Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts just need to get into the playoffs

Dudley Smith

I feel like people are really overreacting to all of the "Colts are winless against other division leaders/winless in big games" mumbo jumbo that is getting thrown around here and in the media. First off, the Colts beat Cincy, who I believe is a division leader. Yes, AJ Green wasn't in that game but the Colts blew them out. I doubt Green was worth 27 points.

The last ten years or so should have shown NFL fans that all your team truly needs to do is to get into the playoffs to have a chance at a SB. A lot of times, the "best" team doesn't win the whole thing. Both years in the past ten that the Giants won the whole thing, they came out of a putrid NFC East and had been left for dead. The Ravens were one of the last teams anyone expected to win the whole thing two seasons ago, in fact some thought the young Colts had a chance to upset them in their very first game. When our Colts won in 06-07, the Colts were not one of the teams people thought had a chance. The defense had been awful at times at that season, and no one believed Manning had enough help to get it done. Yes, one of the favorites won it all last year, but just as often, if not more often, a team that is on no one's radar is the winner.

The more important question, whether or not the team is flawed (and this Colts team is with both the OL and DL), is whether they are good enough to knock off teams better than them. I think our Colts are, and I think the Pats loss, while very disappointing on multiple levels, has caused an overreaction with both our fans and the media. The Colts just need to focus on winning their division and once in the playoffs, anything can happen. This Colts team IS good enough to beat the Pats and Broncos even if they may not be as good a team. The Colts primary concern should be the Texans at this point since they are only a game behind, and the first step to that is to take care of business against Jax at home this coming weekend.

The defense was pitiful against the Pats and some coaching decisions were dubious, but as 06-07 showed us, a lot can change in the playoffs. The Colts just need to win the division and take one game at a time.

I feel like people are really overreacting to all of the "Colts are winless against other division leaders/winless in big games" mumbo jumbo that is getting thrown around here and in the media. First off, the Colts beat Cincy, who I believe is a division leader. Yes, AJ Green wasn't in that game but the Colts blew them out. I doubt Green was worth 27 points.

The last ten years or so should have shown NFL fans that all your team truly needs to do is to get into the playoffs to have a chance at a SB. A lot of times, the "best" team doesn't win the whole thing. Both years in the past ten that the Giants won the whole thing, they came out of a putrid NFC East and had been left for dead. The Ravens were one of the last teams anyone expected to win the whole thing two seasons ago, in fact some thought the young Colts had a chance to upset them in their very first game. When our Colts won in 06-07, the Colts were not one of the teams people thought had a chance. The defense had been awful at times at that season, and no one believed Manning had enough help to get it done. Yes, one of the favorites won it all last year, but just as often, if not more often, a team that is on no one's radar is the winner.

The more important question, whether or not the team is flawed (and this Colts team is with both the OL and DL), is whether they are good enough to knock off teams better than them. I think our Colts are, and I think the Pats loss, while very disappointing on multiple levels, has caused an overreaction with both our fans and the media. The Colts just need to focus on winning their division and once in the playoffs, anything can happen. This Colts team IS good enough to beat the Pats and Broncos even if they may not be as good a team. The Colts primary concern should be the Texans at this point since they are only a game behind, and the first step to that is to take care of business against Jax at home this coming weekend.

The defense was pitiful against the Pats and some coaching decisions were dubious, but as 06-07 showed us, a lot can change in the playoffs. The Colts just need to win the division and take one game at a time.

Yes, let's get into the playoffs and go to NE so :flyingelvis: can drop another 40+ points on us for the FOURTH straight time in the Andrew Luck Era

It's not overreacting

The Jags, Giants, or Titans are not the teams we face in the playoffs

It's the Steelers, Patriots, Broncos..... You know, the teams we struggle with.

Why go to the playoffs if you can't beat the teams in the playoffs? Those "division leaders" you claim we're overreacting to are gonna be there in December/January...... To be the best, you must beat the best

It's that simple

Yes, let's get into the playoffs and go to NE so :flyingelvis: can drop another 40+ points on us for the FOURTH straight time in the Andrew Luck Era

It's not overreacting

Why go to the playoffs if you can't beat the teams in the playoffs? Those "division leaders" you claim we're overreacting to are gonna be there in December/January...... To be the best, you must beat the best

It's that simple

My entire original post was in response to your line of thinking. It sounds like you just want to disagree, which is fine. I wouldn't like our Colts' chances in Foxboro in January either, but the point was that it's the NFL, and strange things can happen. For instance -- the Pats are the one seed, we are the three, and the Pats get knocked off by someone such as Cincy before we even have to face them. Yes, we would likely still would have to beat the Broncos in that scenario, but to say our team has no shot whatsoever is being overly pessimistic IMO. Colts were in the game into the 4th quarter on Sunday. If the defense even slows Gray down a little bit we have a shot at the end. The defense is what it is at this point, but I think schematically it can definitely be improved. Whether that happens or not -- who knows.

It's not overreacting

It's that simple

Actually to be the best you must beat the best in January :)

Dudley's point is that as long as we make the Playoffs we have a chance, any given Sunday right? Look at 2006... Defense steps up out of nowhere to win us the SB. There's a lot of football to be played between then and now and strange things can happen. You saying we will play NE in the playoffs and have 40+ dropped on us is as big a reach as me saying we will make the playoffs and blow away all before us in our SB conquest. Who knows what will happen, but I'd rather dream and hope then moan and mope. 

I think most of us are just disappointed that we have been flat out unprepared for big games. Sunday night, after the first drive, we should have known that BB wanted to run the ball. We didn't adjust, and they continued to run the same play all night. 10 yards a carry? The little league team I coached didn't even give that up, and we came in last place! That doesn't scream confidence, and at this point it was coaching. We handled the passing game well, but Chuck and Manusky did nothing to stop that run. Those drives kept our offense on the bench and wore our defense out. This is the team we built all offseason to beat, and they punched us right in the mouth. Until our coaches learn to adjust their gameplans in game, we cannot be considered a contender.

Actually to be the best you must beat the best in January :)

Dudley's point is that as long as we make the Playoffs we have a chance, any given Sunday right? Look at 2006... Defense steps up out of nowhere to win us the SB. There's a lot of football to be played between then and now and strange things can happen. 

The only issue with this is that we have been fairly injury free on defense. Yes, losing Mathis hurt, but we have nobody coming back that completely changes who we are physically. That's why the comparison to 2006 doesn't work.

I think most of us are just disappointed that we have been flat out unprepared for big games. Sunday night, after the first drive, we should have known that BB wanted to run the ball. We didn't adjust, and they continued to run the same play all night. 10 yards a carry? The little league team I coached didn't even give that up, and we came in last place! That doesn't scream confidence, and at this point it was coaching. We handled the passing game well, but Chuck and Manusky did nothing to stop that run. Those drives kept our offense on the bench and wore our defense out. This is the team we built all offseason to beat, and they punched us right in the mouth. Until our coaches learn to adjust their gameplans in game, we cannot be considered a contender.

I thought that too. Why hasn't the defense adjusted. I wondered why they didn't bring in Landry. Since his strength would seem to be physicality and stopping the run. I also thought tho, that as soon as we start stacking the box to stop the run they are gonna hit a big pass which they did anyway!

I believe this defense was exposed for what it is. Soft in the middle at all 3 levels.

The only issue with this is that we have been fairly injury free on defense. Yes, losing Mathis hurt, but we have nobody coming back that completely changes who we are physically. That's why the comparison to 2006 doesn't work.

True but I also feel this 2014 team is performing better on D in the regular season, especially against the run... (yes I know!). It's hard to compare eras with the way Offenses have exploded and put it through the air more but the 2006 team gave up 173 yard per game on the ground (32nd) wheras 2014, even after the NE game, is giving up 113 yard per game (17th). 

I feel too we've got the teams with the most dangerous offenses out the way now (except maybe Dallas) so I'd hope the D picks itself back up again. There are some good pieces on it, and for all the Manusky hate I think he's doing a good job manufacturing a pass rush without a premier pass rusher on the whole.

Things always look worse in the darkness of defeat but hopefully the new dawn of a victory over the Jags on Sunday will make things a bit brighter.... well at least make the trolls go back into their caves :)  

I thought that too. Why hasn't the defense adjusted. I wondered why they didn't bring in Landry. Since his strength would seem to be physicality and stopping the run. I also thought tho, that as soon as we start stacking the box to stop the run they are gonna hit a big pass which they did anyway!

I believe this defense was exposed for what it is. Soft in the middle at all 3 levels.

This however... is a very valid criticism of the D. Chapman and Hughes after promising starts seem to have regressed somewhat and the ILBs are getting picked on... Safety hasn't been as much of a horror show as it could have been but we lack true quality there. Adams has been better than expected but that's not saying much.

It's not overreacting

It's that simple

Some people just don't get it and over react and your one of them.. Good day sir...

This however... is a very valid criticism of the D. Chapman and Hughes after promising starts seem to have regressed somewhat and the ILBs are getting picked on... Safety hasn't been as much of a horror show as it could have been but we lack true quality there. Adams has been better than expected but that's not saying much.

My criticism of the safety play is in the run game. Neither one looked like they WANTED to come up and tackle Gray. They looked tentative and most good players can sense that and Gray ran hard. As for the ILB play, they got lost on blocks. I like Freeman but he looks like he is too small to be effective against the run. He looks like a safety trying to take on G's and T's t that outweigh him by 80 pounds. He has heart but I don't think he has the body to do what needs to be done in there.

My criticism of the safety play is in the run game. Neither one looked like they WANTED to come up and tackle Gray. They looked tentative and most good players can sense that and Gray ran hard. As for the ILB play, they got lost on blocks. I like Freeman but he looks like he is too small to be effective against the run. He looks like a safety trying to take on G's and T's t that outweigh him by 80 pounds. He has heart but I don't think he has the body to do what needs to be done in there.

A fair assessment, problem being I can't see the answer most people suggest (Landry) actually being that much better against the run. Horrible pursuit angles and going for big splash plays rather than wrapping up. 

Interesting you say that about Freeman looking like a S, seems to be the new vogue to play 3 or 4 Safetys with hybrid S/ILBs. 

Freeman is not close to 100%, He is also 240lbs which is the same as two of our other 3 ILB's

My entire original post was in response to your line of thinking. It sounds like you just want to disagree, which is fine. I wouldn't like our Colts' chances in Foxboro in January either, but the point was that it's the NFL, and strange things can happen. For instance -- the Pats are the one seed, we are the three, and the Pats get knocked off by someone such as Cincy before we even have to face them. Yes, we would likely still would have to beat the Broncos in that scenario, but to say our team has no shot whatsoever is being overly pessimistic IMO. Colts were in the game into the 4th quarter on Sunday. If the defense even slows Gray down a little bit we have a shot at the end. The defense is what it is at this point, but I think schematically it can definitely be improved. Whether that happens or not -- who knows.

Believe me, I wanna beat NE.... Sick of living in their shadow. It's truly sickening that even when Peyton is gone, we still struggle to best them

But until we play smarter and more disciplined football, we'll continue to be beat by a big margin

This season is done as far as being competitive beyond the (maybe) first round of the playoffs. Hate if you want - my "Pollyanna" days are done.

I agree.  What good is making the playoffs and then going one and out, or two and out.  We are stuck in playoff purgatory, good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to do anything with it.  IF we had beaten the Patriots this past Sunday and had home field advantage throughout the playoffs, then the home crowd could help overcome the Colts areas of weakness. 

Playing in Foxboro, or Denver will only bring out the "bad" Colts that we all saw 2 out of the last 3 games.  That's assuming we even make it to play in one of those places, which is something that I highly doubt will happen.

Personally, I want a Superbowl Championship for the Colts, anything less is a wasted season, and wasted potential for our future Hall of Fame QB, Luck.  It's maddening to know we have the best QB in the league (potentially) and we continually squander our opportunities.

Do people remember the first 3 years (and beyond) under Manning? Whether folks want to admit it or not, this is year 3 of a complete rebuild and we aren't the Pats because we haven't had the same system in place for 15 years. I know in a Twitter, Instagram, Facebook society, everyone wants everything now, but things aren't as bad as many of you are saying. Am I disappointed we lost to NE like we did? Yes. Does it change how I feel about the team the rest of season? Yes, it lowers what were growing expectations. This team is still fun to watch and shows a ton of promise. What we are watching is a mix of trying to win now while building for the future. There are a lot of young players on the OL and DL that show promise but have also regressed...there will be bumps in the road. We will win the division and if things really do click, then this team could still make some noise in the playoffs. 

Unless Arthur Jones and Redding light a fire under the defense, I don't see how we are just going to get magically better at stopping the run, which is what has been preached since Pagano took over. 

As far as running the ball, I don't see why we don't shuffle our O-Line around until we figure out the killer combo of what works. Like Ravens did on their SB run, or like the Pats did at the beginning of the year. The coaches were willing to experiment at Center, why not other positions? 

If we can't stop the run, or can't run the ball....we'll be one and done.....again. Then I'll be super sad panda. Again.  

Yeah, I am really looking forward to our playoff one-and-done.

I would rather have a better draft position.

Really? Then maybe you should root for the Bucs or Raiders if you'd prefer consistently higher draft picks over playoff appearances. I mean, seriously, how can you prefer we not make the playoffs to have a slightly higher pick? 

Do people realize that we have only missed the playoffs 4 times since 1995? And 2 of those misses resulted in us drafting PM and AL. While there is a lot of frustration in those playoff appearances, I'll take making the dance 15 times in 19 years over being terrible or barely missing a bunch of times. Actually, Indy doesn't get enough press for the kind of run. The Pats have 14 appearances over the same span. If you go back one more year to 1994 to make it 20 seasons (1994-2013), then the Pats and Colts have the exact same number of playoff appearances at 15. That's making the playoffs 75% of the time over a 20 year period. Impressive. I assume that's the most over that span but haven't confirmed. Sure, the Pats have two more ringzzzzzzz, but do we really have it that bad as Colts fans?

It's not overreacting

It's that simple

So, you're saying that if a team can't beat another team in the regular season they won't be able to beat them in the playoffs?

So, you're saying that if a team can't beat another team in the regular season they won't be able to beat them in the playoffs?

Anything is possible, CoffeeD.  I think the concern is rooted in how awful our defense looked against the Steelers and then the hated Patriots.  We have a better shot at taking out Pittsburg on a second matchup, I believe.  Unless something untowards happens to the Pats (injury-wise) - they look might tough right now.

True but I also feel this 2014 team is performing better on D in the regular season, especially against the run... (yes I know!). It's hard to compare eras with the way Offenses have exploded and put it through the air more but the 2006 team gave up 173 yard per game on the ground (32nd) wheras 2014, even after the NE game, is giving up 113 yard per game (17th). 

I feel too we've got the teams with the most dangerous offenses out the way now (except maybe Dallas) so I'd hope the D picks itself back up again. There are some good pieces on it, and for all the Manusky hate I think he's doing a good job manufacturing a pass rush without a premier pass rusher on the whole.

Things always look worse in the darkness of defeat but hopefully the new dawn of a victory over the Jags on Sunday will make things a bit brighter.... well at least make the trolls go back into their caves :)

Dallas scares the living daylights out of me. Being in Texas, I've seen what they can do. They win games with their o-line. I believe that is their biggest strength. I will say I have been impressed with some of the manufacturing of the pass rush, but it disappears against good teams with good lines and a QB that can work a pocket. I posted in another threat that out of our 24 sacks this season, 12 came in AFCS games. In the 4 games we've lost, we have only gotten 1.

Anything is possible, CoffeeD.  I think the concern is rooted in how awful our defense looked against the Steelers and then the hated Patriots.  We have a better shot at taking out Pittsburg on a second matchup, I believe.  Unless something untowards happens to the Pats (injury-wise) - they look might tough right now.

I'm not saying there are no concerns I was just asking a question to TKnight who is not answering.  And, even with the concerns, I like the Colts chances against the Pats as much as the Steelers.

have first out coach them are at least be same level. then rest is  up to talents of the players.

I really don't have time to translate.  I assume you are sending from your phone because I often like your posts.

For all of those saying 06 this and that during those playoffs the colts best run defender of all time was playing bob sanders. No one on this defense is even close to his run d ability or his skill level. So no this d will not change on the playoffs.

TRUE ,  were do we have a player like a barry sander ? we need a jj watts type a player base on his drive . this guy plays win try evry witch way from defense too offense ,and spec teams . colts don,t have a player like this on team active rooster.

Really? Then maybe you should root for the Bucs or Raiders if you'd prefer consistently higher draft picks over playoff appearances. I mean, seriously, how can you prefer we not make the playoffs to have a slightly higher pick? 

Do people realize that we have only missed the playoffs 4 times since 1995? And 2 of those misses resulted in us drafting PM and AL. While there is a lot of frustration in those playoff appearances, I'll take making the dance 15 times in 19 years over being terrible or barely missing a bunch of times. Actually, Indy doesn't get enough press for the kind of run. The Pats have 14 appearances over the same span. If you go back one more year to 1994 to make it 20 seasons (1994-2013), then the Pats and Colts have the exact same number of playoff appearances at 15. That's making the playoffs 75% of the time over a 20 year period. Impressive. I assume that's the most over that span but haven't confirmed. Sure, the Pats have two more ringzzzzzzz, but do we really have it that bad as Colts fans?

Just talking about THIS season. It seems like such an uphill climb with injuries and limited talent...an aging Reggie who is giving his all but has obviously slowed down, a floater WR Nicks who makes occasional appearances during the year, a run game that has come to a halt with the loss of Bradshaw and the past failure to invest serious draft picks in solid RBs, a D who cannot stop the run and cannot rush the passer except for the odd game against a bad team. And then there is poor Andrew trying to make something out of nothing while Pep feeds him college plays against NFL caliber D-Coordinators and Coach Chuck stands on the sidelines cheering his guys on while not understanding what to do.