Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's how you fix the Colts

danlhart87

I say get rid of both coordinators and Grigson.  I don't think Pagano is a HOF coach but I think he's a solid coach.  I think he deserves a year without Grigson and two new coordinators. 

Manusky has been better this year. The offense has screwed over the defense. Pep is who needs to be fired and Grigson could help Pagano have more freedom

I still fail to understand the basis for firing Grigson.  He is the GM.  He is responsible for player personnel, not the HC or any coordinator.  The talent has gotten better each year, this year especially notable at the DL where all four new additions have contributed very much...Anderson, Parry, Langford, and even Winn.  Grigson still gets blamed for signing Toler, but doesn't get credit for adding those DL players. There is some sort of bias going on that I have yet to identify.

He missed on Werner, and I'm sure the TRich trade had the blessings of the HC and owner. Every GM misses some draft picks.

Grigson isn't responsible for gameplanning opponents, or calling plays, or learning the checkdown, or clock management, or choosing who to throw the ball to.  All of those things are more at the root of the problems than is Grigson's personnel moves.

I still fail to understand the basis for firing Grigson.  He is the GM.  He is responsible for player personnel, not the HC or any coordinator.  The talent has gotten better each year, this year especially notable at the DL where all four new additions have contributed very much...Anderson, Parry, Langford, and even Winn.  Grigson still gets blamed for signing Toler, but doesn't get credit for adding those DL players. There is some sort of bias going on that I have yet to identify.

He missed on Werner, and I'm sure the TRich trade had the blessings of the HC and owner. Every GM misses some draft picks.

Grigson isn't responsible for gameplanning opponents, or calling plays, or learning the checkdown, or clock management, or choosing who to throw the ball to.  All of those things are more at the root of the problems than is Grigson's personnel moves.

The basis for getting rid of Grigson would be if, as rumors have it, he hired Pep over the objections of Pagano. If that is true then he is responsible for what is going on with the offense. Only the upper management knows for sure.

Nailed it. As far as our starting secondary goes, 3 out of 4 isn't bad. Davis, Lowery, and Adams have all been very good, with Toler being the odd man out. The d-line is much improved this season, and even the LBs are playing far better football than they did last year. Firing Grigson just to "send a message" would be a mistake in my opinion, there's literally nothing to be gained from it. We're not going to all the sudden be world-beaters by canning the GM mid-season, so I say let him have another draft, with Irsay STRONGLY suggesting that we stack o-line depth, and go from there.

Man honestly, fire him, keep him, exile him. It doesn't really matter. What matters is an organization where everyone is working together. No matter who they decide to keep or let go if we are not working in unity then it won't matter much. Case in point see San Francisco. Once the GM and owner were against the HC it all fell apart. It trickled down to the players and it made it's way onto the field.

What will fix the Colts is this........ownership who picks a GM it trusts to run the team. A GM who picks a coach and works with a coach for personnel they both agree will make this team better. A coach who trusts his GM to get him the talent he needs and a coach who coaches up the developmental players he gets from his GM. And finally a staff in line with the head coach who believe in his football philosophy and who coach their respective assignments accordingly.

The basis for getting rid of Grigson would be if, as rumors have it, he hired Pep over the objections of Pagano. If that is true then he is responsible for what is going on with the offense. Only the upper management knows for sure.

Well, that has some mixed meanings.  Objections of Pagano...like Chuck didn't want him at all, or that he merely wasn't Chuck's first choice?  Maybe his first choice was unworkable.  Pagano seems to be the kind of coach that is immersed in his players and coaching and knows little about contracts and structure.

Grigs has fired many of his hires, in terms of players.  I just don't understand the motivation of Grigson to keep Pep out of spite or ego when he has shown the ability to be humble in letting go players he had drafted and signed.

It just doesn't make any sense to me to believe those reported rumors of his unyielding decisions....it would mean that he is treating Pep differently than other decisions he's made.

I also realized a miswrote something.  I wrote that "Grigson is only responsible for player personnel and not the HC or OC"  I meant that he is not responsible for how the HC or OC do their jobs on a weekly basis.  Obviously he is responsible for hiring them.

I simply meant that the guys closer to the field are more responsible for poor play than is a GM, so I would blame the player, then the coaches, then the HC, then the GM in that order.

Edit:  And now that I read my post that you quoted again, I'm not even sure what I meant by that sentence......nevermind.

There's no reason to keep Pagano while getting rid of Grigson.  Unless we're signing him to a long term extension and giving him the organizational control to pick his own personnel guy.  Any new GM is gonna want to pick his own coach, and Pagano would be gone within a year anyway

So, Im not suggesting that I know the answer to this either but.. I think we all know that "Starting Slow" has been a theme with this team since this new era began in 2012. If coming out totally unprepared, in addition to our severe penalty problems, isn't on Pagano, then who is it on? I like Pagano but those are coaching issues right there. 

I also realized a miswrote something.  I wrote that "Grigson is only responsible for player personnel and not the HC or OC"  I meant that he is not responsible for how the HC or OC do their jobs on a weekly basis.  Obviously he is responsible for hiring them.

I simply meant that the guys closer to the field are more responsible for poor play than is a GM, so I would blame the player, then the coaches, then the HC, then the GM in that order.

Edit:  And now that I read my post that you quoted again, I'm not even sure what I meant by that sentence......nevermind.

I actually don't think Grigson is as bad as some of the posters on here do with regard to picking players in the draft.

I would believe Grigson to be a bad GM if he did hire Pep when Pagano did not want him as OC. That to me would be a very poor management style, but again only if he did that, which we do not know for certain.

So, Im not suggesting that I know the answer to this either but.. I think we all know that "Starting Slow" has been a theme with this team since this new era began in 2012. If coming out totally unprepared, in addition to our severe penalty problems, isn't on Pagano, then who is it on? I like Pagano but those are coaching issues right there. 

Dang it.  I thought "Colts Strong" and/or "Chuck Strong" were the themes.   :^)

I am glad you are not the owner or GM.

Why? You don't want one of the best guards in the NFL and a double digit sack OLB? Or the best Tackle available in the 1st and the best Center in the 2nd? How could you not be down with that. That clearly addresses and actually fixes our two biggest weaknesses. OL and OLB. LOL. I don't get it. Had you rather give out a smaller contract to a lesser guard than to give out a big contract to a pro bowl guard? Or are you like Grigson and just hope our line fixes itself and not make a move at all, then next year to be a repeat of this year? I mean man we have to get a star double digit sack OLB and we have to fix the OL if we want to have a Super Bowl caliber team.

The offensive line has been bad since Manning's last playing season with the Colts.  The fact that Grigson has not only failed to improve it, but arguably let it get worse is reason enough to fire him.  He continues to put the issue on the backburner and tries to fix it with affordably price FA players instead of drafting one that can play in front of Luck for years to come like Polian did with Manning.   If you ask most NFL analysts what your first priorities to building a team would be getting a Quarterback, protecting the QB and then building a pass rush in that order.  Grigson has only effectively done one of these things and it was no brainer that was more than likely already decided by Irsay. 

1. Fire Hamilton and Grigson

2. Make Chud the OC

3. Hire DeCosta from Ravens as GM

4. Keep Pagano

Do this and we are in better shape!

I just don't think Pagano has "the right stuff".  Bring Polian back as a staff fulfillment advisor without his son.  He will have that overly loose exec. staff & club-house dry-cleaned and pressed in no time.  He will hire the right coach & GM for next year and clean up all the oil spills that these coaches and GM left all over 56th street.  Heck, if he can't find a GM, he can be our interim GM for 2016 until he finds "the right stuff".  It would be no different than hiring someone like Bill Parcells as a consultant to do something like that.  I just don't think Irsay is fully in touch with all the pieces and parts that it takes to do this. Look at the dumpster fire that IS Jerry Jones, albeit he "thinks" he is a GM..  PFFFFT (At least Irsay knows better).  I'm not saying Grigson didn't do anything good for us, he indeed did.  But he has made too many bad decisions that have really cost us dearly that outweigh the good he did in that first year.  Remember, Polian got us to two Super Bowls and darn close to 4.  (How close are we to one now?)  I do like CHUD as OC.  If he proves his mettle, and as a war planes guy, I say we call him THUNDER-CHUD!

Why? You don't want one of the best guards in the NFL and a double digit sack OLB? Or the best Tackle available in the 1st and the best Center in the 2nd? How could you not be down with that. That clearly addresses and actually fixes our two biggest weaknesses. OL and OLB. LOL. I don't get it. Had you rather give out a smaller contract to a lesser guard than to give out a big contract to a pro bowl guard? Or are you like Grigson and just hope our line fixes itself and not make a move at all, then next year to be a repeat of this year? I mean man we have to get a star double digit sack OLB and we have to fix the OL if we want to have a Super Bowl caliber team.

I think the comment was made in response to your comment. You make your comment like it's so easy just snap your fingers and it will magically happen.

The free agent signings aren't bad, although a guard is not needed when you have two good, young and still improving guards on the roster.  But to spend a first round pick on a RT is foolish and then to spend a 2nd round pick on a back-up center is even more so.  And considering the oline has been playing really well it's not one of the biggest weaknesses.  Look for the a starting RT in rounds 2 thru 4 and a back up center in rounds 3-7.  

When you look at the roster in the next 2 to 5 years the Colts will be looking to replace two safeties(one replacement is on the roster in Geathers), two ILBs, an OLB and a RT, so the first 4 rounds should be focused on that unless some top 5 talents lands in their lap.

That is why I'm glad you are not the GM, your focus is, incorrect, IMO and too narrowly focused... a GM that only focuses on the current year for the draft will only be able to do that for a couple of years before he's replaced.

I just don't think Pagano has "the right stuff".  Bring Polian back as a staff fulfillment advisor without his son.  He will have that overly loose exec. staff & club-house dry-cleaned and pressed in no time.  He will hire the right coach & GM for next year and clean up all the oil spills that these coaches and GM left all over 56th street.  Heck, if he can't find a GM, he can be our interim GM for 2016 until he finds "the right stuff".  It would be no different than hiring someone like Bill Parcells as a consultant to do something like that.  I just don't think Irsay is fully in touch with all the pieces and parts that it takes to do this. Look at the dumpster fire that IS Jerry Jones, albeit he "thinks" he is a GM..  PFFFFT (At least Irsay knows better).  I'm not saying Grigson didn't do anything good for us, he indeed did.  But he has made too many bad decisions that have really cost us dearly that outweigh the good he did in that first year.  Remember, Polian got us to two Super Bowls and darn close to 4.  (How close are we to one now?)  I do like CHUD as OC.  If he proves his mettle, and as a war planes guy, I say we call him THUNDER-CHUD!

If that is the way you want to look at things then why don't you want to give Grigson credit for making the AFC championship game in his 3rd. year when it took Polian 8 years? Also the Cowboys and the Dolphins did hire Parcells to be an advisor and how did that work out at the time?

If that is the way you want to look at things then why don't you want to give Grigson credit for making the AFC championship game in his 3rd. year when it took Polian 8 years? Also the Cowboys and the Dolphins did hire Parcells to be an advisor and how did that work out at the time?

are you forgetting what Polians track record was before he boarded our train? And Parcells went from 1-15 to 11-5 in one season with the Dolphins so that seems to be pretty note-worthy and the train-wreck that is Jerry Jones contributed to those situations with the Cowboys.  

are you forgetting what Polians track record was before he boarded our train? And Parcells went from 1-15 to 11-5 in one season with the Dolphins so that seems to be pretty note-worthy and the train-wreck that is Jerry Jones contributed to those situations with the Cowboys.  

You are making my point for me. Polians track record before joining the Colts. What was Grigsons track record before joining the Colts? Parcells did turn the Dolphins around in one year. But did he do that with a pretty much rebuilt team that was full of rookies to three 11-5 seasons? No.

You are making my point for me. Polians track record before joining the Colts. What was Grigsons track record before joining the Colts? Parcells did turn the Dolphins around in one year. But did he do that with a pretty much rebuilt team that was full of rookies to three 11-5 seasons? No.

6 games of 16 each year during triple 11-5 seasons in AFC South.  Polian built us up mainly through the draft.  All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to have him come in and help plan a strategy for next year.  We are going to be 3-6 very soon and heading to Atlanta. I also gave Grigson credit, "I'm not saying Grigson didn't do anything good for us, he indeed did."

6 games of 16 each year during triple 11-5 seasons in AFC South.  Polian built us up mainly through the draft.  All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to have him come in and help plan a strategy for next year.  We are going to be 3-6 very soon and heading to Atlanta. I also gave Grigson credit, "I'm not saying Grigson didn't do anything good for us, he indeed did."

I understand your mindset on this but why would Irsay want anything to do with Polian? Irsay fired him and Polian has had nothing but distain and hatred aimed at the Colts since he was fired. It is apparent in his comments and constant digs at the Colts. Polian has never taken anything negative about himself very well. One thing that can be said between the difference between Grigson and Polian is at least Grigson moves on from his mistakes and continues to make efforts in getting the right players in where Polian would never admit he made a mistake and hold on to players while at the same time over paying them. Grigson has never come close to putting the Colts cap space in the shape that Polian did. Matter of fact Grigson took care of Polian's cap space hades at the same time earning GM of the year.

6 games of 16 each year during triple 11-5 seasons in AFC South. Polian built us up mainly through the draft. All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to have him come in and help plan a strategy for next year. We are going to be 3-6 very soon and heading to Atlanta. I also gave Grigson credit, "I'm not saying Grigson didn't do anything good for us, he indeed did."

we could very well be 4-5 Broncos aren't that damn good on offense and thier defense can be beaten hell even the raiders almost beat them be optimistic bro