Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sick of the Colts not sticking to the run game

RockThatBlue

Its tiring. Why God why do we always abandon the run so fast? I'm sick of it. Gore was running well but only finished with 13 carries. Just unbelievable. I don't know if this was on Luck or Pep but this is just getting old. Its Deja Vu with this team. Why even sign or draft RBs if we decide to scrap the run so fast?

Yeah I agree. It seems as if a couple of plays get stymied, they run off from it. It's part of football. Run plays aren't going to result in positive yardage every play. However, I can see why they're tempted when you have a QB like Luck.

See my complaints in the million other threads: our coaching staff is not mentally equipped to beat elite teams. That is the most simplest answer

Most simplest? I don't think you should criticize others ability to be mentality equipped until you get a grasp on the English language

This is why I called for Pep to be fired after the Jets game.

He's too quick to abandon the run.    And he was too quick to abandon the short passing game for the longer passing game.

I thought he called an excellent first half.      Only 2 or 3 calls I didn't like.

But the 2nd half was more of what didn't work against Buffalo and the NY Jets.

Very frustrating and disappointing.       But that's Pep.

The Colts deserve and need a better OC.

I don't see why people are surprised we really had no serious intention to run the ball. Coaching staff (particularly Pagano and Pep) have been vocal about chunk plays and getting the ball downfield repeatedly, Honestly Im just glad Colts kept the score respectable, That's a win in of itself

He's too quick to abandon the run. And he was too quick to abandon the short passing game for the longer passing game.

I thought he called an excellent first half. Only 2 or 3 calls I didn't like.

Very frustrating and disappointing. But that's Pep.

It makes no sense at all. If I were Gore I'd be fuming angry about it. Its stupid as hell.

I don't see why people are surprised we really had no serious intention to run the ball. Coaching staff (particularly Pagano and Pep) have been vocal about chunk plays and getting the ball downfield repeatedly, Honestly Im just glad Colts kept the score respectable, That's a win in of itself

I have no idea what you're talking about?

Of course we had serious intention to run the ball.    I think Gore had roughly 8-10 carries by halftime.   He only ended up with 13 in the game.   We went away from the run as we often do because Pep panics when we fall behind.

And the team has been far more vocal about wanting/needing to be more balanced between the pass and the run.     I don't even recall hearing about the last comment over "chunk plays" or getting the ball downfield.

He's too quick to abandon the run.    And he was too quick to abandon the short passing game for the longer passing game.

I thought he called an excellent first half.      Only 2 or 3 calls I didn't like.

Very frustrating and disappointing.       But that's Pep.

Pep or Luck?  Again, unless he has no say anymore, it's hard to figure out who is ultimately responsible.

I'm talking about Pep, though some of the qualities I've mentioned could also be said of Luck too.

The crucial drive was the 3 and out early in the second half where luck looked to throw a short quick pass that was batted down.  He then bounced one to Hilton.  That pass was also in the "timing, quick release" model.  After that drive, they did seem to revert to looking for the longer pass.  I'm just not sure who to blame though.  Luck could very well have reverted back to his nature.

I have no idea what you're talking about?

Of course we had serious intention to run the ball.    I think Gore had roughly 8-10 carries by halftime.   He only ended up with 13 in the game.   We went away from the run as we often do because Pep panics when we fall behind.

And the team has been far more vocal about wanting/needing to be more balanced between the pass and the run.     I don't even recall hearing about the last comment over "chunk plays" or getting the ball downfield.

Yeah Im noticing that now actually, I fell asleep midway into the 1st quarter....Very bad thing to do, Good thing I recorded it. I don't think its just Pep at this point however. I think Luck plays a HUGE part in abandoning the run. You can see Lucks pressing...especially by a couple reactions of bad throws in this Patriots game. I think he gets worked up and over excited and presses and Pep don't do enough get him settled down

To lazy to look it up. But I think if we take away the holding penalties the run would not look like they quit on it.

Seriously with Gore I am not sure holding is necessary!

Blounts rushing TD was a serious miss of a takedown on our dlineman.

was NE called for any holding last night?

Luck needs to put the ball in Gore and Bradshaw's hands and let them make his life easier just like he needs to hit the short route and let the WR make his job easier. Luck is trying to do too much right now, and normally this is when a veteran OC would come in and calm him down and show him what he needs to do next time.

I just don't feel like this is happening with Pep. Pep never lights a fire under Luck to get him to play better from what the cameras show. I love Luck, but there needs to be some accountability on the sidelines. Furthermore, Pep further compounds the problem with his play-calling. Luck is definitely holding onto the ball too long to try to make the big play, but on a couple of plays where it appeared Luck held the ball too long last night, there was no one open downfield on the replay and there was no short, underneath route.

Pep has become enthralled with the "chunk play" this year, and this seems to be reflected in Luck's mentality to throw downfield and also the abandonment of the run. It's like Pep wants to be Bruce Arians now except he doesn't know how to coach that style of offense.

Yeah Im noticing that now actually, I fell asleep midway into the 1st quarter....Very bad thing to do, Good thing I recorded it. I don't think its just Pep at this point however. I think Luck plays a HUGE part in abandoning the run. You can see Lucks pressing...especially by a couple reactions of bad throws in this Patriots game. I think he gets worked up and over excited and presses and Pep don't do enough get him settled down

I still point to Clyde Christensen for getting into Luck's ear and calming him down. He has to go, IMO.

As for the abandonment of the run game, if Luck is changing the play at the line, Pep has to take the keys away from him so that he doesn't damage the car.

The Patriots stopped it on key downs that's why they went away from it. Also, running out of shotgun wasn't working.

What key down did they stop it on? I think Gore was averaging like 7 something ypc or something else ridiculous. Bradshaw looked rusty and had a more pedestrian average, but I don't recall the Patriots really having an answer for Gore at all.

Our run game is just too wildly inconsistent. There are too many times where a first or second down run goes nowhere or backwards and puts us in 2nd/3rd and long. It's easy to start getting out of it when you're looking at a lot of 2nd/3rd and 7+. 

When we go to run the ball you never know if it's gonna be a 10 yard gain or a 2 yard loss. If we could get out of that, I'm sure we wouldn't be so anxious to start trying to rely heavily on Andrew and the passing game. 

Our run game is just too wildly inconsistent. There are too many times where a first or second down run goes nowhere or backwards and puts us in 2nd/3rd and long. It's easy to start getting out of it when you're looking at a lot of 2nd/3rd and 7+. 

When we go to run the ball you never know if it's gonna be a 10 yard gain or a 2 yard loss. If we could get out of that, I'm sure we wouldn't be so anxious to start trying to rely heavily on Andrew and the passing game. 

Normally I would agree, although I can only think of one running play that went for negative yardage last night. A few of Bradshaw's runs, who was still visibly rusty, only went for 2-3 yards, but Gore was almost unstoppable for the most part. I think the run was definitely abandoned prematurely last night.

Why did we keep putting Tipton in on 3rd down over and over and over??? 

Pats didn't even play the run when he was in and concentrated on the pass every time. 

Bradshaw likely needs eased in. He's been out of football until just this last week. He's also coming off a significant enough injury that he may be more diminished than he was before. And since there were no real other non-Tipton options our hands were forced. 

Normally I would agree, although I can only think of one running play that went for negative yardage last night. A few of Bradshaw's runs, who was still visibly rusty, only went for 2-3 yards, but Gore was almost unstoppable for the most part. I think the run was definitely abandoned prematurely last night.

Yeah, we only had one run go negative. (Which is an improvement for sure) but they weren't all sunshine and roses either. Gore put up over half of his total on two runs. (A 23 yarder and an 18)

He had some good runs that were negated by holding as well. I honestly try to just scrap those plays from memory as soon as possible because it's always a question of whether it was a result of the hold or not, and there are arguments for and against.

We're definitely getting better at it though. More consistency in the run game is definitely the biggest missing part of our offense. 

Bradshaw likely needs eased in. He's been out of football until just this last week. He's also coming off a significant enough injury that he may be more diminished than he was before. And since there were no real other non-Tipton options our hands were forced. 

I can see that, but Gore is a legit blocker and if he's in there, the pats* have to at least respect the run. 

Put Bradshaw in on 1st or 2nd if you are resting Gore. 

Why did we keep putting Tipton in on 3rd down over and over and over??? 

Pats didn't even play the run when he was in and concentrated on the pass every time. 

Tipton should not be on the field for any down, and can't stand seeing him there on 3rd to block and get steamrolled.

This just isn't accurate. The Colts run game is probably one of the more consistent run games in the league at the moment.

There have been little to no negative plays (Colts have one of the lowest percentages of run plays with contact in the backfield this year) and multiple 10+ runs over the last 3-4 weeks.

The problem is abandoning the run.

Fire Pep now and let Clyde call the plays.  Put Andrew on shorter rope.  Pep and/or Andrew cost the Colts big time last night.  There's not enough accountability - this is a re-occuring theme.

You better believe it, with the broken record syndrome. Would be nice to hear from Ryan and Jimmy tweets on what they thought of bone head fake punt call.

He's too quick to abandon the run. And he was too quick to abandon the short passing game for the longer passing game.

I thought he called an excellent first half. Only 2 or 3 calls I didn't like.

Very frustrating and disappointing. But that's Pep.

Yep, according to Pep, being down by 6 early in the 3rd equals down by 21 with 5 minutes to play. He can't tell the difference between the two.

I do not understand it either.  The Colts get 6 yards per carry in the first half and lose their mind as the Patriots take the lead by continually throwing the ball down field behind an offensive line that is not able to give Luck time to throw the ball down field.  It seems to me the Colts just threw the first half playbook out the window in the 2nd half.   

Chuck Pagano on abandoning the run in the fourth quarter:

“Did we get away from it a little bit too soon? Yeah.

“There was a point where I told Pep we have to go up-tempo, we’ve got to get this thing down field in a hurry.”

I too wish that we had stuck to the first half game plan - clearly it was working!   Though Gore seems to take himself out of the game quite often - must be age. The play calls have to be more like what hasselbeck did and what we did in the 1st half and if a big play comes up hit it - DONT look to go down field every single play - PATHETIC - thats either Luck or Pep or Both!  GET IT FIXED!