Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Manning retiring on Monday (Merge)

RockThatBlue

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until I hear it from a reliable source then I don't believe it(And freakin Woody Paige is not a reliable source :funny:), The Broncos themselves have came out nd said they have not heard anything yet. Does that mean I think he will return one more year? No, Not after winning the SB and with his physical ability being what it Is now to play the game.

But one of the last people to get confirmation from would be Paige

Well Woody is a UT alum like Peyton and given the bad news UT has gotten these past couple of weeks I could see them doing a solid and having it leak then denying it publically and then later in the week Peyton does confirm.

Its basically to get the bad news of UT out of the news cycle and it has seeing as how the media is incredibly fickle.

25 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Until I hear it from a reliable source then I don't believe it(And freakin Woody Paige is not a reliable source :funny:), The Broncos themselves have came out nd said they have not heard anything yet. Does that mean I think he will return one more year? No, Not after winning the SB and with his physical ability being what it Is now to play the game.

But one of the last people to get confirmation from would be Paige

Why in the world wouldn't you believe it?

Don't you think the odds are overwhelming that Peyton retires?

What chance do you give that Peyton wants to come back one more year?

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Hopefully fewer of those Papa John's commercials.  Crappy pizza.

I think Peyton knew this season was it regardless of how it ended. Hence why you saw JJ Watt in the PJ's commercials he'll be taking Peyton's spot next season. If you also believe rumors he's going to sell all his PJ's so he can by a stake of the Titans.

Benjamin Allbright tweeted a few days ago than PM and LA have spoken. I think Peyton is keeping his options open. In his own system and with a decent OL he can still play well. He may retire this week just so he doesn't go down as being cut after winning a SB. I'll believe he is retired only once the FA frenzy is over. 

And yet you think him coming back won't make him look worse? Think Favre here. I do think the Broncos release him though and then he retires from the NFL in general as neither a Colt or a Bronco.

Woody may seem like a dingbat but I doubt he'd do this if Manning didn't ask like I said I see this as a diversion from the bad press their alumnus is receiving. People are talking about this not UT.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

the Broncos themselves came out and said they have not heard yet(Though of course it is entirely possible Elway has and he is just not making it public, Obviously not everything is known to the public), I actually said it myself after the Broncos won the SB that he would retire and I'm 99% sure he will. I'm just not putting My faith into a Woody Paige report and article. Though he does claim to have 2 reliable sources

25 minutes ago, Gavin said:

the Broncos themselves came out and said they have not heard yet(Though of course it is entirely possible Elway has and he is just not making it public, Obviously not everything is known to the public), I actually said it myself after the Broncos won the SB that he would retire and I'm 99% sure it will. I'm just not putting My faith into a Woody Paige report and article. Though he does claim to have 2 reliable sources

I'm not a Woody Paige fan either......

But that doesn't mean he's wrong.      Odds are the sources are people connected to Peyton.   Not family.    But either friends or professional connections like a personal trainer or somebody like that....

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not a Woody Paige fan either......

But that doesn't mean he's wrong.      Odds are the sources are people connected to Peyton.   Not family.    But either friends or professional connections like a personal trainer or somebody like that....

actually are conflicting reports now ( personally I do hope he retires )

Top of article talks about Paige saying it - Woody Paige, citing two sources.

Bottom of article Update denies it

UPDATE

Mike Klis talked to sources close to the Manning camp and they are refuting Woody's claim, instead backing the idea that nothing has been decided.

Talked to source close to Manning. Source said PM will talk to team next week as scheduled but unlikely there will be news #9news #9sports

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/2/27/11127980/peyton-manning-retirement-broncos-nfl-2016

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro Football talk also denies it in their article

Despite a Denver Post report that Peyton Manning will announce his retirement in the coming week, we’re told that the Broncos have still not been apprised of Manning’s plans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/27/source-peyton-still-hasnt-told-broncos-his-plans/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paiges original article Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_29570921/paige-broncos-peyton-manning-will-ride-off-into

Basically the only agreement is sometime this week something will be announced

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

NCF..I think he actually wants to 100%..that would be like him.

I'd bet he wants to run his offense one more time...with a playoff team like Houston or a near playoff team like the Rams

Giving Kubiak all credit for Denvers title,...I think its obvious Peyton struggled in that system with that line.

But I think Manning does not want to move his family to a new place on a 1-year or 2-year contract...and his doctors are probably telling him his foot problems have not yet recovered and may linger

55 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Thanks 'B'..

Paige and Klis both have a lot of longtime Denver sources....

..what I'm not hearing are any recent rumors about LA or Houston...

50 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

NCF..I think he actually wants to 100%..that would be like him.

I'd bet he wants to run his offense one more time...with a playoff team like Houston or a near playoff team like the Rams

Giving Kubiak all credit for Denvers title,...I think its obvious Peyton struggled in that system with that line.

But I think Manning does not want to move his family to a new place on a 1-year or 2-year contract...and his doctors are probably telling him his foot problems have not yet recovered and may linger

Yes both Paige & Klis have sources, , Think Paige wrote hes bean writing about the Manning's starting with Archie so that plenty of time to get sources 

----------------------------------------------------------

"Peyton has not made a decision on his future," Patrick Smyth, Broncos vice president of public relations, tweeted Saturday. "Plan remains for him to continue talks with the team this week."

Archie Manning told NFL Media's Rhett Lewis on Saturday that his son "hasn't told me a thing" about retiring next week.

If Manning plans to play next season, he must undergo a team physical by Friday, Rapoport added.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000639608/article/report-peyton-manning-to-acknowledge-hes-retiring

Broncos refute retirement report: 'Peyton has not made a decision'

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

February 28, 2016 9:50 am ET 

++ as far as Rams , this  article just reiterates old news'

There remains a possibility Manning decides to play one more year with another team. TheLos Angeles Rams were reportedly doing their due diligence on the aging quarterback and debating his fit on the roster.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25498425/broncos-refute-manning-retirement-report-peyton-has-not-made-a-decision

( &  Mark Re 

I'd bet he wants to run his offense one more time  ,

last week I did read he may , and the article did say may ,. purely guessing , that he just may like 1 more try running the offense like he always has , but he has to weigh that possible chance if it actually  bears fruition Vs going out winning the Trophy in Cinderella fashion already even if an unusual season but great comeback involved in getting his job back and sparking all players to rise up as only he can,  even if he may not be able to himself, simply by his teammates Knowing he will make the right play calls thats best in terms of in game situations , clock management etc helping them do their part , also knowing that to run it his way 1 more time he would have to get in sync with all new players, get a 5th coaching staff and still the chance of further injury with no assurances of how season plays out

Article I had read last week said Peyton Being Peyton, being analytically minded  just like his game preparation will really evaluate all the outcomes and its just not his nature to simply say I retire even if its perfect time to us

Thats it for me today, unless announcement actually made

& this week its busy time again for me  but eager to hear and sure will comment then, hopefully a congratulation to a stellar career

--------------------

And what NFL team wants a 1 year rental at best(if he makes it that long)? A lot of teams that need QBs need a QB for long term. Manning at his age is not a long term solution for anyone. 

I know some say Rams to usher them in LA but that's not needed for one they have Todd Gurley and two they are so glad to have football again it really won't matter who the QB is as far as fame or lack thereof.

He may want to play another year doesn't mean he has a choice in the matter.

6 minutes ago, CF4L said:

And what NFL team wants a 1 year rental at best(if he makes it that long)? A lot of teams that need QBs need a QB for long term. Manning at his age is not a long term solution for anyone. 

I know some say Rams to usher them in LA but that's not needed for one they have Todd Gurley and two they are so glad to have football again it really won't matter who the QB is as far as fame or lack thereof.

If he wanted to play,   there are teams that would sign him.   I hope he retires though

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he wanted to play,   there are teams that would sign him.   I hope he retires though

If there are teams they aren't top teams though the only reason to come back is if he can defend the title. He won't be able to physically do that. 

Teams that need QBs are those that want a long term solution not someone who's there for a year just to add to his resume. 

4 hours ago, CF4L said:

Nobody would talk long term...The Rams draft a QB..sign Peyton for 2 years...he is a player/mentor..

Rams fans are NOT so glad to have football, they don't care who the QB is.

Rams weren't drawing well when they left...they need to make this go....

Word is they have already discussed Peyton...I just haven't heard anything lately and there is the matter of a physical exam Peyton would have to pass...

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Nobody would talk long term...The Rams draft a QB..sign Peyton for 2 years...he is a player/mentor..

Rams fans are NOT so glad to have football, they don't care who the QB is.

Rams weren't drawing well when they left...they need to make this go....

Word is they have already discussed Peyton...I just haven't heard anything lately and there is the matter of a physical exam Peyton would have to pass...

You mean what he was on the Broncos? He signed for 5 years and played 4 of them. 

I just don't see Rams fans wanting to see a 40 year old QB who's running on fumes even if it is Peyton Manning they went through this with Unitas and Namath they know it ends badly. Why would this be any different?

It would be easier for them to start with a new QB and build a following there. If LA needs Manning to make the Rams matter then they might as well have stayed in STL.

4 hours ago, 19colt said:

It is possible that the only distant chance of him playing again is if Brock chases the money elsewhere. Stretching out the retirement decision could be part of negotiations. 

This is more believable than him going to the Rams actually.

Nothing left to prove . Has neck issues and will need hip replacement surgery. I met Johnny U before he passed away, and he had a lot of physical issues from being battered in the old days. It's time to go, what a great career for Manning. It's all about a good quality of life  for the rest of your days,  versus being Willie Mays with the Mets. 

If Peyton retires, do the Broncos still own his rights for another year? How does that work if he decides to unretire and play for another team?

This is way out of left field (extremely hypothetical), I agree, but just wanted to know how it worked w.r.t contracts.

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Peyton retires, do the Broncos still own his rights for another year? How does that work if he decides to unretire and play for another team?

This is way out of left field (extremely hypothetical), I agree, but just wanted to know how it worked w.r.t contracts.

Yes,   if he retires before the Broncos cut him they still own his rights 

"In a perfect world he'd like to keep playing. Question is who gives him an opportunity." @AdamSchefter on Peyton http://es.pn/1RDFCiu 

The deadline for any decision from the Broncos is March 9 Friday , if not cut salary is quaranteed.  

interesting date to note Re Friday.  

, before any money is guaranteed, he must first pass a physical at least five days before the start of the league year. That date is March 9 and puts the five days at Friday.

Back to Friday: Would Denver fail Manning in the physical and then cut him afterwards? That would end the speculation and everyone could move on.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/1/11139702/report-in-a-perfect-world-peyton-manning-plays-in-2016

I think Kirk raised his own price not Brocks. The two were productive but one played significantly better then the other. I still think Osweiler gets paid cause based on those flashes, He would be picked up quick if allowed to walk but I don't think that happens. Mannings done physically or sputtering out fumes

7 minutes ago, Fx Stryker said:

I could see him taking a pay cut, and signing an extension with the Broncos.

He will have to be cut first, IMO. If he forces Elway's hand and be cut from the Broncos, he is not going back to the Broncos. A big reason why his value has further declined, in addition to his health, is the lack of efficiency in that Kubiak offense, IMO.

1 hour ago, 19colt said:

Did I see a stat today saying that Cousins has never beat a winning team? Brock beat Cincy and NE. Anyway, it is going to be an interesting week. 

yes i saw it too or something to that effect

1 hour ago, 19colt said:

Did I see a stat today saying that Cousins has never beat a winning team? Brock beat Cincy and NE. Anyway, it is going to be an interesting week. 

Do you trust him? This is easily the most fascinating quarterback subplot of the offseason (non-Peyton Manning category).

Cousins led the league in completion percentage (69.8), threw for more than 4,000 yards (4,166), threw 29 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions, won a divisional title, took the Redskins to the playoffs and .. 

. didn't beat a team with a winning record.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25500934/redskins-use-non-exclusive-franchise-tag-on-kirk-cousins-5-things-to-know

3 hours ago, bayone said:

"In a perfect world he'd like to keep playing. Question is who gives him an opportunity." @AdamSchefter on Peyton http://es.pn/1RDFCiu 

The deadline for any decision from the Broncos is March 9
( ERROR  Friday  is not the 9th ), if not cut salary is quaranteed.  

interesting date to note Re Friday .  

, before any money is guaranteed, he must first pass a physical at least five days before the start of the league year. That date is March 9 and puts the five days at Friday.

Back to Friday: Would Denver fail Manning in the physical and then cut him afterwards? That would end the speculation and everyone could move on.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/1/11139702/report-in-a-perfect-world-peyton-manning-plays-in-2016

ERROR  above  Broncos have till the 9th before Money is quaranteed, this Friday Peyton should have a physical this Friday and Broncos can say he failed cut him for that and avoid later decision - SEE ABOVE & LINK 

Now I get 

Peyton Manning's decision won't come this week

NFL Media's James Palmer reported Monday on NFL Network's Total Access that no decision is expected this week from Manning about his playing future. Palmer also reported, from a source close to the situation, that the decision will go right up to March 9th, the start of the new league year and when Manning is guaranteed his $19 million salary for 2016.

Manning is scheduled to speak with  Elway & Broncos  Kubiak sometime this week, Palmer reported

It's likely just a matter of the Broncos and their star quarterback hammering out the timing for a proper announcement to honor Manning. ( now that would be nice if true )

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640348/article/peyton-mannings-decision-wont-come-this-week

-------------------------------------------

COMPLICATING THINGS ARE DUE TO COUSINS SALARY

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Denver Broncos quarterback Brock Osweiler  expected to hit the free-agent market next week.

General Manager John Elway said this deal "won't be Osweiler's big deal", but could Osweiler be looking for that big deal? It's possible that he might after the Washington Redskins placed the Franchise Tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/1/11140910/report-quarterback-brock-osweiler-and-defensive-end-malik-jackson

Sounds like he's trying to make an informed decision and people are just impatient over someone making a life altering decision like this.  And they're real impatient because many want him to retire.  Nothing here is new.

That being said I have no doubt he wants to play doesn't mean he'll be able to or anyone wants him. 

I personally think he will retire and should only because he just doesn't have it anymore and if he can't make that decision someone else will but I don't begrudge him taking his time over something like this when its over.. Its over. 

I'm leaning towards him retiring I could see him only returning if this team is intact and the Broncos want him back for a repeat. But that's very unlikely.