Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

Wow....There's no way I stop watching the Colts, even if the Commish drops the ball on this issue with the Patriots. But, the integrity of the league is tarnished. The NFL has a trust problem.

When Billy B comes out and claims he has no idea about the inner workings of the ball tests, it doesn't make any sense. Thats all the media needed though, to try and change the narrative. They say they believe him. I don't believe anybody that says that. If my kids try to lie to me they are usually quickly found out using occams razor. The truth usually comes to light through basic logic. I'm supposed to believe the media is this gullible.

I see this being a set up for the league to claim not enough evidence was available. Brady 's gonna do the same thing.

It's disheartening to know the Colts were cheated in the AFCCG. I disagree with Dwayne Allen. The NFL is a game of inches. I've watched enough football to know games are won or lost in a couple of plays. Even blow outs can turn on a couple of plays.

The Patriots constantly cheat, run up the score, cheat, talk trash, and cheat. They have their own sports network in ESPN, who slant the narrative to make the Patriots out to be more amazing than they are.

I'm not impressed with Brady's postseason record. he's 11-8 after spygate, and at least one of those wins was the result of cheating. He hasn't won a Superbowl since his team was caught cheating the first time, but according to ESPN he's supposedly the greatest ever. It doesn't pass the logic test.

When it's all said and done I'm coming to the realization that the league is gonna sweep this under the rug. The Colts said something about deflated balls back in November. The league did nothing. The public didn't even hear about it. They said something again in the AFCCG. Only this time the Colts made sure the NFL had to address it, by leaking it to Kravitz. If Kravitz never tweeted Sunday night, we would still know nothing about it. Now we see the beginning stages of an all out cover up. Everyone will just deny it, the league will downplay Mortensons tweet, and they will finish it off with a "not enough evidence" announcement. ESPN will claim sour grapes on the Colts part, and the rest will be history.

I just posted the same comment (similar). I find it hard to believe he doesn't understand how all that's supposed to work.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this will be swept under the rug too. I love watching football, but this will be very disappointing if the league does not hand down some type of SERIOUS discipline. I will not be watching the Superbowl this year. Not that anyone really cares, but if this is not dealt with properly, I'll make a serious attempt to wean myself off football next season. I am that annoyed with this.

I can see him saying something similar but not fully taking any sort of fault. They're hoping their is no proof from the investigation to put anything on them.

The deflated footballs are collectively the smoking gun. There is nothing else to prove except for the Pats organization to explain who did it and for what purpose they did so. If they cannot explain this it makes no difference because they have already been caught red handed once again.

I believe this will be swept under the rug too. I love watching football, but this will be very disappointing if the league does not hand down some type of SERIOUS discipline. I will not be watching the Superbowl this year. Not that anyone really cares, but if this is not dealt with properly, I'll make a serious attempt to wean myself off football next season. I am that annoyed with this.

Liar lol

If the balls were filled with warm/hot air at room temperature then they could absolutely lose 1-2 psi in a relatively sshort period of time in 50 degree, rainy weather

Great!  Knowingly filling a ball with hot air just before giving them t an official for testing is tantamount to cheating knowing they would pass inspection but would be in illegal form by game time.  Awesome, now officials with have to thermally scan each ball before measuring psi? I doubt it, because that's not happened, I'm sure.  It is already policy for Ref to be sure to make all out of spec balls to 13 psi. I assume if one measures 12.5 or 13.5, they let it pass as well. All others get inflated or deflated to spec as appropriate, then put in a ball bag and stay in officials room. Later, this is given to equipment guy of each team 10 minutes before start of the game.

I feel let QB prep all balls, but they should be brought in to the officials at 10 lbs per square inch and let the Refs pump them up to 12.5, 13, or 13.5 psi depending on QB preference.  Then hold them until game time, and have a league monitor the bag and equipment guy during the game.

Thats what's so funny, there is no team in the league that has been watched more close or with more scrutiny than the Pats and people still try to tear them down.

That's actually true. The Patriots have been accused more than other teams, and twice it was true. They're watched as much as any other team, but they've been guilty in a couple of investigations. If a sexual predator lives in a neighborhood, and a child comes up missing in that neighborhood, should there be some scrutiny of that sexual predator?

Went to bed last night with 49 pages and OMG y'all have been chattering!!!

I'm not a Belicheck fan, but found him to be for the most part believable in his press conference.  

This points right back to Mr. "I'm an f* machine in the winter," if you remember the comments he made some time ago.  Now we know why...

I had a hard time believing that a guy who is meticulous about the condition of the footballs used in practice doesn't have any knowledge of the condition of the footballs used for games.  But that's just me.

Nobody has called out the fact BB contradicted himself this morning by saying he's never done anything that has to do with preparing the ball then said he prefers them as hard as possible

Dude is a liar. I hope nobody is surprised by that. 

Dude even said he's never touched a game ball lol

Under inflated footballs is evidence of under inflated footballs. It is not evidence of intentional tampering, as badly as you want it to be so.

See this is where I'm failing to understand the logic. The balls being under inflated by 2 PSI means somebody let air out. I keep hearing the weather defense, which is akin to my kids claiming a ghost messed their room up. The weather doesn't choose Patriot balls over Colts balls. Somebody let the air out. It's not even debatable.

Nobody has called out the fact BB contradicted himself this morning by saying he's never done anything that has to do with preparing the ball then said he prefers them as hard as possible

I raised my eyebrow to a few things he said regarding the ball. In one breath he acted as if he wasn't aware that the football isn't round, and then he would make comments about where they set the pressure etc. Can't remember the exact words, but I did catch some seemingly contradictory language. 

I raised my eyebrow to a few things he said regarding the ball. In one breath he acted as if he wasn't aware that the football isn't round, and then he would make comments about where they set the pressure etc. Can't remember the exact words, but I did catch some seemingly contradictory language. 

well they've lied so much they can't get their lies straight

Under inflated footballs is evidence of under inflated footballs. It is not evidence of intentional tampering, as badly as you want it to be so.

It is evidence of intentional tampering, as badly as you don't want it to be. You support a crooked, scumbag, farce of a franchise. You lose credibility with everyone but yourself and your Patriot buddies every time you open your mouth (type). Just quit. Not one single ounce of a crap will be given about anything you have to say, until you speak the truth which you lack the ability to do. Bye Felicia!

That or he says he doesnt touch or handle them in any way or know anything about them and then states that supposedly they have them at the league minimum.  Really?  Which is true, you either do or do not know what your game balls are set at.

you brought it up. And Marvin has yet to be charged

Not universally true, Marv was always pretty stoic on the field, almost emotionless, & that was a respectable trait during a time when recievers like Ocho Cinco were creating elaborate & sometimes embarrassing TD celebrations, but the Colts fans I was around, the guys I went to College with during Marv's heyday, all suspected Marv of being suspect to a thuggish North Philly personal life...

After the ordeal it confirmed our suspicions...

Always been a bigger fan of Reggie...

Nothing did happen with Harrison.  If charges are ever brought against him and he's tried and convicted then I will denounce Harrison but I'm not going to hold it against a player because some DA wants to make a national name for himself by going after a popular football player.

But I do agree that it's funny that people think a players media persona gives them insight into the person themselves.

You guys are all among my favorite Indy fans so I don't want to escalate this. I respect you all and have enjoyed talking football with you. In jvan and CD's case, that goes back a long time now... years. Others quoted it too but I don't really know any of them all that well, and they don't know me or my history that well, so there's no point in responding. 

So my apologies, I shouldn't have raised the point with MH. Bad call by me. I just can't stand the whole "classy" thing. We don't know these guys. We see the small parts of their lives that they want us to see. Poor judgment on my part to bring it up though. My bad. 

These past few days have been annoying, frustrating... you name it... as a Pats fan. Making the SB again was supposed to be a shot to solidify legacies and right some wrongs. The worst part is, as I think most of the NFL watching public would agree, the Patriots don't need these small advantages to win. If this all turns out to be something shady then it's just *ic. 

Anyway, we'll see what the remainder of the week brings. 

These past few days have been annoying, frustrating... you name it... as a Pats fan. Making the SB again was supposed to be a shot to solidify legacies and right some wrongs. The worst part is, as I think most of the NFL watching public would agree, the Patriots don't need these small advantages to win. If this all turns out to be something shady then it's just *ic. 

You are correct when it comes to the game last weekend, but you never know how many times they did it beforehand. Who knows if they did it just a week earlier when the game was closer? It's simply not out of the realm of possibility considering they did it in a game they didn't need to. If that's the case it could have possibly been either be the Colts or the Ravens in the SB.

The "Patriot Way" is synonymous with cheating outside of New England. This is on top of Spygate. No matter what happens now, all the titles, all the records, all the legacies, are all tarnished, tainted, and asterisk'd in the eyes of anyone that isn't a Patriots fan. That would make me sick as a Patriots fan. I guess growing up means watching your heroes turn human in front of you.

@barthubbuch:

Analysis shows Patriots' zero home fumbles this year were off-the-charts unlikely. Deflated balls = easier to grip. http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932 

https://twitter.com/BartHubbuch/status/558370314640707586

"The 2014 Patriots were just the 3rd team in the last 25 years to never have lost a fumble at home!  The biggest difference between the Patriots and the other 2 teams who did it was that New England ran between 150 and 200 MORE plays this year than those teams did in the years they had zero home fumbles, making the Patriots stand alone in this unique statistic.

I actually went back and researched 5 year periods for the entire NFL over the last 25 years. The Patriots ratio of 187 plays to 1 fumble is the BEST of ANY team in the NFL for ANY 5 year span of time over the last 25 years. Not was it just the best, it wasn’t close:

1. 2010-2014 Patriots:  187 plays/fumble
  2. 2009-2013 Patriots:  156 plays/fumble
  3. 2006-2010 Colts:  156 plays/fumble
  4. 2005-2009 Colts:  153 plays/fumble
  5. 2007-2011 Patriots:  149 plays/fumble
  6. 2008-2012 Patriots:  148 plays/fumble
  7. 2010-2014 Texans:  140 plays/fumble
  8. 2004-2008 Colts:  139 plays/fumble
  9. 2006-2010 Jets:  135 plays/fumble
  10. 1999-2003 Chiefs:  134 plays/fumble

There are a few key takeaways.  First and foremost, the 187 plays/fumble dwarfs even the rest of the best seasons the last 25 years.  Second, the Patriots have been at the top of the NFL since 2007."

This is pretty good stuff, I suggest to read the whole article, as it gets into their performance in bad weather games.

Liar lol

Ha, I did say attempt... :)