Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release OLB Shaun Phillips

MTC

Now Phillips is released, we really can see the cap coming into view. I think Richardson is gone, and since we can void his contract, that will put us just over 40M cap space, which includes Philliphs release today. I think Donald Thomas is the only one we can assume safely will be let go. Just too many injuries for 3.5M, so I think we go into FA and resigning with right around 44M in Cap Space which is not too bad. Leaves us room for some quality FA's, and resigning many of our 2012 class plus others on the team. I would like to know if we are going to extend Luck now, since we have so much cap space for 2016, I wonder if we should wait a year, but he will only become more expensive. Better to lock him down, and then have that contract broken down into 7 years, which makes it easier to digest.

I would like to know if we are going to extend Luck now, since we have so much cap space for 2016, I wonder if we should wait a year, but he will only become more expensive. Better to lock him down, and then have that contract broken down into 7 years, which makes it easier to digest.

It's very possible that Luck's extension, even if done in 2015, won't have a significant impact on the cap until 2016. The pattern for a lot of rookie contract extensions is to pay the bonus in the last year of the rookie deal, but leave the increased salaries for the future years of the deal.

So if Luck signed a five+ year deal with a $20m signing bonus in 2015, it would increase the 2015 cap hit by $4m, but the rest of the money doesn't start hitting the cap until 2016. That's the main reason I think they'll reach a deal sometime before the start of the 2015 season, is for those cap accounting purposes.