Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duron Carter!

needanoline63

Taller? Yes*. Stronger? No. Faster? Certainly not.

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited for Carter's potential, but that's all that it is right now.

*Moncrief's vert was about 6.5 inches better than Carter's coming out of college

To be clear,  all you've done is make a case for Moncrief based on his measurables.

But you don't know who has better hands?    Runs better routes?    Reads defenses better?      And all of these qualities are just as important if not more.     

Right now,  we have a nice problem.   The three WR's fighting it out for sports 3, 4, and 5 are all doing really, really well.   In the grand scheme of things,  whatever order they come out in,  the Colts are deep and loaded!          :thmup:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be clear,  all you've done is make a case for Moncrief based on his measurables.

But you don't know who has better hands?    Runs better routes?    Reads defenses better?      And all of these qualities are just as important if not more.     

Right now,  we have a nice problem.   The three WR's fighting it out for sports 3, 4, and 5 are all doing really, really well.   In the grand scheme of things,  whatever order they come out in,  the Colts are deep and loaded!          :thmup:

fully agree'd.  But can Indy pay for them all in the long run?

Sure.....   in two or three years, Andre Johnson will be off the payroll.

And having too much talent is a problem all teams would love to have.     Better too much than too little!

Somehow these things all have a way of working themselves out.     And one of the ways it will is that the salary cap is expected to go up roughly $10 mill per year over the life of the next CBA.    There will be plenty of room for all who we want to keep!

Really.    Not making that up.     If we want 'em,  we'll find a way to keep 'em.

To be clear, he was the one who made the claims on the measurables, I just denied them.

And Moncrief has actually played in the NFL and been moderately successful, especially when you consider he was a 21 year old rookie (Carter is 2.5 years older with no NFL exp). Carter is a much bigger unknown quantity right now.

To be clear, he was the one who made the claims on the measurables, I just denied them.

And Moncrief has actually played in the NFL and been moderately successful, especially when you consider he was a 21 year old rookie (Carter is 2.5 years older with no NFL exp). Carter is a much bigger unknown quantity right now.

DM doesnt even have 500 career receiving yards.  i dont want to nit pick him too much, becasue i like the guy, but a good chunk of the yardage he did get was against the jags and titans, both of whom have terrible secondaries.

if you havent watched any carter tape, id recommmend doing that.  the guy still has tons of upside, and could easily end up being a better player overall than DM

the cfl basically took the place of his college career.  he is just as ready as any of this years rookies.

Taller? Yes*. Stronger? No. Faster? Certainly not.

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited for Carter's potential, but that's all that it is right now.

*Moncrief's vert was about 6.5 inches better than Carter's coming out of college

Also, Moncrief is one of the most explosive WRs in the NFL from an athletic standpoint. His broad, vert, 40, and 10 are all at the minimum in the 80th percentile or WRs. 

DM doesnt even have 500 career receiving yards.  i dont want to nit pick him too much, becasue i like the guy, but a good chunk of the yardage he did get was against the jags and titans, both of whom have terrible secondaries.

if you havent watched any carter tape, id recommmend doing that.  the guy still has tons of upside, and could easily end up being a better player overall than DM

the cfl basically took the place of his college career.  he is just as ready as any of this years rookies.

He had a combined 123 yards vs the Jags and Titans...He had 113 alone vs Pitt.......Also keep in mind he did this playing roughly only 411 offensive snaps during the regular season

Duron Carter has 0 career yards. And, yes, you're nitpicking big time. 450 yards for a 21 Y/O rookie WR who was barely used until the 2nd half of the season (ran 275 routes to TYs 603) is pretty darn good.

The positive spin is we have 5 WR's that can equate to other teams 1 or 2 WR's. This will allow us to give AJ some plays off and quality backups when someone goes down with an injury. When we lost Reggie last year there wasn't a quality backup and narrowed our focus to TY, Fleenor and Moncrief to a point. So now there should be no fall off is we lose a WR for a week or two.

Moncrief runs a 4.4 flat. Carter is like a 4.6 guy.

. Jerry Rice ran a sub 4.7. I believe in game speed more than track speed. It's going to be great competition, but I really want to us to establish a respectable run game. Play action can be deadly with our weapons.

. Jerry Rice ran a sub 4.7. I believe in game speed more than track speed. It's going to be great competition, but I really want to us to establish a respectable run game. Play action can be deadly with our weapons.

Moncrief is faster on the field too.

He had a combined 123 yards vs the Jags and Titans...He had 113 alone vs Pitt.......Also keep in mind he did this playing roughly only 411 offensive snaps during the regular season

Duron Carter has 0 career yards. And, yes, you're nitpicking big time. 450 yards for a 21 Y/O rookie WR who was barely used until the 2nd half of the season (ran 275 routes to TYs 603) is pretty darn good.

he also had 134 against the redskins.  so over 50% over his 444 yards came aginst the worst secondaries in the league.  the steelers were not exactly great in that department either.

he had a decent rookie year we all know that, all i am getting at is dorsett or even carter should get a fair chance to beat him out on the depth chart

his 444 yard rookie season is hardly enough to warrent veteran status and a lock on the #3 WR

The CFL is probably a step above any college, and a step below the NFL.

4 WR Sets with Hilton, and Dorsett as Burners with big bodied Johnson and Carter has me frothing at the mouth, and surely is causing preemptive nightmares for opposing DC's. Throw Fleener / Allen into the mix, I don't know how anyone can possibly defend that.

I don't think it's possible to stop this aerial attack, even if you drop 6 DB's into coverage, I think we will still be able to throw it, Defenses will not be able to dictate how we play the game this season and that is HUGE. If they want to drop 6 in coverage, what will they do when we play action fake to Gore?

This season records will be broken.

What happened to Moncrief?

I've been saying this since dorsett was drafted. Especially for week 1 vrs. the Bill's. Sure they have a strong front seven...but best way to deal with that is play a 4 wide set. How damaging is that front 7 when it turns into a front 5....and have to put so-so corners on 4 good/great receivers?....And how much would Gore be grinning from ear-to-ear if he lines up seeing dime formation with safeties backed up cause of the speed they have to cover?

That smile will quickly fade if the line continues to collapse like it does.

That smile will quickly fade if the line continues to collapse like it does.

That's where Luck has to find the open man faster. With the skill positions as full as they are now, he should be able to exploit the opposing defense immediately and have the ball gone. Teams will try sending 5 or 6 at Luck, but I think once Luck abuses that, teams will have to sit back and try rushing with just their main front to get to Luck, that's when Gore takes over.

That's where Luck has to find the open man faster. With the skill positions as full as they are now, he should be able to exploit the opposing defense immediately and have the ball gone. Teams will try sending 5 or 6 at Luck, but I think once Luck abuses that, teams will have to sit back and try rushing with just their main front to get to Luck, that's when Gore takes over.

He was talking about Gore liking a soft box. I was joking about the line collapsing on gore, luck can't do anything about that.

He was talking about Gore liking a soft box. I was joking about the line collapsing on gore, luck can't do anything about that.

Ahh.. he was also talking about the 4 receiver sets as well, and that's what I was referring to. Sorry, I misinterpreted what you were getting at... Gore will be fine as long as Pep doesn't have the majority of his runs come from power/jumbo-sets. Spread that defense out and let Gore go to work.

We COULD (not for sure)

Have 4 amazing WR's on this team

Most NFL teams have 1 or 2...........

3 things would probably happen if (a HUGE IF) this occcurs

1) The player that fits the least in this group....... will be traded for some needed spots elsewhere (Or for a decent draft pick)

2) The least value/ most overpaid will be allowed to leave when contract expires

3) Becuase there are only so many balls to be thrown in a game, players ranked 3-4 in this group, dont get the chance to highlight their skills, dont get the needed stats.......and end up being underpaid..... unfortunately for them, allowing us to keep all 4........

What happened to Moncrief?

I don't see him as more than the 5th WR at this point. that is my opinion, but he is more of a speed guy. We already have that in Dorsett and Hilton, and I feel both of them are better than Moncrief. Carter & Johnson fill specific needs in this offense, not really in the same speed WR group that has Hilton and Dorsett.

We COULD (not for sure)

Have 4 amazing WR's on this team

Most NFL teams have 1 or 2...........

3 things would probably happen if (a HUGE IF) this occcurs

1) The player that fits the least in this group....... will be traded for some needed spots elsewhere (Or for a decent draft pick)

2) The least value/ most overpaid will be allowed to leave when contract expires

3) Becuase there are only so many balls to be thrown in a game, players ranked 3-4 in this group, dont get the chance to highlight their skills, dont get the needed stats.......and end up being underpaid..... unfortunately for them, allowing us to keep all 4........

I have a feeling number 1 is most likely

No, no team can. But it's still a nice problem to have. There are teams that would kill to have half the WR talent we have. Make no mistake, whoever we release will get picked up faster than a $100 bill lying on the street.

No, no team can. But it's still a nice problem to have. There are teams that would kill to have half the WR talent we have. Make no mistake, whoever we release will get picked up faster than a $100 bill lying on the street.

And now with T.Y.'s extension, think on this:  Carter is on a 1 year, base min. salary.  Meaning if he 'shows up' the little he plays this year, we probably will loose him to another team next offseason...

I say we keep 6. TY, Andre, Phillip, Moncrief, Carter, Whalen. 

They have Brown as the 6th receiver on the depth chart and I have heard alot about

Quan Bray also. Whalen will be the bridesmaid again this year.

It says alot about our receiver corp if he can't sniff the top 6 or 7th position on this team.

EDIT: They have Zurlon Tipton as the 3rd string RB. Not sure how reliable that page is.

My money is on Bray with everything I have read and heard on making the cut if they 

actually do keep six receivers.

Andress & Bowen picked Carter as THE offensive standout of TC...

Jalil Brown as the defensive standout of TC.

It looks like both these guys are making the final 53.

Is this news to anyone?

Carter always was the front-runner for the 5th WR spot, and we're certainly carrying 5.   The question is will we carry 6?

And we always carry 5 corners.    So, after Davis, Toler, Smith and Butler,  someone was going to be 5.    Brown has been sensational.    I think he's had 5 interceptions so far.    He's as strong a candidate as any for the 5th corner, if not the front runner.

yeah, that was my meaning.in a 4 wide set, gore only has to deal with 5 maybe 6 in the box.  being in a 4 wide set keep some of buffalo's best defenders off the field.

The whole stacked box argument is kinda skwed with Gore. The 49ers probably ran far more jumbo sets than anyone else in the league.