Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Manning retiring on Monday (Merge)

RockThatBlue

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Oh he decided ages ago I don't think Woody Paige breaking it a week before was a coincidence he told him so that would take the UT lawsuit out of the news cycle. With the will he won't he retire. 

I'm also guessing Elway told him to hold off until they knew Brock would sign(and I'm guessing he will)

Kind of surprised he's retiring with Denver I figured it would be a mutual parting he'd retire shortly after.

Ages ago....??? haha  

I do believe he knew at the Super Bowl that he was done, but listened to and  took Tony Dungy's advice and waited a few weeks to make the decision final.    I don't think that qualifies as "ages ago".   

11 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Ages ago....??? haha  

I do believe he knew at the Super Bowl that he was done, but listened to and  took Tony Dungy's advice and waited a few weeks to make the decision final.    I don't think that qualifies as "ages ago".   

I was referring to before the postseason began when he said this could be his last rodeo. I think in the back of his mind he knew but he waited until the SB hoopla ended then this rehashing of a 20 year old "scandal" that people didn't care about the first time around probably delayed how he was going to go about it.

Woody was right but nobody believed him. He did wait till the end of this week to make his decision and we're hearing about it now.

13 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I was referring to before the postseason began when he said this could be his last rodeo. I think in the back of his mind he knew but he waited until the SB hoopla ended then this rehashing of a 20 year old "scandal" that people didn't care about the first time around probably delayed how he was going to go about it.

Woody was right but nobody believed him. He did wait till the end of this week to make his decision and we're hearing about it now.

The superbowl was only 4 weeks ago.   He didn't really wait that long to make a decision.  Favre waited longer all 3 times he retired

23 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Yeah,  it's was a very different season for him.   I think he would have preferred to honor his contract, but the writing was on the wall.  

I am glad Elway gave him this chance and that his teammates rallied around him.  So many of them said they wanted to win this "FOR HIM".

Also, to hear anyone and everyone that has ever played "with" him, or "against" him,  it is very obvious that he is well respected amongst his peers, and also anyone who has ever coached him, or coached the teams that faced him.  I'm not sure there's ever been, or will ever be anyone held in as high regard as Peyton.  There certainly will never be another 5 time League MVP.

As far as him retiring a Bronco,  I knew all along that would be the case, and said so many times.  He is, as of tomorrow, still under contract with them, so when he makes his retirement announcement, it will be as a Bronco.  That doesn't erase all that he did here as a Colt.  He will be remembered as both.

16 hours ago, CF4L said:

Yes that was three years ago. Favre had his best season at age 40  the following year? Fell off a cliff and never came back. 

Why do you think he's just suddenly going to get better. Yes the system was a part of it but he also is a shell of his former self. I don't get how  some people around here can't see that. 

Its not whether Fisher will take him its that he's a mediocre coach regardless. Sure I've said the same about Kubiak but he's better than Fisher.

Please explain how Kubiak is a better coach than fisher.  Leave out no details

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Please explain how Kubiak is a better coach than fisher.  Leave out no details

Well for one Fisher has always been mediocre even Kubiak managed to get something out of the Texans. Winning the division  etc. Plus he handled the whole QB controversy this past season rather well because that usually isn't the case with most teams. 

With Fisher it would've imploded. Fisher gets way too much credit for doing so little. I mean he appeared in an SB that shouldn't be forgotten but what has he done since?

Kubiak has done a lot more.

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The superbowl was only 4 weeks ago.   He didn't really wait that long to make a decision.  Favre waited longer all 3 times he retired

I don't think he took that long either but you can tell by the little things that it was it for him (choice or not) its just that most people are impatient about him announcing a decision they already made for him. You know because its what they want not that he's a grown man who's capable of making decisions about his life.

2 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Well for one Fisher has always been mediocre even Kubiak managed to get something out of the Texans. Winning the division  etc. Plus he handled the whole QB controversy this past season rather well because that usually isn't the case with most teams. 

With Fisher it would've imploded. Fisher gets way too much credit for doing so little. I mean he appeared in an SB that shouldn't be forgotten but what has he done since?

Kubiak has done a lot more.

Yeah,   you literally said nothing that explains how Kubiak is a better coach. 

32 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,   you literally said nothing that explains how Kubiak is a better coach. 

Actually I did but its obvious you don't agree and that's fine but just own it. 

I mean what exactly makes Jeff Fisher a good coach.

3 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Actually I did but its obvious you don't agree and that's fine but just own it. 

I mean what exactly makes Jeff Fisher a good coach.

I don't think fisher is a good coach.   But saying you think fisher would have bungled the qb situation isn't a reason why one is better than the other.   The best thing Kubiak did was hire Wade as his D coordinator.  

His skill level declined heavily some time ago. Even though he had a great chance of a third ring with that Denver D, I'm glad he came to the realization he is no longer an asset to the team.  That being said,  I don't think all of the drops, garbage blocking and Kubiak's god awful scheme helped matters.

Still, it was obvious he was missing a LOT of throws he used to make in his sleep.

He said when he no longer feels he can play at a level that helps the team, he'd retire. And so he has.

Hell of a career ol' boy.

On 3/5/2016 at 0:39 PM, CF4L said:

I think he will be released and then retire shortly after as neither a Bronco or a Colt.

Do you know the difference between released and retire  :dunno:   He is announcing his Retirement. 

Meanwhile Denver previously said they hoped he doesnt retire as if enters free agency or If Brock thinks he may stay in Denver its easieer to sign Brock

Thought was in FA a team that may have signed Brock would Draft insread if had Peyton to mentor for a year or 2

--------

Now that announcement basically done deal it will be harder to retain Brock if decides to test free agency

Brock Osweiler may indeed resign with Denver. But that, at this time, is far from a certainty. Other QB-needy teams will make this tough.

With Peyton Manning announcing his retirement, the Broncos are expected his "ramp up" their negotiations with Osweiler, but will it be enough to keep the quarterback in Denver?

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/6/11168796/report-it-is-far-from-a-certainty-that-brock-osweiler-re-signs-with

Tom Brady to Peyton Manning: 'You changed the game forever'

article

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25506621/tom-brady-to-peyton-manning-you-changed-the-game-forever

---------------------------------------------------------

Why Peyton Manning is undeniably one of the greatest quarterbacks ever

Pete Prisco

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25506405/why-peyton-manning-is-undeniably-one-of-the-greatest-quarterbacks-ever

2 hours ago, Moose Of Woe said:

His skill level declined heavily some time ago. Even though he had a great chance of a third ring with that Denver D, I'm glad he came to the realization he is no longer an asset to the team.  That being said,  I don't think all of the drops, garbage blocking and Kubiak's god awful scheme helped matters.

Still, it was obvious he was missing a LOT of throws he used to make in his sleep.

He said when he no longer feels he can play at a level that helps the team, he'd retire. And so he has.

Hell of a career ol' boy.

32 minutes ago, bayone said:

1 of many twitter reactions, see all below

& Just think all of the above really was his 1st 3 years after injury ridled last

& what 17 of the ITs were this year & just a few TD's

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25506433/peyton-manning-retires-after-18-season-twitter-reacts

I know under the circumstance we made the right move, but given how he played those first 3 years

& all the draft picks we could of got For draft Pick  # 1 when picked Luck, u just have to wonder what we could of surrounded him with if he stayed in Indy , then again we may never of changed our culture and still must and surround luck with a " COMPLETE TEAM "

1 hour ago, Susie Q said:

Do you know the difference between released and retire  :dunno:   He is announcing his Retirement. 

Yes I thought the Broncos were going to release him and then he would retire as neither a Colt or a Bronco but from the NFL in general. It appears he'll retire with Denver.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think fisher is a good coach.   But saying you think fisher would have bungled the qb situation isn't a reason why one is better than the other.   The best thing Kubiak did was hire Wade as his D coordinator.  

So what is to you? Fisher has a below .500 record as a head coach the only time he had any real success was when McNair was his QB. 

I do agree Wade has a lot more to do with the Broncos success than Kubiak.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

The best to ever play the position, in my opinion

When you think that he played the last 4 years without total feeling in his throwing hand. Seriously?' 

..and was the MVP and a two-time Super Bowl QB///....in his late 30s

..and his final season he was 10-2 as a starter with only one fully functioning hand

and one fully functioning foot??...That's the darndest thing I've ever heard of.

.....I agree with you....

38 minutes ago, bayone said:

I know under the circumstance we made the right move, but given how he played those first 3 years

& all the draft picks we could of got For draft Pick  # 1 when picked Luck, u just have to wonder what we could of surrounded him with if he stayed in Indy , then again we may never of changed our culture and still must and surround luck with a " COMPLETE TEAM "

We were in cap hell that year. We wouldn't have been able to surround Peyton with all that talent that Denver did.

1 hour ago, bayone said:

, u just have to wonder what we could of surrounded him with if he stayed in Indy

If he had stayed in Indy, our offensive line would have retired him a 2-4 years ago.

Starting in 2006 after the SB  with the retirement of Tarik Glenn our O-line got progressively worse each year to the point we couldn't run or pass block to save our lives. By 2008-2009 it was horrendous. It's better than that now, but not by a whole lot. Even though we still made the SB again in spite of it thanks to how good Peyton used to be.

Denver's was bad this year, but ours has been exponentially worse over the course of the last 4 seasons. He ran for his life for the last 2-3 years before his surgery and made things happen. Something I'm not sure any other QB could do at the time. However, post surgery I've little doubt that line would have gotten him killed.

25 minutes ago, Moose Of Woe said:

If he had stayed in Indy, our offensive line would have retired him a 2-4 years ago.

Starting in 2006 after the SB  with the retirement of Tarik Glenn our O-line got progressively worse each year to the point we couldn't run or pass block to save our lives. By 2008-2009 it was horrendous. It's better than that now, but not by a whole lot. Even though we still made the SB again in spite of it thanks to how good Peyton used to be.

Denver's was bad this year, but ours has been exponentially worse over the course of the last 4 seasons. He ran for his life for the last 2-3 years before his surgery and made things happen. Something I'm not sure any other QB could do at the time. However, post surgery I've little doubt that line would have gotten him killed.

Totally agree with that, just throwing If & wondering out there with all the draft picks we had to be better & field 1 great all around team

Hated Glens surprise retirement, that started Ugoh before he was ready

On previous forum sites I posted pictures of how the OL failed and got simply destroyed via pictures of viscous hits and being sandwiched by getting hit from 2 or 3 sides at once converging

Right now am just so happy he's doing the right thing from a medical viewpoint, from a playing viewpoint, from a Cinderella ending viewpoint, from a family viewpoint, its a PERFECT TIMING as if he practiced this Viewpoint ETC ETC

Brandon Marshall for being the first person to offer up something from the private Manning vault. The following video -- believed to be taken after the Broncos' Super Bowl 50 win over the Panthers -- was posted to Twitter hours after news broke of Manning's impending retirement.

The dab isn't great, but we've seen worse. The judges give it a 6.5/10, with two points added for the gold ropes putting dangerous pressure on the Sheriff's surgically repaired neck.

No wonder he can't wait to get them off.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641679/article/on-peytons-special-day-lets-watch-the-sheriff-dab

On February 29, 2016 at 10:08 PM, The Old Crow said:

Nothing left to prove . Has neck issues and will need hip replacement surgery. I met Johnny U before he passed away, and he had a lot of physical issues from being battered in the old days. It's time to go, what a great career for Manning. It's all about a good quality of life  for the rest of your days,  versus being Willie Mays with the Mets. 

Precisely, TOC. There's no need to play 1 more season or 2 IMO.

On March 2, 2016 at 0:33 PM, jet1968 said:

I hope he just retires. All of the rumors are begining to remind me of the Brett Favre drama.

That's what I want too J-68. You want your last memory in NFL legacy circles to be that of a Champion. 

On March 2, 2016 at 5:05 PM, bayone said:

Peyton Manning still mulling retirement decision, says agent

"To tell you the truth, I know that Peyton has not decided," Condon said.

"The only thing he said is I want to take my time and I want to make a good decision. I don't want to go back on anything," Condon said of what Manning has told him. "And then he said, 'I really like to play.' And I said 'OK, a year from now you'll say I really like to play and 20 years from now, you'll say I really like to play.'"

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29585645/peyton-manning-still-mulling-retirement-decision-says-agent

Thanks for this agent interview Barry. An 11 minute conversation to tell me his talent agent has no clue what 18 will do. There is humor in that notion you know. I know; I know. It's not my call to make. I just want the best for Peyton & in my estimation, this is the perfect time to depart & find other business & broadcasting challenges. Maybe even a few acting roles as well. Why not? Enjoy the good life Manning. You've earned it. 

3 hours ago, CF4L said:

So what is to you? Fisher has a below .500 record as a head coach the only time he had any real success was when McNair was his QB. 

I do agree Wade has a lot more to do with the Broncos success than Kubiak.

Fisher doesn't have a below .500 average.   But before Kubiak was hired by the broncos,  he did

Hey there FX, Mrs. Understood, & probably Barry too...please be sure to post lots of pictures of your Canton celebration festivities for 18 in 5 years so those of us who can't go; can live vicariously through your eyes & ears. 

Maybe even a selfie with 'The Sherif' too....That would be a nice crown jewel in your Manning collections I'm sure.

I could see Jvan there soaking up the whole yellow jacket ambiance too. 

4 hours ago, bayone said:

Tom Brady to Peyton Manning: 'You changed the game forever'

article

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25506621/tom-brady-to-peyton-manning-you-changed-the-game-forever

---------------------------------------------------------

Why Peyton Manning is undeniably one of the greatest quarterbacks ever

Pete Prisco

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25506405/why-peyton-manning-is-undeniably-one-of-the-greatest-quarterbacks-ever

I've gotta give Tom Brady props for being so complementary toward Peyton's impact & influence on the NFL. It doesn't completely dissolve what you knew & when you knew it during Deflate Gate at all, but I do appreciate your big picture legacy outlook on Manning's 1st ballot HOF credentials though. So thank you Tom. 

Peyton started calling players and coaches on Friday night - so much class and to let Mort break the news. Wow.

The way Peyton has gone about this tells me that there is no way he will make a comeback or sign with another team. I also agree with the sentiment that he may have been waiting until the UT nonsense was out of the news cycle. He got some positive PR with his recent speeches around the country and now the timing is perfect. 

So what next for PM? Will he sit on the beach for a year or will we soon see him in a Titans or Browns cap on a path towards ownership? Not sure I see him as a TV analyst myself. 

When Peyton does step up to the podium to give his Canton speech, what kind of speech will it be I wonder? A humorous one? A honor the greats that came before you one? A unsung heroes behind the scenes one? 

Peyton is so poised, so intelligent, so funny...I wanna get a window into how he anticipates throws so seamlessly to TEs & WRs over a 2 decade long career. The best QBs make it look so darn easy & it's never that simple. I just want to get a taste of locker room chemistry, how he breaks down film, & he can make an unknown talent like Pierre Garcon from back in his Colt days look like an annual ProBowler. Jesus, 18 was a master at that. Making a nobody look legit. 

Plus, I'm curious to see who Peyton picks to introduce him. Cooper, Eli, Archie, or Dungy? I'm leaning toward Tony myself. Obviously, I have no idea. It's fun to ponder though. 

Can you imagine the ESPN & NFL Network ratings that Canton night? Threw the roof...

The cool about Manning is he doesn't have an onslaught of haters or detractors perse. Sure, you're always gonna have your overrated naysayer crowd or your nonsense HGH fool shouters of course. But, I would venture to guess that Peyton is well liked & respected for his high IQ, personality, & charity work across the globe. It's rare to see an athlete these days that's almost beloved, or at least, collectively admired by his contemporaries both on the field & in league front offices. 

I always wonder what generates greater TV rating. Beloved, iconic status or universal hatred among sects of people? I say that because both emotions channeled in the right or wrong direction can be equally potent & powerful. 

Happy for ya Peyton! Okay, SW1 will shut up now. There was much rejoicing. Hey! I deserve that. haha No worries.