 

an "upper" with Morrison and DQwell Jackson.

to a "downer" with McNary and Jackson. LOL

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

44 is likely the long-term replacement for DQ Jackson.     He's a Mike,  not a Will.

So,  it's not clear to me that AM plays the Will next to DQJ.

Some linebackers can play either spot.     But not all can, and we don't know yet if 44 is one of them.

We'll see.

We all have somewhat assumed that Morrison is a "MIKE", and is what makes this even more intriguing. The players who can play all over, tend to have qualities of greatness. 

Pagano (And any other NFL head coach) is going to get his best players on the field.

We know that DQ is a MIKE and only a MIKE. We "thought" Morrison was a MIKE too. After this preseason, I would not rule our Morrison playing WILL until he is eventually moved to MIKE.

Watch the clip (start at 4:13):

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Coach-Pagano-Full-Press-Conference-9-5-2016/7d3f5143-1f37-49ed-9daa-0356102a58e1

We'll see.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

We all have somewhat assumed that Morrison is a "MIKE", and is what makes this even more intriguing. The players who can play all over, tend to have qualities of greatness. 

Pagano (And any other NFL head coach) is going to get his best players on the field.

We know that DQ is a MIKE and only a MIKE. We "thought Morrison was a MIKE too. I would not rule our Morrison playing WILL.

Watch the clip (start at 4:13):

We'll see.

To be clear,  I wouldn't rule it out either....

I'm only saying it's too early to know one way or the other for sure....

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Did you watch today's press conference?

I haven't yet,  though I did read about it.

It sounds like the presser the night that the Colts drafted Morrison.    Grigson and Pagano were giddy....   like they stole someone from everyone else.      They loved, Loved, LOVED him on draft night.

Sounds like nothing has changed.     I'm excited to see him play....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I haven't yet,  though I did read about it.

It sounds like the presser the night that the Colts drafted Morrison.    Grigson and Pagano were giddy....   like they stole someone from everyone else.      They loved, Loved, LOVED him on draft night.

Sounds like nothing has changed.     I'm excited to see him play....

Watch the press conference.

Start at 4:13 and it will become very clear what's happening.

No way McNary should start. He's nothing more than a average backup ILB. I'm getting more and more excited about Morrison. He needs to be starting. Maybe we found a gem in the 5th with 44.

But by the way. Does it bother anyone else that LB's can wear numbers in the 40's now? I freaking hate that. LOL It just looks wrong. But I'll get used to it if he goes out there and balls out this year. But what's next? WR's wearing single digits??? "Cough, Cough" Kelvin Benjamin. LOL.

2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I hope he starts, back when we drafted him I compared him to one of my all time favorite Colts(another linebacker from Florida in the '99 draft-Mike Peterson). Still don't understand why Polian let Mike walk after his 4th year. If Morrison is even half the player Peterson was we will have the steal of this years draft. He looked good in the preseason. Let's get him out there in week one!

He reminds me of Jeff Herrod.

9 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

No way McNary should start. He's nothing more than a average backup ILB. I'm getting more and more excited about Morrison. He needs to be starting. Maybe we found a gem in the 5th with 44.

But by the way. Does it bother anyone else that LB's can wear numbers in the 40's now? I freaking hate that. LOL It just looks wrong. But I'll get used to it if he goes out there and balls out this year. But what's next? WR's wearing single digits??? "Cough, Cough" Kelvin Benjamin. LOL.

Yeah strange for a linebacker it was Dallas Clark old number. 

48 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Pagano is right, Dan Morgan can play. It's too bad those damn injuries took him away so soon.

I'm assuming your talking about his college number, but...LOL. I'm only 26, but Morgan came into the league in like 2000 or 01 I think. I would have been 10-11 years old. But anyway. Man I thought that dude was going to be a superstar. He had his best years after I was a teenager, though. But you're right. He couldn't ever stay healthy.

BTW. Pags could have also been referring to Dallas Clark. He could play too. lmao

7 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

He reminds me of Jeff Herrod.

I am not ready to go there just yet. Maybe someday though. If I did then it would be the highest praise I could give him. I have to admit that I thought about him wearing #54 and have wished 54 was open so he could wear it.

Jeff Herrod was the best "Indy Colt" linebacker of all-time. Had he played for a good team then he would have been to multiple Pro Bowls, and it's not out of the question that he could have become an All-Pro.

5 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Yeah, what the heck is it with McNary making the team over Irving? Has McNary transformed his play or is he just a better fit in Monachino's scheme than Ivring? 

Pagano made it clear,  one of the things that cost Irving is he doesn't play special teams.    McNary does.

There may be other issues under consideration,   but ST is clearly a big one.

14 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Watching Pagano's Press Conference today, and can't get Pagano's grin out of my mind when he said "44 can play!"

"Seems like he has been here 4, or, 5, or 6 years." - Pagano is glowing over #44.

I believe Morrison is starting this week folks.

52 and 44 inside. :)

ha!  When I first read this title I thought it was saying we only had 44 healthy players, although I guess both could be true.  

As a Gator alum I have mixed feelings.  I've watched every game of Morrison's career and if he's in pre-injury condition he will be a steal.  He was (hopefully is now after 2 years removed from ACL injury) a sideline-to-sideline guy.  He is great in zone coverage and OK in man.  I will say this, he will be able to cover TE's better than DQ.

I just still think we should've kept Irving for depth.  Seems he played way more than Sio and McNary just doesn't excite me.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

44 is likely the long-term replacement for DQ Jackson.     He's a Mike,  not a Will.

So,  it's not clear to me that AM plays the Will next to DQJ.

Some linebackers can play either spot.     But not all can, and we don't know yet if 44 is one of them.

We'll see.

What are the skill set differences between the 2??  Is Will suppose to have better coverage skills?

17 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

What are the skill set differences between the 2??  Is Will suppose to have better coverage skills?

Typically the MIKE will play against the run and the WILL will cover. However, NFL defenses are much more complex, and often times the two will switch roles (or both do the same role) to be less predictable. 

21 hours ago, SilentHill said:

I like his opinions and insight on players, especially rookies/draft picks, but if you're looking for journalistic-fact-of-the-matter stuff, (like Pagano/Grigson getting fired, Mewhort's injury, etc) he's wrong WAY too often.

23 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Polian let every great LB we ever drafted walked. He was a master in finding them in the draft, but never resigned him. His philosophy, not a position where you spend money? I don't agree!