Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WarGhost's Toughest Cuts to Make 2016

WarGhost21

Last night, the bottom part of the depth chart had an extended look at the field in an attempt to prove they were worthy of a roster spot. While some underperformed or are at positions to deep for them to be kept, other position battles are worth taking a look at. Here are some of the players up in the air at the 3 most obvious positions. 

Wide Receiver:

This is by far the biggest question of who to keep in my opinion. Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett are obviously 1, 2, 3, but who comes after them? The three with the most compelling cases are Quan Bray, Chester Rogers, and Tevaun Smith. While Quan Bray has a better chance at making the roster due to his deadly return abilities, none of the three are a lock. Rogers and Smith have both looked very good at camp and through the Preseason, but with the Colts likely only keeping 5 receivers, one of the three has to go. The question now is who?

D-line:

Even with injuries plaguing the defense, one of the biggest questions on that side of the ball is who will be the backup's on the line. Our main three is more than likely set with David Parry, Henry Anderson, and Kendall Langford, but with Anderson questionable for week one, the depth is going to be tested. Primary backup Art Jones is currently working through a four-game suspension, leaving Rookie Hassan Ridgeway, TY McGill, and Zach Kerr as the top options at backup. This will be another tough decision for the franchise.

Tight End:

The top two TE spots are all but taken, with Dwayne Allen and Jack Doyle filling those. The 3rd spot is up for grabs, though. Chase Coffman has looked good on special teams while also getting involved in the offense, while Erik Swoope has looked great on the offense. It will be tougher than many would think to decide between the two for the final spot.

Other Positions with Tough Decisions: QB, O-line, Linebacker, Cornerback

Thanks for reading!! Hope you enjoyed!

Just don't see in Swoope what others see.  He looks smallish for a TE and not that fast for being smallish.  Coffman is by far the better player.

Rogers and Bray make the team.  Smith goes to PS. 

I think most teams carry only two QBs, so I think we can put Morris on the PS.

No RB stood out to me except for Trey Williams, and he's gone already.  Grigson will probably look at the other cuts and pick up an RB from there, so our third RB is TBD, IMO.

I just know there's going to be a lot of tough decisions to make.

I actually think the back up OL played pretty well overall  especially in pass protection. I remember in years past the back up qb's would always be running for their life but not so much this pre season overall. save for the Philly game. But also they've faced 3 very tough D lines this pre season.

I've been saying since preseason started that Morris should be kept over Tolzein. Unless Tolzein provides something more behind the scenes that we aren't seeing, I think Morris is the clear favorite... in my opinion at least. 

Wide Receiver group will be tough, at least between Rogers and Smith only because I don't see us cutting Bray or keeping 6 receivers. 

The running backs aside from obviously Frank will be anyone's guess. 

4 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

I've been saying since preseason started that Morris should be kept over Tolzein. Unless Tolzein provides something more behind the scenes that we aren't seeing, I think Morris is the clear favorite... in my opinion at least. 

Wide Receiver group will be tough, at least between Rogers and Smith only because I don't see us cutting Bray or keeping 6 receivers. 

The running backs aside from obviously Frank will be anyone's guess. 

I read somewhere that if they cut Tolzien, they have a chance to get a 7th comp because his signing cancelled out Lowerys departure I think. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Just don't see in Swoope what others see.  He looks smallish for a TE and not that fast for being smallish.  Coffman is by far the better player.

No RB stood out to me except for Trey Williams, and he's gone already.  Grigson will probably look at the other cuts and pick up an RB from there, so our third RB is TBD, IMO.

Swoope is 6'5 260 lbs.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

After last season I think you have to give serious consideration to having 3 QB's active.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Swoope is 6'5 260 lbs.

Doesn't look that big.  I think he is Coby Fleener, except not as tall and not as fast.  

I don't think another team would be interested in putting him on their 53 man roster.  I would cut him or put him to PS if available.

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Doesn't look that big.  I think he is Coby Fleener, except not as tall and not as fast.  

I don't think another team would be interested in putting him on their 53 man roster.  I would cut him or put him to PS if available.

He looked nothing like Fleener. I felt he looked just right for the part of a pass catching TE and enough size to chip block as needed. He isnt going to be confused for an olineman and I'm perfectly fine with that. Go with youth here IMO. 

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Prove it based on production.  What has Coffman done?  Bounced around the league for years. Swoope has caught every single pass thrown to him and gotten YAC and separation.  What more do you want?  He's not small and he's way faster than Coffman who is slow.

14 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Post of the day...

McAfee for the win...

I was hoping to see some Pat McAfee foolery in the pre-season. I loved his field goal attempt at the end of the Ravens game even though he came up just a hair short. He was dead on though and I know he has the leg for it.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Ju.st don't see in Swoope what others see.  He looks smallish for a TE and not that fast for being smallish.  Coffman is by far the better player.

MorrIs Is not practise squad eligable.

58 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Morris > Tolzein 

Swoope > Coffman 

Morrison > McNary

Todman > Ferguson  

the only difficult decision is Smith or Rogers 

Butler or D'Jaun Smith might be a tough decision 

I also think Thornton might be gonzies. 

I agree with this, not sure either between Smith or Rogers - that is tough! Just glad Pre-season is over, 1 week until real Football.

8 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

He was on practise squad the past two years. I dont think he can be on It for a third.

I thought the eligibility had to do with if Morris had 2 accrued seasons or not.  The accrued seasons has to do with if the player was active for a certain number of games.  I am not sure how many, but the number 6 comes to mind.  I could be wrong though, I am sure someone will correct me if this is incorrect.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/6/25/12021304/nfl-practice-squad-rules-explained-more-mailbag-answers

Here is the actual PS rules. Overall very simple if you can remember the rules. The main point to remember when it comes to signing a player from another teams PS is that the player picked off said teams PS you have to either have an open spot on your roster or you have to cut 1 player to make room on your ACTIVE ROSTER for said PS player from other team. In other words if Grigson/Pagano get a player from another teams PS he goes straight to the Colts active 53 man roster and Pagano has to cut 1 player to free up a roster spot for the incoming player.

Said player Can NOT go to the Colts own PS

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Prove it based on production.  What has Coffman done?  Bounced around the league for years. Swoope has caught every single pass thrown to him and gotten YAC and separation.  What more do you want?  He's not small and he's way faster than Coffman who is slow.

Swoope will not be added to anybody's 53 roster if cut.  We can pick him off of the street if we have to midseason.  He is smaller and slower than Fleener, and about half of the fans never liked Fleener.....just because.

Now that half is going to like Swoope....just because. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Swoope will not be added to anybody's 53 roster if cut.  We can pick him off of the street if we have to midseason.  He is smaller and slower than Fleener, and about half of the fans never liked Fleener.....just because.

pure bull Doug. And we should keep in his place a slow veteran tight end who can't stick with any team? That's exactly who Chase Coffman is. I dont see a line of suitors beating down his door Doug. We all know what Chase Coffman is. You'll see his name on the roster cuts tommorow guaranteed. We've spent 2 years developing Swoope from the ground up and he is making plays in every game we've had this year. And you're saying to us now the next logical step in return for his production is to cut him so that we can keep an even slower and older version of Coby Fleener? Nobody is running to put Coffman on their 53. Swoope will be on the Colts 53 you can book that.

I would take Morris over Tolzien. I don't think he lasts past waivers if we wanted to put him on the PS. WR will be the really hard part. I would take Smith and Rogers and cut Bray, then have someone else do the return duties. I also think we keep Swoope. He's looked good in preseason.

We'll also be looking at waiver wire players so this roster isn't set yet.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Let me guess....fans didn't like Fleener because he's white?

52 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Id take Morris over tolzien. I don't  think he lasts past waivers if we wanted to put him on the PS. WR will be the really hard part. I would take Smith and Rogers and cut Bray, then have someone else do the return duties. I also think we keep Swoope. He's looked good in preseason.

We'll also be looking at waiver wire players so this roster isn't set yet.

I agree I like morris better than tolzein. Id like for them to keep Rogers and Smith as well. Let Bray go and use Todman for KO's and Rogers on punts. I also like Todman over Ferguson.

Hearing Pagano after the game Grigson today on 1070 I get the impression they are really wanting to keep Morris but aren't willing to part with Tolzien to do it for whatever reason.  If injuries force them to keep just two I think it will be really hard for them to cut Morris but they will do it because again for whatever reason in the Colts eyes Tolzien is the backup QB and that's not going to change before final cuts.

3 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

I agree I like morris better than tolzein. Id like for them to keep Rogers and Smith as well. Let Bray go and use Todman for KO's and Rogers on punts. I also like Todman over Ferguson.

I don't think it's a question of Todman over Ferguson.  I think it's a question of will they keep three backs or four and if it's three it's Todman or Ridley.

Again listening to the Coaches and Grigson talk about Bray they think they have something special in him so it will probably come down to Rogers or Smith with one making it and one getting cut.  I think Rogers put the final stamp on his roster spot Thursday night and they will bring Smith back for the PS.

As for QB, the Colts have made it clear Tolzien is their backup QB and that's not changing.  So it comes down to do they keep two or three.  I think even the Colts feel Morris has earned a roster spot but it will be a numbers game.  Will the injuries allow them to keep three.  If they don't based on everything the Colts have said this pre-season Morris will be the odd man out.

On 9/3/2016 at 2:07 AM, GoColts8818 said:
On 9/2/2016 at 10:27 PM, jchandler7 said:
I don't think it's a question of Todman over Ferguson.  I think it's a question of will they keep three backs or four and if it's three it's Todman or Ridley.

Again listening to the Coaches and Grigson talk about Bray they think they have something special in him so it will probably come down to Rogers or Smith with one making it and one getting cut.  I think Rogers put the final stamp on his roster spot Thursday night and they will bring Smith back for the PS.

As for QB, the Colts have made it clear Tolzien is their backup QB and that's not changing.  So it comes down to do they keep two or three.  I think even the Colts feel Morris has earned a roster spot but it will be a numbers game.  Will the injuries allow them to keep three.  If they don't based on everything the Colts have said this pre-season Morris will be the odd man out.

I wasn't saying thats what I thought the Colts would do. I was stating what I WANTED the Colts to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

21 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Last night, the bottom part of the depth chart had an extended look at the field in an attempt to prove they were worthy of a roster spot. While some underperformed or are at positions to deep for them to be kept, other position battles are worth taking a look at. Here are some of the players up in the air at the 3 most obvious positions. 

Wide Receiver:

This is by far the biggest question of who to keep in my opinion. Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett are obviously 1, 2, 3, but who comes after them? The three with the most compelling cases are Quan Bray, Chester Rogers, and Tevaun Smith. While Quan Bray has a better chance at making the roster due to his deadly return abilities, none of the three are a lock. Rogers and Smith have both looked very good at camp and through the Preseason, but with the Colts likely only keeping 5 receivers, one of the three has to go. The question now is who?

D-line:

Even with injuries plaguing the defense, one of the biggest questions on that side of the ball is who will be the backup's on the line. Our main three is more than likely set with David Parry, Henry Anderson, and Kendall Langford, but with Anderson questionable for week one, the depth is going to be tested. Primary backup Art Jones is currently working through a four-game suspension, leaving Rookie Hassan Ridgeway, TY McGill, and Zach Kerr as the top options at backup. This will be another tough decision for the franchise.

Tight End:

The top two TE spots are all but taken, with Dwayne Allen and Jack Doyle filling those. The 3rd spot is up for grabs, though. Chase Coffman has looked good on special teams while also getting involved in the offense, while Erik Swoope has looked great on the offense. It will be tougher than many would think to decide between the two for the final spot.

Other Positions with Tough Decisions: QB, O-line, Linebacker, Cornerback

Thanks for reading!! Hope you enjoyed!

They better keep ALL those guys....I would love it if there were room for 4 TE as I think Coffman is a really solid player and the others are as well.  One injury and we'll be wishing we had him back.  Who knows if Allen will even be healthy game one.  But I don't see how they have room for 4 and they love their project Swoope and he's played well.   I think RB is another area of tough decisions.  I'd like us to keep Todman who has looked good running and returning and covering kicks.  I am not sure I trust bringing in someone at the last second unless they simply decided they had to.  I know Todman has bounced around, but in his limited opportunities he sure has seemed to make the most of them.  (PS: I know some decisions have already been made and implemented, so if the above is already resolved, I haven't seen any media but this post concerning cuts, so sorry if I am late to the table).  

16 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Morris > Tolzein 

Swoope > Coffman 

Morrison > McNary

Todman > Ferguson  

the only difficult decision is Smith or Rogers 

Butler or D'Jaun Smith might be a tough decision 

I also think Thornton might be gonzies. 

I'm with you on the above... but I'd be beyond shocked if they didn't keep Tolzien.  I also think as good as Swoope has looked (and he has for sure) Coffman is no slouch at all.  It's closer to Swoope = Coffman in my view., but as their pet project, Grigs needs a win and keeping Swoope will make him feel good on the effort put into him.  I'd be for keeping both as injury is a blink away at that position.  

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think people were just happy he could actually play as demonstrated in the preseason.  I don't think they are anti Coffman.  I'm not.  I like both of them.  

I don't get the big deal with Tolzein to be honest. Morris outperformed him in the preseason. Unless he does more behind the scenes than we see, why wouldn't the Colts stick with Morris instead? I know it's an argument about backup QB's but if we learned anything from last year, backups can be pretty darn valuable lol