Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone Concerned With Mewhort At Rt?

NagelHausForge

And I'm not. Reitz could be (should be, IMO) a starting guard but because our tackle depth is so bad they're plugging him there. Despite his solid performance vs DEN, he has not been a very reliable tackle.

It's OK to like him better at G...many here share your opinion there.  That doesn't nullify sound logic by our staff to make him the contingency plan as our swing T.  

To the bolded, that is not fact - but I respect your opinion.  

Fact is that we don't have a very large sample size to evaluate Reitz on as a T - we can't call him reliable or unreliable yet as a performer at T.  Fact is also that the positives from his playoff performance at RT outweigh the negatives from only other game he played RT during the season - which was a rough outing no doubt.  Fact also seems to be that the staff is only giving him reps at T - at least as far as we can see in the preseason.  

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't worried about him in the slightest until the Chicago game happened. The way McPhee breezed past him with minimal effort and barely a move was stunning to see.

Constanzo didn't look great in that game either, he got beat badly on a play too. Good pass rushers are eventually going to find a way to get to the QB no matter who's blocking, but our o-line HAS to do a better job minimalizing the instances of guys just running by untouched, because that's not gonna cut it. I expect improvement in the 3rd preseason game, it being "dress rehearsal" and all. I'm not hitting the panic button just yet.

Constanzo didn't look great in that game either, he got beat badly on a play too. Good pass rushers are eventually going to find a way to get to the QB no matter who's blocking, but our o-line HAS to do a better job minimalizing the instances of guys just running by untouched, because that's not gonna cut it. I expect improvement in the 3rd preseason game, it being "dress rehearsal" and all. I'm not hitting the panic button just yet.

If Mewhort had got beat by some top class move I'd have quickly put it down as one of those things.

Mewhort was just so passive that it's difficult to see how he would have blocked anybody in those situations. McPhee just choose which way he wanted to go and breezed past.

It's one game and he re-learning a position so a little perspective is required but where I was 100% confident in our tackles before its just been shaken a little bit.

If Mewhort had got beat by some top class move I'd have quickly put it down as one of those things.

Mewhort was just so passive that it's difficult to see how he would have blocked anybody in those situations. McPhee just choose which way he wanted to go and breezed past.

It's one game and he re-learning a position so a little perspective is required but where I was 100% confident in our tackles before its just been shaken a little bit.

You need to go back and re-watch that play.  It may look simple but McPhee set him up nicely.  Mewhort got caught off balance in space and a good pass rusher will make you pay for that.  Nothing else to see here.

You need to go back and re-watch that play. It may look simple but McPhee set him up nicely. Mewhort got caught off balance in space and a good pass rusher will make you pay for that. Nothing else to see here.

Maybe. I'll watch it again next time I get a chance.

He set Mewhort up for the move, no doubt about that, whether it was a move that could only be performed by a top defender is highly debatable.

And I'm not. Reitz could be (should be, IMO) a starting guard but because our tackle depth is so bad they're plugging him there. Despite his solid performance vs DEN, he has not been a very reliable tackle.

I think that you may see Reitz back at Guard..........   Good seems to have the talent to play in this league

I think that you may see Reitz back at Guard.......... Good seems to have the talent to play in this league

Good has been going up against 2nd and 3rd stringers and he hasn't been that impressive against them he's been sold to good but nowhere near ready to be a lick as our 2nd RT

"it was only his 5th ever start at that position in the NFL". It was only his 3rd start at RT, with two of them being short preseason stints, and that's a large part of the problem. They're putting all their chips on an inexperienced, largely unknown entity.

Not only that, but he was playing against a premier pass rusher, so some lapses are to be expected. Even Castonzo got beat by Jared Allen. So being good at your position is no guarantee you won't get beat, if the other guy is better. 

And yes, they're putting all their chips on a more-or-less unproven entity. I'm still amazed that the o-line is what it is, now going into the 4th year of Grigson's tenure. All the weapons they've added at skill positions doesn't change the fact that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Not only that, but he was playing against a premier pass rusher, so some lapses are to be expected. Even Castonzo got beat by Jared Allen. So being good at your position is no guarantee you won't get beat, if the other guy is better. 

And yes, they're putting all their chips on a more-or-less unproven entity. I'm still amazed that the o-line is what it is, now going into the 4th year of Grigson's tenure. All the weapons they've added at skill positions doesn't change the fact that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

I know the broadcasters were talking about Allen beating AC on that play but Luck had complete trust in AC, he never stepped up in the pocket or anything and Allen never touched Luck before or after AC put him on the ground.

Ideally you don't want a defender getting that close to your QB but he did not beat AC on that play and if Luck had taken a half step up in the pocket, Allen would not have even been close.

For Mewhort, he got beat bad two plays in a row.  But on the next drive the defender try doing the same moves and Mewhort stoned him each time.

Well, then it sounds like he's a quick learner, and that's encouraging.

I agree.  So many fans expect someone to play at a probowl level from snap one and if they don't there is "cause for concern".  I'm personally, not a big fan of Mewhort at tackle and I think the Colts would be better served this year and long term to just plug Good in at RT and move Mewhort back to guard.  That being said, however, those two plays were bad but outside of that he has been solid as a RT so far this year.

I agree. So many fans expect someone to play at a probowl level from snap one and if they don't there is "cause for concern". I'm personally, not a big fan of Mewhort at tackle and I think the Colts would be better served this year and long term to just plug Good in at RT and move Mewhort back to guard. That being said, however, those two plays were bad but outside of that he has been solid as a RT so far this year.

Is that more of an endorsement for Good or an indictment for Mewhort at RT?

I'm very concerned.

The first play of the game was a Frank Gore run left.

The 2nd play was a whiff by Mewhort and hard sack of Luck

The 3rd play was a whiff by Mewhort and a fleeing Luck throw away pass OB

Punt

The 4th play was a Frank Gore run right.

The 5th play was a snap & throw - bubble screen to Johnson on the left.

The 6th play is the one that bothers me most though...

The Bears rush 5 and they don't hide the extra rusher, as they all have a hand on the ground, Allen is tight to Mewhort to chip, which he does, but Mewhort still whiffs his block after Allen passes him on, That's not all though, Herremans is knocked off his position on first contact and is blown by, even his hands to the face counter move fails. Holmes is beat even faster. His was instant. By the time he gets his head up, his man is on his side and Holmes is trailing. Holmes was left with no option but to hold, and that's what he did. It was all he could do. It was desperate and extended, but drew no flag. In summary, three Bears big men blew by 4 Colts blockers with ease. It was Herremans man that got there first and power slammed Andrew for the second time, but the bigger point is just how dicey this situation on the O-line is. Check out the play if your stomach can take it. By the way, I've watched every preseason game for as far back as I can remember and I've never seen anything like it.

The 6th play is the one that bothers me most though...

The Bears rush 5 and they don't hide the extra rusher, as they all have a hand on the ground, Allen is tight to Mewhort to chip, which he does, but Mewhort still whiffs his block after Allen passes him on, That's not all though, Herremans is knocked off his position on first contact and is blown by, even his hands to the face counter move fails. Holmes is beat even faster. His was instant. By the time he gets his head up, his man is on his side and Holmes is trailing. Holmes was left with no option but to hold, and that's what he did. It was all he could do. It was desperate and extended, but drew no flag. In summary, three Bears big men blew by 4 Colts blockers with ease. It was Herremans man that got there first and power slammed Andrew for the second time, but the bigger point is just how dicey this situation on the O-line is. Check out the play if your stomach can take it. By the way, I've watched every preseason game for as far back as I can remember and I've never seen anything like it.

Herremans is the only one that got beat on that play. Holmes held, but he didn't get beat like you say; Ratliff had a good rip move and got past him. Mewhort did what he was supposed to do in funneling the defender outside, but Luck wasn't able to step up because of the pressure from Herremans man. 

The Bears didn't have five men with a hand on the ground; the two OLBs were in a two point stance.

You're acting like this was a catastrophic fail by the entire line. It wasn't. Herremans and Holmes didn't execute well, and that was it.

The pass protection was perfect on the next drive, the TD drive, including against the blitz. Look at out to Allen, or the out to Hilton, or the deep pass to Hilton.

Herremans is the only one that got beat on that play. Holmes held, but he didn't get beat like you say; Ratliff had a good rip move and got past him. Mewhort did what he was supposed to do in funneling the defender outside, but Luck wasn't able to step up because of the pressure from Herremans man.

The Bears didn't have five men with a hand on the ground; the two OLBs were in a two point stance.

You're acting like this was a catastrophic fail by the entire line. It wasn't. Herremans and Holmes didn't execute well, and that was it.

The pass protection was perfect on the next drive, the TD drive, including against the blitz. Look at out to Allen, or the out to Hilton, or the deep pass to Hilton.

I just rewatched the play multiple times.

Mewhort completely whiffed on that play and that was after DA slowed his man down considerably. He didn't funnel McPhee outside at all, McPhee blew right by him and he was only a split second slower to Luck than Herremans' man.

You're right that the OLBs were in 2 point stances but his point stands that they didn't hide, stunt, or blitz. It was their 5 vs our 5 (plus chips on both OLBs) straight up.

I wasn't worried about him in the slightest until the Chicago game happened. The way McPhee breezed past him with minimal effort and barely a move was stunning to see.

McPhee is a top pass rusher in the league. He's not exactly a scrub.

I think Mewhort will be fine. Or at least for Lucks sake I hope so...

Mewhort will be a G hopefully sooner than later.    I am really hoping that maybe Good could evolve into our RT?   But against STL we will see exactly where this OL stands as a unit.    They will be facing the best DL in the NFL.

I went back and watched Mewhorts 28 offensive snaps and on the play he gave up a sack that was just do to poor footwork and technique, If you watch on that same play how Castonzo handled his man Castonzo pretty well got flat facing the sideline as the rusher charged, Also Mewhorts hand placement was slow...He got surprised I think Mcphees power acceleration.....Also Mewhort cannot give up a direct path to the QB like he did to the inside

The very next play was just a case of Mewhort getting beat by a inside out move and poor footwork

By my count 4 missed blocks on 28 offensive snaps.....Good for 85%.......Generally O Linemen like that to be higher according an article I read by a former recent O Lineman but not bad, Has to improve

Is that more of an endorsement for Good or an indictment for Mewhort at RT?

Both and neither I guess.  I think Mewhort has the tools to be an all pro level guard in another 2-3 years, I think he lacks the lower body agility and quick twitch muscles to be anything more than a solid RT.  Good has shown enough to where I think he may be a step below Mewhort this year but can turn into a solid to good RT next year and perhaps keep improving.

Both and neither I guess.  I think Mewhort has the tools to be an all pro level guard in another 2-3 years, I think he lacks the lower body agility and quick twitch muscles to be anything more than a solid RT.  Good has shown enough to where I think he may be a step below Mewhort this year but can turn into a solid to good RT next year and perhaps keep improving.

Mewhort has nearly maxed out as a guard. He can`t play low to knock guys off the line and he is slow afoot, with modest at best ability to redirect.

He latches on to his man pretty good, but athletic guys are likely to always be a problem.

If that is true at guard, lol as a tackle. Keep watching i guess.

Do you folks know what All-Pro means?? Wow!

That is the essence of the worries at RT...    Mew is NOT athletic enough to get it done against NFL pass rushers.   He can have all the technique in the world...    but better talent will get him every time.    And it did at OSU...    I watched him every game.  He is a G.    He is stiff...    And Castonzo looked just as bad.   but he will giet it together.

G  ...   he is a stud...    T?    We will see this week, if he struggles again the Colts are really going to be in panic mode.   Because there is NO DEPTH on this OL.    

hmmmm   we could have a starting OL of Castonzo, Incognito, Holmes/Harrison, Mew, and COLLINS at RT?

BUT...      I cannot bebieve this FO has been so arrogant as to think the guys on board are the answer?   Just really poor.  

It will cost this team in the end.     With Luck getting hurt.....       I hope they run every down against STL.     Buffalo will be bad enough    If Mew is the RT on opening week Allen will be draped to his side ALL GAME LONG and that is not the vision this staff had when they drafted PD instead of ......       

Al Davis ...   "just win baby" ...     The sooner Grigs adopts this attitude  the better.          

I went back and watched Mewhorts 28 offensive snaps and on the play he gave up a sack that was just do to poor footwork and technique, If you watch on that same play how Castonzo handled his man Castonzo pretty well got flat facing the sideline as the rusher charged, Also Mewhorts hand placement was slow...He got surprised I think Mcphees power acceleration.....Also Mewhort cannot give up a direct path to the QB like he did to the inside

The very next play was just a case of Mewhort getting beat by a inside out move and poor footwork

By my count 4 missed blocks on 28 offensive snaps.....Good for 85%.......Generally O Linemen like that to be higher according an article I read by a former recent O Lineman but not bad, Has to improve

That is the essence of the worries at RT...    Mew is NOT athletic enough to get it done against NFL pass rushers.   He can have all the technique in the world...    but better talent will get him every time.    And it did at OSU...    I watched him every game.  He is a G.    He is stiff...    And Castonzo looked just as bad.   but he will giet it together.

G  ...   he is a stud...    T?    We will see this week, if he struggles again the Colts are really going to be in panic mode.   Because there is NO DEPTH on this OL.    

hmmmm   we could have a starting OL of Castonzo, Incognito, Holmes/Harrison, Mew, and COLLINS at RT?

BUT...      I cannot bebieve this FO has been so arrogant as to think the guys on board are the answer?   Just really poor.  

It will cost this team in the end.     With Luck getting hurt.....       I hope they run every down against STL.     Buffalo will be bad enough    If Mew is the RT on opening week Allen will be draped to his side ALL GAME LONG and that is not the vision this staff had when they drafted PD instead of ......       

Al Davis ...   "just win baby" ...     The sooner Grigs adopts this attitude  the better.          

Even at Guard Mewhort is just decent, Solis pass blocker, below average run blocker

Bwahahahaha

Because the Raiders are the franchise to model yourself after

Mewhort had a 92% pass block percentage

81% run block percentage. 81% needs to be at least 85% by what many O Line coaches I have ready consider acceptable

http://coltsacademy.com/?p=3781

He probably did grade out higher near the end of the year to be fair. From the LG position he had trouble with pulling early on and improved somewhat as the year went on. But yeah his pass protection overall was probably better.

I'm quite confident he'd be money at RG. He has the 1 on 1 pass protection skills you need at RG (moreso than LG) and as we know he has strength to hold up against really good DTs inside that he showed off last year. He'd have to pull less at RG than he did as an LG, which was one of his weaker attributes (though he did make some gains there). I really hope he can deal with edge rushers well enough to excel at RT, because it would be awesome if he and Castonzo could just lock in as the pillars of the O-line for a long time. 

It'd be naive to not be concerned. It looked like McPhee would have tossed Mewhort aside like a rag doll the entire game had they kept playing. Also, there appears to be no contingency plan.

What's naive is NOT realizing he's a second year player in the leauge and he was playing his second game as a pro at tackle. As well as going against some top notch pass rushers. He's probably gonna take his stumbles. How about we give him some time to get used to it and work on things a little. People expect him to make a swith and be an all pro or something.... jeesh!

People expect waaaay too much waaaay too quick. Upset because Mewhort has taken some beatings. When it was his second game as a pro playing tackle... and he's only in his second year. Plus he was going against pretty good pass rushers with a good bit of expirience. He's gonna take his lumps and look bad at times... it's just how it is. Those who expected him to be great right off the bat are completely unrealistic!

What's naive is NOT realizing he's a second year player in the leauge and he was playing his second game as a pro at tackle. As well as going against some top notch pass rushers. He's probably gonna take his stumbles. How about we give him some time to get used to it and work on things a little. People expect him to make a swith and be an all pro or something.... jeesh!

I do realize that, thanks. The fact that he's a 2nd year guy with no pro Tackle exp is, in itself, cause for concern.

He probably did grade out higher near the end of the year to be fair. From the LG position he had trouble with pulling early on and improved somewhat as the year went on. But yeah his pass protection overall was probably better.

I'm quite confident he'd be money at RG. He has the 1 on 1 pass protection skills you need at RG (moreso than LG) and as we know he has strength to hold up against really good DTs inside that he showed off last year. He'd have to pull less at RG than he did as an LG, which was one of his weaker attributes (though he did make some gains there). I really hope he can deal with edge rushers well enough to excel at RT, because it would be awesome if he and Castonzo could just lock in as the pillars of the O-line for a long time. 

Mewhorts going to have to be one of them guys that wins on technique alone at any position he plays and will be exposed vs quicker defenders who have better technique because Mewhort just don't have the great foot speed or athleticism that I see (Im not saying he has bad athleticism but he is not light on his feet) for example of Eric Fisher...except Fisher struggles with technique. I'd also like my Guards to have more maulting power and ability to jolt the defender off the LOS driving him back that I don't Mewhort has

I'm not concerned. It's his 2nd game at RT since college. And yes he got beat a few times, but it was against Pernell McPhee who is a big, strong and fast pass rusher off the edge.

If he's still getting beat regularly in the regular season then I'll start thinking about being concerned.

Given that Thornton makes it back in the reasonable future, with Reitz and Harrison the Colts have fair depth at O'line.  Those three all have some NFL skills which is more than I can say for some of the teams I've seen this preseason.  The running game has real hope of some success this year IMO.  Obviously, like everyone is talking about Gore seeing reduced boxes as compared to SF, the option of having Gore (and Josh Robinson?) in the backfield should keep the D-lines from pinning their ears back.  You get a little sideways and Gore will run over you.  I think with reasonable health, this line will do just dandy.....Mewhort included.

Mewhort has nearly maxed out as a guard. He can`t play low to knock guys off the line and he is slow afoot, with modest at best ability to redirect.

He latches on to his man pretty good, but athletic guys are likely to always be a problem.

If that is true at guard, lol as a tackle. Keep watching i guess.

Do you folks know what All-Pro means?? Wow!

The bolded is one of the dumbest statements I have read on this forum in a long time.

The rest of your post reinforces my belief that you may watch Colts games but you have no idea what you are seeing.

Yes, I know what all pro means, do you?  I also know that players can improve over time if they are willing to put forth the effort and Mewhort appears to be the guy who puts forth the effort.

I do realize that, thanks. The fact that he's a 2nd year guy with no pro Tackle exp is, in itself, cause for concern.

In the short term maybe....cause he's gotta adjust. But his struggles now don't guarentee he's gonna struggle all the time. If people had a littlw patience and will wait till actually gets some expirience under his belt, like 4-5 games worth and see how he's doing. It should be expected he's gonna struggle though. And I'll say this, don't be supprised he gets embarrassed a few times by that Rams D line. He's probably gonna get handled a few times.