Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Grigson / Pagano saga (merged)

Dustin

14 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

We've touched on this many, many times during the season with regards to turnovers & penalties. Just as you have pointed out MOS, two years makes a gargantuan difference. If we could go back and incorporate the league leading venue of turnovers & penalties from then, we're not talking about a lot of what's wrong with the Colts & virtually not making the Playoffs in 2015-16 season.

To the contrary, we're preparing for them, even without Luck. So, there's that. Execution has destroyed this season. Plain, pure, and simple.

Previous poster said the Colts have suffered from a lack of discipline throughout Pagano's tenure, and points to penalties and turnovers. The point is that the Colts haven't had a turnover/penalty problem under Pagano, thereby undermining the idea that there's been a lack of discipline. 

Separate from that point, turnovers aren't an issue of discipline.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Previous poster said the Colts have suffered from a lack of discipline throughout Pagano's tenure, and points to penalties and turnovers. The point is that the Colts haven't had a turnover/penalty problem under Pagano, thereby undermining the idea that there's been a lack of discipline. 

Yeah, I read ya. Just seemed that the "lack of discipline" quote solely pointed to TOs & penalties from a singularity shot at Pagano. Which in turn, is not the case as you pointed out. Just wish some would sit back and look at the entire picture with regards to winning & losing games. It's not as easy as some point out over & over again. 

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

They had one good season where they were really high in terms on lack of flags.  Other than that they have been middle of the pack at best.

As for turnovers they are very much a product of discipline as often times doing the little things like making sure the ball is wrapped up or not making the throw into triple coverage is what prevents most turnovers. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

The players didn't quit in those games. They got outplayed, and were outmatched. (Here comes the 'if they didn't quit, I'd hate to see if they did' line. Just watch the games. Greg Toler getting burned down the sideline doesn't mean he or anyone else quit. Players coming out of their lanes on punt coverage doesn't mean they quit.) 

And the phrase 'I would do anything for Coach' is a figure of speech, and should be considered in context. 

The Colts haven't had an issue with discipline. Two years ago, they were the least penalized team in the league, and committed the fewest turnovers in the league. Turnovers aren't a reflection of poor discipline, anyways. They don't have a bunch of players getting fined, suspended, etc.

Lastly, players saying things like this is something that the Colts have not been known for throughout Pagano's tenure. When things start coming apart, like now, it's typical that a player or two would speak out of turn. And still, the worst things that have been said by Hilton and reportedly McAfee, off the record, are child's play compared to the stuff that comes out of other camps when there's tension or uncertainty. 

I watched those games if you don't want to believe that is quitting then fine but they quit in the Steelers and Jags games. 

I know it's a figure of speech but the point is they aren't doing that.  What they are really saying is that they like Pagano, I have no doubt that they do.  As I have said he's an extremely likable person.  However, the players have proven they don't love him to the point they would do anything for him.  They have proven that with their effort and the fact they keep making the same mistakes over and over. 

The Colts have very much had an issue with discipline rather it be too many flags or just dumb ones at the wrong time.  This team also repeats mistakes at an alarming level which also points to a lack of discipline. 

I don't care if they have had a issue with speaking out in the past or not.  They have one now.  It's not good.  I know this has been a very toxic season and this is just more proof of it.  There is clearly an issue in Colts land and their future is going to depend on how it's handled. 

57 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Yeah, I read ya. Just seemed that the "lack of discipline" quote solely pointed to TOs & penalties from a singularity shot at Pagano. Which in turn, is not the case as you pointed out. Just wish some would sit back and look at the entire picture with regards to winning & losing games. It's not as easy as some point out over & over again. 

TOs and panalties aren't all Pagano's fault but he does get most of the blame.  He's the coach and those things reflect coaching because they should be corrected when they happen.  They aren't with the Colts. 

Now is this whole season's Pagano's fault?  No.  The players and Grigson also share in the blame.  There is also some major injuries which just happen.  I agree injuries aren't an excuse but sometimes they are very much the reason people just don't like to say that because there is nothing you can do about injuries. 

I think a lot of people want to give Pagano a pass and I don't think he deserves ones.  While he shouldn't shoulder ALL of the blame either his hands are still dirty in this. 

31 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They had one good season where they were really high in terms on lack of flags.  Other than that they have been middle of the pack at best.

As for turnovers they are very much a product of discipline as often times doing the little things like making sure the ball is wrapped up or not making the throw into triple coverage is what prevents most turnovers. 

'I respect my coach so much that I'm not going to turn the ball over.' 

Doesn't work like that. Teams with young QBs typically turn the ball over. Teams with bad OCs typically turn the ball over. 

And 'middle of the pack' in penalties isn't indicative of a discipline issue.

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I watched those games if you don't want to believe that is quitting then fine but they quit in the Steelers and Jags games. 

If you want to believe that they quit, that's fine, but they didn't. 

That's not how it works, either.

There is a fine line between quitting and being undisciplined in fundamentals...(which specific units have been for the majority of the year). But at the same time their is no doubt some players do quit once they get paid, To believe all athletes are pros and will play hard no matter what is just simply not being realistic. Some players do get lazy and don't put in extra work. Do I think we have some lazy players on the team? 63 players on the team counting PS so of course I do expect a select few to be lazy...Every team has them I believe. That's certainly not exclusive to the Colts

But generally I believe most players work hard and are motivated by different things....Money....Not letting teammates down, Winning...Not wanting to get embarrassed on national tv and then ridiculed to the umpteenth degree after the fact for at least the next week. Job security. Family. But yes some do get lazy and quit

The obvious issue here is with Grigson. 90% of what he has done has been failure. How did he not fix the offensive line after last season? In my opinion, Luck injury and this season is on him. I'm no expert but it's pretty clear whoever is at QB don't have much of a chance. Everyone wanted to blame Luck for interceptions. But half of them was after getting hit throwing. KEEP PAGANO! Either let him takeover signing duties or HIRE A GM THAT KNOWS HOW TO SEE THE OBVIOUS! Let's fix the real problem!

8 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Why do people do this - quote and then give no response. Does it mean something? I've seen it several times recently and now I'm starting to wonder.

I've had it happen, it's a glitch I think within the new software where if you quote froma mobile phone, the next time you try to post, it in turn posts the previous quote.  It's random too.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

TOs and panalties aren't all Pagano's fault but he does get most of the blame.  He's the coach and those things reflect coaching because they should be corrected when they happen.  They aren't with the Colts. 

Now is this whole season's Pagano's fault?  No.  The players and Grigson also share in the blame.  There is also some major injuries which just happen.  I agree injuries aren't an excuse but sometimes they are very much the reason people just don't like to say that because there is nothing you can do about injuries. 

I think a lot of people want to give Pagano a pass and I don't think he deserves ones.  While he shouldn't shoulder ALL of the blame either his hands are still dirty in this. 

Yes. I agree. There have been many tainted ingredients going into this half-baked awful tasting pie.  Plenty of blame to go around, that's for sure. Injuries are exempt. Coaching, play, and execution are not. If the GM factor is true, that's just more salt on everyone's piece of that just dessert.

Just revisiting this thread a bit to add some puzzling thoughts.  I'll copy the paragraph in the Kravitz article I've been stewing over:

Grigson, who traded a first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns for running back Trent Richardson, continued to insist that Richardson play, and even start, despite the running back’s weight issues and obvious lack of production. According to sources, Grigson was concerned with creating the narrative that it was a good trade, something it clearly was not.

If true, this is obviously a problem ( I still don't know how the source would know that Grigson was trying to create a narrative). But how out of the ordinary is it?  Haven't nearly all teams in the past play their first round busted draft pick more than they should have?  Or their high priced FA?  Maybe its indicative of a meddling GM, but I don't think this type of meddling is uncommon.   I assume there is a risk the next GM will demand the first round pick get PT.

And speaking of first round busts...if Grigson is so domineering and wants to create a positive narrative for himself, why didn't he demand Werner start and play more?   Werner has earned his spot on the bench with apparently no complaints.

None of this matters.  Things just seem weird...and rehashed.

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Just revisiting this thread a bit to add some puzzling thoughts.  I'll copy the paragraph in the Kravitz article I've been stewing over:

Grigson, who traded a first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns for running back Trent Richardson, continued to insist that Richardson play, and even start, despite the running back’s weight issues and obvious lack of production. According to sources, Grigson was concerned with creating the narrative that it was a good trade, something it clearly was not.

If true, this is obviously a problem ( I still don't know how the source would know that Grigson was trying to create a narrative). But how out of the ordinary is it?  Haven't nearly all teams in the past play their first round busted draft pick more than they should have?  Or their high priced FA?  Maybe its indicative of a meddling GM, but I don't think this type of meddling is uncommon.   I assume there is a risk the next GM will demand the first round pick get PT.

And speaking of first round busts...if Grigson is so domineering and wants to create a positive narrative for himself, why didn't he demand Werner start and play more?   Werner has earned his spot on the bench with apparently no complaints.

None of this matters.  Things just seem weird...and rehashed.

Actually Doug people on here (including I) was saying he was forcing Trent to play to try and save face for his worst professional decision.  Week after week when the 2nd and 3rd string RB's were gaining acceptable yards per carry, they kept handing it to Trent for 1 and 2 and 0 yard gains (and what seemed like a lot of 2 yard losses).  All while it was happening, it was 100% obvious Grigson was trying to save face and Kravitz simply verifies common sense and wide public opinion on the matter.  

36 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Actually Doug people on here including me were saying he was forcing Trent to play to try and save face for his worst professional decision.  Week after week when the 2nd and 3rd string RB's were gaining acceptable yards per carry, they kept handing it to Trent for 1 and 2 and 0 yard gains (and what seemed like a lot of 2 yard losses).  All while it was happening, it was 100% obvious Grigson was trying to save face and Kravitz simply verifies common sense and wide public opinion on the matter.  

Grigson demanded TRich start....to save face.

So what you're saying is.  Grigson knows that there are better RBs available that might help take the team to the SB..but he doesn't want to sign them or play the better ones he has on the roster because the public would see the contrast between those RBs and TRich and would know that he made a bad trade.....

...but that continuing to play a bad TRich in front of the public's eyes would fool people into thinking the trade was good?

The more I think about this the more I believe the meddling and dominance of Grigson is greatly exaggerated. It's hard to imagine that any GM would not have serious input from the head coach on draft picks and trades, or that any owner would allow his GM to make moves without the head coach being a key part of the decisions. 

Isn't it possible that Pagano pushed for the Trent trade? I mean, why the "he's a bowling ball of butcher knives" garbage at the press conferences if it was all Grigsons move? If Pagano wasn't excited about getting Trent I would think he would simply say "he's a great back who can help win us some ball games" or something similar. Maybe it was Chuck trying to validate the trade to prove he was right? 

I don't know, and neither does anyone else. It just seems like player acquisitions whether through draft or free agency would be done by the GM with significant input by the head coach.

This team, good or bad, is a result of the decisions by both of these guys. Neither one should be able to use the other as a scapegoat. Get rid of both or keep both. 

I’ve always felt  there should be a closer degree of accountability between the GM and the head coach for the results of the football operation.

Scott Pioli

19 minutes ago, coltsva said:

The more I think about this the more I believe the meddling and dominance of Grigson is greatly exaggerated. It's hard to imagine that any GM would not have serious input from the head coach on draft picks and trades, or that any owner would allow his GM to make moves without the head coach being a key part of the decisions. 

Isn't it possible that Pagano pushed for the Trent trade? I mean, why the "he's a bowling ball of butcher knives" garbage at the press conferences if it was all Grigsons move? If Pagano wasn't excited about getting Trent I would think he would simply say "he's a great back who can help win us some ball games" or something similar. Maybe it was Chuck trying to validate the trade to prove he was right? 

I don't know, and neither does anyone else. It just seems like player acquisitions whether through draft or free agency would be done by the GM with significant input by the head coach.

This team, good or bad, is a result of the decisions by both of these guys. Neither one should be able to use the other as a scapegoat. Get rid of both or keep both. 

I’ve always felt  there should be a closer degree of accountability between the GM and the head coach for the results of the football operation.

Scott Pioli

Newsflash:...Irsay and Pagano welcomed the TRich trade. 

TRIch was the 1st and 2nd series pounder and (brittle) DBrown was the change of pace slasher.  If you try to use DBrown as the pounder he would miss a lot of games.  If Pagano wanted to "start" (whatever that means) DBrown over TRich...and I doubt that he did...it would have been stupid. 

The pound then slash offense is what Stanford ran.  Pep and TRich came to the Colts about the same time.  If what is said about Pep and Grigson is true, then I would say this TRich/Pep thing is related....and it comes down to Grigson wanting patience to see if the offense would work or if Pep could get his legs under him, where as Pagano wanted to more immediate success. 

A rift in strategy for sure....and perhaps the timeline for success was different...but nobody is willfully undermining the teams chance to win because they want to save face.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

A rift in strategy for sure....but nobody is willfully undermining the teams chance to win because they want to save face.

Totally agree. "To prove he was right" was meant as just being stubborn to what he saw in Trent and how it could work and not simply to prove Trent was a good move. 

23 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Totally agree. "To prove he was right" was meant as just being stubborn to what he saw in Trent and how it could work and not simply to prove Trent was a good move. 

And if DB or Bradshaw gets hurt because Chuck wants more immediate success, then Grigson has to go find another RB and possibly waive somebody else at another position.  That's fine, and Pagano would have a point, but if the timeline for getting to the SB is off between the two, the GM wants to see who can play and who can't so he can be in a position to make serious moves in the offseason.  The HC might not be a team player in that regard in that he wants to win as many games as possible now and doesn't care so much about the roster two or three years from now.

Maybe a questionable strategy, maybe differences in strategy, but the notion of one or the other trying to prove to the world that they were right is really not how grown ups make decisions.

Really can't wait for Mon or Tues so we can get over this drama. I hope if Irsay is going to fire Pagano that he has the decency to do it soon. Maybe not the greatest confidence in Pagano as a coach after this season, but don't harbor any personal issues with him. He probably will get another shot somewhere.

If we do fire him, I don't want a first time HC again. Caldwell followed by Pagano, both first time HC. If we keep Grigson (and I hope not) then we need a strong, experienced HC who can make his own decisions and keep Grigson's nose out of the game planning.

4 minutes ago, Stanford Joel said:

PAY Jimmy Johnson to come out of retirement as our new GM. Pagano is from the Jimmy Johnson coaching tree.

How did hiring Jimmy Johnson work out for Miami? Jimmy Johnson made maybe the best blockbuster trade in NFL history and that is what made the Cowboys who they were.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

How did hiring Jimmy Johnson work out for Miami? Jimmy Johnson made maybe the best blockbuster trade in NFL history and that is what made the Cowboys who they were.

And yes, that was maybe the greatest trade of all time but it still required someone who knew talent and could hit on successful draft picks.

Just now, Stanford Joel said:

And yes, that was maybe the greatest trade of all time but it still required someone who knew talent and could hit on successful draft picks.

Jimmy is not leaving his fishing boat. He is living a dream life. Why should he go back to work?

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Grigson demanded TRich start....to save face.

So what you're saying is.  Grigson knows that there are better RBs available that might help take the team to the SB..but he doesn't want to sign them or play the better ones he has on the roster because the public would see the contrast between those RBs and TRich and would know that he made a bad trade.....

...but that continuing to play a bad TRich in front of the public's eyes would fool people into thinking the trade was good

It isn't what I am saying happened... IT IS WHAT HAPPENED.   There is ZERO other reason to keep playing him when the back ups were consistently outperforming him when they ran behind the same line against the same team.  Look it up.  Many people here were outraged and vocal about the obviousness of Trent stinking it up compared to the back ups.  What other reason would there be?  I can't explain his stupidity on the matter, but I bet his teammates wondered the same thing... "why the heck is this guy still starting/playing?"  Kravitz simply puts his sources out to confirm what was patently obvious.

It is the same bullheaded idiocy that had him pull out Shipley who was performing well for Harrison who has never been good and seems to have gotten worse and directly led to Hasselbeck getting knocked out of the game on an ole block for a smashing hit.  He got rid of Shipley who now years later is still a favorite of a much much much smarter coach out in Arizona who uses him in all sorts of situations even though he has a far superior line than Indy has had in years.  Grigson wanted Shipley OUT because the same questions were being raised at the time.   Why are you playing a subpar player over a superior one to anyone's eyes who are paying attention.  These are not new topics nor should they be a revelation to you as you must have seen the posts at the time.  

On 1/1/2016 at 11:59 AM, mahagga73 said:

If he didn't try to be Jerome Bettis against the Broncos all this is a moot point. He stunk badly this year. A lot of it was pass protection and a lot of it was horrible decision making.  Luck has a huge part in this trainwreck. 

:facepalm::thmdown:

Who knows what's true, and what's only rumors.

Fact is that both have made their mistakes, and don't look very good right now.

Grigsons drafts, since the first where he was gifted a once in generation opportunity to draft a major QB talent like Luck, have been poor. To say the least.

Quite a few free agency signings have turned out less than impressive, and very few trades have really worked out.

+ T-Rich

Despite everyone in the world being able to see that the O-line was not nearly good enough at protecting the face of the franchise or opening lanes for the RB's, it's still not working.

Now Pagano shares the blame on some of these points,

Clearly, or hopefully I should say. a HC and a GM works together on the draft and offseason. If not, something is fundamentally wrong. I simply cannot imagine a HC wanting a D-Lineman or a linebacker and the GM picking a WR in the first round.

The insistance on running the ball a lot despite not having a great RB and an O-line that didn't work, seemed bewildering at times the past couple of seasons.

This season would have been a different story had Luck been fit, no doubt. Whoever is left in the building when the planning for next season begins, needs to realise that keeping Luck healthy and on the field is the most important thing for the team.

Personally I would like to start over with a new HC and a new GM. If I was to pick one who would stay, I would keep Pagano. I'm done with Grigson, and have been for a long time.

TRich Topic,

It was mind blowing that they kept playing him over and over and over with inexplicably poor results.  At some point you have to cut your losses and they just didn't seem willing to do that.  That's on Pagano, no matter what someone above him tells him or "suggests", he is the coach of TRich, he makes the decisions on-the-field and no one else.  I think it's just the Pagano "players coach" trying to give a guy every chance in the world since he came with so much hype and supposed talent.  But it was another one of his many coaching fails.  It was on the job training at the expense of the Colts.  Pagano was deer-in-the-headlights starting with the Ravens playoff game.  But to actually hire a coach with zero head-coaching experience, very little Defensive Coordinator experience who inherited great defensive talent, and pretty much was just a DB's coach, is on Irsay.

It's eye opening how one position more so than all others can cause such a trickle effect; it conjures discontent among not only the organization but the fans and media as well. This is all less than one year away from an AFC Championship Game and being the consensus pick to make a run at that all coveted Trophy and Ring. I will state it plainly: the injury of Andrew Luck has caused us to put a microscope in front of a unforgiving eye, Trent Richardson trade still haunts us so does The Wraith know to all as Vontae Davis. My humble opinion doesn't hold any sway in these Five Points; whatever the Owner and his family decide I can only realize these are people making what they believe to be their best decision for their livelihood: all of us can relate, now add the pressure of a City. Appreciate the struggle understand the hustle.

14 hours ago, JPFolks said:

It isn't what I am saying happened... IT IS WHAT HAPPENED.   There is ZERO other reason to keep playing him when the back ups were consistently outperforming him when they ran behind the same line against the same team.  Look it up.  Many people here were outraged and vocal about the obviousness of Trent stinking it up compared to the back ups.  What other reason would there be?  I can't explain his stupidity on the matter, but I bet his teammates wondered the same thing... "why the heck is this guy still starting/playing?"  Kravitz simply puts his sources out to confirm what was patently obvious.

It is the same bullheaded idiocy that had him pull out Shipley who was performing well for Harrison who has never been good and seems to have gotten worse and directly led to Hasselbeck getting knocked out of the game on an ole block for a smashing hit.  He got rid of Shipley who now years later is still a favorite of a much much much smarter coach out in Arizona who uses him in all sorts of situations even though he has a far superior line than Indy has had in years.  Grigson wanted Shipley OUT because the same questions were being raised at the time.   Why are you playing a subpar player over a superior one to anyone's eyes who are paying attention.  These are not new topics nor should they be a revelation to you as you must have seen the posts at the time.  

You and Kravitz's sources said that his motivation for demanding that TRich start was to save face.  That's not a fact, that is an opinion.... held by you and many others apparently.

I just don't see where a grown up man would think that starting an inferior first round draft pick player over a better player would help him save face.  Especially, since he apparently has never demanded that Werner start. 

Its more likely that he wanted TRich to start because there were no better options on the roster considering the injury history of the other RBs on the roster the two years TR started, DBrown and Bradshaw...and then he'd have to go find another RB.....who is likely inferior to the RBs he already had.

5 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

TRich Topic,

It was mind blowing that they kept playing him over and over and over with inexplicably poor results.  At some point you have to cut your losses and they just didn't seem willing to do that.  That's on Pagano, no matter what someone above him tells him or "suggests", he is the coach of TRich, he makes the decisions on-the-field and no one else.  I think it's just the Pagano "players coach" trying to give a guy every chance in the world since he came with so much hype and supposed talent.  But it was another one of his many coaching fails.  It was on the job training at the expense of the Colts.  Pagano was deer-in-the-headlights starting with the Ravens playoff game.  But to actually hire a coach with zero head-coaching experience, very little Defensive Coordinator experience who inherited great defensive talent, and pretty much was just a DB's coach, is on Irsay.

That is NOT what is being reported.  Grigson has been accused by multiple reporters with inside contacts to be making decisions on who plays and forcing them on Pagano.  Apparently he was essentially calling all the personnel shots.  And there's really nothing else to explain what we all saw.