Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who should be the #2 Receiver?

DarkHorse

19 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Phillip Dorsett who was the first round pick or Donte Moncrief who has shown signs of brilliance. I like them both that's hard to say I don't want to see a first-round pick run out of slot

In my personal opinion it seems stupid to not let Moncrief keep the #2 role. Dorsett has the speed and elusiveness to thrive in the slot while Moncrief is more adept at one-on-one coverage. As well as Donte played last year he deserves the #2 spot!

2 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I hate to beat a dead horse and even if Dorsett has a solid year. He wasnt worth a first round draft pick. He is what he is, hes more suited for the slot. TY and Moncrief are one and two i don't think that will change. 

Still too early to declare that as fact IMO....Injuries to Dorsett, and all 900 QB's we had to run out probably slowed his development just a bit..... not to mention 2 different OC's.....

3 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I hate to beat a dead horse and even if Dorsett has a solid year. He wasnt worth a first round draft pick. He is what he is, hes more suited for the slot. TY and Moncrief are one and two i don't think that will change. 

:sigh:.  Figured all that out in the limited action he was involved in did you? 

3 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Why is Hilton ok on the outside but Dorsett is more suited for the slot?

Phillip Dorsett who was the first round pick or Donte Moncrief who has shown signs of brilliance. I like them both that's hard to say I don't want to see a first-round pick run out of slot

I'm still holding out for Roy Hall.

Hilton

Moncrief

Dorsett

?????

Bray

Hopefully Demarcus Robinson goes undrafted and we pick him up. I've read articles saying he probably will at least be a 6th-7th rounder. He'd obviously be a great addition.

2 hours ago, USAFHoosier said:

Moncrief has proven himself 

i wouldnt call a single 700 yard season proving himself.  he looks like he could be a decent number 2, but its going a bit far to say dorsett has no chance of passing him

Until Dorsett sets himself above what Moncrief has done then you stick with the guy that was your #2 last year.  

Moncrief. . . . 

The distinction I don't think is all that important though.  While there is a significant difference in playing time between the #2 guy and the #3 guy, the #3 guy still gets quite a bit of playing time.  

The biggest difference is between the #3 guy and the #4 guy.  

These days your #3 receiver is basically a starter in many respects.  If no receivers get hurt then no one really worries about how good their #4 receiver is.  It's just not that big of a deal (again assuming no injuries).  That's not true with the #3 receiver.  

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i wouldnt call a single 700 yard season proving himself.  he looks like he could be a decent number 2, but its going a bit far to say dorsett has no chance of passing him

When did I say Dorsett has no chance of passing him?  

4 hours ago, Archer said:

Don't think it matters.  I expect a lot of 3-WR sets this year that will include Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett.  All will get their reps...

Exactly. Hopefully Luck can find the best receiver depending on what the defense shows. That is what made Manning so good was finding the best receiver from week to week. If all the receivers do their job and Luck gets some time to go through his progressions there is no reason the Colts cant be a top tier offense.

Moncrief should really break out this year. With him entering his 3rd year and Luck being healthy. I expect Moncrief make a name for himself around the league, and establish himself as a number 1 type receiver. Also Dorsett. I expect him to have a breakout season too. I think we could have the best receiving corps in the NFL this year and for a while. We just need a solid, reliable number 4 for depth. But yeah. Expect tons of 3 receiver sets this year.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Some people still think every receiver 5'10 and under are natural slot receivers and should be slot receivers.

Exactly like Antonio brown isn't the best Wr out right now and he's not even tall himself 

What about keeping the tradition going and signing one of Roddy White or Marques Colston for the number 4 WR? I mean. IMO either of those guys would be better than AJ was wouldn't you all think so? At the right price one of those 2 would be the perfect 4th receiver. Not to mention Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett would have another veteran to learn from.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

What about keeping the tradition going and signing one of Roddy White or Marques Colston for the number 4 WR? I mean. IMO either of those guys would be better than AJ was wouldn't you all think so? At the right price one of those 2 would be the perfect 4th receiver. Not to mention Hilton, Moncrief, and would have another veteran to learn from.

Have you seen either one of them play over the last two seasons? Just shells of themselves from what they once were. IMO the Colts signing other teams has beens needs to be over after what we seen with Johnson last season. I think there will be a few receivers who hit the market before the start of the season. As far as a veteran to learn from, that is what Hilton is at this point.

11 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

What about keeping the tradition going and signing one of Roddy White or Marques Colston for the number 4 WR? I mean. IMO either of those guys would be better than AJ was wouldn't you all think so? At the right price one of those 2 would be the perfect 4th receiver. Not to mention Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett would have another veteran to learn from.

Roddy White has no business being on a professional football team anymore. Marques Colston isn't much better. If you can't produce as a WR in New Orleans offense you're in the wrong profession.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Have you seen either one of them play over the last two seasons? Just shells of themselves from what they once were. IMO the Colts signing other teams has beens needs to be over after what we seen with Johnson last season. I think there will be a few receivers who hit the market before the start of the season. As far as a veteran to learn from, that is what Hilton is at this point.

LOL yeah White isn't the same guy he was a few years ago, but I think Colston would be a decent pickup actually. If we're talking about "Can he give us a little more than Dre did" and I think he probably could. But actually though I'd either sign a younger guy or draft a guy in the 5th or so. Like I said earlier there's reports saying Demarcus Robinson will go undrafted. If so we should pick him up. That kid is a top 5 receiver in this class if he wasn't a knucklehead. But as an UDFA it wouldn't be any risk in picking him up. He'd most likely give us more as a 4th receiver than any free agent we could pick up.

Me personally I'm not worried about who gets what between the three starters. I just want to see us upgrade the talent of our back up players. Mainly I want a big body possesion and goal line type of guy with hands who can outmuscle DBs and win jump balls while still being fast enough to challenge for the deep vertical ball. I've taken a good liking to Jordan Payton out of UCLA. I think he runs great routes and uses his body really well. He's been compared to Anquan Boldin by Jim Mora and that's accurate to me. Like Boldin he doesn't seem that fast on tape but he's actually must faster at 4.47 which is what he ran at the combine. Another guy I think Grigson could show interest in is Listenbee from TCU due to the speed although he needs a lot of work on his routes and the body catching. Not real good at leveraging and walling off defenders. He reminds me of Moncrief in some ways coming out of college.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

Me personally I'm not worried about who gets what between the three starters. I just want to see us upgrade the talent of our back up players. Mainly I want a big body possesion and goal line type of guy with hands who can outmuscle DBs and win jump balls while still being fast enough to challenge for the deep vertical ball. I've taken a good liking to Jordan Payton out of UCLA. I think he runs great routes and uses his body really well. He's been compared to Anquan Boldin by Jim Mora and that's accurate to me. Like Boldin he doesn't seem that fast on tape but he's actually must faster at 4.47 which is what he ran at the combine. Another guy I think Grigson could show interest in is Listenbee from TCU due to the speed although he needs a lot of work on his routes and the body catching. Not real good at leveraging and walling off defenders. He reminds me of Moncrief in some ways coming out of college.

I think you are really describing is a tight end in what you want. At this point right now 6 out of the top 10 wide receivers are under 6 foot tall.

19 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

:sigh:.  Figured all that out in the limited action he was involved in did you? 

After watching him in college i kind of figured he was a very good player but not worth a first rd draft pick IMO only granted.

He wasn't a good route runner and had huge questions about his durability at the next level. He had knee problems in high school and in college even if it was just a minor MCL tear. 

I think if Dorsett can with stand the punishment in the NFL and stay healthy he will be a solid #3 even possibly a #2 receiver and maybe a decent return man in the league which is not a good thing for a first rd pick. 

I do like Dorsett, he's a very good athlete obviously and he has decent hands. I hope he has a break out second year because the Colts really need him to be worthy of his investment! 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you are really describing is a tight end in what you want. At this point right now 6 out of the top 10 wide receivers are under 6 foot tall.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about an Anquan Boldin type player to be our 4th receiver. I'm not talking about any tight ends.

21 hours ago, USAFHoosier said:

When did I say Dorsett has no chance of passing him?  

you didnt, but i wouldnt even pencil moncrief in at number 2.  let camp sort it out and give dorsett a legit chance to pass him on the depth chart