Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone Concerned With Mewhort At Rt?

NagelHausForge

I went to the game Saturday night and then re-watched the game yesterday and I noticed that Mewhort had a pretty rough game.  Even when they slid Allen over to his side to help chip before going out on his route Mewhort still let his man get by him and pressure Luck.  He allowed 1 sack on Luck as well early on that I saw. 

I know it is still early and there will always be growing pains (as Pagano likes to say) but is anyone out there concerned with Mewhort's ability to play RT?

I think this week's game will tell a lot about where he is at in his development.  I am not sure the Colts have a lot of other options on the roster right now that could play any better...

Any thoughts?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think he really should be playing guard, but at the same time he's a decent tackle.  We have to expect some growing pains with this switch especially against guys like Jared Allen and Mcphee.  Mewhort didn't look like that against the Eagles front, but he did against Chicago.  You'll get that kind of up and down stuff from time to time until he settles in.  We can kind of scheme things up though by running the football more and giving him some additional help when necessary.  Reitz looked exactly like that against Washington or Jacksonville last year and I said I never wanted to see him at right tackle ever again.  To his credit he got better with it in the playoffs.  We'll need to see a couple more games to know if Mewhort at tackle needs to be re-evaluated I think.

Nope. no concerns from me yet. It's preseason,...it was only his 5th ever start at that position in the NFL, and he is beside someone he's not used too. He's got a couple more weeks to shore up things and get used to it.

"it was only his 5th ever start at that position in the NFL". It was only his 3rd start at RT, with two of them being short preseason stints, and that's a large part of the problem. They're putting all their chips on an inexperienced, largely unknown entity.

I'd prefer that Mewhort play LG and we have a serviceable RT that's already seasoned and familiar with the nuances of the position, but that's just not the reality right now. Having said that I'm not concerned that he's not instantly "ballin" after only starting 2 preseason games at a new position. 

Yep but if we would run some draw plays or delayed handoffs in his direction making DE's pay for rushing his outside(right) shoulder then that will take a little pressure off of him...And if DE''s continue rushing that outside shoulder then so be it, Run through the gaping hole created by it(Bears did this at least twice against Cole in preseason game two that I remember). RT is going to be a learning experience for him and struggles will come with that, Especially against speed rushers who can convert speed to power...Or just speed rushers period.

Yep but if we would run some draw plays or delayed handoffs in his direction making DE's pay for rushing his outside(right) shoulder then that will take a little pressure off of him...And if DE''s continue rushing that outside shoulder then so be it, Run through the gaping hole created by it(Bears did this at least twice against Cole in preseason game two that I remember). RT is going to be a learning experience for him and struggles will come with that, Especially against speed rushers who can convert speed to power...Or just speed rushers period.

Or . . . McPhee.

I am worried about all of the offensive line changes. They need to start the line that we used in the playoffs. Also how does the GM allow us to go into the season without a right tackle? Herrmans is not very good. I thought that he was brought in for dept not to be a starter.

It'd be naive to not be concerned. It looked like McPhee would have tossed Mewhort aside like a rag doll the entire game had they kept playing. Also, there appears to be no contingency plan.

When you have Reitz with 3 quality playoff starts at RT under his belt, and Herremans who has logged several quality years at RT....it hardly feels like we are flying without a net.  Furthermore, the only real concern is over 2 plays back to back on the first series against McPhee.  Yes, this will happen sometimes - their good players will occassionally beat our good players. 

When you have Reitz with 3 quality playoff starts at RT under his belt, and Herremans who has logged several quality years at RT....it hardly feels like we are flying without a net. Furthermore, the only real concern is over 2 plays back to back on the first series against McPhee. Yes, this will happen sometimes - their good players will occassionally beat our good players.

Herremans is having his own troubles at guard right now. I like Reitz and he did an OK job at RT in the playoffs, but he's really not a very good tackle. He should be fighting for a starting spot at guard, IMO, not backing up tackle.

When Peyton was around, Addai's pass protection was a big factor for our 2 SB appearances in 4 years from 2006-2009. Our RBs have to be chosen after Gore primarily with pass protection in mind, IMO, to free up our TEs if necessary. However, if you look at teams that go max. protect (Patriots do it plenty of times), they use their TEs for chipping to get clean pockets for their wide outs to get free releases for speedy wide outs due to lack of safety help. When you go max. protect, it forces safeties to move up and thus, there will always be only 1 safety or none at all with enough 1-on-1s on the outside that our wide outs can definitely beat.

So, TE chipping is not necessarily a bad thing if it allows you to methodically control tempo, offers you check downs, and allows you to huddle early on in the game to put some points till the O-line settles down and as the game goes on, only the RB is needed with the QB along with the OL.

TE and RB chipping should stop being viewed as a negative thing. Just because we have all these weapons, it does not mean we have to run 3 and 4 WR formations most of the time.

Herremans is having his own troubles at guard right now. I like Reitz and he did an OK job at RT in the playoffs, but he's really not a very good tackle. He should be fighting for a starting spot at guard, IMO, not backing up tackle.

Anyone else want to see Denzelle Good get some reps at RG?  Against 2nd and 3rd teamers at the tougher position of RT, he has looked really good.  I'd like to think we'd be grooming someone to take over at RG in case Herremans doesn't look better (though I s'pose that person's name is "Thornton")...

Whether any of that is true or not, it doesn't change the reality that both are a functional part of a sound contingency plan.  

Obviously, no gameplanning for the preseason.  If it were a regular season game, they may have made sure there was help when racing a speed rusher on the right side.

Mewhort has already said he knows he messed up and has to do better.  We'll see.

Besides those two plays, how does everyone think he did?  I wish Ben Gundy was still doing the O Line analysis.

Mewhort (75) got beat early by McPhee, but on TD Rush, took care of Ratliff (6.5 sacks last year): https://t.co/zLkhupEsDI

— Steve Andress (@ColtsReporter)

August 24, 2015

Mewhort (75) got beat early by McPhee, but on TD Rush, took care of Ratliff (6.5 sacks last year): https://t.co/zLkhupEsDI

He looked good on this play.

I think he should've been our LG for the duration because he was money there, but that's apparently long gone.  Since he's our RT now, give the guy some help by having the TE chip the DE. 

Or run right through the massive hole the opposing DE creates while rushing the passer (like teams used to do to us against Freeney)

Jack Mewhort is the contingency plan. I think they wanted to keep Gosder, but couldn't justify the price with his injury history.

Nah

If you followed the off-season, it was pretty evident that our staff was making plans to be without Cherilus.  Cherilus returning to 2013 form would have been a nice surprise, thus they waited as long as possible to release him, but Reitz and Herreman were always the primary contingency if Mewhort was ineffective or was needed back at Guard.

I think people have visions of success for Mewhort at LG, last year.

Folks.... that just didnt happen

At LG, Mewhort was great at pass protection.... he shined

At LG, Mewhort was extremely weak at the run push.... he had difficulty moving people out of the hole

a great deal of difficulty........... With him its a leverage thing.   I think the 325-350lbs fatties, he hasnt proven to

be able to move........  a need in this type of offense.

Our RBs ran into a wall, because there was no hole.......  Eric Dickerson wouldnt have been successful behind Mewhort.

He also had great difficulty blocking from pulls last year (a need for an NFL guard)

Mewhort was part of the problem with our running game last year...... thats just a fact

He has more of a build for a tackle. He did well last year in pass protection. He was better than average

at left tackle at Ohio State (His spot his final year).

He is strong enough to move a 275-300LB DE. He is fast enough to handle these people..... he just needs more 

practive against the speedsters

He was "pants'ed" on the first series....... give him some time to develop to the speed.

Nah

If you followed the off-season, it was pretty evident that our staff was making plans to be without Cherilus. Cherilus returning to 2013 form would have been a nice surprise, thus they waited as long as possible to release him, but Reitz and Herreman were always the primary contingency if Mewhort was ineffective or was needed back at Guard.

Right, Mewhort was the contingency plan if Gosder couldn't go to begin the season and/or wouldn't take a pay cut.

I think most of us expected Gosder to remain a Colt this year and to retain his RT spot when healthy (which he apparently is now).

Reitz and Herremans are not players I'm comfortable with at RT for more than a game or two. But then again, I guess that's the modus operandi for our line.

I think people have visions of success for Mewhort at LG, last year.

Folks.... that just didnt happen

At LG, Mewhort was great at pass protection.... he shined

At LG, Mewhort was extremely weak at the run push.... he had difficulty moving people out of the hole

a great deal of difficulty........... With him its a leverage thing.   I think the 325-350lbs fatties, he hasnt proven to

be able to move........  a need in this type of offense.

Our RBs ran into a wall, because there was no hole.......  Eric Dickerson wouldnt have been successful behind Mewhort.

He also had great difficulty blocking from pulls last year (a need for an NFL guard)

Mewhort was part of the problem with our running game last year...... thats just a fact

He has more of a build for a tackle. He did well last year in pass protection. He was better than average

at left tackle at Ohio State (His spot his final year).

He is strong enough to move a 275-300LB DE. He is fast enough to handle these people..... he just needs more 

practive against the speedsters

He was "pants'ed" on the first series....... give him some time to develop to the speed.

You referring to the recent photo shoot?  haha

Right, Mewhort was the contingency plan if Gosder couldn't go to begin the season and/or wouldn't take a pay cut.

I think most of us expected Gosder to remain a Colt this year and to retain his RT spot when healthy (which he apparently is now).

Reitz and Herremans are not players I'm comfortable with at RT for more than a game or two. But then again, I guess that's the modus operandi for our line.

Comfortable or not, Reitz and Herremans are rationally part of a winning formula.  Denver has some noteable pass rushers - Reitz held up great.  We won.  I'm good with it.

Comfortable or not, Reitz and Herremans are rationally part of a winning formula. Denver has some noteable pass rushers - Reitz held up great. We won. I'm good with it.

And I'm not. Reitz could be (should be, IMO) a starting guard but because our tackle depth is so bad they're plugging him there. Despite his solid performance vs DEN, he has not been a very reliable tackle.