Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp Thread 8/2/2015

TKnight24

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to happen, just hope there's no serious ones.

Thanks for the updates TK. I don't always agree with your posts but I appreciate your enthusiasm and fandom. Keep it up!

"I don't always agree with your post"

You wanna take this outside Smonroe?? :catfight:

:lol:

Disclaimer: I am not a scout. I am not a coach. I just like football and I watch a lot of it. My opinions are no better than anyone else's.

Attendance, as per usual, was quite high on the first day of camp so I didn't take detailed, higher volume of notes I usually do. Here are some quick thoughts, though, on what I saw at camp today:

1) As is usually tradition for the first week of camp, the offense was there better unit today by a large margin. The defense will likely catch up by next week.

2) There was virtually always someone open in the passing game.

3) While Luck is always a joy to watch, Hasselbeck had a stellar practice, making some pretty "wow" throws.

4) Philip Dorsett had a great practice. What pleased me most is he didn't just use his speed to get open, the guy had know apprehension in getting physical to create separation.

5) You can only judge so much from a limited contact practice session, but our running game looks to be at the very least "improved" if not potentially something special.

6) This probably surprises  no one, but Jack Mewhort did, in fact, line up at RT and he was solid all practice long.

Offensive Player of the Day: T.Y. Hilton- Hilton just commanded attention today. He caught just about everything that was thrown his way today which naturally included some beauties. He's definitely looking like he knows he's not going to just be handed his pay day.

Runner-UP: Frank Gore- Gore looked ageless and explosive this afternoon, frequently finding the hole, and making smart cuts. He nearly edged Hilton out for top honors.

Defensive Player of the Day: Vontea Davis- This was a tough one since the defense had a rough day, but Davis probably made the most plays including a pick six.

Runner-up: D'Joun Smith- He had some little mistakes such as giving his man too much cushion and paying for it, but seemed to read plays well and broke up a few passes.

Honorable Mention- Dorsett honestly kind of looked like the 2nd best WR on the field today and Doyle was the best TE today. Vincent Brown and Duron Carter had nice flashes too.

Worst of/Rough Day: Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, and Josh Robinson- These guys showed some nice flashes, but had multiple dropped passes and even just seemed to have this sluggish vibe about them. I'm never gonna just sweat one day of practice, but hopefully they bounce back soon.

I have to upload some pictures from today still but it was a fun practice to watch. Fleener dropped a few between 1 on 1 drills and scrimmage. Think D Allen dropped one also. TY was killing it. Johnson and Luck connected a handful of times. Gore hits the hole fast, he is going to be a great addition. Adams had a nice pick over Fleener and took it home with Vonte. We were able to see Mathis doing rush drills against tackling dummies and he looked like he has been working hard. Can't wait for him to be back. Ballard took 3rd team reps it looked like.

Disclaimer: I am not a scout. I am not a coach. I just like football and I watch a lot of it. My opinions are no better than anyone else's.

Attendance, as per usual, was quite high on the first day of camp so I didn't take detailed, higher volume of notes I usually do. Here are some quick thoughts, though, on what I saw at camp today:

1) As is usually tradition for the first week of camp, the offense was there better unit today by a large margin. The defense will likely catch up by next week.

3) While Luck is always a joy to watch, Hasselbeck had a stellar practice, making some pretty "wow" throws.

4) Philip Dorsett had a great practice. What pleased me most is he didn't just use his speed to get open, the guy had know apprehension in getting physical to create separation.

5) You can only judge so much from a limited contact practice session, but our running game looks to be at the very least "improved" if not potentially something special.

6) This probably surprises  no one, but Jack Mewhort did, in fact, line up at RT and he was solid all practice long.

Offensive Player of the Day: T.Y. Hilton- Hilton just commanded attention today. He caught just about everything that was thrown his way today which naturally included some beauties. He's definitely looking like he knows he's not going to just be handed his pay day.

Runner-UP: Frank Gore- Gore looked ageless and explosive this afternoon, frequently finding the hole, and making smart cuts. He nearly edged Hilton out for top honors.

Defensive Player of the Day: Vontea Davis- This was a tough one since the defense had a rough day, but Davis probably made the most plays including a pick six.

Runner-up: D'Joun Smith- He had some little mistakes such as giving his man too much cushion and paying for it, but seemed to read plays well and broke up a few passes.

Honorable Mention- Dorsett honestly kind of looked like the 2nd best WR on the field today and Doyle was the best TE today. Vincent Brown and Duron Carter had nice flashes too.

Worst of/Rough Day: Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, and Josh Robinson- These guys showed some nice flashes, but had multiple dropped passes and even just seemed to have this sluggish vibe about them. I'm never gonna just sweat one day of practice, but hopefully they bounce back soon.

How did Mewhort look at RT?

O and D linemen are going to be tough to assess in this kind of practice.  No pads, so you're basically just moving to your spot.  I guess you could tell if the could 'dance' with the OLB trying to rush the QB. 

We should have won that game too!!!  Wayne & Fleener both scored and both were called back. We drove the ball down to their 30 yard line i think. Then went 4-and-Out. Luck was sacked twice in those 4 Downs... I was shaking my head :angry:   ...but that was then and this is now. Hopefully our O-Line does a great job this season and the Colts hoist the Lombardi in Feb. 2016   :)

The following week I had a meeting in FL and the guy who presented the slides is a Dolphins fan.  He knew I went to the game so he included slides of Luck getting sacked and the picture of the final scoreboard.  

It was pretty funny but I'm hoping to pay him back this year.

It was 

I thought we had sufficient talent to win the Super Bowl last year. For whatever reasons, we weren't efficient, effective or healthy enough to realize the objective.  This leads me to believe that talent is only part of a SB winning program.

Or you totally overrated that talent

Any word on how Swoope looked? Or Adongo?

As far as the TE group went, I honestly liked what I saw from Swoope and Sinz the most. Fleener dropped some easy balls and Allen looked slow and out of shape. Swoope and Sinz caught my eye, making some impressive catches.

As for Adongo, nothing too notable. I will say he looks to have some quickness and a solid burst coming off the ball. He put a solid power rush on the LT (I don't remember who it was at the time), only to slip as he got close to the QB.

As far as the TE group went, I honestly liked what I saw from Swoope and Sinz the most. Fleener dropped some easy balls and Allen looked slow and out of shape. Swoope and Sinz caught my eye, making some impressive catches.

As for Adongo, nothing too notable. I will say he looks to have some quickness and a solid burst coming off the ball. He put a solid power rush on the LT (I don't remember who it was at the time), only to slip as he got close to the QB.

So what you're saying is that Fleener was being Fleener?

In general, defensive units are ahead of offensive units this time of year.

Thanks for the updates.

No way Allen is out of shape. They'll both be fine. They're probably just working off some rust/kinks.

From as good as I could see with the limited contact, he was very solid. I don't recall him getting beat at all, he did quite well using his strength to overpower when going 1-on-1. He might have a weakness or at the very least a learning curve when handling speed rushers though, as there were a couple times I noticed him using simply his reach and the weight of his body edge the quicker guys off of the quarterback. For a first day look, I'd say I'm feeling pretty good about him.

From as good as I could see with the limited contact, he was very solid. I don't recall him getting beat at all, he did quite well using his strength to overpower when going 1-on-1. He might have a weakness or at the very least a learning curve when handling speed rushers though, as there were a couple times I noticed him using simply his reach and the weight of his body edge the quicker guys off of the quarterback. For a first day look, I'd say I'm feeling pretty good about him.

Good to hear!!

Not sure where the D. Allen takeoffs are coming from. I was there and he looked about 10-15 pounds lighter and was quicker in his movements. Caught about every pass thrown his way too including a nice one in traffic. He'll be better this year.

Well there you go. You said it, you jinxed it. It goes without saying, so you don't say it!!

Two players already minorly hurt themselves... granted they arent starters or even fringe players on the roster (CB Jalil Brown & Guard David Arkin)..... Both left practice due to cramps. Nothing too serious but still...