Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will face Ryan Mallet Thursday Night (Merge)

TKnight24

I remember when this kid played at Arkansas.New England grabs him and is tutored under Brady & Belichick before the Texans acquire him. This man has a gun. Notwithstanding his limited play in the NFL, he has the potential to be a fine QB. With Mariota & Mallet now QBing in the AFC South along with Luck it'll be very interesting over the next several years if they all stay healthy. (Luck's present injury coming out @ 100% unscathed)

Another blowout loss for the Texans if we have Luck going, I can guarantee that.

Ryan Mallet has been terrible and with Brian Hoyer, they will at least move the ball and possess the ball a bit. Ryan Mallet is the definition of boom or bust. If we can force a few 3 and outs, his confidence will be shot, IMO. It is a good thing Ryan is starting. He had his chance and in the NFL, you only have a small window to make an impression unless you are a top 5 draft pick.

Another blowout loss for the Texans if we have Luck going, I can guarantee that.

Ryan Mallet has been terrible and with Brian Hoyer, they will at least move the ball and possess the ball a bit. Ryan Mallet is the definition of boom or bust. If we can force a few 3 and outs, his confidence will be shot, IMO. It is a good thing Ryan is starting. He had his chance and in the NFL, you only have a small window to make an impression unless you are a top 5 draft pick.

not if we dont have anderson or davis ..................lose either one and we're screwed

We shall see. Hope I'm wrong about Mallet. Many people have high hopes for this kid. Never really got a chance with the Pats because of Brady. He's learned from just about the best. It's up to him to put that knowledge on the field of play. Boom or bust might happen, however, I really think he's a very good QB with time.

not if we dont have anderson or davis ..................lose either one and we're screwed

No, we are not. If Ryan Mallet plays, we trot out Matt Hasselback and our second string defense out there and win an ugly game. If Luck plays, it will be a blowout.

To me, Bill O' Brien is pretty much giving Ryan Mallet the nail in the coffin. I'm sure he is thinking "You were upset about me naming Hoyer the starter originally. You stunk vs the Falcons and this may be your last chance, and if you stink it up here, you will have had plenty of chances and no one but yourself to blame for not delivering."

I am pretty sure that is how it will turn out.

We shall see. Hope I'm wrong about Mallet. Many people have high hopes for this kid. Never really got a chance with the Pats because of Brady. He's learned from just about the best. It's up to him to put that knowledge on the field of play. Boom or bust might happen, however, I really think he's a very good QB with time.

There are those that think differently. Not that you can't be right.

This is from nil.com..

"As Around The NFL's Chris Wesseling noted Sunday, Mallett struggles anticipating throws, which leads to forced passes in tight windows that often end up deflected, dropped or intercepted. He is also frustratingly inaccurate and has no touch on passes. In his fifth season, with five starts under his belt, Mallett has displayed a big arm and little else to suggest he's an starting-caliber NFL quarterback. 

Brian Hoyer entered the game and led the Texans on three scoring drives to make the blowout seem less lopsided on the scoreboard against Falcons backups and soft coverage. It was the same recipe Mallett used to yank the starting job from Hoyer after Week 1. 

This time O'Brien won't make a change."

Mallet reminds me a lot of the former Bills QB Rob Johnson... he has all the tools you could want in a QB... rocket arm, excellent touch, understand the play book and the game plan as well as the coaches but just can't execute any of it when bodies are flying around him for real.

You can't guarantee anything

This is from nil.com..

"As Around The NFL's Chris Wesseling noted Sunday, Mallett struggles anticipating throws, which leads to forced passes in tight windows that often end up deflected, dropped or intercepted. He is also frustratingly inaccurate and has no touch on passes. In his fifth season, with five starts under his belt, Mallett has displayed a big arm and little else to suggest he's an starting-caliber NFL quarterback. 

Brian Hoyer entered the game and led the Texans on three scoring drives to make the blowout seem less lopsided on the scoreboard against Falcons backups and soft coverage. It was the same recipe Mallett used to yank the starting job from Hoyer after Week 1. 

Gotcha, dw49. It's very hard to gauge an NFL QB with only minimal starts. He just may not pan out because of inexperience. But don't be surprised if he pulls it together at some point and understands that firing a bullet is not only what he has as an arsenal. Personally, I'd like to have him not contribute one bit to the Texans organization. We have enough headaches of our own besides dealing with two other QBs that could potentially wreak havoc upon us each year.

lol you say that like this isn't the team that gives out break out performaces to qbs like it's Christmas

Gotcha, dw49. It's very hard to gauge an NFL QB with only minimal starts. He just may not pan out because of inexperience. But don't be surprised if he pulls it together at some point and understands that firing a bullet is not only what he has as an arsenal. Personally, I'd like to have him not contribute one bit to the Texans organization. We have enough headaches of our own besides dealing with two other QBs that could potentially wreak havoc upon us each year.

Mariota and Bortles are going to be enough of a headache. I'm with you on this one.

The Colts defense has allowed average and bad QBs to play over their heads.  The key is the pass rush.  Mallet will have Arian Foster back and DeAndre Hopkins is pretty good.  I don't see a blow out at all.  The Texans will be a tough out.  I don't think that anyone is fearing the Colts right now.  I'm sure the Texans defense is thinking they can get some hits on an injured Luck too.

The Colts defense has allowed average and bad QBs to play over their heads.  The key is the pass rush.  Mallet will have Arian Foster back and DeAndre Hopkins is pretty good.  I don't see a blow out at all.  The Texans will be a tough out.  I don't think that anyone is fearing the Colts right now.  I'm sure the Texans defense is thinking they can get some hits on an injured Luck too.

Texans oline is worse than are's..I smell Mathis 1st sack!

with this team being in disarray so I sure wouldn't be saying we are going to blow anyone out!

lol you say that like this isn't the team that gives out break out performaces to qbs like it's Christmas

Just throw it to T.Y., he will single handedly take care of the Texans  :thmup: .

Come on, this board could use some exaggerated optimism :). Mindset can be everything sometimes.

It is not only Mallet's lack of skill but the entire Texans organization is again this year under fire. The head coach blames everything on himself much as the former coach kubiak did and the fans here are sick of hearing that. There are so far many teams disappointing the fans like Buffalo, Chicago, Philly and Indy but here in Houston there is genuine anger from the media and fans who are sick and tired of excuses and bad talent picks. Coaches that can't win and players that don't seem to care that much about winning. This franchise has been a loser since day one. I miss the Oilers, this town loved that team and the great Bum Philips.

This is from nil.com..

Pretty much dead on with this. That is why the Pats let him go. He was drafted as a project and just never developed a sense of feel or accuracy especially when compared to an all time great like Brady. Big guy with the deep ball but also a statue. Can't really move or slide in the pocket the way Brady can. He really is just a poor man's version of Drew Bledsoe although Bledsoe was more accurate. I do think Mallett can improve though and he should be able to have some success against the Colts D. The run game will be critical for him to get that going.

Thursday night football generally has the home team winning but this year two road teams have won - Denver and Baltimore so who knows. If Luck plays and is reasonably healthy, I see a win.

I'm hoping Pagano has us prepared for this Thursday nighter against the Texans.  Those guys are going to pull out all the stops they can to avoid going 1-4. I'm hoping we've finally realized what our direction is with this offense and we have a coming out party. It's time to get the machine rolling already!  If we can just drop 30 plus in this game and be sharp I'll feel really good about where we are headed as a team offensively.  Need to be agressive and sharp!   Also want to see us get back to our blitz game in this one with Davis and Toler playing together, along with an improvement of our 4 man pressures.    Defense needs to generate more turnovers!

Mallet will look good with the way we play pass D, probably wont score any TD though, i would say easily the most important game to come and the most important in the near future, not counting NE, momentum is huge in sports and if Texans win a winning streak is very possible, giving our schedule if any  team in the AFCS goes on a winning streak we likely wont make the playoffs, big game come Thursday i would like to see Mathis get a sack