Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comparing 2015 Andrew Luck to '12, '13, and '14....

NewColtsFan

.....   and the comparison is not pretty.

The numbers say Luck is having his worst year -- by far.

The numbers aren't just a little bit off,  they're way off.

This is a non-premium ESPN story.....   so you can click on it,  and simply scroll down.

There are a number of categories and Luck's numbers are down in every one -- significantly.

To me,  this is on Pep.       There may be other reasons involved....   Luck's injury,  poor OL play,  inconsistent running game,  etc.....

But I think the #1 issue is Pep.     I'm sorry to be negative about him.....   he's a Stanford guy and I was hoping for better.....    but I'm not seeing it yet....   

Here's the story.....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/14327/throwing-the-ball-longer-than-10-yards-continues-to-be-a-problem-for-andrew-luck

Luck is fine. Its several things honestly. Yes. Pep Hamilton is a big one. Then the terrible offensive line that our genius general manager has constructed is another. (Also the reason he got hurt). Andrew Luck is fine. He's made some mistakes, INT's and such but those should go away with time AND a FIXED O-Line.  He's got to realize he cant save every play and learn to throw the ball away sometimes. Luck will be one of the best QB's in the league for the next several years.

Still plenty of season left. The first two games Luck spent on his back, then got injured game three, missed the next two games and came back and actually played pretty well against the best team in the AFC contrary to what many say on this board. Luck can improve but I shoulder a lot of the blame on Pep and Pagano.

Pagano stated he's the one that wanted to start running a "up tempo," in the second half, especially after the worlds dumbest play in the Patriots game. They hardly ran the ball in the second. I'm not sure if Pagano was taking the blame for Pep or not with regards to changing how the offense played in the second. If they continue to improve every week who knows what can happen.

I think the offense will get better eventually but the D is atrocious. The only thing that looks good is the big guys up front with regards to stopping the run. The D can't generate a pass rush, which in turn makes the backfield look atrocious. People are injured every week. This is a pi$$ poor D. Good news is there is still much room for improvement on their side.

In the end it's a long season.

we wondered for 3 years how long Andrew could take the hits he'd been taking and not have it affect him.

This year, we found out.

The Luck we saw last week against New England was plenty good. I'm not worried about the QB

We just need to limit the breakaway plays against us...

When QBs win, we rate the stats..

When they roll up big stats...we knock them for lack of wins..

What is our record with Andrew Luck at QB. ?

It speaks for itself

we wondered for 3 years how long Andrew could take the hits he'd been taking and not have it affect him.

This year, we found out.

The Luck we saw last week against New England was plenty good. I'm not worried about the QB

We just need to limit the breakaway plays against us...

When QBs win, we rate the stats..

When they roll up big stats...we knock them for lack of wins..

What is our record with Andrew Luck at QB. ?

It speaks for itself

Yeah I will take 37-21 as a starter anyday being in year 4, plus he has 3 Playoff wins in just 3 Playoff appearances. We basically just cant beat NE yet but eventually it will happen. Andrew has fathertime on his side compared to Tom.

I wish people would stop blaming everyone else for Luck playing poorly. It's on him. He'll turn it around, and is still learning the game. He is not a robot.

Agree braveheart Luck still needs to get rid of the ball and if there isn't a play throw it away. He did really well in the first half of the Pat's game then the second half he went back to his usual play. He will turn it around. JMO

Lol at everyone finding scapegoats.

True. Instead of looking at the whole picture and laying any blame on Luck, it's who can we point the finger at today. It's never giving any credit to the teams the Colts play. Because the Colts don't have all pro players at every position then someone needs to lose their job and be held accountable.

Still plenty of season left. The first two games Luck spent on his back, then got injured game three, missed the next two games and came back and actually played pretty well against the best team in the AFC contrary to what many say on this board. Luck can improve but I shoulder a lot of the blame on Pep and Pagano.

Pagano stated he's the one that wanted to start running a "up tempo," in the second half, especially after the worlds dumbest play in the Patriots game. They hardly ran the ball in the second. I'm not sure if Pagano was taking the blame for Pep or not with regards to changing how the offense played in the second. If they continue to improve every week who knows what can happen.

I think the offense will get better eventually but the D is atrocious. The only thing that looks good is the big guys up front with regards to stopping the run. The D can't generate a pass rush, which in turn makes the backfield look atrocious. People are injured every week. This is a pi$$ poor D. Good news is there is still much room for improvement on their side.

In the end it's a long season.

lol don't you love how Pagano said they wanted to be more uptempo in the second half yet they didn't go uptempo till 6 min left in the 4th. The only thing they did was revert to those dumb play calls from previous games.

Luck is fine. Its several things honestly. Yes. Pep Hamilton is a big one. Then the terrible offensive line that our genius general manager has constructed is another. (Also the reason he got hurt). Andrew Luck is fine. He's made some mistakes, INT's and such but those should go away with time AND a FIXED O-Line.  He's got to realize he cant save every play and learn to throw the ball away sometimes. Luck will be one of the best QB's in the league for the next several years.

Goodness.....   

I'm not talking about the next several years.

I'm talking about RIGHT NOW!     Hello?!?

And there's no part of Andrew Luck -- none, zero,  zip,  zilch -- that is....   fine.

He is not anywhere close to being himself.     He's a long, long way from fine.

Now, all that said,  that doesn't mean he won't be fine sometime this season.      But now?

If you think Luck is fine now,  then we're watching two completely different players.

IMO I think Luck has been pretty good outside of one game.

I thought he looked great last week.

Huh?

He was terrible in the Buffalo game.

Terrible in the NY Jets game.

He was terrible for the first 3 quarters of the Tennessee game.

He was more like his old self in the 4th quarter of the Titans game.

And he was OK,  but not all that good against the Pats.

Huh?

He was terrible in the Buffalo game.

Terrible in the NY Jets game.

He was terrible for the first 3 quarters of the Tennessee game.

He was more like his old self in the 4th quarter of the Titans game.

And he was OK, but not all that good against the Pats.

60% 300+ and 3 tds against the pats. I would call that pretty good

I wish people would stop blaming everyone else for Luck playing poorly. It's on him. He'll turn it around, and is still learning the game. He is not a robot.

I'm not saying Luck is blameless in his current situation.     Not at all.

But I think the majority of blame falls on Pep.     A good OC would not have put Luck into this funk, and a good OC would be able to get him out of this funk.\

I don't think Pep is up to the job.    And I hope I'm wrong......     I'd rather be wrong than right.

Luck didn't look very healthy...    he didn't look very decisive....    and his arm didn't look anywhere close to being 100%.

He often looked lost, confused and overwhelmed....      this is not the Luck we saw his first 3 years.

Cant really ask him to do anymore than what he did against the Pats. 300 Yards on 60%, 3 TD's and no INT's. We gave up 34 points and had one of the worst SPTeams blunders of all-time. Most of the time when you give up 34 you aren't winning. If Andrew plays like he did last Sunday I'll take that every week except I do think we need to run more, need more balance.

Goodness.....   

I'm not talking about the next several years.

I'm talking about RIGHT NOW!     Hello?!?

And there's no part of Andrew Luck -- none, zero,  zip,  zilch -- that is....   fine.

He is not anywhere close to being himself.     He's a long, long way from fine.

Now, all that said,  that doesn't mean he won't be fine sometime this season.      But now?

If you think Luck is fine now,  then we're watching two completely different players.

Yeah but like you said. I think a lot of its been on Pep. And I said Andrew will be fine. Or that's what I meant anyways. No he's played pretty badly, but again. A lot of that is because of Pep and the O-Line.

Luck didn't look very healthy... he didn't look very decisive.... and his arm didn't look anywhere close to being 100%.

He often looked lost, confused and overwhelmed.... this is not the Luck we saw his first 3 years.

Agreed, Luck was certainly not playing well in the second half. The pats dropped 3 or 4 interceptions in the second half if I recall right. He was better then the first few weeks but he was this close to having several turnovers again but they were drops. Something isn't right with him.

IMO I think Luck has been pretty good outside of one game.

I thought he looked great last week.

He looked good last week, particularly in the first half. 

However, he also missed high (very dangerous) on several occasions.  And he missed quite a few "open" receivers.

Those are the throws that are worrying me.  Perhaps the injury had/has something to do with those throws.

I feel crazy here.

Have people not seen other teams that have a crappy QB?

Andrew is fine and he isn't even 100%.

Yeah I know basically you have Brady and Rodgers who are Elite then you have a group when healthy in Andrew, Big Ben, Romo, Wilson - (see I am not hater), Cam, Brees, and I would still say Peyton as his team is 6-0, Dalton is finally a great year too, Eli, Ryan, Flacco and Rivers but after that the QB's drop off. Andrew is definitely top 10. There are a lot of inconsistent to even crappy QB's after about 15 or so.

Do people expect perfection out of Luck?

I'm confused.

That doesn't happen.

He's a good QB.

I think he's a great quarterback.....

But I think he's in a major slump right now.....

A bad combination of poor line play, a poor running game the first two weeks,  poor play calling,  and his injury.....     He doesn't look the same to me -- at all.

There may even be more to all this,   but this is not the Andrew Luck I watched his first 3 years in the NFL,  or his 3 years of playing at Stanford.    

This guy is pale imitation of the original.

Yep, even flipping Bob Kravitz & Mike Wells said he looked sharp. Luck has looked pretty good in his last 4 quarters of his play and I have no doubt his shoulder is still not 100%. He's looked good especially in the west coast, quick passes, dump offs ect.

When they run that 5-7 drop back crap, the pressure gets to him too quickly and he kind of gets that happy feet ala Manning and starts making bad throws/decisions. This OL can hardly protect against a 3-4 man pass rush when they start running that 5-7 step drop back junk. I feel the O is slowly improving so we'll get another good glimpse of them tomorrow. The D is absolute trash though, that's a different story. It's probably going to take 30 points to win tomorrow.

I think he's a great quarterback.....

But I think he's in a major slump right now.....

A bad combination of poor line play, a poor running game the first two weeks, poor play calling, and his injury..... He doesn't look the same to me -- at all.

There may even be more to all this, but this is not the Andrew Luck I watched his first 3 years in the NFL, or his 3 years of playing at Stanford.

This guy is pale imitation of the original.

Still plenty of season left, I'm sure he's his own biggest critic. Most QBs have some rough years throughout their careers, we saw it with Manning. Kaepernick, Wilson, Manning and other good QBs are sucking this year. This has been an aweful year for the NFL in general. It's on a NBA garbage level.

There are still 10 games left for the team to get better in every single aspect such as coaching, atrocious D and an offense that has been performing well under excpectations.

Still plenty of season left, I'm sure he's his own biggest critic. Most QBs have some rough years throughout their careers, we saw it with Manning. Kaepernick, Wilson, Manning and other good QBs are sucking this year. This has been an aweful year for the NFL in general. It's on a NBA garbage level.

There are still 10 games left for the team to get better in every single aspect such as coaching, atrocious D and an offense that has been performing well under excpectations.

That's my sincere hope too.     That things work themselves out and we get hot in November and get on a roll and keep it going right into the playoffs.

That's been done by teams before....     get hot late....    once you're in the playoffs,  if you're dealing a hot hand,  then most anything can happen....

vs. Jaguars.

– Did the offensive line really improve overnight (-16.9 pass block grade over the first three games compared to +5.7 on Sunday) or was it scheme and style that helped them look better? Probably the latter, starting with QB Matt Hasselbeck and his playing style compared to that of Andrew Luck. Hasselbeck is a steadfast decision-maker who gets rid of the ball much quicker than Luck (2.37 seconds in pocket was ninth-fastest in the NFL this week) as 72 percent of his passes were delivered in 2.5 seconds or less. Compare that to 2.6 seconds in the pocket for Luck and only 55 percent of his passes coming out in 2.5 seconds or less, and there’s a good indicator as to why Hasselbeck was pressured on only 10 of his 54 drop-backs.

Top Performers:

OG Jack Mewhort (+3.2)

OG Hugh Thornton (+3.2)

DE Kendall Langford (+3.0)

OT Anthony Castonzo (+2.9)

DE Henry Anderson (+3.3)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/05/jax-ind-grades-hasselbeck-neutralizes-jags-pass-rush-moves-colts-atop-afc-south/

vs. Texans.

– The Colts have learned some lessons from the Peyton Manning era; one of those is the value of a quality backup quarterback, as Matt Hasselbeck (+4.2) turned in his best game since the Seahawks’ wildcard victory over the Saints after the 2010 season. Pressured only four times (thanks in no small part to an average release time of 2.12 seconds), Hasselbeck was on the money all over the field, not least on the Colts’ aggressive 43-yard completion down the left sideline to see out the win with less than two minutes to go.

– With the Colts running left so much to stay away from J.J. Watt, they needed a strong game from their offensive linemen to the left—in Jack Mewhort (+5.5) and Khaled Holmes (+1.1) they got two such displays. Mewhort has settled back in at left guard after experimenting at right tackle to start the season, and has earned a positive grade as a run blocker in each start back on the inside.

Top performers:

LG Jack Mewhort (+5.5)

QB Matt Hasselbeck (+4.2)

WR Andre Johnson (+2.2)

DE Billy Winn (+2.0)

DE Henry Anderson (+1.1)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/09/colts-texans-grades-stellar-matt-hasselbeck-leads-indy-to-3-2/

vs. Patriots.

– After a solid rookie season, left guard Jack Mewhort (+3.3) has turned into the greatest success of this young season for the Colts after they called time on the experiment to play him at right tackle. Since Mewhort was moved back to guard in Week 3, only three guards (Marshal Yanda, Joel Bitonio, and Evan Mathis) have bettered Mewhort’s +9.8 overall grade, and none have bettered his +8.6 run block grade that he added to with his fourth straight grade of +1.0 or better last night.

Top performers:

LG Jack Mewhort (+3.3)
RG Hugh Thornton (+3.2)
RT Joe Reitz (+1.6)

HB Frank Gore (+1.3)
WR Donte Moncrief (+1.2)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/19/ne-ind-grades-bradys-brilliance-powers-pats-to-victory/

Stop blame OL.