Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trevathan contract sets some baseline for Jerrell Freeman

chad72

With Danny Trevathan signing with the Bears for close to $7 mil. per year for 4 years, I feel Freeman would end up close to the $24 mil. for 4 year range.

Freeman is still in the prime of his career and has just 1 chance to cash in on his NFL prime. He has played as well as he possibly could for us the last 4 years, especially the recent year, for what he was paid. Very good find by Grigson that I feel we should retain.

I remember those Polian years when he did not value LBs and let guys like Peterson, Thornton go only to see them play well for our division rivals. Yeah, we still won on the heels of our offense more often than not but retaining some of them could have helped our front 7 in the long run.

Thoughts???

I don't have as high of an opinion on him as other people seem to, so I wouldn't want to pay 6m/yr. Also, I don't really get why everyone always lists Sio Moore as one of our ILBs but not Nate Irving, who was is a pretty solid player. 

12 minutes ago, MTC said:

TRADABLE comp. pick 

:thmup:

Heard that thrown and a lot in recent days how many can we rack up next year . Could it be a plan to load up on picks next year and build a defense or O line .

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

With Danny Trevathan signing with the Bears for close to $7 mil. per year for 4 years, I feel Freeman would end up close to the $24 mil. for 4 year range.

Freeman is still in the prime of his career and has just 1 chance to cash in on his NFL prime. He has played as well as he possibly could for us the last 4 years, especially the recent year, for what he was paid. Very good find by Grigson that I feel we should retain.

I remember those Polian years when he did not value LBs and let guys like Peterson, Thornton go only to see them play well for our division rivals. Yeah, we still won on the heels of our offense more often than not but retaining some of them could have helped our front 7 in the long run.

Thoughts???

The difference between Trevathan and Freeman I think is much bigger than you're making it out to be.

For one thing,   Trev is 26....    Freeman is about to turn 30.     Those four years are huge in determining what you're willing to pay.      And I think it's much more than just an additional $1 Mill.

Put another way,  if we pay Freeman 4/24,   then I think we've overpaid.     I don't think that's his market.

And if it,  I'm fine letting him go elsewhere for that kind of money.      I don't like bad contracts.

I think Jerrell is closer to 4/20,  maybe even less.

I don't know how I feel about giving Freeman a 4/24. How many of those years will he live up to the contract? 2? Maybe 3? At what point does his play decline? These are all questions the front office needs to answer, and probably should have the answers to already, before giving him his pay day

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The difference between Trevathan and Freeman I think is much bigger than you're making it out to be.

For one thing,   Trev is 26....    Freeman is about to turn 30.     Those four years are huge in determining what you're willing to pay.      And I think it's much more than just an additional $1 Mill.

Put another way,  if we pay Freeman 4/24,   then I think we've overpaid.     I don't think that's his market.

And if it,  I'm fine letting him go elsewhere for that kind of money.      I don't like bad contracts.

I think Jerrell is closer to 4/20,  maybe even less.

4/20 sounds about right, given his age.

Not excited about paying him that kind of money. Kind of thought that was the reason we gave our 6th for Sio Moore or signed Irving, to let Freeman walk after last season. Rather see us spend the $$ elsewhere. See if Moore, Irving , Herrera can claim the spot.

We have to get something from all of these draft picks we have wasted- 1st for Werner, 1st for Richardson, 7th for Winn (who we are apparently not re-signing) and a 6th for Moore. Can't build squat trading away and wasting picks.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Thoughts???

Freeman stank early in this last season.
 Had a good 8 games or so.
 His legs are certainly Past Prime so ya... so i could see Grigson giving him a big check for 2 years.

I'm surprised with the 7mil annually mark, I thought he'd get more. I wouldn't mind Freeman at 7 mil annually on a shorter deal than 4 years, I'd be willing to give him more guaranteed instead. Something like:

Trevathan: 4/28 (G'd money tbd)

Freeman: 2 or 3/14 or 21 M (Higher g'd %)

I would like to see Freeman get signed, if we over pay for him look at it this way, he has over played his contract since he has been here by a large margin.  so i have no problem if we over pay one mill. or so per year.  When he is not in the line up for us on defense you can see our defense is not the same.

15 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

I'm surprised with the 7mil annually mark, I thought he'd get more. I wouldn't mind Freeman at 7 mil annually on a shorter deal than 4 years, I'd be willing to give him more guaranteed instead. Something like:

Trevathan: 4/28 (G'd money tbd)

Freeman: 2 or 3/14 or 21 M (Higher g'd %)

$7M/yr for Trevathan is a great deal. 

This is interesting.........

Freeman stats: 

SEASON TEAM GP COMB TOTAL AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYDS KB
2012 16 145 90 55 2.0 1 0 0 1 4 4 4 1 2 6 20 0
2013 16 126 83 43 5.5 6 2 24 2 13 7 13 0 6 5 16 0
2014 12 94 57 37 1.5 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 4 9 0
2015 13 112 66 46 3.0 0 1 0 1 23 23 23 1 2 2 9 0
Career 57 477 296 181 12.0 8 3 0 4 40 10 23 2 16 17 54 0

Trevathan stats: 

SEASON TEAM GP COMB TOTAL AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYDS KB
2012 16 33 22 11 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 1 0
2013 16 129 88 41 2.0 4 1 0 3 29 10 29 0 10 7 25 0
2014 3 11 9 2 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2015 15 109 73 36 0.0 0 0 0 2 39 20 25 1 6 3 7 0
Career 50 282 192 90 3.0 4 1 0 5 68 14 29 1 19 11 33 0

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

$7M/yr for Trevathan is a great deal. 

This is interesting.........

Freeman stats: 

2012 16 145 90 55 2.0 1 0 0 1 4 4 4 1 2 6 20 0
2013 16 126 83 43 5.5 6 2 24 2 13 7 13 0 6 5 16 0
2014 12 94 57 37 1.5 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 4 9 0
2015 13 112 66 46 3.0 0 1 0 1 23 23 23 1 2 2 9 0
Career 57 477 296 181 12.0 8 3 0 4 40 10 23 2 16 17 54 0

Trevathan stats: 

2012 16 33 22 11 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 1 0
2013 16 129 88 41 2.0 4 1 0 3 29 10 29 0 10 7 25 0
2014 3 11 9 2 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2015 15 109 73 36 0.0 0 0 0 2 39 20 25 1 6 3 7 0
Career 50 282 192 90 3.0 4 1 0 5 68 14 29 1 19 11 33 0

If you look at things objectively, Freeman did not have the same quality of DL or pass rush to take the focus off the LBs. Trevathan did. So, when the focus is not on you as much, there will be fewer plays to assess you based on and it is easier to come out on top as a percentage of those plays. Ask Ray Lewis and how Ngata revived his career. I do think Freeman deserves at least $20 mil. over 4 years.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

If you look at things objectively, Freeman did not have the same quality of DL or pass rush to take the focus off the LBs. Trevathan did. So, when the focus is not on you as much, there will be fewer plays to assess you based on and it is easier to come out on top as a percentage of those plays. Ask Ray Lewis and how Ngata revived his career. I do think Freeman deserves at least $20 mil. over 4 years.

If he signs for $5M/yr I'd be just fine with that. 

I'm slightly surprised Freeman is still on the market. I figured a team would snap him up for between 6 and 7 million per year on day 1. 

Freeman isn't terrible, but he's not great, either. He racks up a lot of tackles because our defense is below average and can't get off the field. His pass coverage is suspect more often than not, and there are plenty of times where he over pursues, uses a bad angle, or just flat out misses a guy. 

I'm curious as to what we've offered him. Now that the bloody feeding frenzy has ended I don't see him getting anything north of 6 million. I'd say we have an offer in to him between 5 and 5.5 million. I fully agree with the sentiment that the longer the wait goes, the more likely it is he returns. 

22 hours ago, chad72 said:

Thoughts???

Issue 1: he's 30.  So saying he's in his prime is stretching it.  He's in the Twilight :-)

Issue 2: he isn't worth anything over 3 million a year and I'd rather spend elsewhere

Issue 3: Polian let them go rightfully so.  My issue with Polian has always been overpaying Brackett  (overpay is an understatement) and not prioritizing the MLB spot via draft/FA.  He was content with Brackett but Brackett was barely average. 

On 3/9/2016 at 2:28 PM, chad72 said:

Thoughts???

Trevathan is much better than Freeman - wish we could have gotten him.  He is a monster.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is probably because he is asking for too much.

That's exactly what I'm saying. He wants premier ILB money and he's not that. Probably wants like $8 million per, and D'Qwell doesn't even make that. Not saying he should but he's better than Freeman.

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. He wants premier ILB money and he's not that. Probably wants like $8 million per, and D'Qwell doesn't even make that. Not saying he should but he's better than Freeman.

The problem then ends up like Jake Scott. You get the same amount offered by someone else, you feel somehow inclined to accept it from someone else than your former team because of pride.