Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Josh Robinson (Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

Reminds me if Trent Richardson (at Alabama), but more elusive... I definitely see the MJD comparison, but MJD was a lot faster.

What I thought was interesting about him is that his legs are so short that he reached top speed very quickly despite his lack of long speed. He doesn't run over guys or make them whiff so much as he's just really difficult to get a clean hit on. He's got wiggle in spades.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is #good, but also #unathletic.

Solid pick regardless.

From the highlight footage I've seen I don't know how anyone could call him unathletic. If "athletic" means "good combine measurables" then maybe. But I'll take an unathletic MJD clone any day of the week.

I'm not one to give detailed technical info on a player, as some of you are, but I am a Miss. State alum and I did watch every game they played last year.  So, take it for what it's worth. 

Dan Mullen, State's head coach was Tim Tebow's play caller at Florida. State runs a lot of Tebow like plays for Dak Prescott the QB.  If Dak didn't have a lane, he gave it to Josh.  Josh does look like MJD a lot though not as fast (as some of you have noted).  I believe he is a decisive runner.  I don't often see him hesitate like Trent Richardson did.  He does resemble a bowling ball.  He has a very low center of gravity which enables him to lower his head, hit the defender and somehow maintain his balance, make a spin move and keep running.  He did that a lot actually.  He gets positive yards when he shouldn't sometimes.  He is not afraid of contact at all.  He can get run down from behind though in the open field.  He is not that kind of back.  He looks like he hits full speed after 2 steps.  Dak wasn't a primary passing QB, so Josh wasn't required to pass block in the pocket a lot. 

So, that's not really any new info, but just to let you know that what you saw on highlights wasn't just 1 game.  He did that stuff every game and State relied on him heavily.

Sounds like my kind of back. In the NFL quickness thru the hole is much more important than top end speed.

Thanks for the insight. Seems like this kid really has it together, and is mature for his age. I have high hopes for him, from what I've seen on some highlights. He reminds me a lot of MJD, and I love that. I'm also not worried about the offense that he ran at Miss. State. I think as long as Pep is calling the right plays, and not making it completely obvious that we are going to run, Robinson will be fine. I did read an article that said he doesn't like to pick up his feet too much when running and that he is subject to be ankle tackled a lot. Thoughts on that?

He's definitely not a high stepper.  He might have issues with that, but his balance is so good, it's hard for me to believe he gets tackled a lot by his ankles.  I've seen people hit one leg and he shifts his weight to the other side and stays up.  He reminds me of MJD a little and a smaller version of a young Michael Turner kind of.  His lower body is just really strong.

From the highlight footage I've seen I don't know how anyone could call him unathletic. If "athletic" means "good combine measurables" then maybe. But I'll take an unathletic MJD clone any day of the week.

Ok

Sounds like my kind of back. In the NFL quickness thru the hole is much more important than top end speed.

Yep. A team doesn't need a fast back to prevent 3rd down from even occurring. A RB needs to have vision and a quick first step to be successful in this league. Make a decision and go, find the breach in the line before it forms. 

Reminds me of one Joe Washington. Any of you Colts history buffs remember him ? I'll never forget a Monday Night Football game against the Patriots in down-pouring rain. The guy virtually won that game on his own. That night, Howard Cosell got into a cauldron of extremely hot water by a comment he made. It was unintentional. But man, did he pay for it.

And no, I'm not gonna repeat it.

I'm sure we all get a good look at this guy in the preseason and hopefully NOT to our disappointment.

NFL draft compares him to Mike Tolbert but Tolbert is an inch taller and weighs like 240+.

Seems to me the guy does compare well to MJD but lacks the speed of MJD, however may be able to make up for that lack of speed in other ways.

He's definitely not a high stepper.  He might have issues with that, but his balance is so good, it's hard for me to believe he gets tackled a lot by his ankles.  I've seen people hit one leg and he shifts his weight to the other side and stays up.  He reminds me of MJD a little and a smaller version of a young Michael Turner kind of.  His lower body is just really strong.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Definitely love what you are saying :thmup:

Reminds me of one Joe Washington. Any of you Colts history buffs remember him ? I'll never forget a Monday Night Football game against the Patriots in down-pouring rain. The guy virtually won that game on his own. That night, Howard Cosell got into a cauldron of extremely hot water by a comment he made. It was unintentional. But man, did he pay for it.

Is that Joe Washington who wore the goggles?  If so, I used to really like that guy.

I figure most of those defenders were average 19-20- 21 year olds. I bet TRich would have broke 210. Get real.

Maybe to be informed you might just need to watch more highlights from multiple games .  As far as age goes DUh   ..

Having faith that T- Rich could have broke 210 after what we have seen in his Colts career  is delusional & just screams Get Real ..

Dude only been a fan since the mayflowers rolled into Indy  I was unaware of who Joe Washington was so I found the highlights of that game .

And man o man that dude did some amazing stuff that night  , He was running down the Patriots throats , Catching outta the backfield ,threw a TD & ran back a kick return for a game winning TD .

WOW  MNF sept 18 1978   Howard Cosell & Frank Gifford with the play by play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7erbANgBHo

For any who might be interested & want to watch some Colts from Baltimore  , Indys brother from another mother .

Is that Joe Washington who wore the goggles?  If so, I used to really like that guy.

Bingo, LockeDown! For a smaller guy, Joe Washington was a Texas Tornado at times. That night in Boston/New England he literally tore up the Patriots single handed as it were

... great game and great memories ...

:)

Dude only been a fan since the mayflowers rolled into Indy  I was unaware of who Joe Washington was so I found the highlights of that game .

And man o man that dude did some amazing stuff that night  , He was running down the Patriots throats , Catching outta the backfield ,threw a TD & ran back a kick return for a game winning TD .

WOW  MNF sept 18 1978   Howard Cosell & Frank Gifford with the play by play

For any who might be interested & want to watch some Colts from Baltimore  , Indys brother from another mother .

Yeah, Adonis1! Just posted a reply to LockeDown. One of my best memories as a ColtsFan! The game was simply incredible to watch and in a driving rain storm to boot. Loved every minute of it. Glad you posted this. Got another look. Thanks, man! :)

Yeah, Adonis1! Just posted a reply to LockeDown. One of my best memories as a ColtsFan! The game was simply incredible to watch and in a driving rain storm to boot. Loved every minute of it. Glad you posted this. Got another look. Thanks, man! :)

Your welcome  Joe Washington has inspired me to learn more about the pre Indy Colts ..

I have always just focused on The Indianapolis Colts because I was'nt a big fan of football prior to 84 .  IMO I was stupid .

We all should embrace the full history & learn from it what we can its not a Indy or Baltimore thing its a COLTS thing ,

I wonder who will be the group of RB's that will make the final roster. Very deep group with Frank Gore, Daniel Herron, Zurlon Tipton, Vick Ballard and now of course Josh Robinson. 

Grigs signed another big back named Abou Torre.  He's about 6'0" 230 and he's not bad at all.

I think he could give Tipton some issues.  We'll see what happens.

Maybe to be informed you might just need to watch more highlights from multiple games .  As far as age goes DUh   ..

Having faith that T- Rich could have broke 210 after what we have seen in his Colts career  is delusional & just screams Get Real ..

Chuckle.  It isn`t so much the age cowboy as much at best, the Average talent a Kentucky team would have.

And what Trent did in the NFL has no basis of comparison to what he was able to do against college level talent, even if it was the SEC.

He did rush for over 200 against Auburn tho.  Trent, the 4th pick in the draft, because in college some said, the best back since AP. 

I hope your guy is at least a practice squad guy.

Yep. A team doesn't need a fast back to prevent 3rd down from even occurring. A RB needs to have vision and a quick first step to be successful in this league. Make a decision and go, find the breach in the line before it forms.

Yes, speed is much overrated. Lol

Found this quote from the article before the draft...

"Josh Robinson: Mississippi State RB is NFL Draft Sleeper of the Year"

DRAFT STOCK

Because he declared after just one year of starting, Robinson’s name won’t be tossed around until other talent evaluators get to see more of his tape. For a guy that averaged over six yards per carry and had just over 300 attempts, Robinson’s upside is undeniable.
Unless anything else changes, I have Robinson as a second round player that could sneak into the first if a team likes him during interviews.

I wonder who will be the group of RB's that will make the final roster. Very deep group with Frank Gore, Daniel Herron, Zurlon Tipton, Vick Ballard and now of course Josh Robinson. 

That will be great to watch in camp. My eye will especially Tyler Varga. May be a dreamer a little, but got the chance to watch Yale several times last year when I had to travel, an man Varga looked amazing at times, almost never got stopped by the first guy that hit him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sJhch3cTHA

Now, it sounds like we're more dedicated to this power-running thing.  3 hard nosed runners in Robinson, Gore, and Herron, and another tough runner in Ballard if he comes back.

Still depends on if we have a good OL, doesn't matter how talented the backs are if there is no room to run!

Still depends on if we have a good OL, doesn't matter how talented the backs are if there is no room to run!

Agreed.  I think the OL is the major factor.  But don't discount the RB's skills.  We saw how big a difference vision and cutting ability make with Richardson and we know Frank Gore is much better at that.

Yep and maybe Herron I think

I think it's way to early to predict that.    It's not like we only go with two running backs.

Herron and Tipton have to be favored over Ballard at this point.    He's coming off of back-to-back leg injuries.

I think he's the odd man out right now....   at least until he shows he's fully healthy and can play.

Smaller version of Jerome Bettis, Bettis was obviously bigger but neither have/had a lot of acceleration but they are thick rb's that if they got up a head of steam can run right through ya, Not consistent speed threat to take it for a TD from anywhere on the field BUT they could pop a huge run on ya once in a while...Robinson isn't as agile and elusive as Lynch nor does he have quite the speed....BUT he alone has me excited for the season! Then throw in D'joun Smith! Finally depth at Corner with ability to start in 2016

The thing about Bettis was he was huge and still ran a 4.48 40.

I think it's way to early to predict that. It's not like we only go with two running backs.

Herron and Tipton have to be favored over Ballard at this point. He's coming off of back-to-back leg injuries.

I think he's the odd man out right now.... at least until he shows he's fully healthy and can play.

Finally a reality check on Ballard. The achilles injury for a running back is a step climb even if he hadn't tore up his knee the year before.

Abou Toure was just a try out guy at first, but as of Sunday the Colts just placed him on the roster as a UDFA contract player.

I was reading the Indy Star and found out they waived Terrell Hartsfield to make room for Abou Torre.

I think it's way to early to predict that.    It's not like we only go with two running backs.

Herron and Tipton have to be favored over Ballard at this point.    He's coming off of back-to-back leg injuries.

I think he's the odd man out right now....   at least until he shows he's fully healthy and can play.

your right, All we know for sure is Gore and Robinson at this point. Im just hoping that Ballard is fully healthy and can go, Though really I just want us to have a run game when we want