Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Matt the answer behind Luck at this point?

bluephantom87

"Is Matt the answer behind Luck at this point?"

Absolutely NOT!  The guy is past being able to move the team in any real game.

I would like to see Grigs pick up a vet and get rid of this guy, but it is probably too late now for this season.

If Luck gets dinged for a few games the Colts will just take a string of losses.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after a spectacular career with playoffg experience..why on earth would you doubt Hasselbeck.

I saw no decline in skills last year..and put no stock in pre-season games

I know Matt is a great teammate by all accounts (mentor etc.) but lord forbid if something happened to Luck I'm not sold on Matt to win ballgames without a dominate defense. I was all in for Matt as the backup behind a young Luck providing some veteran leadership to help with Luck's growth on a team that was ahead of schedule. Now going into a season with SB expectations by many, Matt with turn 40 when the season starts and I for one see the decline in skills that surfaced last season but I figured Matt would not be re-signed. I think Grigs is playing with fire especially with that suspect o-line. Thoughts?  

Yes Matt is the best guy to back up Luck because he have the veteran status and has been in the Colts system for 3 years. He has playoffs and Superbowl experience. Now if the Colts decides to go with 3 QBs, I think Bennett does not qualify for that job. If you really want a rushing QB than go with a guy that has playoffs experience, I would take Tebow. All that guy do is WIN. I'm not joking either. 

For this year, yes.  Most likely, there's nobody out there that is better.  Next year, we need to think about replacing a 42 y/o QB who isn't nearly what he used to be.

He will be 40 by the time next season starts, Not 42

He has no arm left.

It showed last year. It was on clear display Sunday that this has gotten worse. 

I was happy to have him when he first arrived. I am happy that we had such an accomplished vet to help usher in Mr Luck. But the time has passed him by, apparently. 

Heaven forbid Andrew gets hurt, all Matt can do it seems is manage the game by throwing screens and handing the ball off. He won't be leading any comebacks with that arm. 

He's not worth 4m per. Not my call though.

I think Polian had the right idea with Painter. He was cheap and insured that we would have the first selection in the next year's draft.

Without Painter we would have no Luck.

Steel man..Ive got to believe you're kidding.

It was Luck we have Luck...remember..we won 2 of our last 3 games in 2011....we almost had RG3

He's not worth 4m per. Not my call though.

I think Polian had the right idea with Painter. He was cheap and insured that we would have the first selection in the next year's draft.

Without Painter we would have no Luck.

So, are you suggesting that if Luck has a season ending injury, the Colts tank and win the first pick in the draft? What then, draft another franchise QB and cast Luck aside?

It seems like you can't predict these things. Take a flyer on a young or unknown backup. Cassel, Warner, and Garcia came out of nowhere. Take a flyer on developing a guy rather than sticking with some 40 backup in the hopes you will be in the games.

No team is set up for a season ending injury to their franchise qb and still think they can win it all. What the real question is if Andrew goes down for a few games do we have someone that can keep our heads above water until he returns....ala when Aaron Rodgers went down a couple years ago or when Big Ben went down. I'd say we don't have that answer. I think we have a guy that can come into a game that is currently going and still help us win...and maybe we could game plan another start and get a win for him against some lesser talent but overall I don't think if we had to start him for 4 or 5 games we could expect much more than 1 win out of him. He is extremely limited on his throws outside the numbers...I mean almost literaly can't make a 15 yd out throw without a lot of space because his arm strength isn't there to throw it with any zip. That was evident the other day for sure. Honestly for what we were paying I was hoping to get a little younger but experienced qb to come in. I was big on Colt Mccoy or Tarvais Jackson type of player...someone with some talent and experience but not a top tier back up. That said we could go out and get RGIII and continue our assualt at the 2012 top draft pics lol.

Is there realistically any answer behind Luck?

no. That's thing other than the Pats the year they lost Brady, and were the exception to the rule, if you are lucky enough to have one of those five truly special QBs in the NFL if he gets hurt for extended period of time your done.

Lol..not a lot of options out there though.  Hasselback is game manager at this point.  Our run game looks decent, and he showed some accuracy in throws 15 yards and less. He is by now means going to stretch the field though.

But who else would you rather have?.....Vick?....Young?.....

Lol..not a lot of options out there though.  Hasselback is game manager at this point.  Our run game looks decent, and he showed some accuracy in throws 15 yards and less. He is by now means going to stretch the field though.

Hopefully Matt can find some mojo should we need him.  But I would dump Bennett in a NY minute.  I'd rather look at Connor Halliday.  Is Tyler Thigpen or Jason Campbell still out there?

I always wondered how good Luck could be behind a good offensive line and running attack.

As long as Grigson is here.. we will never know.

might want to look at the running numbers in the pre-season. Over 4 yards a carry and over 100 yards as a team. The run game, at least in pre-season looks to be drastically improved.

Lots of backup quality QB's that will be FA's next year.  Here's a few names.

Matt McGloin

Case Keenum

Brock Osweilder - I think he will look for a place that he can compete for a stater job though.

Matt Flynn

Kirk Cousins

Jimmy Clausen

Scott Tolzien

Kellen Clemens

TJ Yates

Colt McCoy

Austin Davis

Charle Whithurst

Matt Schaub

Matt Moore

Drew Stanton

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Matt Cassel

I think we should probably pick among them.  

Matt Moore and Drew Stanton are some of the best backups out there.  We'll have to pay for them, probably about what we are paying Hasselbeck now.  

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Schaub.  He made some bad mistakes, no question but his dumping seemed a little quick.  I'd have a hard time he wouldn't be at least a decent backup.

Didn't Matt McGloin do a decent job before they drafted Carr?

Kirk Cousins might be a name to look at.  He's pretty up and down but a new place and working for a functional organization (Washington is one of the most dysfunctional teams in the league right now.) might make him decent.

Fitzpatrick and Cassel are more of journeymen starters so they will probably get the call from some other team that lacks a QB and likely won't be interested in backup duty.  

• 1 month later...

I know Matt is a great teammate by all accounts (mentor etc.) but lord forbid if something happened to Luck I'm not sold on Matt to win ballgames without a dominate defense. I was all in for Matt as the backup behind a young Luck providing some veteran leadership to help with Luck's growth on a team that was ahead of schedule. Now going into a season with SB expectations by many, Matt with turn 40 when the season starts and I for one see the decline in skills that surfaced last season but I figured Matt would not be re-signed. I think Grigs is playing with fire especially with that suspect o-line. Thoughts?

I did not se a decline in skills.

Dont worry. Matt H will be fine....Playing with the first string....you'll see..

If the line can protect him and block for Frank G....we'll be fine Sunday

Matt H. hasnt played in a game that matered..any a analysis of his 'skills decline' are a guess.

With a game Thursday, I'd sit Andrew...Sunday

Blue, you get a cookie for predicting this.