Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign QB Alex Tanney to practice squad

indyagent17

No they don't. We have had many years with no QB on the practice squad. So like I said, this may be no big deal but its interesting we didn't have one in games 1-3 but we have one NOW!

Really? So who was this guy Chandler Harnish who was drafted in the 7th round and spent two years on the Colts practice squad since Luck has been here?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean I wouldn't want Hasselbeck starting multiple games in a row or anything, Or against the Pats. But I do think if he had to start a game or 2 against a mediocre team he could get us a win. For example, the next two games against the Jags and Texans. Hasselbeck could win those games IMO.

Maybe they need a live arm to practice against?

I agree. Also we need to keep in mind that if MH does retire at seasons end a back up will be needed. Sign him now so at least the coaches will have some idea of what he might be capable of doing. I seem to remember we got caught without a serviceable back up in the past. :D

You can disagree all you care to but most think other wise including those who count.

You honestly believe he can win games with this personnel? Based on how bad he looked in preseason, and also how tough a time Luck has had? That's fine, but I disagree. Like you say the staff thinks he's fine and thats all that matters :)

No need to panic, Luck says he's ok by every interview I have seen. I have to admit though he hasn't looked right since late in the 1st Qtr against Buffalo. He may have got injured then? Even if your rib isn't broken, a bruised one is painful and makes it tough to throw the ball.

We are like that dog that thinks it's big and bad, then got punched in the face and had to take a few steps back. Hopefully we come back full force like we are capable.

I'm thinking Luck takes a few less reps in practice this week, they signed this guy to run scout team. I am hoping the Colts can jump out to an early big lead and let Hasslebeck manage the rest of the game. The Jags are missing their entire secondary after the Pats game and I'm not sure who'll be back for this week. Even so, they're pretty bad regardless. Matt is capable of managing a 14-21 point lead IMO, with heavy doses of Gore. Can you imagine this board if Hasslebeck does play and picks up blitzes and checks down to hot reads? We will probably have "bench Luck" threads....lol. That said, watch us come out flat and have to fight till the end.....

Harnish was there in 2013 as well and Jeff Mathews Last season

Looking them up,  I found that Mathews was with the team for one week.   The first, and then cut.

Harnisch was there for most of 2012, but not all,  and I'm not sure of how much for 13,  possibly all,  but it's not clear to me.

Is it bad if I actually thought all of this was pretty impressive? He's damn good at the trick shots.

Impressive but not terribly useful in actual football games I would say.

The other issue is that you don't know how many attempts he made at those things before he actually made them.

But presuming all of those things where first try attempts then the best that I can say is that he has some really good deep ball accuracy.  (Making the baskets with the football.)  

He is fun to watch and appears to have a good feel for the ball. His accuracy is astounding (curious how many attempts though). The question is if he can handle the pressure of actually playing in a pro game. Not that we will ever find out. 

He has been on seven NFL teams. That may answer your question for you.

I sure hope this signing doesn't foretell that #12 is injured.  I don't see a QB signing to the PS being a good sign. I know this may just mean we need another QB to run the scout team but we have a QB that can do that

Just strange

if there was another QB that was brought onto the active roster, it would probably raise a red flag for me but other than that i believe they usually carry atleast one QB on the PS. i wouldn't worry about number 12

They're not going to make Hasselbeck take every rep in practice this week.

This ^

And the fact that if Luck even were projected to miss time no way is a practice squad QB going to elevate our team if thrust into the starting lineup on gameday.  He more likely than not was brought in due to the fact that Hasselbeck was taking more reps than normal this week in practice with Luck resting

Dudes. I posted this BEFORE Luck was known to be injured. You guys keep saying Matt can't do it all in practice. If Luck was not injured we didn't need a QB added but Luck rumored to be hurt and we quickly signed one yesterday. You guys are smarter than this. Read my original post and realize it was before we knew he was hurt.