Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says Rex Ryan the reason Luck didn't Play....

NewColtsFan

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

That and defense. When I look at this team, I have no idea how they really expect to do anything with that defense. The offense is bound to struggle, that's a given, but I don't see how they expect to stop anyone either. 

Shouldn't you worry about the fact the saints are terrible

He was going to play against the Packers but my guess here is it would've been for only 1 series. Irsay probably figured why not just keep him out until the home opener after last week got cancelled and lets see how the Line plays, etc.. I am just guessing. I really don't have a problem with what Irsay tweeted. Most franchise QB's generally either play a series or 2 or don't play at all until their 2nd Pre-Season game anyway. This has been going on for decades.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was going to play against the Packers but my guess here is it would've been for only 1 series. Irsay probably figured why not just keep him out until the home opener after last week got cancelled and lets how the Line plays, etc.. I am just guessing. I really don't have a problem with what Irsay tweeted. Most franchise QB's generally either play a series or 2 or don't play at all until their 2nd Pre-Season game anyway. This has been going on for decades.

Yes, I agree with you, and  I don't have a problem with the reason either.  

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Cant say I'm broken up that Andrew didn't play...

.....He probably needs to play in one pre-season game and he'll be ready

....and healthy

All of us would've loved to see him play but I am ok with him not playing. TY Hilton barely even played last night and came up hobbling. It would be ashame for anyone to get seriously injured in a meaningless Pre-season game. I am not even sure Andrew should play more than a Qtr next week. He probably needs some reps since he was injured last season so I can see a Qtr but I still wouldn't over do it in a Pre-season game.

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Cant say I'm broken up that Andrew didn't play...

.....He probably needs to play in one pre-season game and he'll be ready

....and healthy

I think this is the sentiment of many, including myself.

I do think what the OP and others have an issue with ~ is that Mr. Irsay tweeted about it, and let his reason be known.     :dunno:        Personally, I don't have a problem with any of it.    As many have said, most starting QB's don't even play much in pre-season games.  Seeing that he missed most of last season I agree that he needs to get some time in during pre-season and   I think he will play in the next two games and then may sit the final pre-season game,  which if I'm not mistaken is pretty standard proceedure.

1 minute ago, Gramz said:

I think this is the sentiment of many, including myself.

I do think what the OP and others have an issue with ~ is that Mr. Irsay tweeted about it, and let his reason be known.     :dunno:        Personally, I don't have a problem with any of it.    As many have said, most starting QB's don't even play much in pre-season games.  Seeing that he missed most of last season I agree that he needs to get some time in during pre-season and   I think he will play in the next two games and then may sit the final pre-season game,  which if I'm not mistaken is pretty standard proceedure.

I agree with your Post 100% and yes it is standard procedure.

On the Todman touchdown screen, Rex called an all out blitz. I'm not sure I want my quarterback subjected to that.

And Pagano did say he may not have played Luck in the Hall of Fame game and I think if he did play a series it would just be so the crowd had something to watch.

11 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Has Aaron Rodgers played yet?  Eli? Tony Romo?

....these games are mostly for guys trying to make the team and new players

Yeah most starting QB's don't play at all in the 1st game or if they do it's only for a series or 2 or a Qtr at most. The Hall of Fame Game is important to alot of fans and the league is why I think Andrew would've played a series or 2 in that one otherwise Irsay probably would've had plans in that game as well not to play him.

35 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

On the Todman touchdown screen, Rex called an all out blitz. I'm not sure I want my quarterback subjected to that.

And Pagano did say he may not have played Luck in the Hall of Fame game and I think if he did play a series it would just be so the crowd had something to watch.

I just now read your Post and Posted something similar to yours. I agree with your last paragraph.

This wouldn't even been a story had ESPN not made an *ic statement in the first place about Irsay being on something. We are watching the decline of what used to be one of the best sports channels in the country. They have become all about face time and argumentative issues, not sports. I don't know about others but I don't need to hear their personal thoughts on what they make up as stories and articles. IMO we are all fully capable of drawing our own conclusions and don't need their help. I get more useful information from listening to the radio broadcast where it's not all about face time.

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have to keep in mind that Rex whines about anything and everything. He is a drama queen and always has been. He played the media like fiddles when he was with the Jets and is trying to do the same thing in Buffalo

agree with you, which is why I am perplexed at the comments i saw on ESPN that were scathing toward Irsay (during a segment with Stink and another commentator on a summary show today)

Saying he's on something is just click bait.  Doesn't matter at all.  Often it leads to posts like 'he should just stay off twitter and keep his mouth shut' which is to say I suppose that anyone but him is allowed to talk about his team.

It's nonsense but, it works

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

This wouldn't even been a story had ESPN not made an *ic statement in the first place about Irsay being on something. We are watching the decline of what used to be one of the best sports channels in the country. They have become all about face time and argumentative issues, not sports. I don't know about others but I don't need to hear their personal thoughts on what they make up as stories and articles. IMO we are all fully capable of drawing our own conclusions and don't need their help. I get more useful information from listening to the radio broadcast where it's not all about face time.

Not to turn the thread here, but ESPN is no longer a sports network, but rather a social media network about sports.  They talk about nonsense topics and use sports figures to be the center carrier of the discussion.  Its become a lot like E network, except E uses celebrities.  

52 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not to turn the thread here, but ESPN is no longer a sports network, but rather a social media network about sports.  They talk about nonsense topics and use sports figures to be the center carrier of the discussion.  Its become a lot like E network, except E uses celebrities.  

Great post.    This is absolutely correct.   At least 50% of their coverage and talking points is in response to Facebook, Twitter and other social media crap.  Which makes me wonder why Irsay doesn't put his freaking phone down.   

14 hours ago, Bogie said:

That and defense. When I look at this team, I have no idea how they really expect to do anything with that defense. The offense is bound to struggle, that's a given, but I don't see how they expect to stop anyone either. 

well if you're basing that on last year's defensive performances then you need to know that the biggest issue the defense faced last year was an offense that couldn't sustain a drive to save their lives.  A more effective offense is the most important thing that our defense needs right now.  

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not that he didn't play.

It's that he didn't play because the Colts thought he'd have a good chance of getting hurt by Buffalo's defense and then went PUBLIC with the reason. 

Does THAT seem like a big deal to you?

Nope.  I have no problem with the decision nor Irsay's publicly admitting it.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not that he didn't play.

It's that he didn't play because the Colts thought he'd have a good chance of getting hurt by Buffalo's defense and then went PUBLIC with the reason. 

Does THAT seem like a big deal to you?

The bolded seems like an exaggeration. More like 'let's not risk putting our franchise QB behind a work in progress OL against one of the most aggressive defenses in the league on a sloppy field in a meaningless game.' 

Not that they thought there was a good change of him getting hurt. Just that, whatever the risk there was, they wanted to eliminate it entirely, given the circumstances. Luck took a couple of cringe-worthy hits in the Bears preseason game last year; no one liked watching that.

IMO, it's not a big deal at all. It's not uncommon for veteran players to sit out preseason games in less than ideal conditions. 

The offense obviously needs Luck out there, and he definitely needs to get some work in. But I'm not concerned with him missing out on a series or two in one preseason game. To me, it's a non issue.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

The bolded seems like an exaggeration. More like 'let's not risk putting our franchise QB behind a work in progress OL against one of the most aggressive defenses in the league on a sloppy field in a meaningless game.' 

Not that they thought there was a good change of him getting hurt. Just that, whatever the risk there was, they wanted to eliminate it entirely, given the circumstances. Luck took a couple of cringe-worthy hits in the Bears preseason game last year; no one liked watching that.

IMO, it's not a big deal at all. It's not uncommon for veteran players to sit out preseason games in less than ideal conditions. 

The offense obviously needs Luck out there, and he definitely needs to get some work in. But I'm not concerned with him missing out on a series or two in one preseason game. To me, it's a non issue.

Fair point.....

I didn't mean to overstate the issue....   but your wording is much better and I don't disagree.

My only other thought was how unnatural it was for Irsay to tweet out the reason and be so public about it.   That not only * off Ryan,   it caught the eye of media watchers,  most of whom scolded Irsay and basically said....

"Why don't you just be an owner and not say much.    Better to write checks and be seen but not heard."

A polite way of saying Shut Up and sit in your owners box and don't stir things up.....

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fair point.....

I didn't mean to overstate the issue....   but your wording is much better and I don't disagree.

My only other thought was how unnatural it was for Irsay to tweet out the reason and be so public about it.   That not only * off Ryan,   it caught the eye of media watchers,  most of whom scolded Irsay and basically said....

"Why don't you just be an owner and not say much.    Better to write checks and be seen but not heard."

A polite way of saying Shut Up and sit in your owners box and don't stir things up.....

That's pretty much the response anytime Irsay says anything. People love to jump on his case when he speaks out, which I dislike and think is unfair. End of the day, it is he who writes the checks, so he can say what he wants. And whenever Pagano or Grigson is asked about the things Irsay says, they pretty much say 'he writes the checks, he can say what he wants.' 

I get that he's not always politically correct, but I think anymore everyone is too sensitive about stuff. If Rex felt slighted, then I respect that. But I think the media is taking umbrage on his behalf, and then doubling it because it's Irsay. I think Irsay's comment was meant to be lighthearted and tongue-in-cheek, and it's too bad that it couldn't be taken that way.

Whether it was tongue-in-cheek or not, I have no problem with the Colts holding Luck out because they felt the conditions were less than ideal. To be honest, it doesn't even matter to me what the conditions were that they didn't like, whether it was Rex's aggressiveness, the weather, the OL, etc., or all of the above. Their decision was about protecting their franchise player, and that's hard to argue with, IMO. They're also not the only team that decided not to play their starting QB this week.

Last year first game of preseason  Andrew Luck had 6 attempts for 5 completions for a total of 43 yards .

This year on a wet & windy night he had 0 ,,

So because Irsay tweeted & Pagano made the call the media makes a big deal outta of nothing it was & is just an opportunity for haters to make a big deal out of nothing its hardly news worthy or thread worthy , 

Who actually thought it would be a good idea to start the franchise QB ? & if he did start who really believed he would do more than last year ?  Not Me & I find it funny ESPN has trolled Irsay because he gave his opinion he is the # 1 fan & like us he has the right to his opinion but its not news worthy whatsoever .

6 hours ago, Superman said:

That's pretty much the response anytime Irsay says anything. People love to jump on his case when he speaks out, which I dislike and think is unfair. End of the day, it is he who writes the checks, so he can say what he wants. And whenever Pagano or Grigson is asked about the things Irsay says, they pretty much say 'he writes the checks, he can say what he wants.' 

I get that he's not always politically correct, but I think anymore everyone is too sensitive about stuff. If Rex felt slighted, then I respect that. But I think the media is taking umbrage on his behalf, and then doubling it because it's Irsay. I think Irsay's comment was meant to be lighthearted and tongue-in-cheek, and it's too bad that it couldn't be taken that way.

Whether it was tongue-in-cheek or not, I have no problem with the Colts holding Luck out because they felt the conditions were less than ideal. To be honest, it doesn't even matter to me what the conditions were that they didn't like, whether it was Rex's aggressiveness, the weather, the OL, etc., or all of the above. Their decision was about protecting their franchise player, and that's hard to argue with, IMO. They're also not the only team that decided not to play their starting QB this week.

Great Post. A lot of people like to bash on Irsay, call him a pill head, a bad owner that makes dumb decisions, etc. but yet it's funny how our franchise has the 2nd most overall wins (Regular Season + Playoffs) out of all the teams in the league since the 1999 Season. Only the Patriots have more wins. We also have won a SB and been to 2 SB's and have been to 4 AFC Title games in that time frame from 1999-2015. So it looks like to me Irsay knows what he is doing. If the dude wants to goof around on Twitter , I say who cares!

On August 14, 2016 at 8:53 AM, CamMo said:

Yeah. I don't get the big deal. Irsay didn't say anything offensive, he just insinuated that Rex always coaches like he wants to win (even in preseason). And like someone already said, our Oline wasn't ready to handle the pressure. No shame in holding Andrew out of this game. Was actually the wiser decision, looking back on the game.

Bingo. When I heard all the manufactured heat over what Jim said, I was like where exactly did he cross a line here? 

Exactly CMO. Jim didn't feel the need to put Luck's health at risk over a pointless game that means absolutely nothing. Besides, no need to let Rex's defense treat Chewbacca like a crash test dummy as his lacerated kidney fully recovers anyway. 

I remember Jim Harbaugh not talking to Sean Payton before a 49ers-Saints pre-season game and not doing the "gentlemen's agreement". So Sean Payton blitzed. Gregg Williams did not hold back, blitzed the very first play vs Alex Smith then. Either Sean Payton or Harbaugh was livid from what I recall. Harbaugh and the 49ers did have the last laugh with a divisional playoff win over the Saints in a close one all said and done.

It happens, when you have aggressive DCs. So, this was the right move with a fledgling O-line that had not been given enough time for its feet to get wet together cohesively. Now that the jitters for the OL are out of the way, Luck (and the coaches) can step in / call plays knowing what to expect out of their own OL. Plus, John Harbaugh of the Ravens is not pulling any punches on his old friend Chuck. :)

17 hours ago, King Colt said:

Irsay might concern himself with how the Patriots will play defense now that Brady is out four games. If you want to sit Luck I would sit him for the Pats game. ;)

The Colts don't play the Pats this year, so problem solved.

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

I remember Jim Harbaugh not talking to Sean Payton before a 49ers-Saints pre-season game and not doing the "gentlemen's agreement". So Sean Payton blitzed. Gregg Williams did not hold back, blitzed the very first play vs Alex Smith then. Either Sean Payton or Harbaugh was livid from what I recall. Harbaugh and the 49ers did have the last laugh with a divisional playoff win over the Saints in a close one all said and done.

It happens, when you have aggressive DCs. So, this was the right move with a fledgling O-line that had not been given enough time for its feet to get wet together cohesively. Now that the jitters for the OL are out of the way, Luck (and the coaches) can step in / call plays knowing what to expect out of their own OL. Plus, John Harbaugh of the Ravens is not pulling any punches on his old friend Chuck. :)

Huh?       What am I missing here?

What's going on between Pagano and John Harbaugh?    

Feels like I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle..........?

Sorry,  please explain.....    Thanks....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?       What am I missing here?

What's going on between Pagano and John Harbaugh?    

Feels like I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle..........?

Sorry,  please explain.....    Thanks....

I think he means John and Chuck are friends, and that he doesn't expect John to do anything to intentionally hurt any of our players... :dunno:    I could be wrong, but that's how I took it.

13 hours ago, Gramz said:

I think he means John and Chuck are friends, and that he doesn't expect John to do anything to intentionally hurt any of our players... :dunno:    I could be wrong, but that's how I took it.

Gramz got it :thmup:, that is exactly what I meant.