Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Grigson not see defense as a need?

RockThatBlue

Grigson made it clear that drafting for need is a terrible evaluator of talent, Talent trumps need

ok sure but surely that has to be a sway to a bit of both.

are you saying to me if Bryce Petty is the highest player on grigs board in round 2 we take him? 

I may be wrong here, but I believe during his interview he basically said in a off way that he didn't see really any glaring holes on our roster. He basically said certain positions could be strengthened, but he was going with BPA with the first 4 rounds. After that is the best potential starter even if they have character concerns.

are you saying to me if Bryce Petty is the highest player on grigs board in round 2 we take him? 

I don't consider Petty worth higher then a 4th round pick

I may be wrong here, but I believe during his interview he basically said in a off way that he didn't see really any glaring holes on our roster. He basically said certain positions could be strengthened, but he was going with BPA with the first 4 rounds. After that is the best potential starter even if they have character concerns.

Do you have the exact quote from that?  I'd love to see what he really said.  Because if he really said there aren't any holes on our roster....

That is completely different than what we just did. Dorsett has every opportunity to play this season. Petty would have no chance as we have absolutely no need for a extra QB that high. At first look WR seems very stacked, but if you really look at it T.Y and AJ are really the only two proven players. Moncrief has shown potential, but still looked very raw last season, and Carter hasn't played a down of NFL regular season football. We all knew that Whalen just wasn't going to cut it. I think Dorsett was the BPA on our front office's board and it also serves as a insurance pick and gives us a legitimate returner as well so that is why we picked him.

apparently that's been getting us to the playoffs and AFC championship games so... I guess so.

Yeah, that had nothing to do with grigson getting the jobs when a certain someone was the obvious number one pick. Stop using these lazy arguments.

Do you have the exact quote from that?  I'd love to see what he really said.  Because if he really said there aren't any holes on our roster....

No I don't have an exact quote yet, but I will re-watch. That is just what I came away with after watching the interview the first time. I recommend watching it again as it might shed more light on what his real view of our roster really is.

Grigson made it clear that drafting for need is a terrible evaluator of talent, Talent trumps need

People really just need to get this through their thick skulls. That's how he was able to have the tremendous foresight to draft Werner over Xavier Rhodes, like so many of us foolish fans wanted

#TalentTrumpsNeed

#InsertGrigsonismHere

Game.  One.  And we got stomped in it.

Grigson was looking for a "blue trait"....what is a blue trait? 

You color code traits on the draft cards of all players on your board.

Blue is for "rare" or special traits.     Red,  obviously would be for very bad traits.

You color code traits on the draft cards of all players on your board.

Blue is for "rare" or special traits.     Red,  obviously would be for very bad traits.

Is that what he means, or is he trying to say he wants someone who fits the Colts' culture (ie. a horseshoe guy, someone who bleeds blue, etc.)?  I find it hard to believe they would colour code all the traits instead of just giving them rankings.

Is that what he means, or is he trying to say he wants someone who fits the Colts' culture (ie. a horseshoe guy, someone who bleeds blue, etc.)?  I find it hard to believe they would colour code all the traits instead of just giving them rankings.

I suppose you could be right...   but I thought Grigson made a reference to the coding system in his pre-draft presser...

That's my recollection, at least.....

I suppose you could be right...   but I thought Grigson made a reference to the coding system in his pre-draft presser...

That's my recollection, at least.....

I'm not sure.  I've heard the terms blue chip and red chip used in reference to players, but never in reference to specific traits.  I would think it would make more sense to give a guy an actual number rank for his speed, hands, agility, etc. instead of colours.  With number ranks, you can compare players easier.  But I'm not sure

It's going to be so amazing when Dorsett blows the walls off teams with some plays during the year and everyone praises Grigson. So much * talking going on right now it's ridiculous.

What happens when Malcolm Brown gets a sack and a few TFLs against the Colts next year?  Or when Blount runs for another 200 yards on us?

What happens when Malcolm Brown gets a sack and a few TFLs against the Colts next year?  Or when Blount runs for another 200 yards on us?

So the Colts should build their entire draft mindset around the Patriots? I'd understand the extreme hatred for not selecting a run stopper if the Colts were ran on week after week. But it was 1 team. And there's 8 more picks. Everyone freaking out needs to cool their jets.

I wanted Malcom Brown really bad but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit.

I'm not sure.  I've heard the terms blue chip and red chip used in reference to players, but never in reference to specific traits.  I would think it would make more sense to give a guy an actual number rank for his speed, hands, agility, etc. instead of colours.  With number ranks, you can compare players easier.  But I'm not sure

I think they get one number as an overall grade.

But I think we use a color code for certain traits.   Especially for the very positive, and the very negative.

You want to be reminded when you're under pressure and the bullets are flying in the war room and things are crazy.

I don't think it's uncommon.

Grigson will talk about how he finally has learned his lesson that you need to build the trenches, and promptly bring in a guy who was cut from the CFL. He'll talk about leaving no stone unturned and finding diamond in the rough prospects. Every fan on here will worship the ground he walks upon because this one time he brought in a slightly above average linebacker from the CFL.

Grigson- "With the BPA mentality I think it is the healthiest mentality to have. Um, especially when I feel for the most part the roster looks pretty balanced. We have some areas of concern, but there is always those no matter what stage of the game you are in." To look at the actual interview it is the very first question he answers in the pre-draft interview.

It this really that complicated to you, or are you being facetious?

It's going to be so amazing when Dorsett blows the walls off teams with some plays during the year and everyone praises Grigson. So much * talking going on right now it's ridiculous.

I think Dorsett will be a very good player for the Colts. I just dont wanna see Indy continue to have the same problems over and over every year on defense when they play quality teams.

Grigson will talk about how he finally has learned his lesson that you need to build the trenches, and promptly bring in a guy who was cut from the CFL. He'll talk about leaving no stone unturned and finding diamond in the rough prospects. Every fan on here will worship the ground he walks upon because this one time he brought in a slightly above average linebacker from the CFL.

Wow.....  that's some serious Grigson hate....

If I didn't know better,  I'd almost guess you were Dustin posting under another person's handle....  but you just share the same disdain.....

Oh well.....

I think Dorsett will be a very good player for the Colts. I just dont wanna see Indy continue to have the same problems over and over every year on defense when they play quality teams.

Extremely well put.  I will hope for the best with him and be happy if he does well but I don't think he was worth a first round, especially since we have other pressing needs.  

I am forever amazed at the # of people who don't get it.

1) No it does not mean they take Petty.

2) Teams have a grading system and allow for a small sample of players whose grades make them draftable at a given spot.

3) Teams rate every draftable player but also have a smaller list of players they like that may be about 100-125 players.  Players like Petty who is very clearly not a need for them would not even be on it

Is that why we didn't take a defender at 29?

Help me out I'm confused.

Dont be surprised if we trade up now and take a Collins or Eddie Goldman type player. Dorsett is a homerun threat and in a league where passing is king you cant have enough of those.

Personally I like the kid from UCLA Owamagbe Odighizuwa. Versatile DE/OLB

Carl Davis DE Iowa

Eric Kendricks LB UCLA

Michael Bennett DT OSU

I'd put $20 Grigson moves up in the 2nd