Colts Select Josh Robinson (Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im really lookin forward to watchin this dude play! He gets better the more touches he gets, He don't have great speed but once he builds up a head of steam he has some go to him

I hope everyone here is right about Robinson.

Saw one profile that said he got many of his yards due to the system MSU played and those yards will likely not be available to him in the NFL.

Hey,  he's a 6th round pick and a projected back-up,  so I'm OK with the pick.   He seems like a great kid with an amazing story.  

Easy to root for!    I just hope to manage some expectations.

I'm not one to give detailed technical info on a player, as some of you are, but I am a Miss. State alum and I did watch every game they played last year.  So, take it for what it's worth. 

Dan Mullen, State's head coach was Tim Tebow's play caller at Florida. State runs a lot of Tebow like plays for Dak Prescott the QB.  If Dak didn't have a lane, he gave it to Josh.  Josh does look like MJD a lot though not as fast (as some of you have noted).  I believe he is a decisive runner.  I don't often see him hesitate like Trent Richardson did.  He does resemble a bowling ball.  He has a very low center of gravity which enables him to lower his head, hit the defender and somehow maintain his balance, make a spin move and keep running.  He did that a lot actually.  He gets positive yards when he shouldn't sometimes.  He is not afraid of contact at all.  He can get run down from behind though in the open field.  He is not that kind of back.  He looks like he hits full speed after 2 steps.  Dak wasn't a primary passing QB, so Josh wasn't required to pass block in the pocket a lot. 

So, that's not really any new info, but just to let you know that what you saw on highlights wasn't just 1 game.  He did that stuff every game and State relied on him heavily. 

I hope everyone here is right about Robinson.

Saw one profile that said he got many of his yards due to the system MSU played and those yards will likely not be available to him in the NFL.

Hey,  he's a 6th round pick and a projected back-up,  so I'm OK with the pick.   He seems like a great kid with an amazing story.  

Easy to root for!    I just hope to manage some expectations.

Yeah he definitely got some of his yards because of the threat of the running QB but he does have very good balance and runs extremely hard plus he has some shift to him...Not saying he is Duke Johnson in that category because he isn't close but he does have some shift, He is a patient runner...Not a quick accelerator...But once he builds up a head of steam he is hard as nails to bring down

Also we have Luck who is a threat to run to and he is light years ahead of Dak Prescott(Mississippi State QB) as far playing QB

Yeah he definitely got some of his yards because of the threat of the running QB but he does have very good balance and runs extremely hard plus he has some shift to him...Not saying he is Duke Johnson in that category because he isn't close but he does have some shift, He is a patient runner...Not a quick accelerator...But once he builds up a head of steam he is hard as nails to bring down

Also we have Luck who is a threat to run to and he is light years ahead of Dak Prescott(Mississippi State QB) as far playing QB

Here's my favorite comment about Robinson...   and, sorry,  I don't remember where I read this...   but it's too good...

It went something like this....

"When teams are tired from trying to tackle Frank Gore,  they won't be happy with then trying to tackle Josh Robinson."

I confess,  that one put a smile on my face!   :thmup:

Really? I haven't done a lot of scouting on Robinson, but from what I've seen, his style is very different from Addai's.  Addai, from what I recall, liked to dance and juke defenders whereas Robinson prefers to run them over.  I would never have confused Addai for a bulldozing RB

He has great balance and footwork and he is from MISSISSIPPI ST so he is going to be a nice complementary back and running back by committee backfield.

I can see us starting to run the ball much like the patriots and use a dosage of different backs each game depending on the offensive game plan and health.

I fully expect us to carry four RBs this year with it being Gore, Boom, Ballard, and Robinson

Really? I haven't done a lot of scouting on Robinson, but from what I've seen, his style is very different from Addai's.  Addai, from what I recall, liked to dance and juke defenders whereas Robinson prefers to run them over.  I would never have confused Addai for a bulldozing RB

The ONLY similarity I've seen is that jump cut.....wow. Shown in a few highlight reels of his, he has a lateral jump cut that is very similar to Addai's. But that's it, in terms of comparison that I see. 

Something i noticed after watching like 4 games of highlights of him is that he goes from stop to max speed in a blink of an eye.  He does not stutter, or second guess himself.  He see's where he is going and hits it asap.  Then when he breaks a tackle, he is instantaneously at max speed again.  He doesn't juke though, he just runs over you.  And that is something paired with Gore will come in VERY handy in the 4th quarter.

I sincerely see him being the second back this year.  Him being the main speller for Gore.

Something i noticed after watching like 4 games of highlights of him is that he goes from stop to max speed in a blink of an eye.  He does not stutter, or second guess himself.  He see's where he is going and hits it asap.  Then when he breaks a tackle, he is instantaneously at max speed again.  He doesn't juke though, he just runs over you.  And that is something paired with Gore will come in VERY handy in the 4th quarter.

I sincerely see him being the second back this year.  Him being the main speller for Gore.

His vision is what stands out most to me. He sees holes that haven't formed yet, has a natural feel for the line, in respect to where and how a breach forms. His forte may be screens and goal line situations. ....and we all know how Pep loves the screen. A natural fit for our system.

Smaller version of Jerome Bettis, Bettis was obviously bigger but neither have/had a lot of acceleration but they are thick rb's that if they got up a head of steam can run right through ya, Not consistent speed threat to take it for a TD from anywhere on the field BUT they could pop a huge run on ya once in a while...Robinson isn't as agile and elusive as Lynch nor does he have quite the speed....BUT he alone has me excited for the season! Then throw in D'joun Smith! Finally depth at Corner with ability to start in 2016

Lol he's nothing like Addai. Jr head traits of a lot of RBs. Most say MJD which is accurate. But I also see some Lynch in him. Watch the Kentucky game. The one play where he breaks 7 tackles while reversing his field and then still manages to get the first down, is very Lynch like.

He's not fast but you don't need to be when you run like that. He knows it too

I'm not one to give detailed technical info on a player, as some of you are, but I am a Miss. State alum and I did watch every game they played last year.  So, take it for what it's worth. 

Dan Mullen, State's head coach was Tim Tebow's play caller at Florida. State runs a lot of Tebow like plays for Dak Prescott the QB.  If Dak didn't have a lane, he gave it to Josh.  Josh does look like MJD a lot though not as fast (as some of you have noted).  I believe he is a decisive runner.  I don't often see him hesitate like Trent Richardson did.  He does resemble a bowling ball.  He has a very low center of gravity which enables him to lower his head, hit the defender and somehow maintain his balance, make a spin move and keep running.  He did that a lot actually.  He gets positive yards when he shouldn't sometimes.  He is not afraid of contact at all.  He can get run down from behind though in the open field.  He is not that kind of back.  He looks like he hits full speed after 2 steps.  Dak wasn't a primary passing QB, so Josh wasn't required to pass block in the pocket a lot. 

So, that's not really any new info, but just to let you know that what you saw on highlights wasn't just 1 game.  He did that stuff every game and State relied on him heavily. 

Thanks for the insight. Seems like this kid really has it together, and is mature for his age. I have high hopes for him, from what I've seen on some highlights. He reminds me a lot of MJD, and I love that. I'm also not worried about the offense that he ran at Miss. State. I think as long as Pep is calling the right plays, and not making it completely obvious that we are going to run, Robinson will be fine. I did read an article that said he doesn't like to pick up his feet too much when running and that he is subject to be ankle tackled a lot. Thoughts on that?

To many people get overhyped about all these picks. Right now we dont know how any of them will perform on the field. CFB is a different animal from the NFL. People saying they are horrible or The best player ever need to come back to reality and just wait till they play in an actual NFL game.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Smaller version of Jerome Bettis, Bettis was obviously bigger but neither have/had a lot of acceleration but they are thick rb's that if they got up a head of steam can run right through ya, Not consistent speed threat to take it for a TD from anywhere on the field BUT they could pop a huge run on ya once in a while...Robinson isn't as agile and elusive as Lynch nor does he have quite the speed....BUT he alone has me excited for the season! Then throw in D'joun Smith! Finally depth at Corner with ability to start in 2016

MJD and Jerome Bettis I can see a little bit of both.  More MJD to me overall.

I can also see a little bit of Michael Turner as far as the thick thighs go, but he

doesn't have Turners speed.

I'm glad Grigs didn't listen to me and draft a running back where I wanted him to.  This kid is going to be just a perfect compliment to Gore.  I'm noticing that Mississippi State used him somewhat similar to Tevin Coleman with most if not all of his runs coming out of the Shotgun or Pistol.  He would be a very effective runner coming out of whatever formation, but I think he's particularly effective coming out of Shotgun and Pistol formations.  With all of the receivers that we have on this team and how much we like to pass I think we will be doing a lot of runs out of these formations and it will be against mostly defensive backs of which whom he will run over.

From what I saw, he has a very solid juke and he uses it when necessary, but he certainly likes, and is great at, getting low and running through tacklers.

I hate to say it but Robinson will probably end up being Gores' primary backup ahead of Boom Herron at some point.

What's to hate? That would mean Grigson found an upgrade. That's the plan. And Boom would still have a place on the team and in the offense, I'm sure.

What's to hate? That would mean Grigson found an upgrade. That's the plan. And Boom would still have a place on the team and in the offense, I'm sure.

I hate to dissapoint all the Boom Herron fans!  Nothing bad for the team at all.