Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was This A Cheap Shot?

RockThatBlue

I personally feel if you are going to run the read option you have to expect things like this to happen. (A little cleaner of course.) I am not going to lie the hit looked a little dirty with Suggs going low, but if the Eagles don't want Mr. Breakable to get hurt they shouldn't have him running the read option, it is that simple.

When I saw it live, my instincts were to say "Good hit". I saw it replayed, and I heard the announcers talking about a cheap shot, but I still have to follow my instincts. Quarterbacks shouldn't be "protected" if they are running the read option. 

When I saw it live, my instincts were to say "Good hit". I saw it replayed, and I heard the announcers talking about a cheap shot, but I still have to follow my instincts. Quarterbacks shouldn't be "protected" if they are running the read option.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Suggs has taken so many cheap shots over his career that he very well may have purposely went at his knees to try to hurt him.

It WAS intentional...He's running an option offense.

The ref made a mistake...It wanst a pass.

You cant allow the QB not to be hit on an option play or you'll never stop it

I agree that it wasn't roughing the passer. However, I still think Suggs is a dirty player if based on nothing but his reputation alone. 

No, I agree with the person I heard say today how about you don't run the read option with your QB in the pre-season?

Honestly If you run that offense your exposIng your QB to take hits so when he does don't get upset about it because that whole play design is based in part on fooling the defense into not covering your QB so he can get big yards. You can't get mad at the defense for not falling for it and covering a guy who might have the ball.

As for going low that's how the league has taught defenders to hit now. If you go high, especially on a QB you are risking a flag so defenders hit low now.

There's no doubt in my mind that Suggs could've wrapped Bradford around the waist just as easily as hitting the knees. It comes down to poor selection play by the Eagles in preseason, and the unwillingness by Suggs to change his objective.

Assuming on both parts, makes you know what out of you and me.

It looked to me that he clearly didn't have the ball...and that Suggs went low when he could have just shoved the qb or wrapped him up or something. It looked like he was taking a cheap shot although I have no way of knowing his intentions. I would say if you run the read option your likely to get hit as a qb....but if you take more than a couple steps towards the qb after the ball is gone and still hit him...well to me that is unnecessary.

Plan and simple....Don't run the read option with a non read option QB but I did cringe for Bradford...Legal hit. if this was not Bradford this would not be a big deal

Bingo! The Read option meant Sam was a runner not entitled to normal QB protection in that particular case. Suggs also didn't really come at Bradford with full fledged intensity either. 

Hey, Sam knew the risk in running that play & I'm tired of QBs getting special treatment when pass rushers get hamstrung so often with penalties on the field. 

I don't want to see any player severely injured naturally, but when I saw Sam give that look of disbelief on screen, I was like loosen up Sam this is football man not frisbee throwing in the park man. 

No, I agree with the person I heard say today how about you don't run the read option with your QB in the pre-season?

Honestly If you run that offense your exposIng your QB to take hits so when he does don't get upset about it because that whole play design is based in part on fooling the defense into not covering your QB so he can get big yards. You can't get mad at the defense for not falling for it and covering a guy who might have the ball.

As for going low that's how the league has taught defenders to hit now. If you go high, especially on a QB you are risking a flag so defenders hit low now.

Precisely GC8818, if a LB or DE can't hit QBs high due to concussion fears, their legs & lower extremities will be a natural byproduct of more contact, collisions, & tackles. In addition, the QB is a moving not stationary target too which makes the strike zone of impact a fluid not frozen bullseye as well. 

Not a dirty hit in the slightest. Just a crazy play to even attempt in a meaningless game. A great post BTW. I agree with every single solitary word you wrote. 

I'd heard other people claim that Suggs has a reputation for being dirty, it's just preseason, & why take away a dude's inability to pay their mortgage & put food on the table for their families?

1.T-sizzle isn't ruthless. He just plays the sport of football with the proper level of organized chaos typically misconstrued as reckless abandonment. 2. Does HC Chip Kelly bear any responsibility in running that play at all? What if Bradford would have been injured yet again? Why is this 90% Sugg's fault? 3. Injuries can happen anytime; anywhere...In preseason, on the practice field, the regular season, shooting hoops at home with your friends & family. 

Why are so many people alarmed by Suggs tackle when Bradford has done nothing to warrant the elite QB status of say Rogers, Brees, Brady, Big Ben, Manning, Luck, or Rivers?

That's what astounds me the most: Acting like Sam Bradford has done enough to dictate esteemed QB classification, if God forbid, he went down with another season ending injury. Are you kidding me? haha  

A dirty player to me is someone like Ndamukong Suh or former 49ers/Raiders LB Bill Romanowski not Terrell Suggs. 

Bingo! The Read option meant Sam was a runner not entitled to normal QB protection in that particular case. Suggs also didn't really come at Bradford with full fledged intensity either. 

Hey, Sam knew the risk in running that play & I'm tired of QBs getting special treatment when pass rushers get hamstrung so often with penalties on the field. 

I don't want to see any player severely injured naturally, but when I saw Sam give that look of disbelief on screen, I was like loosen up Sam this is football man not frisbee throwing in the park man. 

"Hey, Sam knew the risk in running that play"

From what I understand Bradford did not call that play. I think that was a Chip Kelly call though he claimed it was not a read option....It looked like one, Sam was reading the uncovered man on the defense (Suggs). Kelly said he had different types of runs out of shotgun which of course is true but when your back in shotgun with only 1 rb and your QB is READING the free man and extending the ball in the typical read option look then the OPTION is there...Suggs just eliminated that option...Yes Suggs had time to pull up on the play

I'd heard other people claim that Suggs has a reputation for being dirty, it's just preseason, & why take away a dude's inability to pay their mortgage & put food on the table for their families?

1.T-sizzle isn't ruthless. He just plays the sport of football with the proper level of organized chaos typically misconstrued as reckless abandonment. 2. Does HC Chip Kelly bear any responsibility in running that play at all? What if Bradford would have been injured yet again? Why is this 90% Sugg's fault? 3. Injuries can happen anytime; anywhere...In preseason, on the practice field, the regular season, shooting hoops at home with your friends & family. 

Why are so many people alarmed by Suggs tackle when Bradford has done nothing to warrant the elite QB status of say Rogers, Brees, Brady, Big Ben, Manning, Luck, or Rivers?

That's what astounds me the most: Acting like Sam Bradford has done enough to dictate esteemed QB classification, if God forbid, he went down with another season ending injury. Are you kidding me? haha  

A dirty player to me is someone like Ndamukong Suh or former 49ers/Raiders LB Bill Romanowski not Terrell Suggs. 

Two things

1.If a dude cant pay his mortgage and feed his family on millions of dollars then he needs to find a payee to help manage his money or learn the value of a dollar real quick and invest and save

2.The hit wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be honestly I don't think. Suggs wrapped his arms around Bradfords legs tugging them out from under him causing Bradford to spin around, Suggs could have went high but then he risks a helmet to helmet hit and a 15 yard penalty

"Hey, Sam knew the risk in running that play"

From what I understand Bradford did not call that play. I think that was a Chip Kelly call though he claimed it was not a read option....It looked like one, Sam was reading the uncovered man on the defense (Suggs). Kelly said he had different types of runs out of shotgun which of course is true but when your back in shotgun with only 1 rb and your QB is READING the free man and extending the ball in the typical read option look then the OPTION is there...Suggs just eliminated that option...Yes Suggs had time to pull up on the play

I didn't watch that Eagles vs Ravens game from beginning to end, but I did see the play in question on my TV though. Yeah, you're probably Gavin. I'm sure Chip told Sam what to run on the play call sheet. It just bothers me when some journalists act like pass rushers are crude savages whereas QBs are supposed to be treated like some rare exotic bird on the endangered species list. 

Having said all that...If Luck went down in a similar fashion, I'd be quite miffed myself. So, I will cut diehard Eagles fans a break here in fairness to their green, brotherly love allegiance as a team. 

Two things

1.If a dude cant pay his mortgage and feed his family on millions of dollars then he needs to find a payee to help manage his money or learn the value of a dollar real quick and invest and save

2.The hit wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be honestly I don't think. Suggs wrapped his arms around Bradfords legs tugging them out from under him causing Bradford to spin around, Suggs could have went high but then he risks a helmet to helmet hit and a 15 yard penalty

Ah huh, starting franchise QBs in this league are pulling down some nice coin financially. Yes, setting aside money for a rainy day/retirement is important, but bad investments in deals that fall thru can happen to a number of athletes. However, I will concede that throwing your money away on lavish purchases often leads to bankruptcy that's true.

Yep, considering how nicely Suggs took Bradford down as opposed to what he would have down during the regular season, I was like chill Sam. There is nothing to complain about here or give bewildered looks to Suggs over. To me, T-sizzle was just saying welcome back to the NFL Sammy. Get used to looking at the sky on your back son. Just Kidding!  

While the hit was low, I believe the NFL stated that a QB running the read option if fair game to be hit even if he does not have the ball.

At times, the difference between a read option and regular hand off can be so small that is hard to tell the difference.

At times, the difference between a read option and regular hand off can be so small that is hard to tell the difference.

Very true, but that play did have the look of a read option and I don't think that defensive players should be responsible to tell the difference.

Very true, but that play did have the look of a read option and I don't think that defensive players should be responsible to tell the difference.

Well i stirred up some stanky stuff with my comment. 

Defensive players need to be aware of what type of play it is and where they can tackle to avoid getting penalized.  I thought it was a late hit cause it looked like the RB was a few steps gone when Bradford got hit.  Its a QB for crying out loud, do you really need to go for his legs?  Not at all, imo.

Well i stirred up some stanky stuff with my comment. 

Defensive players need to be aware of what type of play it is and where they can tackle to avoid getting penalized.  I thought it was a late hit cause it looked like the RB was a few steps gone when Bradford got hit.  Its a QB for crying out loud, do you really need to go for his legs?  Not at all, imo.

It was a low hit in my opinion, but that play looked like a read option and the Qb no long has the same protections as he would if he was passing. Since that play looked like a read option it was Suggs responsibility to hit the Qb, that is what defensive players are taught to do when defending the read option.

Going after a QB in a preseason game is a new low for Suggs IMO.

playing within the rules is not low.  the league confirmed the flag was a mistake- http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/24/dean-blandino-confirms-suggs-hit-on-bradford-is-not-a-foul/

would you agree that having Oline men check in as eligible receivers to confuse the defense is also dirty?

to quote tom brady himself "study the rules"