Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Game 1 Recap & Thoughts

Caleb3502

Anyone know when the joint practices with Chicago begin? I know it's this week, just wasn't sure if today was an off-day, or if they're right back at it.

I think Wednesday. Could be wrong but feel like I read or heard that somewhere.

LuckIsAwesome doing my job learning from me doing my job haha

Yes, we join Wednesday. Tomorrow Colts have their own practice then Wednesday the Bears come to town for 2 day practice. Friday is the little walk through rest kinda day. Saturday is the game

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most of us I watch this preseason "football" because it is football. I hate to see the Colts look bad, win or lose so watching first preseason it is all I can do to just chalk it up as a meaningless game even though it is not. So the Bears are next and I will watch again (the Bears are my NFC team) and again win or lose I'll say "it' a meaningless game" even though it is not.

Exactly. No game is "meaningless". Just move on and get the bugs out.

The lack of coaching that concerned me wasn't X's and O's, it was really bad tackling and footwork, even from some front line players. Of all the Pre-Season games I have seen so far, the Colts looked weakest on fundamentals of anyone. Playing Philly and the final score isn't relevant to anything, but bad fundamentals IS relevant to how people are taking coaching.

Yeah but this is the NFL it's not high school. If players can't tackle it's not so much on the coaches anymore.

I have a grade for the game yesterday as well..."F" as in failure. As far as a suckfest I'll give it an "A". It seems from the chat room most of the folks are still living in fantasy football land. Fantasy football is something that guys that never played a down of football give advice to other people that have never played before about how to rate and grade the efforts of the players and the game as a whole. They arleady have a method for that and it's called a scoreboard. Grade "A" if you win, "F" if you lose. I hope the Colts fans get their heads out of fantasy land and realize we have a great starting offense, a lousy defense and pitiful depth outside the offensive skill positions. We should not, as fans put up with a meodiocre "kiss your sister" team....where is that "Monster" we were supposed to build? The coaching staff seems always to be reactive to what the other team is doing and we seldom set the tempo or dominate a game, we have been the beneficiary of a weak division for many years and should have 4-5 super bowls to show for it. Looks like we are going to repeat the Manning days with the Luck days and end up like the Braves of MLB, Irsay spend the money to get some defensive studs and lets win a couple of Super Bowls....NOW. Sorry, I needed that...whew!!!!

What fee agents were we supposed to have signed to satisfy you within the last 2 years?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 18, 2015 - streamable.com
Hidden by Nadine, August 18, 2015 - streamable.com

Post that GIF into the forum, I know how to do in on Draftbreakdown, But not live action like your link

Well, these videos are being hosted on *

The videos originated from NFL.com it looks like.

So someone took these videos off of NFL.com and uploaded them to *

Not sure why they did it but, it does seem to be less intrusive seeing as it is not being displayed with all of the other NFL.com mumbo jumbo.

Seems to load up faster as well IMO.

I'm rewatching right now, Tipton left so many yards on the field... 

I'd like to see some more of Toure next week. He did not show a lot of power but I thought he showed good burs,/speed shift and vision, Plus I'd like to see more Robinson, I think he is one of those running backs that gets better as the game progresses the more touches he gets

The game itself was a laugher (or cryer).  Playing plain vanilla soft D on Philly is only done to see if some guys can make some plays.  The entire defensive backfield was completely out of sinc.  Toler's timing was way off, but that happens when you give an NFL WR 5 yards to make a move on you with the ball.  They're going to have a lot of success.  Philly is a horrible draw for the first preseason game with all the read options as their standard offense.  The boys were also getting gassed (just like last year).  Everything else was pretty much a result of missed tackles.

On the bright side, clearly Josh Robinson had a good coming out party.  Some defenders reached out and got air, others found out the "little man" weighs 2 sumpin sumpin.  I think on first blush this guy is showing why his per carry average was so high in the SEC.  I'd love to see Gore, Boom, and Josh just beat em down in the 4th quarter.  Josh's running style does remind me a lot of Gore's.  Granted there is no real comparison now, but hope springs eternal.

The game itself was a laugher (or cryer).  Playing plain vanilla soft D on Philly is only done to see if some guys can make some plays.  The entire defensive backfield was completely out of sinc.  Toler's timing was way off, but that happens when you give an NFL WR 5 yards to make a move on you with the ball.  They're going to have a lot of success.  Philly is a horrible draw for the first preseason game with all the read options as their standard offense.  The boys were also getting gassed (just like last year).  Everything else was pretty much a result of missed tackles.

On the bright side, clearly Josh Robinson had a good coming out party.  Some defenders reached out and got air, others found out the "little man" weighs 2 sumpin sumpin.  I think on first blush this guy is showing why his per carry average was so high in the SEC.  I'd love to see Gore, Boom, and Josh just beat em down in the 4th quarter.  Josh's running style does remind me a lot of Gore's.  Granted there is no real comparison now, but hope springs eternal.

I think the D up front is a little soft because we don't have a real force at NT, which is essential in a 3-4. We need someone to eat up blockers and free up the ILBs, or someone who is going to make plays in the backfield.

Or not even just a NT, but we need a change changer on the line. Maybe its looking to far ahead but I really think the Colts first round pick in 2016 will be a D-Lineman or ILB. I like what I saw from Anderson and Parry, but we still need someone to bolster the line.

another great write up Superman... I'll be able to watch it tomorrow,but on the outdife looking in and seeing the scores.. it looks like again we were OUT Coached and ill prepared.... hope the tape shows different

When it is a preseason game...the coaches need to watch how the 'kids' do well and/or poorly.  This was a great challenge against a team that runs "NASCAR on Grass."  :)

Do not watch preseason football if you are expecting Cosmopolitan Ice cream, all you are going to get is VANILLA!

Another thing: Cam Johnson can't set an edge period, and he didn't do much as a pass rusher either. 

You might disagree, but if he makes the team, he will be mostly special teams which he is good at, and at Rush LB.  He was the master of over-running plays in this one.

So what's the bell curve you used to grade?

It has to be a big time curve.  I was not even there and I did not whiff like Muamba and Toler...add Jalil Brown on his whiff.  I would have a better PFF rating because I really tackled the fridge..:)

Tackling means keeping your head up.  These guys did not even attempt to wrap up.  With heads down...forget about it...

He was brutal.

Tipton ran hard the whole time he was in.  Our first unit up the middle was very poor at run blocking.  Herremans was blown back numerous times, Holmes had issues, and Louis was nothing to brag about.

I will only say he did not miss holes like Trent R in the Raiders preseason game.  That was funny

One thing I have seen is how poorly the punt team was.  One thing about this particular day is....Pat McAfee was out-kicking the coverage.  He has done this a lot in the past, and I think the coaching staff told him to kick it as far as he could to 'see what the guys can do' running and reacting.

Pat to me is the best punter in the league now.  He knows direction punting as well as when to blast it and when not to.  He is exception at pinning the other team deep.  I do believe that this was a challenge to guys who wanted to make this team....or not.

Two more players I had my eye on was Denzelle Good and Ulrick John.  I personally came out pleased with both.  I also like the attitude of David Arkin even though he got flagged for unnecessary roughness.

Good showed us a couple of things.  He moves people easily.  This kid is BIG and athletic.  While he was flawless in his pass blocking, He needs to learn how to get to his blocks quicker in the run game.  A lot of times he would head simply forward to block his man, not angling his body and driving his man 'out.'  I saw him with a couple of his blocks 6 yards dow  feid...:)

The Colts liked Ulrick John when we got him, and yesterday he was very good in the passing game.  As all of our linemen, he needs work in the run game.  The kid is strong.

Eagles W 36-10

Offense

Passing Attack 

Andrew Luck look very good for the very few plays he was out there.  5 of 6 for 43 yards and was able to hook up with Dorsett 3 times for 31 yards and was able to connect with Johnson for a 9 yard gain on 3rd down.  Hasselbeck and Bennett were a combined 12 of 33 for 107 yards and two interceptions.  Hasselbeck was overthrowing WRs and Bennett just wasn't in rhythm at all.  Bennett was intercepted twice by S Ed Reynolds and was 4 of 16 for 35 yards.  Due to the low completion percentages of Hasselbeck and Bennett, there wasn't a lot to show for the WR group.  Dorsett had 4 grabs for 51 yards but fumbled on a 20 yard completion, which was also the longest play offensively for the Colts om that game. It's his first game so I'm not too concerned about that.  He just needs to show more awareness with the ball in his hands, and Eric Rowe did make a nice strip.  Carter was held to one catch for 16 yards. Tipton had 4 catches for 22 yards.  The offensive line wasn't really giving the QBs a real clean pocket which caused some of the mistakes.

Grade: D 

Just didn't see a lot of success with the 2nd and 3rd string passing attack.  

Rushing Attack 

Tipton was being fed the ball like a feature back in the first half of the game but wasn't running like it.  The run blocking wasn't too good, but Tipton was not doing a good job of evading tacklers.  He appears to lack vision when running towards the line and can't find the right way to run.  Tipton finished with 34 yards on 16 carries, 2.1 yards per carry.  I don't see Tipton making the 53-man roster.  He still has three games to prove himself, but he just does't seem to have a grasp on carrying the ball well.  Robinson I believe was a big plus in this game.  He was running hard and wasn't going down to easily.  Had a nice 3rd and goal TD run from the 9-yard line, where he was able to go off tackle to the left and bounce off of three defenders.  Finished with 10 carries for 44 yards, 4.4 yards per carry.  So far Robinson looks like a solid #3 RB.  Varga carried the ball three times for 16 yards, longest gain of 10.  Longest run of the day was Bennett, who had a 15 yard run.  Abou Torre got end-of-game carries and finished with 25 yards on 4 carries.  

Grade: C+

Robinson has a very good game but not a lot of rushing success outside of him.  

Offensive Player of the Game: HB Josh Robinson 

Defense

Run Defense

Colts defensive line seemed to have trouble with the read option and allowed to decent run gains.  The line didn't seem physical enough against the offensive line, and the Eagles running backs were able to some decent yardage on a couple of carries, but they didn't have a run of over 13 yards.  Henry Anderson was providing very good penetration in the time he saw in the first half and is so far looking like a great pick to help solidify the D-Line.  The defense didn't allow to many rushing yards, but the Eagles had a 4 yards per carry average as a team.  

Grade: B-

The run defense didn't look awful.  Probably being generous here with a B-, but all in all they didn't seem to bad. Would like to see better containment on the QB during read option.  They haven't had a lot of practice against the up tempo offense and the read option based offense that the Eagles run.    

Passing Defense

The pass defense look very good the first couple plays but really started to give up big passing players.  Toler broke up a couple passes early on but was lost on a throw to Agholor, who would then run in for the TD.  Barkley was looking really comfortable in the pocket and was completing a lot of his passes and gaining a lot of yardage.  They allowed 8 pass plays of 18 yards or more.  Deveron Carr was getting beat on plays and Casey wasn't looking too great either.  D'Joun Smith had to come out of the game due to a concussion.  Geathers had some nice tackles but was looking "iffy" in coverage.  Pass rush was really lacking in this game, but  ILB Junior Sylvestre had two sacks and DL Earl Okine had one sack.  Werner had a nice pass deflection on the line that led to a Herrera INT.

Grade: D 

Not a lot of good pass defense in this one.  

Defensive Player of the Game: ILB Junior Sylvestre with 2 sacks.  Amarlo Herrera also had a nice game with 5 tackles and an INT.

Special Teams

Coverage on punts were looking good until seconds to go before the half, when Barner ran a punt back 93 yards for the TD.  McAfee had some long punts in this game but also had a few short ones.  Vinatieri made a 32 yard field and converted on an XP attempt.  Carter had 1 KR for 24 yards out to the 19-yard line, Tipton had a 22 yard return, and Quan Bray had a 32-yard return with seconds remaining in the 4th quarter.  Bray also had 3 PRs for 5 yards and Dorsett had one PR for 5 yards.  

Grade: C

Outside the TD, the special teams were the main positive in the game.  I'm not too concerned about the punt coverage, and I'm sure the mistakes will be fixed in practices this week.

Hey, it's the first preseason game and mistakes are going to happen.  It's backups playing so there isn't anything major to complain about. Let's see how they do next game.  Who were your players of the game and what did you think about this game?

Hasselback had a Super clean pocket.

And you are pumping Henry Anderson. I was surprised how big he is and he didn`t show any quickness.

That moment you realize Andrew would've been perfect on the day if not for Stone Hands Fleener

:sigh:

Just another 8 yd pass that was too high and back shoulder by the leagues repeat QB dropped pass leader. Will he ever learn??

I believe he has led the league all 3 of his seasons. Oh well. He was totally inept at it against NE. Bill knows.

It no wonder he hates the short game the way he struggles with accuracy.

@MyColtsAccount: Top-Graded Colts on Defense:

Parry (+4.3)

Okine (+3.8)

Werner (+2.8)

Quarles (+1.9)

H. Anderson (+1.9)

C. Anderson (+1.9)

Adongo (+1.5)

@MyColtsAccount: Top-Graded Colts on Offense:

Thornton (+2.8)

Robinson (+1.8)

John (+1.6)

Doyle (+1.1)

Bennett will an impressive (-8.2).

Interesting.  I missed this post.  Thornton may see some LG duties this week.  I thing he is much stronger than Lance Louis.  I would still like to see Reitz come back to LG.  He and Castonzo communicate well.

I agree with Okine as well.  This guy shows a mean streak.  When he hit someone you could really hear it!!!

Two more players I had my eye on was Denzelle Good and Ulrick John.  I personally came out pleased with both.  I also like the attitude of David Arkin even though he got flagged for unnecessary roughness.

Good showed us a couple of things.  He moves people easily.  This kid is BIG and athletic.  While he was flawless in his pass blocking, He needs to learn how to get to his blocks quicker in the run game.  A lot of times he would head simply forward to block his man, not angling his body and driving his man 'out.'  I saw him with a couple of his blocks 6 yards dow  feid... :)

The Colts liked Ulrick John when we got him, and yesterday he was very good in the passing game.  As all of our linemen, he needs work in the run game.  The kid is strong.

I liked what I saw from Good too, I was rooting for this kid just for the fact when he was drafted ever expert had this vacant "Who the heck is this guy" expression on their faces.

I'm gonna get the "Men are from Mars Hill" joke in first :P

When it is a preseason game...the coaches need to watch how the 'kids' do well and/or poorly.  This was a great challenge against a team that runs "NASCAR on Grass."   :)

Do not watch preseason football if you are expecting Cosmopolitan Ice cream, all you are going to get is VANILLA!

Lol, I think you mean Neapolitan ice cream, boss......

3179924116_22537f4b3a_b.jpg

Dang....now I want ice cream

You might disagree, but if he makes the team, he will be mostly special teams which he is good at, and at Rush LB.  He was the master of over-running plays in this one.

When I rewatched, I noticed he did have some pass rushes. At least two. And yes he's a good special teamer, but I don't think we'll have a 6th OLB spot for ST. I have Cole, Walden, Werner, Newsome and Hodges ahead of Johnson after one game. Plus Mathis on PUP.

I think the D up front is a little soft because we don't have a real force at NT, which is essential in a 3-4. We need someone to eat up blockers and free up the ILBs, or someone who is going to make plays in the backfield.

Or not even just a NT, but we need a change changer on the line. Maybe its looking to far ahead but I really think the Colts first round pick in 2016 will be a D-Lineman or ILB. I like what I saw from Anderson and Parry, but we still need someone to bolster the line.

Dominant NT are a fairly rare thing. I agree, we need one.