Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will have a private meeting with Todd Gurley

Yes lets draft a RB with a torn ACL in the first round.  Good plan.  

I'm not going to be happy if we draft him at 29.  But if he starts putting together several 1000 yard seasons I will give him his credit.

But if you are an RB drafted in the 1st round and didn't gain 1000 yards in at least half of your seasons then you are a bust.  

I don't think he'll be available at 29, but who knows what Grigs is scheming.

Yeah, there's no way INDY has a shot at landing him so it's a moot point. I just am surprised that some Colts fans think we need yet another RB on our roster. Are they trying to find the next Marshall Faulk? 

Get a stout offensive line & even a mediocre back looks good. I don't object to talking to Mr. Gurley & maybe this move is just a draft deception move since GMs don't wanna reveal which players they are really going after on April 30th. 

I think SW has it right,  there's just no way he falls to 29.

The buzz on his knee is favorable.    He reportedly is doing well.

I'd somehow manage to survive if he did fall and we did take him.     Just way, way too good to pass up at 29.

Still,   It's interesting that we've asked him for a private meeting....  

I think the reaction of the board to the Colts drafting him would get this.....   

:Nuke:          :panic:        :wall:              :omg:                 :trout:                -omg-          :hissy:           :explode:       :hide: 

I'd grab my pitchfork and join the riot if we drafted a RB in the first. I know he is very good but IMO RBs just aren't first rounders no more not with the value you can get in the mid rounds. I said it before Grigs has already whiffed in Werner and Richardson taking a RB with a torn ACL in the first with how our D is may cost him his job. We have to get the D on par with our Offense. Our offense is loaded and our D is made of average to ok players. Need more talent on D.

I'd grab my pitchfork and join the riot if we drafted a RB in the first. I know he is very good but IMO RBs just aren't first rounders no more not with the value you can get in the mid rounds. I said it before Grigs has already whiffed in Werner and Richardson taking a RB with a torn ACL in the first with how our D is may cost him his job. We have to get the D on par with our Offense. Our offense is loaded and our D is made of average to ok players. Need more talent on D.

I can see what you're saying, but you'll probably take that pitchfork and stick yourself after Gurley busts out a couple touchdowns in his first game.  I feel you though!

The bottom line is I don't care if Gurley is the 2nd coming of Jim Brown, we are a pass based team with Andrew Luck with a very bad defense and we don't need to waste a 1st round pick on an rb in the deepest rb class in years. Unless Grigson is doing this as a measure of trading down if he falls to us, this is a terrible move. It didn't work with Richardson, and even if it did somewhat, it's completely unnecessary. This would completely ruin us if we took Gurley.

I can see what you're saying, but you'll probably take that pitchfork and stick yourself after Gurley busts out a couple touchdowns in his first game. I feel you though!

I'd like the performance and I'm sure he's gonna be very good. I just want Vontae to have some more help on D our offense is already very good.

The bottom line is I don't care if Gurley is the 2nd coming of Jim Brown, we are a pass based team with Andrew Luck with a very bad defense and we don't need to waste a 1st round pick on an rb in the deepest rb class in years. Unless Grigson is doing this as a measure of trading down if he falls to us, this is a terrible move. It didn't work with Richardson, and even if it did somewhat, it's completely unnecessary. This would completely ruin us if we took Gurley.

So essentially what you're saying is we have no ability to adapt?

Are they trying to find the next Marshall Faulk? 

gurley may be that good though.  i wouldnt be against bringing him in at all, despite bigger needs on the team he could be one of the best players in this draft if he stays healthy.

I understand the need for a RB but I think we can wait a couple of rounds for a RB their are plenty to choose from later in the draft. IMO need a DT or a DE to bolster the D-line. Or it is possible we can scratch the possibility of not able to stop the run this season

Agreed Jared Cisneros!

I don't care how much offense we have. If the Colts do not "STOP THE RUN!", forget about the VL Trophy until they do!

Agreed Jared Cisneros!

I don't care how much offense we have. If the Colts do not "STOP THE RUN!", forget about the VL Trophy until they do!

You know, I took another look at my post here ... What I meant to say for everyone's clarification ...

I do not care how much "excessive good-to-great offense" we enjoy. Priority 1 : Stop the Run!

But doesn't a good ground game assist the run defense? Gurley would give us a great ground game paired with Gore.

Yes we could have that with another back maybe, but I'm cool if Grigs picked up Gurley some how.

It sure does, krunk! No doubt about it. I really feel though that the Colts have _finally_ decided to put more teeth into stopping the run from Jim Irsay's comments about the AFCCG this year. I also get the impression that it is just not about the incorporation of that needed strategy against higher caliber teams. It's the overall seasonal game picture as well. It is my hope that the defensive line benefit from this year's draft. Otherwise, it's going to be a another long haul down "No Title Avenue" once again.

No. No they don't. He plays one the least valuable positions and is coming off a major knee injury.

but he could be the next AP!! Lol I agree tho. getting him we might as well just write nothing on our slip then give it to the commish and take no one cause a RB isn't gonna help this team much more the better teams will still bend us over for 40 points if the D still sucks.

That logic doesn't make any sense.  One drafted running back isn't going to keep you from adding to the defense. What happens if you draft whoever else in the 1st round and they suck?  Does that lessen the effect?

I can see the arguments that say get a back in another round, but when you have an exceptional talent I don't see much wrong with stepping outside of the box. 

There's no guarantee that any of these 1st round draft picks will pan out in year one or at all.  Werner is still trying to get his neck out the woods and he's not a running back.  Honestly I'd argue that running back is the fastest position that a prospect could make an immediate contribution to in year 1.  Heck even a sorry back like T Rich almost popped a 1000 yards in year 1.

I meant to say "completely ruin our draft" not completely ruin us. I was typing too fast. My apologies.

Okay, yeah, that's different. I think it's still a bit overboard, but not as bad. I don't want to take a RB in the first, especially not a guy who is recovering from a serious leg injury. It would definitely undermine our ability to get better in 2015. 

So essentially what you're saying is we have no ability to adapt?

What I'm saying is, Luck will throw for 5,000 yards this year. We don't need to try to get the best qb and the best rb in the nfl as our goal. We need defense. I'd rather get someone like Marcus Peters than Todd Gurley. At least he is probably an elite player should we be able to control the character concerns. We have our offense, it should be BPA at this point, but BPA ON DEFENSE. Even the top RB isn't good enough to take in round 1, especially when Grigson should of learned from his mistakes.

As far as adapting, we don't need a RB in round 1, that's the point. You can almost as easily get as good of one in the mid-rounds.

That logic doesn't make any sense. One drafted running back isn't going to keep you from adding to the defense. What happens if you draft whoever else in the 1st round and they suck? Does that lessen the effect?

I can see the arguments that say get a back in another round, but when you have an exceptional talent I don't see much wrong with stepping outside of the box.

There's no guarantee that any of these 1st round draft picks will pan out in year one or at all. Werner is still trying to get his neck out the woods and he's not a running back. Honestly I'd argue that running back is the fastest position that a prospect could make an immediate contribution to in year 1. Heck even a sorry back like T Rich almost popped a 1000 yards in year 1.

the RB still won't help us much either. We still had one of the top offenses in the league last year with the backs we had. Like I've said before a great RB is not a necessity anymore it has now become just a luxury that is not needed. Just a want by fans.

What I'm saying is, Luck will throw for 5,000 yards this year. We don't need to try to get the best qb and the best rb in the nfl as our goal. We need defense. I'd rather get someone like Marcus Peters than Todd Gurley. At least he is probably an elite player should we be able to control the character concerns. We have our offense, it should be BPA at this point, but BPA ON DEFENSE. Even the top RB isn't good enough to take in round 1, especially when Grigson should of learned from his mistakes.

As far as adapting, we don't need a RB in round 1, that's the point. You can almost as easily get as good of one in the mid-rounds.

Honestly no team should draft a RB in round 1 anymore IMO its not a key part of the NFL like it once was you can have VERY good offense with mid round backs hell even UDFAs

the RB still won't help us much either. We still had one of the top offenses in the league last year with the backs we had. Like I've said before a great RB is not a necessity anymore it has now become just a luxury that is not needed. Just a want by fans.

So the running back won't help us with what we've failed with each december and january? Running the football.  I don't buy that.

So the running back won't help us with what we've failed with each december? Running the football

I don't buy that.

You act like people are saying "don't draft an rb". What the majority are saying or thinking is, is that there is very little difference between a 1st round rb and a mid-round rb. Especially in a deep rb class such as this. I think you know very little about this year's draft class and are going on common sense. Which is wrong in this situation.

So the running back won't help us with what we've failed with each december and january? Running the football. I don't buy that.

well if we still can't stop NEs offense then it don't matter. Our Oline still isn't that good it's still developing we hardly have a C and our RT was hurt had a rookie at LG

You act like people are saying "don't draft an rb". What the majority are saying or thinking is, is that there is very little difference between a 1st round rb and a mid-round rb. Especially in a deep rb class such as this. I think you know very little about this year's draft class and are going on common sense. Which is wrong in this situation.

exactly my point I didnt say don't get one at all just don't take one in round 1 when there will be very good value later.

Yes lets draft a RB with a torn ACL in the first round.  Good plan.  

I'm not going to be happy if we draft him at 29.  But if he starts putting together several 1000 yard seasons I will give him his credit.

But if you are an RB drafted in the 1st round and didn't gain 1000 yards in at least half of your seasons then you are a bust.  

Agree 100%

I think SW has it right,  there's just no way he falls to 29.

The buzz on his knee is favorable.    He reportedly is doing well.

I'd somehow manage to survive if he did fall and we did take him.     Just way, way too good to pass up at 29.

Still,   It's interesting that we've asked him for a private meeting....  

I think the reaction of the board to the Colts drafting him would get this.....   

:Nuke:          :panic:        :wall:              :omg:                 :trout:                -omg-          :hissy:           :explode:       :hide:

:lol: Yep.....he'll probably be gone, ACL and all. At worst, I think he goes to the Cardinals at #24.

But I must admit....if we did happen to draft him it would be great for laughs reading the reactions of Forum brethren who'd rather stick their :censored:  in a beehive, followed by a napalm enema.....than to have Grigson take a RB in the 1st round.