Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapoport on Jaylon Smith [Merge]

Nerve damage in the ankle and knee, apparently still persisting based on the brace/sleeve he's wearing. That's majorly concerning.

That really sucks for him, to get hurt in his final college game. Of course, if he falls out of the first, he collects on his insurance policy.

57 minutes ago, MPStack said:

It wouldn`t be the first time a player was drafted in the first round and sat out his rookie season. Willis McGahee did with Bills. Still his injury is somewhat concerning.

And I'm pretty sure the Bills missed the playoffs every year McGahee was there. Not saying that would happed with Smith, just saying some bad drafting was going on in Buffalo during that era.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

So if he drops down to the 2nd rd who would be in favor of drafting Smith? I think it would be worth the risk.

I'd be there too. And I hate signing injured players so that should speak for itself

But sadly, I doubt he makes it past the patriots.... or even the Broncos at 32.

I would not take the risk in the first three rounds, at least.  We are drafting at 18 this year, not at the backend like we are used to.  We can get an immediate starter in the first two rounds maybe three rounds.  Mewhort was our second round pick when we drafted at the back of the draft and he is already a solid starter.  WE don't want to lose this opportunity on a player who might never be the same again.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  If we were drafting at the end of the draft, maybe.  That means we are a playoff team with a strong roster who might want to take a flyer.  Not this team who needs an infusion of good young talent now!

If he was still there in top portion of the 2nd round (let's say 2nd round pick #10ish), who would be in favor of trading the 2017 #1 to get him and let him sit out 2016?  Bobby Beathard (Redskins GM at the time) used to trade his next years #1 for a high-mid #2 almost every year.

This allows you to keep all the picks this year and get a high first round talent for your 2017 pick which could well be a playoff level pick (>#20).  A couple downsides to that scenario:

- You would only have 3 playing years before he becomes an UFA (no 5th year option).

- Risk that he doesn't fully recover.

If the team was confident that he could fully recover then it think this might be an interesting option.  But the fact is, if he fell that far in the draft, it's likely because of doubts about a full recovery.

1 hour ago, ponyboy said:

If he was still there in top portion of the 2nd round (let's say 2nd round pick #10ish), who would be in favor of trading the 2017 #1 to get him and let him sit out 2016?  Bobby Beathard (Redskins GM at the time) used to trade his next years #1 for a high-mid #2 almost every year.

This allows you to keep all the picks this year and get a high first round talent for your 2017 pick which could well be a playoff level pick (>#20).  A couple downsides to that scenario:

- You would only have 3 playing years before he becomes an UFA (no 5th year option).

- Risk that he doesn't fully recover.

If the team was confident that he could fully recover then it think this might be an interesting option.  But the fact is, if he fell that far in the draft, it's likely because of doubts about a full recovery.

I am in no way interested in trading next years #1 pick for a player who might be a good player. Nerve damage can go either way. With the players coming out next season having your #1 would be a good thing. I don't see Grigson taking that gamble after trading a #1 for Richardson.

I mean I don't want to say I told you he's got nerve damage but I kinda said it everyone was saying he was fine . I knew it was nonsense because he kept trying to show he was fine way to early . According to nfl network not only is it a 2016 season injury but I could be a career injury . Buyer beware. We can't afford to take a guy and hope he's ok in the future . Jaylon I see 4th round in your future 

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I kind of expected him to miss the entire season, but the buzz words "at least" and "nerve damage" scare me. I've been on board with taking him if he's there but now I'm hesitant unless he's there in round 2.

I saw something earlier saying his injury is close to Lattimores injury a few years back. Lattimore had to retire....

I hope its not that bad

20 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I saw something earlier saying his injury is close to Lattimores injury a few years back. Lattimore had to retire....

I hope its not that bad

Lattimore tore four ligaments, and had nerve damage. Smith's injury isn't as bad.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Lattimore tore four ligaments, and had nerve damage. Smith's injury isn't as bad.

I guess there will be some GM that will take that gamble but I am not too sure I want it to be Grigson. I just think we need a pick that will have the best chance of being a starter immediately without taking a gamble. Grigson has already took a gamble with a #1 pick and got burned. It would be hades for that to happen again.

13 hours ago, MTC said:

I know a lot of you will disagree with me, but I still think we should draft him at #18 (or at least trade down). 

Wasting another 1st rounder pick? Yeah. No thanks. After the Werner and Richardson catastrophes, we need someone that can contribute right away and raise the level of play. If that player is marginally worse than Jaylon Smith long term, so be it (there's no way to know right now). Missing a year in 2016 essentially makes him a rookie in 2017, and that's where the wasting part comes in, because we're missing out on true impact perhaps until 2018. That's too long to wait. And thats the ideal scenario. Combine that with the uncertainty of the injury. For me, it's a no to Jaylon Smith.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess there will be some GM that will take that gamble but I am not too sure I want it to be Grigson. I just think we need a pick that will have the best chance of being a starter immediately without taking a gamble. Grigson has already took a gamble with a #1 pick and got burned. It would be hades for that to happen again.

Neither do I. This is the best chance to get a difference maker. Even if they move down and accumulate picks, I'd be okay. I don't want to see them draft a player who might not play in 2016, at least not at #18.

3 hours ago, James said:

Wasting another 1st rounder pick? Yeah. No thanks. After the Werner and Richardson catastrophes, we need someone that can contribute right away and raise the level of play. If that player is marginally worse than Jaylon Smith long term, so be it (there's no way to know right now). Missing a year in 2016 essentially makes him a rookie in 2017, and that's where the wasting part comes in, because we're missing out on true impact perhaps until 2018. That's too long to wait. And thats the ideal scenario. Combine that with the uncertainty of the injury. For me, it's a no to Jaylon Smith.

I agree 100%. As far as first round "immediate impact" players are concerned, Grigson has really missed on three, not two. Phillip Dorsett may have great potential, but he was a non-factor last season. I don't care if you're drafting #1 or #32, the guy you take in the first round needs to be capable of making the team better immediately. Spending a pick in the first three or four rounds on a guy who can't play in 2016, and may or may not ever be the player he used to be before the injury, just isn't worth taking the risk. 

54 minutes ago, Superman said:

Neither do I. This is the best chance to get a difference maker. Even if they move down and accumulate picks, I'd be okay. I don't want to see them draft a player who might not play in 2016, at least not at #18.

Moving down and picking up an extra pick or two would be great as long as their first pick is a starter. That would be fantastic.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm not sure that's even the question anymore....

The bigger question is......   do we want him?      If he's got nerve damage, and it's impacting both ankles, then something is very wrong inside Jaylon Smith.     

At what round do you gamble?  

Certainly not a 1st?     And I don't think a 2nd either?  

When does the risk match the reward?      4th round?

This gets very, very complicated..........

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure that's even the question anymore....

The bigger question is......   do we want him?      If he's got nerve damage, and it's impacting both ankles, then something is very wrong inside Jaylon Smith.     

At what round do you gamble?  

Certainly not a 1st?     And I don't think a 2nd either?  

When does the risk match the reward?      4th round?

This gets very, very complicated..........

I assume you didn't mean "both ankles".  Other than that I agree, if there is nerve damage the odds of him getting back to where he was is small.  I don't think the Colts can take a gamble on him in the early rounds.