Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I hope D'Joun Smith learns how to play outside

indyspeed13

Agreed.  Toler has been trash this season and is highly overrated. 

Gruden last night called Toler "A shut down man corner".... I damn near spit out my bourbon... which would have been a horrible travesty! 

Q: What is worse than watching Toler get his butt beat?

A: Wasting bourbon

You guys don't give Toler enough credit. He is most definitely an above average corner and I feel like he's finally getting his footing and back into playing shape. Let's see how he fairs against two of the NFLs best WR next week.

lol what.... Even butler has gotten his act together they pass on toler 95% of the game if they decide not to pick on Jackson

Agreed.  Toler has been trash this season and is highly overrated. 

Gruden last night called Toler "A shut down man corner".... I damn near spit out my bourbon... which would have been a horrible travesty! 

Well Gruden gets wayyyyy too enthusiastic for every player he gives praise to, so there's that lol.

Yes he's such an annoying commentator

Yep, no doubt about that. I usually watch the Gruden QB Camp just to get in the spirit of the NFL Draft season, but even on there he makes it seem like every guy he sits with will be an all-star. Just his personality I guess.

Greg Toler is awful. He got picked on all night and couldn't make a play. If he is above average, the quality of corners in the NFL is pathetic.

He's above average.  He does get picked on, mainly because they throw away from Vontae.  Although last night Davis got beat a few times too.

Overall, as a whole, the D played well.  Especially considering the position the offense left them in for a lot of the game.

He's above average. He does get picked on, mainly because they throw away from Vontae. Although last night Davis got beat a few times too.

Overall, as a whole, the D played well. Especially considering the position the offense left them in for a lot of the game.

I stopped reading when you said above average. He is below average

I don't know if it's Toler or what they are asking him to do. But on 3rd and 4 you don't play 10 damn yards off your guy. He has a play here and there but he has more bad plays

I keep saying why are we playing bump and run guys 10 yards off inside the red zone at the very least but why at anytime play bump and run guys off the ball. We don't do enough jamming of receivers. That's on coaching because we have guys that can do it but don't. Very irritating to watch

I keep saying why are we playing bump and run guys 10 yards off inside the red zone at the very least but why at anytime play bump and run guys off the ball. We don't do enough jamming of receivers. That's on coaching because we have guys that can do it but don't. Very irritating to watch

Good way to distrupt the timing and help our pass rush. But what the heck do we know lol

Toler is the only corner in the league to get flamed while playing 15 yds off

Toler is the only corner in the league to get flamed while playing 15 yds off

Yes!I remember pointing at the t.v and yelling "dude,why are you backing up 22 feet!?"But can he actually hang step for step in tight man?

You guys don't give Toler enough credit. He is most definitely an above average corner and I feel like he's finally getting his footing and back into playing shape. Let's see how he fairs against two of the NFLs best WR next week.

Disagree. I was a defender of Toler last year but he's been horrible this year.

Good way to distrupt the timing and help our pass rush. But what the heck do we know lol

They play bump and run, but you can't always. And when you walk a safety into the box, someone has to back off because you'll have no depth to your defense. It's not just Toler, everyone plays some off man at times. 

Actually Vontae gave up the loss Mon night.  He was getting burned by their tight end and gave up at least 1 late TD. He seemed 2 steps slow all game, and must be hurt.

Yes, I think both he and Toler are playing injured. But so are half the guys in the league. I guess the coaches have to determined if an injured version of their starter is still better than the backup.

They play bump and run, but you can't always. And when you walk a safety into the box, someone has to back off because you'll have no depth to your defense. It's not just Toler, everyone plays some off man at times.

I know. It just seems like they do dumb stuff at critical times. Like playing 10 years off your man on 3 and 4 drives me nuts. But given Toler he could play right and get roasted for a TD lol

I know. It just seems like they do dumb stuff at critical times. Like playing 10 years off your man on 3 and 4 drives me nuts. But given Toler he could play right and get roasted for a TD lol

Problem is we're vulnerable in the middle. Have to commit safeties to coverage, which means a corner has to drop. But we could be a little more balanced in how we line up, rather than giving up so much cushion. And you're right, Toler has been getting cooked since he got back. He was much better last year (and he got cooked plenty then). 

So far, Smith is all mouth and no demonstrated talent.

Do we really think he can make a difference out there as an over-confident (without reason) rookie?

Well hopefully In preseason he got himself a huge piece of humble pie. This isn't college bruh. I like the confidence but don't get cocky and make yourself look like a fool. He has some growing pains.

He's above average.  He does get picked on, mainly because they throw away from Vontae.  Although last night Davis got beat a few times too.

Overall, as a whole, the D played well.  Especially considering the position the offense left them in for a lot of the game.

I couldn't have said what I seen in that  game better. :thmup: by the way when the secondary is fully healthy we will see Davis and Toler jamming WRs  , that's when they are both at best.

So far, Smith is all mouth and no demonstrated talent.

Do we really think he can make a difference out there as an over-confident (without reason) rookie?

To be fair, Wayne's got torched in pre-season too. And Landon Collins looks terrible. DB is a hard position to play. Patrick Peterson's been getting cooked for 5 years.....but that's another story.