Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is RJF a realistic cap casualty?

We save about $4.9M by cutting him this off-season. That's a pretty high price for such a mediocre player. 

The way I look at it is that we don't really lose anything by cutting him, he's a JAG. And we'll need all the cap space we can for all of our 2012 draft class. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only think you cut him if you plan to find an upgrade in the draft or FA. He's not worth what he's getting paid but he's better than just about every other player on the DL right now.

The way we are set up going into 2016 I don't think we'll have any trouble fitting in contracts for 2012 signings.

Letting go of RJF, Thomas and TRIch would save us A LOT of money. Losing the three of them will not make this team any worse, as Thomas hasn't hardly played a full game since being here. That's at least 10 million extra in cap space we would have to help get the correct FA we would need to integrate into our system that could immediately contribute. 

Letting go of RJF, Thomas and TRIch would save us A LOT of money. Losing the three of them will not make this team any worse, as Thomas hasn't hardly played a full game since being here. That's at least 10 million extra in cap space we would have to help get the correct FA we would need to integrate into our system that could immediately contribute. 

I have 6 realistic cuts to give us $53M in cap space. RJF, Landry, Thomas, Phillips, Trent and Ballard. That's an extra $15M in cap space and the team doesn't get any worse. 

Cutting Toler would save a good chunk too but he's not going anywhere.

Yeah, along with making our secondary absolutely terrible. 

Also I don't see us cutting RJF, Grigson hasn't really shown too much precedent in just outright cutting someone with a significant role, but he hasn't really had the need yet. We don't really have a replacement for him in my opinion, so I don't really see it happening. 

You don't make that decision until you have a firm replacement for him. I don't think his replacement is on the roster (I think Hughes or Kerr have not proven reliable), so that replacement would come via FA or draft.

You DON'T cut someone first, then back yourself into a corner and having to overpay or overdraft a need. Anyone cut by the Colts won't come until after FA or the draft, IMO.

All of the players mentioned above can contribute next year (other than Thomas), but I would expect one or two more to be cut, depending upon how FA and the draft falls.

He's overpaid for his role, but I think he's a good player. Value above replacement makes him a possible cut, but I also think we lose Redding. So now you're spending resources to replace two DL. I'd rather hold RJF for another year. I don't think a restructure is likely.

If Redding wants another year, maybe RJF can go, but I'm not in any hurry to push him out the door.

Also, we can designate Cherilus as a June 1st cut and save an extra $4M.

Are you counting Trent's salary?

As for Cherilus, that's definitely where I'm at. I'd want to wait to get a good look at him in the offseason, but then you run the risk of him getting hurt again, and now you're stuck for another year. I'd cut him as a post-June 1 release and avoid tacking an extra $4m onto the total bill.

RJF is doing little more than a UDFA is doing, should be paid 1-2 million a year max. IMO release him. Also decline to resign Redding.

Sign 1 good DE in FA, then pug in the holes. I can see a lineup like this next year maybe.

Jones-Chapman-Cedric Thornton

Kerr - Hughes - Quarles

Are you counting Trent's salary?

As for Cherilus, that's definitely where I'm at. I'd want to wait to get a good look at him in the offseason, but then you run the risk of him getting hurt again, and now you're stuck for another year. I'd cut him as a post-June 1 release and avoid tacking an extra $4m onto the total bill.

Yeah, I was counting Trent's $3M.

He's overpaid for his role, but I think he's a good player. Value above replacement makes him a possible cut, but I also think we lose Redding. So now you're spending resources to replace two DL. I'd rather hold RJF for another year. I don't think a restructure is likely.

If Redding wants another year, maybe RJF can go, but I'm not in any hurry to push him out the door.

Chapman could realistically get cut as well. He hasn't played well enough to warrant a roster spot, so that's 3 DL you could look at replacing.

Releasing TRich won't save this team a dollar. . . neither in actual dollars or cap dollars. 

As the #3 pick in the 2012 draft, his entire 4 year contract is 100% guaranteed.  Just like Luck's is.

We could cut him but we would break even and only gain a roster spot. 

Not saying it wouldn't be worth it though. . .

Chapman could realistically get cut as well. He hasn't played well enough to warrant a roster spot, so that's 3 DL you could look at replacing.

Even if you get someone who's obviously better then Chapman. . . say we sign Pot roast.  Chapman is on a 5th round pick rookie contract.  At the very least he's a cheap backup. 

That is unless the team determines that Hughes or Kerr is the superior nose tackle.  They are also on cheap contracts.

Releasing TRich won't save this team a dollar. . . neither in actual dollars or cap dollars.

As the #3 pick in the 2012 draft, his entire 4 year contract is 100% guaranteed. Just like Luck's is.

We could cut him but we would break even and only gain a roster spot.

Not saying it wouldn't be worth it though. . .

If his guarantee is voided because of the suspension, then we would save.

Ehh, Chapman is fine. He played too many snaps this season. He needs to go back to a time-share/reserve role like he had in 2013. But he's very cheap, so the value over replacement says he stays. If you do cut him, it's at the cut down in preseason, and it's because he was outplayed by someone. He's far from untouchable, though.

RJF had a solid year though faded down the end and as mentioned we might lose Redding, So keep Francois. Cutting Cherilus I have no problem with though, Need a RT that can actually open up run lanes. Cut him as a post June 1 release and draft an athletic T/G prospect who can open up holes in the run game.......Im all for Jamil Douglas out of Arizona State

No, not really.  I think the earliest Chapman could possibly be in danger of being in cut is the final cut down to 53 next season and that's only if we wind up with a couple of players that outplay him.  He played solidly most of the time...there were only a couple of games that he played poorly. He's also only been a full time starter for one year (so still plenty of room for further improvement/development) and he's still on his rookie contract (which as a 5th round pick makes him extremely cheap).  

I don't think RJF goes anywhere either.  As Superman said, he's a bit overpaid for what his role was this past season, but next year I expect him to move into a starter's role opposite Jones.  so again, I don't think RJF is in any danger of being cut before cutdowns to the final 53 next preseason.

My goodness, cut your starting RT (injured most of year and played like it)

Cut your starting DE after seeing your other starting DE most likely retire.

Cut your Starting (mostly) safety

Cut a starting CB

Madden isn't filling these spots. You can't expect to refill all the slots with new guys who play better and pay them better contracts.

If love to cut the safety but he is not a cap savings at all this year. Our RT played horrible this season but played pretty well the prior one, the one he was healthy. Making a June 1st cut just moves money and pain to the following year as well. If you are gonna make a June 1st designated cut, make it Landry over the Cherilous imo.

Toler is paid what a good starting CB gets paid and he wasn't our problem as much as no pressure. I can at least get the cutting of RJF because I think he is overpaid and he didn't produce as well as I would expect for his price tag. That's a cap savings.

This team will have cap money to spend. It could lock up 1-2 of our guys this year for the future (TY & one of the TE's) and get a top tier defensive guy. Maybe not a Suh but justin Houston type.

Just can't cut everyone and buy all new people at once, doesn't work that way.

I'd sacrifice a RJF, Richardson and the gaurd who has played about 3 games for us (Thomas) if it meant we can go get one very solid impact player on the oline or dline. Fill in spots with draft, guys already here and FA mid levels.

I would not be surprised if we cut Donald Thomas and Laron Landry. RJF seems ok, a good role player. If Redding retires, not sure we can afford to let RJF go.

I am not sure what all players are available in free agency yet, I haven't looked very closely. I am not sure if Devin McCourty would be a good fit at safety for us, and I am not sure what kind of contract he will command. Dan Williams, NT from Arizona could be interesting.

I also read that Logan Mankins could get cut, I would be interested in seeing if we could get him on a more cap friendly 2 to 3 year deal.

They were using technique to just shove him out of the way in the AFC championship game.

The'd take his momentum one way and a hole would open up.  Some of the same stuff was

happening to Hughes as well. Plus guys like Phillps were not holding contain on the edges.

They were using technique to just shove him out of the way in the AFC championship game.

The'd take his momentum one way and a hole would open up.  Some of the same stuff was

happening to Hughes as well. Plus guys like Phillps were not holding contain on the edges.

If that's the case, we need someone who can be more of an anchor and not get so easily moved at NT. And this looks like a good draft for that. There's Shelton, Carl Davis, Jordan Phillips, Eddie Goldman, Malcom Brown, and others. We need a guy with technique and not just a big body. That's how I feel about Hughes and Chapman, they're just big bodies that fit the 3-4.

Phillips is getting cut anyways though. Definitely could've used a better edge setter out there though. Werner was a healthy scratch though.

If that's the case, we need someone who can be more of an anchor and not get so easily moved at NT. And this looks like a good draft for that. There's Shelton, Carl Davis, Jordan Phillips, Eddie Goldman, Malcom Brown, and others. We need a guy with technique and not just a big body. That's how I feel about Hughes and Chapman, they're just big bodies that fit the 3-4.

Phillips is getting cut anyways though. Definitely could've used a better edge setter out there though. Werner was a healthy scratch though.

Hadn't paid much attention to Goldman.  Is he similar to Brandon Williams from Baltimore?  I'm looking for a guy like that at the NT.

That is my understanding too. I think the Colts will cut him loose no matter but if they can void the rest of his contract that would be sweet. A little over 3 million would help.

Yeah, the money is in escrow. If the Colts try to withhold because of his suspension, then it will be a matter of legality and will get settled. But I think he's off the roster, either way. If they award the team the $3m, great. If not, oh well.

That's not the way it works. Make Cherilus a post-June 1 cut, and you save cap space of $4m in 2015, $4.1m in 2016, and $9.9m in 2017.

My point would be, if you are gonna take the cap hit anyway, might as well keep him this year, hope he plays better and is healthy. Next year, I thought if we cut him then, his cap hit becomes a positive for the team that season and he is clear of the contract.