Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cutting it close...

Detectacon

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to watch this season knowing that a trip to the playoffs will do nothing but ensure an early exit.  I'd almost rather this team go 0-4 for the next four games and get some decent draft positioning for 2016 so we can trade back a few times.  This team has holes all over the defense and an offensive line that was abused tonight.  We're not winning anything this year but the AFC crown...if that.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Blue said:

It's hard to watch this season knowing that a trip to the playoffs will do nothing but ensure an early exit.  I'd almost rather this team go 0-4 for the next four games and get some decent draft positioning for 2016 so we can trade back a few times.  This team has holes all over the defense and an offensive line that was abused tonight.  We're not winning anything this year but the AFC crown...if that.

People said the same stuff last year. We wound up in the AFCCG. Giving up on the season is stupid.

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

If we have a good enough record to be a wildcard we will win the division.

That's just it. If Houston won today we would be out (at this point). Pittsburgh is a game better and Buffalo is 6-6 with a head to head win against us. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

People said the same stuff last year. We wound up in the AFCCG. Giving up on the season is stupid.

To be fair, the team, more specifically Andrew Luck, was playing better last year than this year. Last year was much more encouraging even though we didn't expect to do much.  

2 minutes ago, James said:

To be fair, the team, more specifically Andrew Luck, was playing better last year than this year. Last year was much more encouraging even though we didn't expect to do much.  

Andrew Luck was actually playing last year.

Better QB play probably gives us a fighting chance in this game tonight. If Luck and Chud can put together performances like the Broncos game, the team might be able to do something. I said earlier, the defense was decent early in this game. Several potentially game changing plays that we failed to capitalize on.

Chuck also missed at least two opportunities to go for it on 4th down, situations where I think he might go for it with Luck on the field.

I'm not holding my breath for the Colts to go on a tear this postseason, but it wouldn't be the first time a team stumbled through the regular season, benefited from a bad division, and then made noise in the playoffs. The Giants have done it twice, the Cardinals did it, we did it last year. Play to win, that's all I'm saying. Worry about making the roster better in the offseason. Until then, anything can happen.

21 minutes ago, Bleedin Blue said:

You could have 10 first round draft picks and all ten could get hurt.  That's the problem we've been having, rampant injuries, just like every other team.  Did you see what a joke New England had to put on the field today?  It's reality.  Every top team is one play away from losing a QB or key player that will end their season.  Wishing for draft picks (you're really only talking a few spots higher or lower in the draft, I would much rather get a ticket to play than to be watching on the sidelines and hoping we don't miss on our first pick.  Keep in mind that the real difference between having the first and 32nd pick is 1 player.  After that initial player the 32nd drafting team picks ahead of the 1st drafting team.  So let's not give away our ticket to the big dance on the hopes that a single draft pick will change our entire team.  Would that joke that Houston drafted first help us right now? Nope. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I was beginning to wonder if you'd forgotten your lines.

guess I want the best possible chance for the best pass rusher for the team that ya know has absolutly ZERO pass rush. I guess picking at 14 to 16  isn't better then 21 to 23 nowadays 

Houston has a pretty nasty schedule to finish including the Pats next week.  Anyone really think Brady and company loses three straight?  Me either.  If the Colts can find away to beat the Jags and the Texans lose that means the Colts can elimate them from the division title race with a win at home against them the following week. That also happens to be the game they expect to have Andrew back.  

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

guess I want the best possible chance for the best pass rusher for the team that ya know has absolutly ZERO pass rush. I guess picking at 14 to 16  isn't better then 21 to 23 nowadays 

Calling for your team to pack up on a season that isn't over is being a quitter, and is not better than going to the playoffs, regardless of draft position.

Of course, this does not surprise me. You wanted to tank the season in Week 3.

24 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

You could have 10 first round draft picks and all ten could get hurt.  That's the problem we've been having, rampant injuries, just like every other team.  Did you see what a joke New England had to put on the field today?  It's reality.  Every top team is one play away from losing a QB or key player that will end their season.  Wishing for draft picks (you're really only talking a few spots higher or lower in the draft, I would much rather get a ticket to play than to be watching on the sidelines and hoping we don't miss on our first pick.  Keep in mind that the real difference between having the first and 32nd pick is 1 player.  After that initial player the 32nd drafting team picks ahead of the 1st drafting team.  So let's not give away our ticket to the big dance on the hopes that a single draft pick will change our entire team.  Would that joke that Houston drafted first help us right now? Nope. 

I think you and Superman just see a different team out there than I do...and I'm not talking about tonight.  I'm talking about this entire season.  There are things lurking under the surface even in our wins.  The season still needs to be played out, but as a fan it's hard to watch so I'm focused on what I enjoy...learning about the best college kids that are going to be coming out this next year.  One thing to keep in mind JPFolks...it's not just the first pick that gains positioning...it's every pick in the draft in every round that is higher.  Plus I'm advocating for trading back so this team can get some better depth.  It does make a difference.  I personally feel that Grigson needs to focus more on building through the draft.  He has a good eye for young talent.  I'm not sure he's as good with established players. Too many times he's gone after guys that other teams have let walk and the results are starting to speak for themselves.  

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Andrew Luck was actually playing last year.

Better QB play probably gives us a fighting chance in this game tonight. If Luck and Chud can put together performances like the Broncos game, the team might be able to do something. I said earlier, the defense was decent early in this game. Several potentially game changing plays that we failed to capitalize on.

Chuck also missed at least two opportunities to go for it on 4th down, situations where I think he might go for it with Luck on the field.

I'm not holding my breath for the Colts to go on a tear this postseason, but it wouldn't be the first time a team stumbled through the regular season, benefited from a bad division, and then made noise in the playoffs. The Giants have done it twice, the Cardinals did it, we did it last year. Play to win, that's all I'm saying. Worry about making the roster better in the offseason. Until then, anything can happen.

Good points

8 hours ago, Bleedin Blue said:

I personally feel that Grigson needs to focus more on building through the draft.  He has a good eye for young talent.  I'm not sure he's as good with established players. Too many times he's gone after guys that other teams have let walk and the results are starting to speak for themselves.  

This is why I don't believe in the whole "give up this season and rebuild for next year" mantra. Grigson doesn't seem to put as much focus on the draft. He searches for the diamond in the rough free agents.

9 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah fortunately Houston plays the Patriots because I don't know if this team will make it past Jacksonville next week.  It's going to be difficult to win there.  

The Pats team Houston is playing on Sunday is beat up and on a two game losing streak. Don't assume a Houston loss.

3 minutes ago, azcolt said:

The Pats team Houston is playing on Sunday is beat up and on a two game losing streak. Don't assume a Houston loss.

Yep. No guarantee with this game especially if Gronk is still out. Toughest game of the year for the Pats IMO given how injured they are and on the road. I feel a little bit better given how Buffalo did vs them but the Pats will not have that type of run game.

1 minute ago, amfootball said:

Yep. No guarantee with this game especially if Gronk is still out. Toughest game of the year for the Pats IMO given how injured they are and on the road. I feel a little bit better given how Buffalo did vs them but the Pats will not have that type of run game.

I don't know about that.  I think Blount will have a big day on them especially out of the power formations.  They are really not that great of a run defending team.  We pretty much ran at will on Houston.  I think Brady will have the play action pass at his disposal.      Now as for Houston I think Hoyer is going to find some things in the passing game against New England.

We were going to lose at Pittsburgh since the day the schedule was made last summer.  The rest of the season is winnable.

And if we get Pitt at home during the playoffs, we might be able to convert fumbles into TDs, and run Gore more during the entire game.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We were going to lose at Pittsburgh since the day the schedule was made last summer.  The rest of the season is winnable.

And if we get Pitt at home during the playoffs, we might be able to convert fumbles into TDs, and run Gore more during the entire game.

In some ways I don't think we made enough use of the running game in this one.  Very little play action and Gore was running well.  Main issue though is Hasslebeck played like a dog .  I think we can beat Pitt, but number one we have to have Luck in the saddle and number 2 the offense has to produce at the level we know it can both running and passing.  We had more than our fair share of opportunities in this game and we did not take advantage.  I'm always optimistic, but I didn't feel real strong we could beat Pitt and that was mainly because we aren't scoring enough points with Hasslebeck.  It's even worse when he's turning the ball over.

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Houston has a pretty nasty schedule to finish including the Pats next week.  Anyone really think Brady and company loses three straight?  Me either.  If the Colts can find away to beat the Jags and the Texans lose that means the Colts can elimate them from the division title race with a win at home against them the following week. That also happens to be the game they expect to have Andrew back.  

With all the serious injuries the Pats have taken and keep taking they are at the point where they don't even have any talent anymore other than Brady.  They just don't have any weapons at any of the skill positions period.   With that being said I still think they have enough fight and cohesiveness left to beat Houston.  They proved that to me with their comeback against Philly who I think has a better secondary than the Texans.   I'm real scared we won't beat Jacksonville if we have to go with Whitehurst as the QB.  I never imagined in my wildest dreams we would be at this point going into this Jags game.     Heck we barely squeaked out a win even when we had Hasslebeck in there.   This is just killing me!  It really is...........

The crazy thing is, if the Pats take care of business next week versus the Texans, and if the Colts can summon their inner Titans this coming week, thus defeating Jacksonville, in two weeks time, with Luck maybe back in the line-up, and the Texans in town, if the Colts beat Houston, the Colts clinch the division championship!

Given the debacle against the Steelers last nigh, one is not left optimistic heading into the playoffs, but it's a new season and a team just has to get hot for 4 games, kinda like the 2006 Colts did, after getting gashed repeatedly late in that season.

Colts beat Jaguars, Pats beat Texans, then if Colts beat Texans, anything is possible in the playoffs!

9 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I just wanted whatever it takes to get Grigson fired if that's miss the playoffs then so be it 

Yeah seriously who in the hell wastes a pick on a future inactive in Bjoern Werner-this team, Grigson and Pagano * me off so much. Idk how long I can last watching this team I'm tired

1 hour ago, amfootball said:

I agree, on the road against Houston with a banged up team is no easy win (especially without Gronkowski).

10 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It isn't really any better, because it doesn't mean that you actually make the playoffs. The proof is in the pudding. The same teams end up in the playoffs every year for the AFC, and it's never the teams who pick in the top ten. It's always NE, IND, DEN, CIN/PIT/BAL, etc. If picking higher is so much better, than how come the best teams in the AFC are always the guys that are picking in the high 20s?

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It isn't really any better, because it doesn't mean that you actually make the playoffs. The proof is in the pudding. The same teams end up in the playoffs every year for the AFC, and it's never the teams who pick in the top ten. It's always NE, IND, DEN, CIN/PIT/BAL, etc. If picking higher is so much better, than how come the best teams in the AFC are always the guys that are picking in the high 20s?

They make the playoffs cause they have a QB if we pick high next year it don't mean we turn into the jags it means we have a chance at getting more talent in one draft like in 2012 

22 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

They make the playoffs cause they have a QB if we pick high next year it don't mean we turn into the jags it means we have a chance at getting more talent in one draft like in 2012 

Maybe we could get more talent, but in saying that you're assuming that all the picks turn out to be homeruns AND are able stay healthy, which is a long shot for any prospect. I'd still rather get into the playoffs, and pick in the 20s, than fold the rest of the season and play for a draft pick.