Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says Rex Ryan the reason Luck didn't Play....

NewColtsFan

So.....    two hours before the game,  Irsay tweeted out that Luck would not play and that the reason was that Ryan's team plays too hard in the pre-season so the Colts didn't want to expose Luck to injury.

Ryan is not happy.      Calls Chuck Pagano a very good friend of his that he respects....    but he doesn't respect others.....  (read:  Irsay)     And that he says check the tape and you'll see that the Bills don't blitz much in the pre-season.

Anyway.....     I haven't seen this story posted anywhere.     Apologies if it and I somehow missed it.     So, here it is now for you to read.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17297399/buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-takes-exception-indianapolis-colts-owner-jim-irsay-tweet-sitting-andrew-luck-preseason-game

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So.....    two hours before the game,  Irsay tweeted out that Luck would not play and that the reason was that Ryan's team plays too hard in the pre-season so the Colts didn't want to expose Luck to injury.

Ryan is not happy.      Calls Chuck Pagano a very good friend of his that he respects....    but he doesn't respect others.....  (read:  Irsay)     And that he says check the tape and you'll see that the Bills don't blitz much in the pre-season.

Anyway.....     I haven't seen this story posted anywhere.     Apologies if it and I somehow missed it.     So, here it is now for you to read.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17297399/buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-takes-exception-indianapolis-colts-owner-jim-irsay-tweet-sitting-andrew-luck-preseason-game

Rex Ryan doesn't blitz much in the post season, bullcrap. They were doing blitzes dang near every play. Heck, they did that double a gap blitz so many times last night, even I seen it was coming

14 minutes ago, Everyone said:

Is there a tweet that I missed because I didn't see anything as a knock towards Rex.  He said he doesn't know the word preseason,  I took that as Rex always wants to win and coach hard, what's the big deal?

I don't get it either. Pagano and/or Irsay wouldn't want to take a risk with Luck against a play hard Rex. I would do the same when we haven't seen the new O-line in action yet (then). Good call, apparently too.

Yeah. I don't get the big deal. Irsay didn't say anything offensive, he just insinuated that Rex always coaches like he wants to win (even in preseason). And like someone already said, our Oline wasn't ready to handle the pressure. No shame in holding Andrew out of this game. Was actually the wiser decision, looking back on the game.

Like I said last night I think the Colts remembered the beating Luck took in the pre-season and then what the Bills did to him to start the season and figured why expose him to that for nothing?

As far as Rex I don't get why he's mad it's the Colts saying hey these guys are good at defense and we don't want our QB getting hurt.  Still in 24 hours this will be forgotten.

26 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Like I said last night I think the Colts remembered the beating Luck took in the pre-season and then what the Bills did to him to start the season and figured why expose him to that for nothing?

As far as Rex I don't get why he's mad it's the Colts saying hey these guys are good at defense and we don't want our QB getting hurt.  Still in 24 hours this will be forgotten.

You have to keep in mind that Rex whines about anything and everything. He is a drama queen and always has been. He played the media like fiddles when he was with the Jets and is trying to do the same thing in Buffalo

37 minutes ago, Everyone said:

Jim Trotter on ESPN saying that Irsay must have been "on something" was far worse than anything Irsay said IMO.

Especially when he flat out says at the end facts are facts, his uninformed guess that Irsay was on something is anything but a fact.  With that said we are giving him exactly what he wanted by saying this.  Attention.  The best way to make people who say stupid things in the media go away is to ignore them.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Especially when he flat out says at the end facts are facts, his uninformed guess that Irsay was on something is anything but a fact.  With that said we are giving him exactly what he wanted by saying this.  Attention.  The best way to make people who say stupid things in the media go away is to ignore them.

Agreed,  My initial tweet was to Holder because he said he agreed with everything that they said in the segment. I didn't expect Trotter to respond, I always @ who I'm talking about so It's not done behind their backs per se.

ESPN and all the rest of the media are no better than any rag mag or National Inquirer. When they don't have a story or article that will get them hits they just make crap up. I don't watch much if any of their slanted one sided horse dung. Irsay was just protecting his franchise QB and I don't blame him at all. To point a finger and say Irsay was on something is just looking for a reaction. I think it would be funny if Irsay called him out for his B.S.

Just the next Colts/Irsay bashing opportunity in a long line of digs. Journalism is a by-gone notion for the most part. Bloggers and Hacks are lifted up for their drivel, that's not meant to truly inform, it's all about hits. Sad really. But it is what it is. All I know is, I have full faith in Jim Irsay that he always has been "Team First", and he loves that we are Colts Nation and is in tune with us. Wouldn't trade the Irsay family for anyone else!

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Rex isn't exactly known for his common sense...

ESPN is going to start taking this direction more and more. More personal trashing, more sensationalism. NBC and FOX have created their networks and ESPN is feeling the heat. The Skip Bayless gimmick has been the most successful thing ESPN has had in some time. All he has to do is be outrageous and say over the top things, and people run right to facebook or twitter and share it, their friends read it, and they share it, and the fix is in. The digital world we live in has become a 14 headed monster that we can't control and really cannot even attempt, or hope to control. Every share is a good share no matter what light it's cast in, because the end result is getting people's eyes on the product, and it is doing just that. The only way to combat it is to simply ignore it. One less set of eyeballs is another penny in the jar.

It's incredibly strange to see the real world employing the tactics long used in professional wrestling. Mick Foley said it about 15 years ago, and it has just become more true as time goes on: The real world is faker than professional wrestling.

I'd say these comments resonate with me as I very rarely view anything on ESPN and I use the mute button, more often than not, when I do. Same goes with pregame or postgame commentary. 

Irsay, of course is right. First, it's a practice game and the first one of a new season. His team changed O-line systems, coaching staff and personnel. Everyone with even the most modest knowledge of the game knows the group will likely struggle against an advanced blitzing concept, it's common sense. It's clearly reckless and pointless to place your franchise payer behind them in those circumstances.

Second, the Bills opened the game with multiple advanced blitzes, exactly as anticipated, and the O-line scored poorly against any number of them.

The film shows the Irsay decision was 100% correct, spot on, right in every way... end of real story.

The fact that an ESPN twitter * pumped factually inaccurate click bait out his digital bung hole surprises me not in the least...

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

I'd say these comments resonate with me as I very rarely view anything on ESPN and I use the mute button, more often than not, when I do. Same goes with pregame or postgame commentary. 

Irsay, of course is right. First, it's a practice game and the first one of a new season. His team changed O-line systems, coaching staff and personnel. Everyone with even the most modest knowledge of the game knows the group will likely struggle against an advanced blitzing concept, it's common sense. It's clearly reckless and pointless to place your franchise payer behind them in those circumstances.

Second, the Bills opened the game with multiple advanced blitzes, exactly as anticipated, and the O-line scored poorly against any number of them.

The film shows the Irsay decision was 100% correct, spot on, right in every way... end of real story.

The fact that an ESPN twitter * pumped factually inaccurate click bait out his digital bung hole surprises me not in the least...

Exactly  ^^this^^. No more really needs to be said because D covered it.

I was wondering why Luck wasn't playing last night. I'm glad though no need to have starters injured in a meaningless game in the grand scheme of things.

However it was an interesting preseason game for once and the Colts won.

It's not a fact but my guess is I think Irsay and Pagano weren't playing Luck regardless of who they played. Irsay just goofs around on Twitter a lot as we all know. ESPN as usual is blowing something way out of proportion that isn't even a big deal. Why play him in a first game of the Pre-Season? Protect your investment at all costs, he was injured badly last season with several injuries from his shoulder, ribs, to a lacerated Kidney. I quit Posting over at ESPN roughly 3 years ago as that Site was turning into TMZ then and they went to Facebook on top of it.

10 hours ago, Everyone said:

Is there a tweet that I missed because I didn't see anything as a knock towards Rex.  He said he doesn't know the word preseason,  I took that as Rex always wants to win and coach hard, what's the big deal?

It may or may not be a big deal.

But the Colts thought it was best not to play their starting QB. 

That doesn't seem like a big deal to you?       

17 hours ago, Jules said:

The Colts know the o line isn't close to being ready.....

And it better be soon or else it will be a long season.

That and defense. When I look at this team, I have no idea how they really expect to do anything with that defense. The offense is bound to struggle, that's a given, but I don't see how they expect to stop anyone either. 

2 minutes ago, Bogie said:

That and defense. When I look at this team, I have no idea how they really expect to do anything with that defense. 

We plan on controlling the tempo with our power run game and staunch o line to give the defense a break more often.

I am being a bit sarcastic obviously......

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It may or may not be a big deal.

But the Colts thought it was best not to play their starting QB. 

That doesn't seem like a big deal to you?       

No it's not a big deal to me that the starting QB didn't play in a meaningless week 1(not including HoF game) preseason game.

6 hours ago, Douzer said:

:thmup:  My sentiments exactly.

8 minutes ago, Everyone said:

No it's not a big deal to me that the starting QB didn't play in a meaningless week 1(not including HoF game) preseason game.

But he was going to play vs. Green Bay wasn't he?

Then again Green Bay is all offense anyway so who the hell cares I know Jules.......

11 minutes ago, Jules said:

But he was going to play vs. Green Bay wasn't he?

Then again Green Bay is all offense anyway so who the hell cares I know Jules.......

That's true, My only argument is that the weather was expected to be poor and Rex does in fact blitz a ton even in preseason.  So I don't think it was wrong to sit Luck given the circumstances with an untested O-line.  

23 minutes ago, Everyone said:

It's not that he didn't play.

It's that he didn't play because the Colts thought he'd have a good chance of getting hurt by Buffalo's defense and then went PUBLIC with the reason. 

Does THAT seem like a big deal to you?

6 hours ago, Douzer said:

I'm sorry, but WHAT was the factually inaccurate click bait information?     I missed that......

Just now, Everyone said:

That's true, My only argument is that the weather was expected to be poor and Rex does in fact blitz a ton even in preseason.  So I don't think it was wrong to sit Luck given the circumstances with an untested O-line.  

I don't think the fact that Luck didn't play vs. the Bills alone is what is the problem here too since a lot of QBs sit out preseason at times, it is the fact that Luck was going to play a week earlier vs. Green Bay. So in a way it does make us look fearful of the Bills who are competition in the AFC and in a way I kinda wish this didn't develop like this.

So Irsay has hauntings mentally of Luck vs. the Bills......but in a way I kinda wish this was left secret.

But, it is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's that he didn't play because the Colts thought he'd have a good chance of getting hurt by Buffalo's defense and then went PUBLIC with the reason. 

Sorry, answers still nope.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who cares...that Ryan is not happy..??   Not me. haha

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Um, no