Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns Interview Pep Hamilton

SDakColts

But no seriously. He's the worst offensive coordinator in the entire NFL. And why anyone would want to hire him to even be a Special Teams coach is beyond me. But he seems like a logical choice for the Browns, considering most of the things they do is illogical.

11 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

But no seriously. He's the worst offensive coordinator in the entire NFL. And why anyone would want to hire him to even be a Special Teams coach is beyond me. But he seems like a logical choice for the Browns, considering most of the things they do is illogical.

That's just not correct... while not great he was far from the worst.

11 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Cleveland has a forgiving fan-base, considering they brought back Lebron James, 

Lol. The Cavs were practically kneeling at his feet, begging him to come back and save the franchise.  I think he is the one who forgave Cleveland.(He forgave the owner for that ridiculous letter he wrote to fans.)

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Certainly Pep can learn from his success and troubles hes had here. Coaches get better or get lost.  My only concern, does Hue Jackson want to game plan and make the play calls for the Browns?  If so, what input would Pep have, and would he be satisfied with it?

I read this morning that Jackson does not plan to hire an offensive coordinator.  

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

The hate for Pep is unreal. I get that our offense disappointed, but weren't we like the #3 offense the year before with a healthy Luck? I don't want him back or anything, but is the extreme hatred really warrented?

It is unbelievable how some Colts fans despise the guy. He did not seem as bad as how fans describe.  The worst OC ever? Come on...

11 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Great, now Pep's first suggestion to improve the offense... sign Trent Richardson. Cleveland has a forgiving fan-base, considering they brought back Lebron James, so I'm sure everything will work out great.

LeBron is the best player in the game.   Trent,  not so much

15 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

This is a tad sensational don't you think?  It's one thing to vent the poor season we just endured, it's another to completely ignore the success that Pep had here prior to this year.  

A change was definitely needed for us, but that doesn't make him a bad coach. Peps a great coach and will probably go on to have great success but he made some mistakes here and he'll get a chance to right them in a new situation.

As someone else mentioned, Hue Jackson doesn't plan on having an OC: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000623547/article/browns-hue-jackson-i-dont-plan-on-having-an-oc

I don't like that. I generally have a problem with head coaches calling plays. He's the first that's basically said he doesn't even want an OC. Bruce Arians calls plays, but he hired two OCs. Maybe I'm taking Hue's comment too literally.

A role as an assistant who doesn't have to call plays might be exactly what Pep needs to get better. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

As someone else mentioned, Hue Jackson doesn't plan on having an OC: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000623547/article/browns-hue-jackson-i-dont-plan-on-having-an-oc

I don't like that. I generally have a problem with head coaches calling plays. He's the first that's basically said he doesn't even want an OC. Bruce Arians calls plays, but he hired two OCs. Maybe I'm taking Hue's comment too literally.

A role as an assistant who doesn't have to call plays might be exactly what Pep needs to get better. 

As stupid as it sounds play calling seemed to be Pep's biggest issue, but play design he had some nice ideas. 

22 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

He's not even close to the worst OC in the NFL.      

The Colts offense his first two years was perfectly decent, including being ranked 3rd overall in 2014.

Why you have so much hate is a mystery?      He's been fired from Indy.     Move on and stop with the silly, ridiculous HATE!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's not even close to the worst OC in the NFL.      

The Colts offense his first two years was perfectly decent, including being ranked 3rd overall in 2014.

Why you have so much hate is a mystery?      He's been fired from Indy.     Move on and stop with the silly, ridiculous HATE!

I didn't ever use the word hate. But we all know Pep was terrible this year. I didn't like the hiring from the beginning, and if he wasn't the worst OC in the NFL this year he had to be pretty close. 

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Seem Hue Jackson agrees.  Let us see if Pep agrees...

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I didn't ever use the word hate. But we all know Pep was terrible this year. I didn't like the hiring from the beginning, and if he wasn't the worst OC in the NFL this year he had to be pretty close. 

The fact that you don't use the word "hate" doesn't give you a get out of jail free card from being a 100% hater.      First you called him "the worst" then when challenged by a number of posters here,  you made it among the worst.    He's none of that.

Yes, he had a terrible half season here with the Colts in 2015.    Heck, I called for him to be fired after week 2 Monday Night loss to the Jets.

But he had 2 pretty darn good season in 2013 and 2014.    That alone completely removes him from the discussion of among the worst coordinators in football.

There's no need to trash the guy.    We can all move on....

All HC and coordinators get fired and rehired in their careers, why should Pep be any different. He has a lot of things to work on, but he has most importantly experince now. I wish him luck and hope he helps the Browns if hired. Note to Pep, cover your mouth when calling plays.

On 1/16/2016 at 7:39 PM, COLTS449 said:

Stay Classy Colts fan!

Interesting staff Hue is putting together. The Pep deal hasn't been confirmed yet, but it's assumed he'll be a coordinator/assistant.

They wanted Kirby Wilson from the Vikings to be the "run game coordinator," but the Vikings declined permission, as is their right. But that would have taken more pressure off of Pep to arrange the run game, which is something Pep struggled with in Indy. They've also talked to Hal Hunter, former Colts OL coach.

The Browns also want Ray Horton as DC. He's still under contract with the Titans, so it's unclear how that will play out.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Interesting staff Hue is putting together. The Pep deal hasn't been confirmed yet, but it's assumed he'll be a coordinator/assistant.

They wanted Kirby Wilson from the Vikings to be the "run game coordinator," but the Vikings declined permission, as is their right. But that would have taken more pressure off of Pep to arrange the run game, which is something Pep struggled with in Indy. They've also talked to Hal Hunter, former Colts OL coach.

The Browns also want Ray Horton as DC. He's still under contract with the Titans, so it's unclear how that will play out.

For some reason I'd got it in my head Lebeau was the DC for the Titans not Horton. 

Interesting moves by the Browns, will amount to nothing if they _still_ can't find a QB, even a transition one. 

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

For some reason I'd got it in my head Lebeau was the DC for the Titans not Horton. 

Interesting moves by the Browns, will amount to nothing if they _still_ can't find a QB, even a transition one. 

LeBeau was assistant head coach / defense, basically above Horton. Interesting dynamic.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2015/06/18/titans-dick-lebeau-ray-horton-steelers/28945571/

6 hours ago, Superman said:

LeBeau was assistant head coach / defense, basically above Horton. Interesting dynamic.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2015/06/18/titans-dick-lebeau-ray-horton-steelers/28945571/

Some interesting quotes from that article:

"This is his defense, and it has always been his defense,'' Horton said of LeBeau. "I guarantee you on our part there is no issue, there is no problem, and there will be no egos. It is going to be seamless. Players, they just want to be put in a position to succeed and we plan on doing that. And the goal for both of us is the same, to get the Titans into the playoffs."

"McCourty said. "Neither one of those guys are ego guys, and neither one is going to care who gets the credit."

What are your thoughts on LeBeau? Everything I've read about his scheme suggests it was revolutionary at the time and it's done well to stand up in this league for so long. 

9 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Some interesting quotes from that article:

"This is his defense, and it has always been his defense,'' Horton said of LeBeau. "I guarantee you on our part there is no issue, there is no problem, and there will be no egos. It is going to be seamless. Players, they just want to be put in a position to succeed and we plan on doing that. And the goal for both of us is the same, to get the Titans into the playoffs."

"McCourty said. "Neither one of those guys are ego guys, and neither one is going to care who gets the credit."

What are your thoughts on LeBeau? Everything I've read about his scheme suggests it was revolutionary at the time and it's done well to stand up in this league for so long. 

Yeah his defense is a big deal. A couple years ago I would have suggested that it's going out of style, and maybe it is, but more and more teams are relying on shell zone coverages. I don't think anyone has handled the blitzing as well as LeBeau.