Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential RB depth chart (not as straightforward as you'd think)

Chucklez

I don't think our RB depth chart is going to be a tough one to figure out this year. Yes Gore will be the #1, that is the easy part, from there it's anyone's gig I think for the backup and #3 role.

It could easily go in any of the following orders depending on a number of factors.

Gore > Ballard > Boom > Mid to late round draft pick

Gore > Mid to late round draft pick > Ballard > Boom

Gore > Boom > Ballard > Mid to late round draft pick

You get the idea....

I think this year's camp is going to be very interesting in deciding who gets that backup role. Ballard showed real promise before going out on two season ending non contact injuries, who knows if he gets even close to where he was health wise. Boom showed potential for someone we claimed off waivers and of course this is a deep RB draft class this year.

What order do you think it will end up in? It's anyone's guess at this point really, but it's always fun to speculate.

I don't think our RB depth chart is going to be a tough one to figure out this year. Yes Gore will be the #1, that is the easy part, from there it's anyone's gig I think for the backup and #3 role.

It could easily go in any of the following orders depending on a number of factors.

Gore > Ballard > Boom > Mid to late round draft pick

Gore > Mid to late round draft pick > Ballard > Boom

Gore > Boom > Ballard > Mid to late round draft pick

You get the idea....

I think this year's camp is going to be very interesting in deciding who gets that backup role. Ballard showed real promise before going out on two season ending non contact injuries, who knows if he gets even close to where he was health wise. Boom showed potential for someone we claimed off waivers and of course this is a deep RB draft class this year.

What order do you think it will end up in? It's anyone's guess at this point really, but it's always fun to speculate.

I'm hoping for

Gore>Bradshaw>Draft Pick >Boom

As injury prone as Bradshaw is, I think running behind Gore (as opposed to Richardson) will help his durability a bit, since Gore may actually be able to wear out a defense. 

Besides, how cool would it be to have 2 RB sets with Gore and Bradshaw 

I'm hoping for

Gore>Bradshaw>Draft Pick >Boom

As injury prone as Bradshaw is, I think running behind Gore (as opposed to Richardson) will help his durability a bit, since Gore may actually be able to wear out a defense. 

Besides, how cool would it be to have 2 RB sets with Gore and Bradshaw 

I do like that idea and I'd be open to bringing Bradshaw back, but I just don't see the Colts doing it.

Interesting how you completely dismiss the idea of Ballard at all though. Obviously he has the durability issues too and we havent seen him play for two seasons, but thats not to say he doesnt come back strong. It may not be likely, but I'd like to see him in the #2 or #3 role if he can prove he's healthy. 

What gives me hope for Ballard is he never had any injury history before these two. They might just be freak occurrences and he might play out the rest of his career and never get another injury like it.

I'd like to think that we would draft a RB in round 3 or 4 to act as Gore's running mate and student. Someone like Ameer Abdullah I would be extremely happy with mainly because he reminds me a lot of Gore. Confident north south runner who hits the hole faster than anyone in this draft class imo.

Boom I like and is good depth but I don't think he has the talent to be relied on as a consistent #2 threat. That and his fumble issues puts him at a comfortable #3 in my eyes. 

Ballard, oh boy, I love him as a player. But I cant rely on a player coming off of two serious season ending injuries, who hasn't played a game day snap in almost 2 seasons. I'd love to think that we could but we just cant. Love the guy, but I see him being cut in/after camp.

Defense in the first 2/3 rounds then a RB would be a good draft in my eyes.

My depth chart would be:

Gore  -  Mid round draft pick  -  Boom  -  Ballard if he isn't cut. I he is cut then Tipton.

I also think we should sign Bradshaw to a small contract again. With Gore taking most of the snaps, Bradshaw might be able to stay healthier longer. Cuz when he's healthy, he's a beast. 

Plus nobody knows if Ballard can stay healthy either. I hope he does, cuz I'm a big fan of his. But if he gets hurt again, he's done. 

bradshaw is UFA. If he was here to stay he would've been resigned already

That is not true at all.

Players like Bradshaw, at this stage of their career where, are generally brought into a team's plans once they get through the draft.  THey will take stock of holes on their roster and see where he is physically before they decide to bring him back, if they do at all.

To those wanting Bradshaw back - I would say the odds of that happening are slim to none.  He was injury prone before he got to the Colts and finished two straight years on IR with Indy.  They cannot count on the guy as much as they may like his talent and toughness.

As to the OP - Tipton is an interesting guy to think about as well.  I liked what he did in his limited snaps.  I would say it is likely that he is at least a practice squad possibility as I think he is still eligible.

To those wanting Bradshaw back - I would say the odds of that happening are slim to none.  He was injury prone before he got to the Colts and finished two straight years on IR with Indy.  They cannot count on the guy as much as they may like his talent and toughness.

As to the OP - Tipton is an interesting guy to think about as well.  I liked what he did in his limited snaps.  I would say it is likely that he is at least a practice squad possibility as I think he is still eligible.

I didn't think Tipton showed much, but he was always in at garbage time so it's hard to tell. He looked kind of slow to me.

Personally, at the right price I'd love to have Bradshaw back. When was the last time we finished a season with the same backs that started it? He's better than any FA or even a draft pick we'd get, when he plays. Ideally, he'd be a third down back with limited carries, and it would help him last a season.

But, you guys are most likely right, we won't sign him again.

I'd like to think we are drafting a RB. However, I can also see us rolling with Frank Gore, Bradshaw, Boom, Ballard and drafting a RB next year. I really do miss Vick Ballard, he was a pleasant surprise his rookie year for us. I'll never forget the corkscrew touchdown against Tennessee to win the game.

I didn't think Tipton showed much, but he was always in at garbage time so it's hard to tell. He looked kind of slow to me.

Personally, at the right price I'd love to have Bradshaw back. When was the last time we finished a season with the same backs that started it? He's better than any FA or even a draft pick we'd get, when he plays. Ideally, he'd be a third down back with limited carries, and it would help him last a season.

But, you guys are most likely right, we won't sign him again.

Well, if the Colts want Bradshaw back it would most definitely be at the right price (theirs) because he has no leverage. You have the "when he plays" caveat in your post and I am reminded of the old Dungy line - "the best ability is availability."

Tipton I thought played well in his limited action in both playoff games so it was not quite garbage time.  By no means an answer but a possibility.  Plus a guy they can likely stash on the PS who has experience and system familiarity.

Yeah,that's what I mean. I want us focusing all on the defensive side of the ball, and some on the O-line. I wasn't as clear as I could have been there.

This. Maybe an Olinemen, but I hope picks 1-3 at least are all defense

Camp is always open to the public and they have always held it at Anderson without any problems. 

Yes I realize that, I was just saying that there will be tons of people at this years camp IMO. 

I really hope we don't draft a RB. I want us going all D and O-line.

And I really, really, really, hope we do. This RB class is loaded with talent. If there was a year to draft a RB this is it. I honestly believe it will produce several big time RB stars. So, I hope the Colts do their homework and take a shot on who they feel would be best. Plus you get the benefit of them coming in and learning from a big time vet.

And I really, really, really, hope we do. This RB class is loaded with talent. If there was a year to draft a RB this is it. I honestly believe it will produce several big time RB stars. So, I hope the Colts do their homework and take a shot on who they feel would be best. Plus you get the benefit of them coming in and learning from a big time vet.

Well if that's the case, I hope we don't spend an early round pick on one. If we are going to make a SB run, we have to build up the trenches.