Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Indianapolis Colts = Pretenders

SilentHill

Let me start by saying that I'm cautiously optimistic, as we will have this division wrapped up shortly, even with the expected loss of Bradshaw, once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen.

That is where the positives end, this team is a pretender.

With home losses to Patriots, and Eagles and Road losses to Denver and Pittsburgh, we haven't beaten any playoff caliber teams this season, except maybe Baltimore, and we just squeaked that one out.

This defense is a complete bust when it comes to what we had hoped for, we spent big money in FA to build this defense into a unit that can make teams one dimensional by stopping the run and forcing them to throw at our better than average secondary. What we proved last night is that we can't do anything against a playoff caliber team, we are outmatched at coaching across the board and our guys can't execute even if we did have a good game plan. It really makes me sick to think that I bought into what they were selling only to find out it was snake oil.

The offense is OK, Andrew Luck is as advertised except he refuses to bring the ball down, there is no reason to throw the ball 2 feet above a receivers head on almost every throw, I'm not sure if he's being coached to do this, or if he just does it on his own, but it seems to be a staple Luck bad high throw tipped and picked. The O-line continues to be the achilles heel of the offense, by refusing to win their matchups and open run lanes, this isn't just last night, this is all season.

So, before everyone jumps on me for expressing my opinion, the sky isn't falling because IMHO the sky never got high enough off the ground to fall anyway.

Let me start by saying that I'm cautiously optimistic, as we will have this division wrapped up shortly, even with the expected loss of Bradshaw, once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen.

With home losses to Patriots, and Eagles and Road losses to Denver and Pittsburgh, we haven't beaten any playoff caliber teams this season, except maybe Baltimore, and we just squeaked that one out.

This defense is a complete bust when it comes to what we had hoped for, we spent big money in FA to build this defense into a unit that can make teams one dimensional by stopping the run and forcing them to throw at our better than average secondary. What we proved last night is that we can't do anything against a playoff caliber team, we are outmatched at coaching across the board and our guys can't execute even if we did have a good game plan. It really makes me sick to think that I bought into what they were selling only to find out it was snake oil.

The offense is OK, Andrew Luck is as advertised except he refuses to bring the ball down, there is no reason to throw the ball 2 feet above a receivers head on almost every throw, I'm not sure if he's being coached to do this, or if he just does it on his own, but it seems to be a staple Luck bad high throw tipped and picked. The O-line continues to be the achilles heel of the offense, by refusing to win their matchups and open run lanes, this isn't just last night, this is all season.

So, before everyone jumps on me for expressing my opinion, the sky isn't falling because IMHO the sky never got high enough off the ground to fall anyway.

bengals are currently leading their division and we dominated them. Still it's hard to argue against the point that the Colts are pretenders right now.

There are certain teams we match up better against and we do not match up against teams that can stack up their receiving options or can bully our DL. Few teams can bully our DL like the Patriots did yesterday. They got in a 6th OL as a 2nd TE for blocking purposes since they knew they were not going to pass 50 times against our pass D. Coaches should have made adjustments and gone to a 4 man front with a 5th DL and not a 3 man front with 4 LBs that are not stellar against the run.

Pass rush is sorely lacking and once Robert Mathis went down, we have to hope Newsome and Werner develop for the future but we are not there yet.

OL is definitely a disappointment against the better teams, IMO. We won't go anywhere and will always be viewed as a soft dome team until we can run the ball. We should know by now based on lessons learnt from the Peyton era.

I actually think we should win all of the remaining games to end up 12-4...although I predicted 11-5 again.

The season is not over.  The big problem is the old nemesis...the Pats.  They may win out as well, and a January trip to Foxborough more than likely dooms the season.

The front 7 (mainly the defensive linemen got zero burst last night.  Zero tackles for loss...ZERO.  We had 6 QB hits, Walden 'rocked' Brady for 3 hard hits....Redding was the only DL player to get any penetration....terrible.

The OL needs to bring it for 60 minutes every game.  Last night, however...they did not show up at all.  OK...

:rantoff:

The team is also guilty of not playing the best players. I don't understand why Newsome and Moncrief don't get more time. That's part of the reason we stuggle against these teams. Why not let Boom get some carries? Trent isn't doing much. And heck, Dewey McDonald was excellent on Special Teams. He was the best tackler last night.  He has at least earned the right to see some more snaps at Safety.

We don't have the personel nor coaching to beat the elite teams. Some we have but don't play. It's time to experiment. What we have is only working against mediocre teams.

The reason why Luck sometimes throws the ball two feet high, is the offensive line is not blocking and a defender has his hands on him.  The Colts play in the weakest division in the NFL. It is not saying much if the Colts win their division.  If the Colts make the playoffs, win their home playoff game, and go on the road; the Colts will likely lose.  This team is not very good right now.  The Colts got the perfect time in their schedule for a bi-week.  The Colts play in the weakest division.  Yet the Colts can only beat average playoff teams.  The NFL is fickle.  The Colts go win out and make a run in the playoffs.  Of course Richardson would have to run unconscious, the offensive line would need to learn to block, and the defense would need to learn to stop the run and pass.  These issues should have been resolved in the past three years.  Why is it the Patriots can play bench warmers and are 8-2.  Just makes no sense. 

The reason why Luck sometimes throws the ball two feet high, is the offensive line is not blocking and a defender has his hands on him.  The Colts play in the weakest division in the NFL. It is not saying much if the Colts win their division.  If the Colts make the playoffs, win their home playoff game, and go on the road; the Colts will likely lose.  This team is not very good right now.  The Colts got the perfect time in their schedule for a bi-week.  The Colts play in the weakest division.  Yet the Colts can only beat average playoff teams.  The NFL is fickle.  The Colts go win out and make a run in the playoffs.  Of course Richardson would have to run unconscious, the offensive line would need to learn to block, and the defense would need to learn to stop the run and pass.  These issues should have been resolved in the past three years.  Why is it the Patriots can play bench warmers and are 8-2.  Just makes no sense. 

maybe its the coaching. who figured?

It probably is, but it is not like Pagano has never seen the Patriots before.  The Patriots had exactly the same stats as the playoff game.  Did anyone watch film.  Or were they all playing Hee Haw with the ???? around gang?

What were they doing during bye week. Oh ya pull out same game plan used all season .

We are not a great team we struggle mightily against better than average teams.  Our saving grace right now is that we play in a bad division the only problem with that is the teams in the division are actually getting better see: Texans.

As someone mentioned it is very likely we are one and done again which as a Colts fan that is a pretty familiar feeling I said it when he left and I will say it again, Arians should have been our head coach all along but hind sight is what it is.

We start games extremely slow and are generally playing from behind for long stretches of games I think this is a coaching issue.  I am not saying the sky is falling or we should fire everyone but something needs to change or we will once again waste a great QB's career.

We are currently pretenders I have no doubt of this especially after watching last nights debacle.

We can't stop the run, we can't run the ball, we can't protect our QB he will not last getting beat up like this not matter how tough he is, we dont have a return game.

We do have a great QB, we do have great kickers, we do have a very good receiving core and very good tight ends.

There is hope and we are just a few pieces away but right now all I can hope for is that we make the playoffs and have one of those ah ha moments and things start to click.

Hate to agree but I have too. We have not beaten any elite team this year. If we can't beat an elite team than this team is not elite.

A.j green wws not playing

I understand that.  Still they are a playoff level team the Colts beat and beat soundly.  So if we are going to be truthful here that means we have to factor in when the Colts have a good win too.  It doesn't change the fact the Colts have real issues against truly elite teams but the Colts are not the Oakland Raiders either.  The Colts are a playoff level team they just aren't an elite team. 

The division is far from being wrapped up. The Texans are not going away.

The Texans will be going away.

I can't see them beating the Colts at Lucas Oil and they will struggle with the Bengals and Ravens.

Indy are favourites in every remaining game other than Dallas on the road.

I know football isn't played on paper, but there is very little chance of the Texans winning the South.