Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who to cut next?

bap1331

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only realistic cuts will be Donald Thomas and Trent Richardson. I really hope Grigson has learned and won't waste cap space by signing average players like he has done.

We thought he learned with satele. But lets be glad he doesnt get emotionally attached with his players like jerry jones.

Grigson rightly gets stick for some average fa signings to high contracts but doesn't get the credit for structuring them to make it easy to cut them with little pain.

They aren't even "high" contracts to begin with. A lot of noise about those signings, when they were critical for this team in 2013-14. The worst that can be said about any of those deals is that they were slightly above market value.

In a world where Pierre Garcon is making $8.5m/year, I'm not worried about RJF getting $5.5m. Not to mention the team friendly structure, as you said.

What about D'Qwell?

Some reports say he can be cut and save us 5 million.

Other reports say no, his salary is guaranteed for 2015

To me, that's the question. If that salary isn't guaranteed, I'm fine with him going. But Grigson talked about him like the staff views him as a major contributor, so I doubt he goes anywhere. Truth be told, he's not that bad, but his weakness in coverage kind of cancels out his activity against the run.

I don't know why some here want Walden cut?

His year 2 was much, much better than his year 1.

He played very well for us, and when he wasn't in I don't think our defense was as good.

He doesn't even make that much money.

Because were ready to make a trip to the super bowl and he cant even get to the quarterback...

Thomas,T-Rich,and GC with maybe walden. Keep Jackson for one more year if he does even worst than this past season then bye bye.

I'm curious.....

How are we supposed to know in March (when we have to make our decisions to save money for FA) what Cherilus' healthy status is going to be in September, October,  November  and December?

Strikes me as darn near impossible....

Just askin...

I'm curious.....

How are we supposed to know in March (when we have to make our decisions to save money for FA) what Cherilus' healthy status is going to be in September, October,  November  and December?

Just askin...

It is impossible. That's part of why I think he should be released. If he gets hurt during any Colts related activities once the league year starts, his pay for 2015 is basically guaranteed (unless it's a minor, short term injury). The safe move is to release him before that can happen, that way, you're not stuck paying him for no production.

To me, the only way you keep him is if you're absolutely convinced that he'll be healthy and play at a high level. And it's almost impossible to convince me of that (from my admittedly long range and un-informed vantage point).

They aren't even "high" contracts to begin with. A lot of noise about those signings, when they were critical for this team in 2013-14. The worst that can be said about any of those deals is that they were slightly above market value.

In a world where Pierre Garcon is making $8.5m/year, I'm not worried about RJF getting $5.5m. Not to mention the team friendly structure, as you said.

To me, that's the question. If that salary isn't guaranteed, I'm fine with him going. But Grigson talked about him like the staff views him as a major contributor, so I doubt he goes anywhere. Truth be told, he's not that bad, but his weakness in coverage kind of cancels out his activity against the run.

No way they even think about cutting him as the whole base is guaranteed . The only way that would make sense is if they feel a league minimum player would outplay him. It was a 2 year deal (in essence ) that he signed and he'll play it out.

* talking about jackson.. didn't mean to include the RJF post.

No way they even think about cutting him as the whole base is guaranteed . The only way that would make sense is if they feel a league minimum player would outplay him. It was a 2 year deal (in essence ) that he signed and he'll play it out.

The bolded is the only consideration. The other poster mentioned that there are conflicting reports about that 2015 salary guarantee, which is true. So I add the qualifier -- IF -- to your statement. IF that base is guaranteed, then he's not going anywhere unless he's totally outplayed (or unless he has a suspension clause in his contract and his guarantee gets voided as a result of his recent arrest, which is unlikely altogether). 

I believe he'll be here through 2015, but that IF exists.

The bolded is the only consideration. The other poster mentioned that there are conflicting reports about that 2015 salary guarantee, which is true. So I add the qualifier -- IF -- to your statement. IF that base is guaranteed, then he's not going anywhere unless he's totally outplayed (or unless he has a suspension clause in his contract and his guarantee gets voided as a result of his recent arrest, which is unlikely altogether). 

I believe he'll be here through 2015, but that IF exists.

I never saw that there was talk of voiding his 2015 guarantee. But I can believe it ( I also forgot about the incident) and if that's the case , I would say there's a very good chance he's gone too. My bad on that one. 

I never saw that there was talk of voiding his 2015 guarantee. But I can believe it ( I also forgot about the incident) and if that's the case , I would say there's a very good chance he's gone too. My bad on that one. 

There hasn't been any talk about voiding his guarantee. I don't mean to say that as if it's something that's been reported. I was just bringing up a (probably) remote possibility.

I'm curious.....

Just askin...

That's easy to answer NCF. Some have their minds made that Grigson don't know what he is doing and they think they know better.

Thomas is 90% gone, he cant stay healthy

Walden should stick, he does show flashes of great play so I don't see him being cut

TRich seems obvious but there will be an appeal by the NFLPA if the Colts try to cut him for missing team activities 

GC, if healthy needs to stay, he played very well when healthy

Only realistic cuts will be Donald Thomas and Trent Richardson. I really hope Grigson has learned and won't waste cap space by signing average players like he has done.

It seems to be a Grigson habit that is hard to break...backing off the top FAs and overpaying for mediocre FAs who under-perform their contracts.  Grigs just has to reel in 2 or 3 TOP FAs and stop...and remember that ALL FAs get overpaid.

And remember, filling in roster holes with medium quality FAs is a FAILED STRATEGY...you overpay for mediocrity and you do it many times over...just bust the bank on 2 or 3 STARS and fill in the holes as best you can with late draft picks and CFAs.

For everyone in this thread who wants Grigson to stop "over paying average players and sign the top players" you might want to consider this.....

Go back in free agency and check how signing the top players worked out.

Here's a two word summation:   It hasn't.

That's why Polian stayed away from it.

There are exceptions to every rule, but on balance,  signing the most expensive free agents is a Fools Errand.   It doesn't pay off.

Grigson is trying to build a team of depth,  one with a big middle class.   He always talks about building the best 53 man roster.  And the more high priced players you have,  the fewer middle priced players you're going to have and when that goes,  there goes your depth.

YES !! This is the truth !! Weak in coverage but is a tackling machine, which is what he was brought here to do, So is the coverage issue on him or the DC ? obviously, you can not predict what every play is going to be, but, should he be out there on passing downs ?

For everyone in this thread who wants Grigson to stop "over paying average players and sign the top players" you might want to consider this.....

Go back in free agency and check how signing the top players worked out.

Here's a two word summation:   It hasn't.

That's why Polian stayed away from it.

There are exceptions to every rule, but on balance,  signing the most expensive free agents is a Fools Errand.   It doesn't pay off.

Grigson is trying to build a team of depth,  one with a big middle class.   He always talks about building the best 53 man roster.  And the more high priced players you have,  the fewer middle priced players you're going to have and when that goes,  there goes your depth.

I think that all FA's get overpaid somewhat, the more teams courting said player will drive the price up.