Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich just got released, anyone like him for our QB coach?

chad72

Frank Reich, who has had a history with the Colts as former WR coach and QB coach prior to being OC this year for the Chargers, was just released.

I would like to have him as a QB coach for Luck. Anyone else think that might work?

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Frank Reich, who has had a history with the Colts as former WR coach and QB coach prior to being OC this year for the Chargers, was just released.

I would like to have him as a QB coach for Luck. Anyone else think that might work?

I doubt clyde is going anywhere 

56 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I kinda thought Rivers had a pretty good year.  I know it did not last.

Maybe someone is eyeing him as coordinator.

He always plays well. The coaching and overall team around him always sucks. Almost feel sorry for the guy, he's not gonna win jack crap with the Chargers.

49 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

You don't have to have played in the NFL to be a good coach

No, but having played QB helps you see the field differently, IMO. Frank has been both a coach and QB and thus I think brings a different perspective.

When you see Luck in 2015 still staring down wide outs, not looking off the safety often, I wonder if the QB coach is getting through to him.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

He always plays well. The coaching and overall team around him always sucks. Almost feel sorry for the guy, he's not gonna win jack crap with the Chargers.

1 hour ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

At this point, I'd want Clyde gone. He hasn't done much in terms of development of Luck. It seems like each season we see a similar Luck and nothing too much better. I also don't understand why he stayed, considering he was a spillover from the last regime.

Clyde is fine.  It is not what he didn't do with Luck, he did it with Freeman and Lindsey....3 days...WOW!!

Reich will land on his feet soon....:)

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

No, but having played QB helps you see the field differently, IMO. Frank has been both a coach and QB and thus I think brings a different perspective.

When you see Luck in 2015 still staring down wide outs, not looking off the safety often, I wonder if the QB coach is getting through to him.

I don't think that is due to coaching.  I think Luck knows his protection is subpar, so he feels pressure/panicked to get the ball out quickly.  This causes him to stare down his primary receiver, allowing the safety to drift towards that side, taking away the throw.  This forces Luck to hold onto the ball longer than he wants, resulting in him taking sacks or forcing throws.  I don't think that's due to coaching, but rather due to a subpar OL.  Just my opinion

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't think that is due to coaching.  I think Luck knows his protection is subpar, so he feels pressure/panicked to get the ball out quickly.  This causes him to stare down his primary receiver, allowing the safety to drift towards that side, taking away the throw.  This forces Luck to hold onto the ball longer than he wants, resulting in him taking sacks or forcing throws.  I don't think that's due to coaching, but rather due to a subpar OL.  Just my opinion

Luck knows his protection is bad, which somehow results in him holding the ball too long?

That's not how it works at all.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Luck knows his protection is bad, which somehow results in him holding the ball too long?

That's not how it works at all.

Just a hypothesis.  Bad protection > lock onto primary target > defense catches on and safety takes away his primary target, resulting in Luck holding onto the ball too long

Clyde is a good coach but I think he is getting a little stale.

It can be a huge benefit to have a quality coach that has been on a few different staffs.  As a coach, that is the best way to pick up new (and worthwhile) trends, information, etc.

Diversity in experience is invaluable.  In Clyde's case, continuity is a valuable attribute but not at the expense of not being caught up on the best way to train and prepare young NFL QBs these days.

17 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

Clyde is fine.  It is not what he didn't do with Luck, he did it with Freeman and Lindsey....3 days...WOW!!

Reich will land on his feet soon....:)

It is actually what he didn't do with Luck.  He had Luck for 4 years and still Luck has some of the bad habits that he had in college.  Time for him to go.

42 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

It is actually what he didn't do with Luck.  He had Luck for 4 years and still Luck has some of the bad habits that he had in college.  Time for him to go.

We can go back and forth on this one and not get anywhere.  I won't argue with ya!!  Ready to get rocking on new hires and fun stuff.  I will root for any coach that is hired on the staff...even if/when Clyde leaves.  I just think he will stay.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

How about those who said Clyde would stay in this thread? :)

I would like Frank Reich, personally for QB coach.

I think it should be someone who knows Chud's offense. Clyde played a significant role for the Colts in 2015, feeding the plays in from the OC to the QB. Since Chud likes to call plays from the booth, whoever is giving the plays to the QB should be familiar with the terminology and the concepts.

I'm not against Reich at all. But I'd be interested in a Norv Turner assistant. That's Chud's heritage.

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think it should be someone who knows Chud's offense. Clyde played a significant role for the Colts in 2015, feeding the plays in from the OC to the QB. Since Chud likes to call plays from the booth, whoever is giving the plays to the QB should be familiar with the terminology and the concepts.

I'm not against Reich at all. But I'd be interested in a Norv Turner assistant. That's Chud's heritage.

How about Norv Turner? :) 

When I look at the 2013 Cleveland Browns I have to say Rob Chudzinski put together a nice little staff.  Those dummies in the front office just didn't give the guy time to work through the lumps.  You had Chud as the head coach, then you had Norv Turner as the OC along with Ray Horton as the DC.  I saw that guy Flajole that we interviewed was also on Chuds staff as the linebackers coach. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why does everyone assume that Reich want to be a QB coach? Also, why does every fired coach be the one the Colts need? I have always been a mind in it's better to hire a coach who has a job than to hire off the street.

Because we have spoiled fans (sarcasm) but we do in reality. I mean that in a good way.

Ideally, it would be nice to see the Colts land an "up and comming"/hod commodity QB, if possible (as opposed to someone that has been discarded multiple times). 

Mike Sanford turned out to be just what Notre Dame needed.  I do not know who would prove to be the NFL equivalent; need to do some research.

On 1/6/2016 at 11:01 PM, zibby43 said:

Clyde is a good coach but I think he is getting a little stale.

It can be a huge benefit to have a quality coach that has been on a few different staffs.  As a coach, that is the best way to pick up new (and worthwhile) trends, information, etc.

Diversity in experience is invaluable.  In Clyde's case, continuity is a valuable attribute but not at the expense of not being caught up on the best way to train and prepare young NFL QBs these days.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

How about those who said Clyde would stay in this thread? :)

I would like Frank Reich, personally for QB coach.

I'm feeling pretty vindicated, actually. :)

6 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

We'll pick 2nd in 2017 just ask the Chargers.  He helped the Chargers pick #3 overall in the draft this year. Need I say more.

Well...yes, you do. If you think Frank Reich singlehandedly  caused the team this year and only this year to plummet, then yes, I'd want to hear more about that...