Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper's newst mock draft has us taking....

29) - T.J. Clemmings - Indianapolis Colts (11-5)

COLLEGE: Pittsburgh

Class: Sr

HT: 6-4

WT: 309

*: OT

Analysis: It's tempting to look at the defensive line here because the need is pretty obvious, but at this point Clemmings becomes extremely attractive because the potential is so significant. In terms of raw tools you're looking at maybe the best physical package in the draft for a future NFL left tackle. But Clemmings is a converted basketball player, a major physical talent who can be exposed by pass-rushers who have a few tricks. The Colts are OK on the left side but could definitely use another tackle in the portfolio and just talent, period, on an offensive line that took a step forward in 2014 but isn't close to a top unit.

I heard good things about him from the Senior Bowl and the Combine. Kiper doesn't know jack tho. Irritating putz :thmup:

He may be irritating to you,  but the man knows his stuff.   He's been doing this well for 30 years.

You don't last this long without knowing your stuff.

Hate it ... There's tackles/guards in FA dt/de/ilb

None of them come with a rookie contract. There is one thing we should know. That you never really have enough talent on the o-line. After starting about 10 or 12 different line ups last season it's not that hard to understand.

He or Cam Erving in the 1st with Tre Jackson in the second and our OL will be built for years. Cam was the ACC OT of the year 2 years in a row and played center the last few week, tearing it up. Tre Jackson is a freaking road grader, big powerful and dominate. Both may be gone by the time we pick in the first and second, if not...TAKE!!

He may be irritating to you,  but the man knows his stuff.   He's been doing this well for 30 years.

You don't last this long without knowing your stuff.

Kiper is a self proclaimed expert. Several guys on this board could do as well as he does if given the time. Kiper is nothing more than a personality and that's what gets him on TV. Bill Tobin was spot on, he's a wanna be. JMO

Kiper is a self proclaimed expert. Several guys on this board could do as well as he does if given the time. Kiper is nothing more than a personality and that's what gets him on TV. Bill Tobin was spot on, he's a wanna be. JMO

Ah I would not call Kiper a wanna be, He is pretty good with his stuff...He is not my favorite but he knows what he is talking about often...Not always, Like any prediction your going to miss on players and your going to hit...Do it long enough and those hits and misses even out over time, Kiper has whiffed bad a number of times but so have GM's.

Predicting how good these players will be in the NFL is literally not possible(To many variables, Injury, work ethic and so on) unless one can look into the future. What sets those analysts and draft gurus apart is not x number of guys they hit or whiff on...(Given time Im sure I can hold my own in regards to numbers and percentage with them to be honest and others on here could do the same who study film a lot and do some reading)......But they know what to look for at positions....Most fans don't...They just see the player they are looking at was either A)a playmaker who put up good numbers in college or B)A player who did not put up good numbers and was not a playmaker..............Many fans cant tell you why in either case...Everyone who puts themselves out there scouting or trying to scout a player and what he is capable of in the pros will miss sometimes

Ah I would not call Kiper a wanna be, He is pretty good with his stuff...He is not my favorite but he knows what he is talking about often...Not always, Like any prediction your going to miss on players and your going to hit...Do it long enough and those hits and misses even out over time, Kiper has whiffed bad a number of times but so have GM's.

Predicting how good these players will be in the NFL is literally not possible(To many variables, Injury, work ethic and so on) unless one can look into the future. What sets those analysts and draft gurus apart is not x number of guys they hit or whiff on...(Given time Im sure I can hold my own in regards to numbers and percentage with them to be honest and others on here could do the same who study film a lot and do some reading)......But they know what to look for at positions....Most fans don't...They just see the player they are looking at was either A)a playmaker who put up good numbers in college or B)A player who did not put up good numbers and was not a playmaker..............Many fans cant tell you why in either case...Everyone who puts themselves out there scouting or trying to scout a player and what he is capable of in the pros will miss sometimes

"wanna be" in the sense that he wanted to be in an NFL front office but didn't have the pedigree

I want my first round OTs to be successful immediately. You can keep the ex-basketball athlete who gets burned by pass rushers. I prefer a guy like that in the 3rd or 4th round.

I don't believe that OT exists in this draft

I'm not sure that any player who will be there at 29 will actually be worth 29, comparing to a typical draft.

That's kinda what I have been thinking to...The whole draft save for the first 10 maybe 15 players is kinda blah to me, Lots of depth, Not sure many future stars or starters but there will be a few

You know who else calls him an expert?    Everyone else.

ESPN has been using him for 30 years.     They don't do that with wanna be people.

Now, everyone has a Mel Kiper.      And no one asks the question now.    No one takes shots at him other than his hair.

But his talent is not questioned anymore.    He's as good as anyone else and better than most.

You know who else calls him an expert?    Everyone else.

ESPN has been using him for 30 years.     They don't do that with wanna be people.

Now, everyone has a Mel Kiper.      And no one asks the question now.    No one takes shots at him other than his hair.

But his talent is not questioned anymore.    He's as good as anyone else and better than most.

"wanna be" in the sense that he wanted to be an NFL front office man but didn't have the pedigree.

Some have the previous NFL front office experience.

"wanna be" in the sense that he wanted to be an NFL front office man but didn't have the pedigree.

And his work is just as good as theirs.      And that's the point.     

He does this for a living and doesn't embarrass himself   (beyond the hair)

He knows what he's doing.     He's right far more than he's wrong.

He's accountable and he owns his mistakes.

I know there are a number of people here who don't care for him.   I think they're missing the Big Picture.

You don't stay around for as long as Kiper has doing as well as Kiper has without knowing what you're doing.

They do they just won't be on the board when the Colts draft.

I found a couple I like, Clemmings, Erving (Though could play Center), Flowers, Mcann I all like but don't expect any to be a great success from the start. La'el Collins Im warming up to at RT or LG but I'd bring him along slowly, His balance scares the hell out of me, Cant block on your belly or ***....I'd draft him in a trade down only if he is still on the board

I want my first round OTs to be successful immediately. You can keep the ex-basketball athlete who gets exposed by pass rushers....I prefer a guy with that description in the 3rd or 4th round.

That means you never want a first round OT. Every rookie tackle will get worked by NFL pass rushers. Almost without exception.

Unless your objection is that he once played a different sport. 

Clemmings is a Day 1 starter, IMO. Or would be on our team, at RT. 

I found a couple I like, Clemmings, Erving (Though could play Center), Flowers, Mcann I all like but don't expect any to be a great success from the start. La'el Collins Im warming up to at RT or LG but I'd bring him along slowly, His balance scares the hell out of me, Cant block on your belly or ***....I'd draft him in a trade down only if he is still on the board

I'd include Humphries. He has terrible hand placement (actually, just inconsistent, but it's a major failing), and isn't aggressive enough at the corner, but the physical tools are obvious.

That means you never want a first round OT. Every rookie tackle will get worked by NFL pass rushers. Almost without exception.

Unless your objection is that he once played a different sport. 

Clemmings is a Day 1 starter, IMO. Or would be on our team, at RT.

Just based upon the description Kiper gives, he sounds like he is projected in round 1 due to his overall athleticism, not his proficiency at football thus far. I basically mean that I want my round 1 OTs to be proficient football players. Sure, even AC struggled some as a rookie.

Besides, I think it was Cummings who struggled quite a bit at the Senior Bowl. And he's only 6'4"...more of a G height. I think it all adds up to being over drafted at 29.

Who cares if they have front office experience. Most of those guys did a horrible job anyway.

Just based upon the description Kiper gives, he sounds like he is projected in round 1 due to his overall athleticism, not his proficiency at football thus far. I basically mean that I want my round 1 OTs to be proficient football players. Sure, even AC struggled some as a rookie.

Besides, I think it was Cummings who struggled quite a bit at the Senior Bowl. And he's only 6'4"...more of a G height. I think it all adds up to being over drafted at 29.

Cummings is closer to 6'5" then he is 6'4" ....   even NFL.com lists him at 6'5"

But more important is the arm length....   35+ inches....     he's got the measurables and the potential to get better.   He's only played OT for two years.      He was a DL before that.

Here's his profile.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/t.j.-clemmings?id=2552365

One last thought.....    this is an average draft at best.....    odds of getting a player with a 1st round grade at 29 are not good.

So,  you want to get a guy with as much upside and possible high ceiling as possible.    That's Cummings.

If we can get him at 29,  I'd consider ourselves very fortunate....